PDA

View Full Version : Truly Random Encounter Creator using any FG monster book

rob2e
January 11th, 2017, 23:50
For all you Fantasy Grounds users out there. Here is a Random Encounter Creator that will give you a truly random encounter for any level (1-20) party of 3 to 7 PCs in SECONDS. No prep, no planning, just click, click, click, and you've got appropriate random encounter.

This will utilize any combination of Fantasy Grounds module "monster books" that you have to just the SRD Bestiary, or any of the Monster Manual, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Tome of Beasts and/or Fifth Edition Foes. You decide.

This (only took me about 100+ hours) uses over 1,000 (yes one thousand) tables to generate the encounter formulas with the source books.

It's truly something I'm proud of!

It IS a DMs Guild item you can find at - https://www.dmsguild.com/product/202734/?affiliate_id=878507

Hope you all enjoy, and THANX for your support.

Thegroo
January 12th, 2017, 01:47
And bought.

rob2e
January 12th, 2017, 01:48
And bought.

:) Thumbs up!

LordEntrails
January 12th, 2017, 14:43
Sounds nice. Can't wait to get a chance to look at it!

Myrdin Potter
January 12th, 2017, 16:14
I picked it up this morning. Will take a good look at it this weekend.

rob2e
January 12th, 2017, 18:22
ThanX everyone, be sure and watch the video posted on the DMs Guild page.

spite
January 12th, 2017, 20:06
Absolutely bought. Even if I never use it, love your work :P

rob2e
January 12th, 2017, 20:08
Absolutely bought. Even if I never use it, love your work :P

Ha! ThanX Spite. Hope you WILL use it. Kill people! TPK TPK TPK!

spite
January 12th, 2017, 20:24
I just been fiddling with it. And I was about to come here all "ROB THE RESULTS AREN'T SHOWING!" Then I scrolled down the intructions some more, and now I'm just impressed. :P Good thinking man, I love that touch.

One question I have, I made the Fifth Edition Foes myself from a PDF, what dependency does it check for to get results for that? Will it just check for any monster from all activated modules with that name amongst it's results, or does it check for the module itself?

I was wondering, it's a little difficult to scroll through all 9 options of tables, would it be worth making a reference manual entry for each group of tables that people can link to (and therefore shortcut) that contains the tables for just that 1/9 groups inside?

drakonin
January 12th, 2017, 20:43
aaaaannnnnnnnnd bought. Thanks!

rob2e
January 12th, 2017, 20:51
aaaaannnnnnnnnd bought. Thanks!

ThanX drakonin!

spite
January 12th, 2017, 20:51
There's a few issues with this with the 3.2.2 test version. Want me to send you the errors I am getting?

rob2e
January 12th, 2017, 20:58
I just been fiddling with it. And I was about to come here all "ROB THE RESULTS AREN'T SHOWING!" Then I scrolled down the intructions some more, and now I'm just impressed. :P Good thinking man, I love that touch.

One question I have, I made the Fifth Edition Foes myself from a PDF, what dependency does it check for to get results for that? Will it just check for any monster from all activated modules with that name amongst it's results, or does it check for the module itself?

I was wondering, it's a little difficult to scroll through all 9 options of tables, would it be worth making a reference manual entry for each group of tables that people can link to (and therefore shortcut) that contains the tables for just that 1/9 groups inside?

Spite:

Yikes! Okay... The tables use links that pull from the module itself. I'm not too keen on how that's coded, but I assume the purchase of the module(s) by the user. I'm not sure it would work with a self-made (Par5e?) version of the monster book(s) because of the link it's pulling. It may, I just don't know. I'll bet Zacchaeus or Moon could answer that. I'd be curious actually, but I never took that into consideration. Again, I assumed the purchase of these modules and these tables were made for the convenience of those who had which is why I MADE SURE my goal was to build on other books besides the SRD. Because I wanted people to be able to use it even if they hadn't bought ANY of the 5E monster modules.

Actually you should never have to scroll through the tables. They are there of course (there's no way to hide them really) but you should never have to scroll through them. Just use the story template to generate the encounter. It's not intended that you would open up the list of 1000 tables and have to scroll through them. I hope I understood what you meant there.

Let me know if you need anything else.

rob2e
January 12th, 2017, 21:02
There's a few issues with this with the 3.2.2 test version. Want me to send you the errors I am getting?

Actually, it depends, what kind of errors? I don't really want to focus on fixing things that ain't broke (yet). 3.2.2 is only in test. Are the errors things that will definitely not work when they update? I guess I need details.

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2017, 21:22
Spite:

Yikes! Okay... The tables use links that pull from the module itself. I'm not too keen on how that's coded, but I assume the purchase of the module(s) by the user. I'm not sure it would work with a self-made (Par5e?) version of the monster book(s) because of the link it's pulling. It may, I just don't know.

Depends on how you made the module. If you did in in FG and just pulled the links into the table then the only place it will point is wherever you pulled the link from. If you did it in par5e (or XML) and used anonymous linking then it will look through any open modules looking for the relevant information.

Actually, it depends, what kind of errors? I don't really want to focus on fixing things that ain't broke (yet). 3.2.2 is only in test. Are the errors things that will definitely not work when they update? I guess I need details.

As per a recent post from Moon Wizard 3.2.2 will be out next week (barring anything major cropping up)

rob2e
January 12th, 2017, 21:32
ThanX Zacchaeus.

Yes, I did build it in FG so it pulls library modules with those specific names, so I think the ol' "I built it myself using par5e" might not be good for what I did. I never even considered that possibility. Sorry Spite.

Regarding the errors, now I'm curious. What the heck could be wrong?

spite
January 12th, 2017, 21:47
When I follow the encounter creation steps, I generate a link with the following [4. Level 5 - Party of 4] https://puu.sh/tkbJW/484d6d16e3.jpg

It generates a link of https://puu.sh/tkbKT/117c30c79b.jpg

I open and create a new encounter as specified https://puu.sh/tkbNg/0b08fd909b.jpg

I drag the little link from the generated story into the encounter, https://puu.sh/tkbOX/98d24037da.jpg

I replace the number with the "1" as directed https://puu.sh/tkbQS/e74c50ec3b.jpg

I hit generate and get the following error Script Error: [string "generate"]:1: attempt to call field 'generate' (a userdata value)
Script Error: [string "generate"]:1: attempt to call field 'generate' (a userdata value)

I feel like I am following the steps correctly?

IT IS possible these are issues with 3.2.2. I'll fiddle with some other encounter generation, and see if it does the same to them, might need to report in 3.2.2 testing.

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2017, 21:51
There's an error popping up when generating a random encounter. However I've tested on other random encounters and so that's an FG error not one in your mod. I'll report that in the appropriate thread. Spite may be seeing something else, however.

EDIT: Ah, same error. Looks like that's an FG issue spite
Edit 2: And he ninja'd me on the 3.2.2 test release thread too :)

spite
January 12th, 2017, 21:53
Yea I just tested other stuff too, and have reported in the 3.2.2 thread. Sorry Rob! Didn't mean to get you panicked!

rob2e
January 12th, 2017, 22:01
When I follow the encounter creation steps, I generate a link with the following [4. Level 5 - Party of 4] https://puu.sh/tkbJW/484d6d16e3.jpg

It generates a link of https://puu.sh/tkbKT/117c30c79b.jpg

I open and create a new encounter as specified https://puu.sh/tkbNg/0b08fd909b.jpg

I drag the little link from the generated story into the encounter, https://puu.sh/tkbOX/98d24037da.jpg

I replace the number with the "1" as directed https://puu.sh/tkbQS/e74c50ec3b.jpg

I hit generate and get the following error Script Error: [string "generate"]:1: attempt to call field 'generate' (a userdata value)
Script Error: [string "generate"]:1: attempt to call field 'generate' (a userdata value)

I feel like I am following the steps correctly?

IT IS possible these are issues with 3.2.2. I'll fiddle with some other encounter generation, and see if it does the same to them, might need to report in 3.2.2 testing.

As per Zacchaeus, you are following the steps correctly, but that's an FG 3.2.2 problem I guess.

Oooooo were we instrumental in discovering a bug. That makes me feel important.

rob2e
January 12th, 2017, 22:02
Yea I just tested other stuff too, and have reported in the 3.2.2 thread. Sorry Rob! Didn't mean to get you panicked!

DEpanicked.

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2017, 22:16
In Table 1.Level 3 - Party of 7 row 11 there's a spurious 1+1d3 in the middle of the table called (What are the chances of me randomly picking those values and finding that error eh?)

JohnD
January 12th, 2017, 22:17
Purchased. Wife was nagging so I couldn't do much trial/error but seems good.

bawsr
January 12th, 2017, 23:09
ok here you go.. screen shot of what happened. Selection made was 9 level 11 party of 7 17422

really what I was dreaming of. It would be nice if automatically built encounters and didn't save in the story pages :) If we are going with wish list you can build a random dungeon too :D

Ok really a good product. The one other idea is more of a terrain chart rather than a level chart :) Forest, mountains...

Also there is beasts of legend coldwood codex that I own.

Keep working on these great things!

rob2e
January 13th, 2017, 01:39
In Table 1.Level 3 - Party of 7 row 11 there's a spurious 1+1d3 in the middle of the table called (What are the chances of me randomly picking those values and finding that error eh?)

1 in 100,000 ish. Lemme check on that...

Ok, that's fixed. Uploading changes. DMs Guild not responding. Must be a lot of people hammering my item. Wow, that just sounds wrong.

rob2e
January 13th, 2017, 02:27
Purchased. Wife was nagging so I couldn't do much trial/error but seems good.

Wife agro! Make a CON save!

rob2e
January 13th, 2017, 02:45
ok here you go.. screen shot of what happened. Selection made was 9 level 11 party of 7 17422

really what I was dreaming of. It would be nice if automatically built encounters and didn't save in the story pages :) If we are going with wish list you can build a random dungeon too :D

Ok really a good product. The one other idea is more of a terrain chart rather than a level chart :) Forest, mountains...

Also there is beasts of legend coldwood codex that I own.

Keep working on these great things!

Yes, it WOULD be nice if it factored in terrain types, and other things. But it eventually becomes an impossible tasks. I really thought this out prior to developing it. I think it's what's best for making random encounters.

As far as random dungeons, isn't there a table that does that in DMG already?

Nickademus
January 13th, 2017, 02:46
Wife agro! Make a CON save!

*sigh* I remember the days when it was a DEX save...

LordEntrails
January 13th, 2017, 03:15
That's because you both failed your CHA save. If you had made that one, or maybe a WIS in the first place... *G*

My older brothers trained me before I got married to say, whenever in doubt, "Yes Dear!"

rob2e
January 13th, 2017, 04:34

Yup. 1st it's quickness, THEN it's toughness. Me = never married. WISDOM!

Zhern
January 13th, 2017, 21:01
Picked it up just now. I'll check it out when I get home. Looking forward to it!

Thoruk
January 13th, 2017, 22:29
Picked it up Today! Love it!

I just created a ton of random Encounter and put it in an extra Table, makes me roll this for a whole party lvl just with one click.
Sadly i just have a group of two players, so i downscale it one lvl and say its a party of 4 (I guess in higher lvls it will be just a party of 3 with that workaround) but it works quite good :)

With the Included 5e Random Monster Tables, you can also mix and match if you like different Monsters in the random Encounter.
Just add
[1d6x][1. Random Monsters CR 01]
[1d3x][1. Random Monsters CR 02]
[1d4x][1. Random Monsters CR 03]
Or something like that to a Story Template and then you just have to drag the outcome in to a encounter window or directly in the combat tracker. (I love the challenge to come up with a story why now a Zombie Oger attacks at the same time as a Priest and a Cultist)
Sadly in the lower lvls there is not much Variant as there are "just" Monsters in it from CR1+ No CR1/8 CR1/4 or CR 1/2 at least i couldnt find them :P still absolutly love it as a Tool

rob2e
January 14th, 2017, 01:00
Picked it up just now. I'll check it out when I get home. Looking forward to it!

Sweet!

rob2e
January 14th, 2017, 01:02
Picked it up Today! Love it!

I just created a ton of random Encounter and put it in an extra Table, makes me roll this for a whole party lvl just with one click.
Sadly i just have a group of two players, so i downscale it one lvl and say its a party of 4 (I guess in higher lvls it will be just a party of 3 with that workaround) but it works quite good :)

With the Included 5e Random Monster Tables, you can also mix and match if you like different Monsters in the random Encounter.
Just add
[1d6x][1. Random Monsters CR 01]
[1d3x][1. Random Monsters CR 02]
[1d4x][1. Random Monsters CR 03]
Or something like that to a Story Template and then you just have to drag the outcome in to a encounter window or directly in the combat tracker. (I love the challenge to come up with a story why now a Zombie Oger attacks at the same time as a Priest and a Cultist)
Sadly in the lower lvls there is not much Variant as there are "just" Monsters in it from CR1+ No CR1/8 CR1/4 or CR 1/2 at least i couldnt find them :P still absolutly love it as a Tool

Great idea! Glad you thought of that. I may one day add the CR zero - 1/2 monsters if I get and extra 6 billion hours of time. Ha!

This initially started out as a way to get a "random" monster because my d100 CRIT/FUMBLE tables call for that sometimes. Then.... it all got away from me and hundreds of hours later... well!