PDA

View Full Version : How do you do 2-hex (or more) tokens? And how do you scale the things?

weselbold
January 11th, 2017, 19:02
My gaming group and I recently decided to switch to GURPS and give Fantasy Grounds a try. Before we were playing Savage Worlds on roll20, but we heard a lot about the limited support and capabilities of that VTT for GURPS and remembered some old FG licenses we had lying around from the times of our first steps into the world of VTT gaming. Now I am trying to set up the campaign (using that great looking new ruleset for GURPS!) and encountered a first problem while creating a "Dire Wolf" npc:

I've put one of the free tokens by Devin Night on a base depicting the different facings of a 2-hex creature in GURPS and came out with something looking like this:

Now, when I put this token on a map it snaps to the center of the image - which is pretty much the line between the two hexes of the base - and it rotates around that center point as well. Is there a way in FG to make more than one hex large creatures and snap-to-grid possible?

Another thing, I was trying to find out, is, how to size my tokens in a way, that they don't have to be resized whenever I put them on a map. I am trying to stick to a fixed size whenever I set up the grid (say 50 (is that pixel?) on a horizontal hex grid) - how large should I make a 1-hex token to fit into that size?

Litvyak
January 11th, 2017, 19:30
You might adding empty space to make the token three hexes long? I haven't tried it on FG, but I know it works on other VTTs I've tried.

weselbold
January 11th, 2017, 19:54
You might adding empty space to make the token three hexes long? I haven't tried it on FG, but I know it works on other VTTs I've tried.

Thank you, Litvyak! That worked like a charm. I increased the size of that token and arranged the front hex to be centered in the center of the image. Now I can turn snap-to-grid on and the token rotates around the front hex. FG even ignores the transparent space around the actual image!

Now I just need to figure out the right size for my tokens..

damned
January 12th, 2017, 00:33
I just had a quick look at the new GURPS ruleset and it looks like size was not added to the system.
You can go into Options and turn Auto Scale Off and then keep your tokens a consistent size - Medium 50px, Large 100px, Huge 150px etc.
Then FG will use the image as is.
You might log this into the new GURPS ruleset thread itself.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36043-GURPS-4E-Core-Ruleset

ronnke
January 12th, 2017, 00:56
I just had a quick look at the new GURPS ruleset and it looks like size was not added to the system.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36043-GURPS-4E-Core-Ruleset

What do you mean size? None of the token stuff was changed from Core.

damned
January 12th, 2017, 01:03
What do you mean size? None of the token stuff was changed from Core.

The NPC sheet in CoreRPG has two fields - Size and Reach - I dont see Size on the GURPS NPC sheet.

ronnke
January 12th, 2017, 01:28
In the NPC Sheet for GURPS there are the fields SM and Reach, these get porting into the tracker. Same for PCs.

damned
January 12th, 2017, 01:42
In the NPC Sheet for GURPS there are the fields SM and Reach, these get porting into the tracker. Same for PCs.

What are the right values for these fields?

damned
January 12th, 2017, 01:44
What are the right values for these fields?

Actually - it looks like its 1, 2, 3 etc
Thanks ronnke!

damned
January 12th, 2017, 01:46
Actually - it looks like its 1, 2, 3 etc
Thanks ronnke!

weselbold if you leave token auto-scale on - then so long as you set the size in the NPC it will scale properly.

Andraax
January 12th, 2017, 02:24
It's the GURPS Size Modifier. Humans are 0. Smaller than human is -1 (or -2, -3, etc for successively smaller creatures). Larger than human is 1 (or 2, 3, etc for successively larger creatures).

1 is roughly 9' in height. -1 is roughly 3' in height.

weselbold
January 12th, 2017, 12:12
weselbold if you leave token auto-scale on - then so long as you set the size in the NPC it will scale properly.

OK! That seems to work with all 1-hex sized tokens. The others I might still have to resize manually - is there a way to save the size on the NPC, so I don't have to resize it whenever I use the token?

Andraax
January 12th, 2017, 14:04
You can set the SM on the NPC record and it gets carried to the CT.

However, playing around with this, it doesn't seem to use a larger token until SM +2. SM +1 should also be considered "large" and scale the token larger. For example, an Ogre in GURPS would be SM +1, which most games would consider "large".

ronnke
January 12th, 2017, 14:09
The type of token used also plays a part in how it displays when dropped onto the map. Some don't scale well, while other can be perfect.