PDA

View Full Version : Interest Check: AD&D1e Game

taoistpunk
January 11th, 2017, 18:31
I'm just throwing some feelers out to see if anyone would be interested in playing in a 1st ed Ad&d game. A new ruleset has recently been posted and it looks slick and works well, certainly due in part to it being layered over the Castles & Crusades ruleset. I know there are alot of Old Grogs on this board who remember well the old days and the old ways...:pirate:

This is Old School, so descending AC, THAC0, rules for grappling, Deadly and fast and fun!

Reply to this post or PM me if you'd be interested in playing.

Asterionaisien
January 11th, 2017, 18:43
What timezone are you? I'm on gmt+1

taoistpunk
January 11th, 2017, 19:00
GMT -5 (So US EST).

rbeard101
January 11th, 2017, 19:32
I would definitely be interested depending on when and how often.

vodokar
January 11th, 2017, 19:46
I would, clearly, be very interested, if I can make the time.

taoistpunk
January 11th, 2017, 20:01
Aha! Your participation would be quite welcome! Time is an issue/consideration for us all. I was thinking of a 1 or 2x/month game, so as to give some sense of regularity and continuity but not commit anyone too deeply time-wise. A weeknight game that runs for only 2-3 hrs/session. I'm waiting to see what sort of response this thread gets and then we can solidify something.

Do you have a pref time or day-wise?

leozelig
January 12th, 2017, 02:30
I am interested. I am the same time zone as you (GMT -5), best game nights for me are Wed or Thurs.

taoistpunk
January 12th, 2017, 02:44
Damn Leo, I'd be scared to run you LOL. One of the Godfathers...

In all seriousness...Wed is usually good for me, thurs is touch n go but manageable most weeks. Let's see if we can get 3 solid 'Yes's' on this thread and then we can start something. Really wanna give this ruleset a testdrive. Hopefully Vodokar is good for Wed or thurs...

Vodokar? Whaddaya think?

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 03:15
I can make any day of the week. The real issue is that I have to have a break between 9:30 pm est to 10:15 pm est, because I have to drive my wife to work. If that can work, I'm a yes. Oh, and I forgot to mention, whenever I play, my 16 year old son joins me, so, that is actually 2 yes's.

Asterionaisien
January 12th, 2017, 07:16
Too bad i cannot partecipate, your weeknight would be dawn time for me :(

I'm creating a play group on these days made of many new players, maybe I can persuade them to play AD&D with the excuse to try the roots of the role playing hobby, like playing history.

taoistpunk
January 12th, 2017, 12:35
Ok. So given that new data, how does everyone feel about wed. From 7pm est to 9:15pm est?

This works well for me as I have a Labyrinth Lord game right after to play in.

With 3 we get egg roll ....I mean...we have a reasonable group. Will keep the thread open for a 4th...

rbeard101
January 12th, 2017, 18:16
That time & day is great for me! Will this be voice or text only? I prefer Voice & am willing to volunteer my personal teamspeak server if you like.

taoistpunk
January 12th, 2017, 18:19
I do voice...never have played an FG game w/o it. I'm fine with either Teamspeak or Skype..whatever folks like. If you wanna send me your TS Server info I will get set up for it.

We are gonna need an email pool heh. Getting a bit cumbersome here

leozelig
January 13th, 2017, 00:00
That time slot works for me, although I might be 10-15 minutes late sometimes. I am a big fan of the 2 hour session these days.

I vote for Teamspeak, FG has a server on TS also.

vodokar
January 13th, 2017, 00:07
Time works for me.

Zhern
January 13th, 2017, 03:58
I would love to play in this game! I have a game that starts at 9 CST and runs till midnight, but the AD&D game would run 6-8:15 CST. If there is room, consider this my request to join!

JohnD
January 13th, 2017, 05:34
I can't add an extra game to my schedule and stay married or employed (especially with recent "changes" to scheduling)... or I'd be looking at this as well.

taoistpunk
January 13th, 2017, 15:09
OK Guys...so the Group is as follows:

Leozelig
Vodokar & Son
Zhern

A good place to start. Next Wed, 7pm to 9:15pm EST will be our Session 0.5. Character Creation!

Get your thinking caps on and start to formulate, perhaps even post your general ideas on this board so everyone will know what the party makeup shapes up into. I will be working on getting the first adventure built, maps loaded, encounters counted, pins pinned and all of the other fun stuff.

I know we are staring into the gaping maw of FG update 3.2.2, so hopefully little will break. I've been keeping up with the forum posts and I know Vodokar has some concerns, but hopefully all will be ironed out and we can have a good time playing (and maybe breaking) the new ruleset!

if you need to get a msg to me quickly, email taoistpunk (at) gmail (dot) com

Howard

Zhern
January 13th, 2017, 16:04
Oh man, I'm seriously excited and can't wait! What specific resources do you prefer us to use? Not sure how you feel about Unearthed Arcana.

taoistpunk
January 13th, 2017, 16:41
I have access to all of them (I think), so just use em all (Except OA). Multiclassing isn't built-in so you will have to sheet-manage it. If you play a LG paladin I won't stop you, but I also won't control the other players from making your life hard to live. LOL

vodokar
January 13th, 2017, 17:48
UA is not accounted for in the ruleset combat code; primarily because I don't own it yet and have not ever read it. So, no barbarians yet. Sorry. I would go ahead and get it, but I've spent way too much on kickstarters recently.

Zhern
January 13th, 2017, 20:30
Alrighty, I'll stick with the PHB. Plenty of opportunity there.

leozelig
January 13th, 2017, 22:59
I was never a big fan of UA.

How should we roll ability scores? Do you want us to wait until game time?

taoistpunk
January 14th, 2017, 03:52
I always used 4d6, drop lowest, in order. If it's total junk and you feel like you need a refresh, np. I expect not to see a load of 18's in a row ;)

You can prep all the basics so we can focus on class items, equipment, etc. work on your names...that's always the hardest part anyway LOL

Completely stoked! Prep has begun...you guys prefer your orcs with Pig faces, right?

Zhern
January 14th, 2017, 03:55
Thoughts on what each of you want to play? I'm fine with filling a core role - fighter or cleric.

vodokar
January 14th, 2017, 04:12
I normally like a fighter, but willing and able to play any.

I can hardly believe we are gonna do this. Gettin' Goose Bumps. Let's party like it 1978!

Zhern
January 14th, 2017, 05:09
I can take cleric if you want to roll fighter. I know what you mean. As I was reading through the PHB a bit ago it all came flooding back. I had forgotten how much I loved the drawing of the Paladin in Hell. I wanted to be that guy when I was 10 years old!

leozelig
January 14th, 2017, 05:12
I like rogues and wizards :p

But seriously, depending on my rolls, I am happy to play a magic-user or thief.

leozelig
January 14th, 2017, 13:11
How is the ruleset with multi-class characters? Should I avoid these, or do we want to put it to the test?

vodokar
January 14th, 2017, 15:29
Multi-Class is automatic for thief skills and cleric turning, but you will have to manually override the numbers for combat and saving throws.

leozelig
January 14th, 2017, 16:05
Ok because I got some nice rolls for a MU, but I could definitely make an elf F/MU or MU/T.

vodokar
January 14th, 2017, 18:54
Go ahead and play the MU/T if you want. Just use the mini-modifier field to adjust the numbers for saving throws and attack to-hit based on the DMG tables.

Zhern
January 14th, 2017, 19:09
I ended up with 12, 15, 13, 12, 14, 7. That will make a decent cleric or a thief, or cleric/thief.

vodokar
January 14th, 2017, 19:13
You aren't using the current version, Zhern.

Zhern
January 14th, 2017, 19:28
Yeah, I haven't moved it over to my FG directory yet. Thanks for the reminder!

taoistpunk
January 14th, 2017, 19:40
Super Stoked. The Party seems great so far. I spent the morning taking my son (11) to see Princess Bride at the local art theater, but now I'm at the desk and prepping. Keep me posted on character stuff...I'm going to keep the first adventure pretty basic, so we all can get a feel for how this thing drives (my guess is like a conversion van with a wizard on one side and a dragon on the other)...

leozelig
January 14th, 2017, 21:53
Here are my rolls:
S 13
I 16
W 13
D 12
Co 13
Ch 9

Elf bonuses would give me +1 Dex and -1 Con. I am leaning towards multi-classing for the HP and weapons.

vodokar, any thoughts on what you and your son are playing?

vodokar
January 14th, 2017, 23:00
I know he will likely play a fighter. He loves being on the front lines and bashing things. He has played thieves in the past though. He hates playing wizards or clerics.

As for me, I am going to wait and see how things turn out. The one thing I do know is that I am not a thief/rogue type player. I could play any of the other archetypes.

I'll give you a tip on the multi-classing. Demi-humans are required to level simultaneously in both classes, unlike other versions of the game or human dual profession in AD&D; hence, if you put the class that is best at combat in the first slot, you will be all set up; as that is the slot which gets read for the combat code. You'll still have to modify the saving throws individually, but that isn't too hard to do.

Zhern
January 15th, 2017, 00:04
Alright, so let's figure this:

1. miniVod - Fighter
2. Leo - Wiggly Fingers
3. Vod - TBD
4. Zhern - TBD

If you aren't the thieving type, vod, I can play the thief if you want to play the cleric. We'll then have the main 4 covered and that should give us a decent chance of survival.

Thoughts?

vodokar
January 15th, 2017, 00:54
I can do the cleric. Still the 2nd best at smacking people. Are we doing rolls in order, or put them where you want?

taoistpunk
January 15th, 2017, 01:16
I can do the cleric. Still the 2nd best at smacking people. Are we doing rolls in order, or put them where you want?

in order, but of course, if the entire batch just looks terrible we can tweak or you can reroll...again, just no characters with 18's littered about ;) I trust you guys to create characters that work and make sense...especially you Vod!! ;)

leozelig
January 15th, 2017, 03:10
Put me down for an elf F/MU. He will be a ranged fighter since he can't wear armor and needs to stay clear of melee for spell casting. Hopefully, I roll enough gold for a bow! :D

vodokar
January 15th, 2017, 03:18
I believe there is an exception for elves. Don't they start with mithral armor, which allows them to cast while wearing their special elven armor? That's what I remember, anyways.

Don't forget, old school, the balance with the advantages of demi-humans were strict level limits.

taoistpunk
January 15th, 2017, 03:35
I believe there is an exception for elves. Don't they start with mithral armor, which allows them to cast while wearing their special elven armor? That's what I remember, anyways.

Don't forget, old school, the balance with the advantages of demi-humans were strict level limits.

umm...nope on the mithril...funny and good try. I didn't even NEED to look that up lol

the Elven F/MU is a classic choice, with the elven ranged bonus of +1 to hit. Gotta drop the bow to cast, which in my worl takes no time if you aren't making a move in the same round, however it takes a full round to pick that bow up and ready it for an attack...so make sure you drop it at the right time (I don't know if there is an actual rule for that, but it's the way I usually play. if anyone has rule info on readying a dropped weapon lemme know)

yep..elven level limits are f 7 and MU 11, which will be some feat if we actually get there. that's alot of XP split between two classes.

Makes you wonder how Gromph became the Archmage of Menzobarrenzen...

vodokar
January 15th, 2017, 03:54
I'm not sure where I picked up the "mithral explanation", but;

page 16 of PHB: Under Elves: "Although able to operate freely with the benefits of armor, weapons, and magical items available to the classes the character is operating in, any thieving is restricted due to armor and weaponry usable by the thief class."

page 33 of PHB: Under Multi-Classed Character: Fighter/Magic-User: "Obviously, this combination allows excellent armor protection, the use of weaponry and spells"

Ultimately, it is DM's call;

but everyone I have ever known interpreted those things as: Elves and Half Elves are an exception to the non-armor casting rule. (That is why they get the +1 bonus on swords also.) I don't think the statement on page 33 means they strip their armor in the middle of battle to cast a spell and put it back on.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, though it escapes me, that the reason is that they don't use normal metal for their armor; they are fey, after all, and don't like cold-iron; which is the mythology behind the race. The obvious downside of this is that they can't just pick up any metal armor they find laying around in a dungeon and use it; because of the cold-iron thing.

Aha! Found it.

page 33 under The Character with Two Classes: "Note that this does not allow spell use while armor clad, such as an elven fighter/magic-user is able to do."

vodokar
January 15th, 2017, 04:00
Sorry, I'm being my worst nightmare. I hate rules lawyers and believe the DM calls the show. But, I knew that I had a case. Sorry.

Cleric's Rolls: 17436

taoistpunk
January 15th, 2017, 04:21
Sorry, I'm being my worst nightmare. I hate rules lawyers and believe the DM calls the show. But, I knew that I had a case. Sorry.

I was reading the phb too..lol

Not sure I would allow them to cast with anything above leather...perhaps mithril but they sure as heck don't start the game with mithril armor...lol. Lucky to have enough gp for a bow..lol

I fully expect some rules lawyering, and if I'm making an error and you correct me that's fine...been a while since I played 1e, but some things I just don't do....like say, material components. So usually my rulebreaking is in favor of the pc. Often it boils down to less bookkeeping

vodokar
January 15th, 2017, 04:25
Yeah, there are some things no one used generally. Material components are good to hand wave most of the time; but every once in a while it can be a good hook for a quest.

Not to worry, I never argue rules during a game. Only out of game. I expect the DM to keep a fluid motion and to look up things later; not sit there arguing rules with a player.

As for the elven armor; I will buy that he doesn't start with it. Just as long as it is a possibility; because it is the elf's heritage and mythology.

leozelig
January 15th, 2017, 16:07
Shortly after posting that, I remembered that 1st edition allows spell casting in armor for multi-class characters. Only a multi-class thief is restricted to leather armor when using thief skills.

I wasn't going to ask for mithral armor, so no problem there, but unless the DM has a house rule against it, I was planning to wear chainmail. I only have 1 spell and 4 hp after all, so I don't think asking for AC 5 is a big deal! But I will defer to the DM of course :)

I rolled for starting spells per the DMG and got Push, Feather Fall, and Find Familiar - at first, Push was a little disappointing, but after reading the description, I think it will be fun! It's kind of like Light in terms of its versatility.

leozelig
January 15th, 2017, 16:34
yep..elven level limits are f 7 and MU 11, which will be some feat if we actually get there. that's alot of XP split between two classes.

Makes you wonder how Gromph became the Archmage of Menzobarrenzen...

And with my ability scores, my limits are actually F 5 and MU 9, but I highly doubt that my PC will live that long!

I fully expect some rules lawyering, and if I'm making an error and you correct me that's fine...been a while since I played 1e, but some things I just don't do....like say, material components. So usually my rulebreaking is in favor of the pc. Often it boils down to less bookkeeping

For some spells, I will self-enforce material components even if you don't care. For example, Find Familiar requires a 100 gp material component, so I will wait until I can afford the component before casting. By the way, I noticed that Spider Climb requires the caster to eat a live spider, eww!

taoistpunk
January 15th, 2017, 17:28
you MUST eat the Spider!!!

lol

I don't have a huge problem with chainmail...beyond that you will be too restricted to cast effectively. It was a big loophole and led to many arguments/discussions at the gaming table. Some believed that no armor, regardless of the added class, was allowed. I always assumed it was a matter of movement (somatic) casting, so with small mods chainmail can be worn, but anything affording greater protection covers too much to make it possible to get most spells off.

I always preferred MU/Thief myself, a big Mouser fan...

and yeah..PC death is a thing, so prepping a second character or at least having a concept in mind isn't a bad idea.

jmucchiello
January 16th, 2017, 05:20
THAC0 is 2nd ed. 1st ed uses a non-formula to hit chart where 20 is repeated 6 times before 21 is required to hit. And 21 can only be a hit using magic.

Otherwise, wish I could participate. I've probably forgotten more AD&D than any other game. :)

vodokar
January 16th, 2017, 05:44
THAC0 is 2nd ed. 1st ed uses a non-formula to hit chart where 20 is repeated 6 times before 21 is required to hit. And 21 can only be a hit using magic.

Otherwise, wish I could participate. I've probably forgotten more AD&D than any other game. :)

We know this. I am the person who coded the combat engine for the ruleset; so, believe me, I know about the repeating 20's. I don't see anywhere in the thread where anyone mentioned THAC0. Was there a point to saying that? Just curious.

quux
January 16th, 2017, 08:18
I don't know about Mithral, but I know elven chain mail is a thing, woven by female elves in their youth only one set is made per lifetime. but I digress it might be 2nd ed rule there.

jmucchiello
January 16th, 2017, 12:02
We know this. I am the person who coded the combat engine for the ruleset; so, believe me, I know about the repeating 20's. I don't see anywhere in the thread where anyone mentioned THAC0. Was there a point to saying that? Just curious.

From the first post:

This is Old School, so descending AC, THAC0, rules for grappling, Deadly and fast and fun!

So if you coded it, does it use 1st Ed combat tables, or 2nd Ed THAC0? Oh, and did you actually code the grappling rules?

damned
January 16th, 2017, 13:40
From the first post:

So if you coded it, does it use 1st Ed combat tables, or 2nd Ed THAC0? Oh, and did you actually code the grappling rules?

He did it does and it does.

taoistpunk
January 16th, 2017, 14:16
Dudes just mad cause he's not playing..Lol...

Got lots of prep done this weekend...Today will be some random encounters...Gotta have those!!

Zhern
January 16th, 2017, 22:38
Heh, that gave me a lol.

Are we going to start on this Wednesday?

leozelig
January 16th, 2017, 23:31
I'm only playing if we use THAC0 :p

vodokar
January 16th, 2017, 23:48
From the first post:

Guess you were right, there was one reference, in error, to THAC0.

Nonetheless, this ruleset, currently, is dedicated to being as faithful of a conversion of the Gygax version of AD&D as I could do.

Eventually, it might be expanded upon to include features from 2nd edition as options; but that won't be in the near future; and it wouldn't be without someone that is an expert with those rules advising me, because I do not own and never have read or played the 2nd edition rules.

And yes, I really did include the grappling, pummeling and overbear system.

taoistpunk
January 17th, 2017, 00:37
Yup.. Wed at 7pm est. I will need to set up teamspeak and get everyone the server deets...

taoistpunk
January 17th, 2017, 00:55
also, DMG 1e Appendix E was a matrix of monsters, and column 2 was To Hit A.C.0, which was the first time I remember seeing/using thac0

so it did exist before 2e, but 2e placed it more firmly in the monster listing

damned
January 17th, 2017, 01:16
also, DMG 1e Appendix E was a matrix of monsters, and column 2 was To Hit A.C.0, which was the first time I remember seeing/using thac0

so it did exist before 2e, but 2e placed it more firmly in the monster listing

Before 2e? It was in BX and I think BECMI too.
Waaaaaay before 2e.

taoistpunk
January 17th, 2017, 01:19
Before 2e? It was in BX and I think BECMI too.
Waaaaaay before 2e.

I recall a chart, perhaps on a DM Screen, that used THACO, or at least To Hit A.C. 0 in the title, so THAC0 was something we def. said before 2e

taoistpunk
January 17th, 2017, 01:21
Is everyone still in for WED?? It will essentially be our session 0.5, where we get all the PC's loaded, equipped, etc....and if we get through that quickly we can drop into the game world. I'm going to homebrew it I think. I considered Greyhawk...anyone have any thoughts on this? My Greyhawk history knowledge is very foggy, as I primarily ran homebrew worlds back 'in the day', and still do now.

Anyone having any issues or problems with character concept or creation I can help with?

Zhern
January 17th, 2017, 02:06
I'm good to go for Wednesday. I'm not too picky on worlds as long as it isn't Forgotten Realms. I am going to have a backup character or two...just in case.

TerryS
January 17th, 2017, 02:13
if still need one more illl load up those rules and roll up a toon, been playing since 1978 on and off, i have all the old hard back books on the shelf in the office next to me

leozelig
January 17th, 2017, 04:28
I am good for Wed. My PC is pretty well fleshed out so maybe I will work on my backup PC.

rbeard101
January 17th, 2017, 16:47
Can I still get in on this? I think I was lost in the shuffle :-(

taoistpunk
January 17th, 2017, 18:12
Can I still get in on this? I think I was lost in the shuffle :-(

Ya got real quiet, so I didn't see your hand still raised :). You dialed in early, so I'll allow it. That will make 5 so I'm calling the party done and done. Just read back over the posts, figure out what you want to play, and let us know...

rbeard101
January 17th, 2017, 18:28
Yeah, sorry about that. I got pulled away Friday for work and then spent the weekend at my son's swim meet. Did we get a thief? If so, I may lean towards a Ranger or Monk if you'll be lenient on the dice rolls - I NEVER roll high for character creation...

Offer for my Teamserver still goes, but I'll need to get everyone the password without posting to the public forum

taoistpunk
January 17th, 2017, 18:46
Yeah, sorry about that. I got pulled away Friday for work and then spent the weekend at my son's swim meet. Did we get a thief? If so, I may lean towards a Ranger or Monk if you'll be lenient on the dice rolls - I NEVER roll high for character creation...

Offer for my Teamserver still goes, but I'll need to get everyone the password without posting to the public forum

"I always used 4d6, drop lowest, in order. If it's total junk and you feel like you need a refresh, np. I expect not to see a load of 18's in a row

You can prep all the basics so we can focus on class items, equipment, etc. work on your names...that's always the hardest part anyway LOL"

that was from prev. post...you can go back and read..Leo is playing F/MU, I think we have a cleric...play what you like..ranger is fine. I'm not gonna houserule the crap out of it initially, we can just play and houserules will appear as need arises.

Zhern
January 17th, 2017, 20:42
Yeah, I ended up going with the thief, rbeard101.

leozelig
January 17th, 2017, 23:51
Another melee-capable PC would be great! My F/MU is more of a ranged guy.

vodokar
January 17th, 2017, 23:59
Greyhawk would be awesome. Are you aware that there is an entire website devoted to greyhawk with all the maps and information that you could ever need? Site seems to be down right now, but here is the link: https://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/index.php.

I need to make our characters tonight.

One thing I should tell you. I don't spend time making up a long detailed background for characters. Two reasons, 1) high probability of death at low levels and 2) I philosophically have a problem with making it sound like my green little no-nothing guy that was helping down at the stables wiping horses asses for a living just 2 days ago is some big shot with a past worth writing down. Zero to Hero. That's the way I roll. His or Her destiny is yet to be written. Respect and notoriety have to be earned.

As for my son, I should tell you, he has asperger's syndrome and doesn't get into the roleplaying part of the game. He makes a good fighter though, like an attack dog, he will attack anything that moves and kill it dead for ya, but you might want to keep him on a short leash, in case you want to parlay. If you can't tell, he loves combat. We've been playing D&D together since he was 7. He gets a thrill out of it and is pretty good with tactics.

Zhern
January 18th, 2017, 02:42
That works for me, vodokar - I don't make up detailed backstory either. I have a feeling we are all pretty cut and dried when it comes to how we roll. And it will be great to have your son playing too!

Zhern
January 18th, 2017, 17:11
I'm still undecided on the race of my thief. I'm leaning towards Dwarf (probably my all-time favorite race) but also considering a Halfling. I'll make a decision by this evening.

rbeard101
January 18th, 2017, 17:22
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AHeRzPQGNSY1g5YgI went with a Human Ranger

STR 17
DEX 13
CON 15
INT 14
WIS 17
CHA 9

taoistpunk
January 18th, 2017, 17:54
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AHeRzPQGNSY1g5YgI went with a Human Ranger

STR 17
DEX 13
CON 15
INT 14
WIS 17
CHA 9

Looks good! See you at the game tonight...will send you login info shortly

Crisp
January 21st, 2017, 06:02
I would be interested, Central Time so an hour behind you. Cannot make Tuesday or Wednesday nights. Play in a tabletop AD&D game regularly and like C&C.

vodokar
January 21st, 2017, 08:16
Unfortunately, we have already started on wednesday nights, Crisp. It's unfortunate that night doesn't work for you.

However, don't worry. I know I will be running some AD&D and possibly some C&C, S&W and/or DCC RPG in the upcoming months and likely some other people here will too, as our group currently contains the developers of the AD&D ruleset, the S&W ruleset and the DCC RPG ruleset.

Keep your eyes out for announcements. I'll reach out to you if I can. The OSR movement here at Fantasy Grounds is small still, but growing and my desire is to get as many people interested involved as possible and promote some of these cool games.

Crisp
January 21st, 2017, 16:28
Thanks Vodokar!

JohnD
January 21st, 2017, 16:41
If you're looking for a C&C game, Andraax is starting one; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35803-New-campaign-Castles-amp-Crusades in the near future.

vodokar
February 2nd, 2017, 04:18
So it's time to reflect a little on our very successful campaign.

First we faced an Owlbear. One really exciting fight. Been there, done that, Earned the T-Shirt: https://www.cafepress.com/mf/95898278/owlbear-retro_tshirt?shop=basicfantasy&productId=717746265. What a HOOT!

Then tonight, our group was entertained by The Singing Cleric's Bless thru a rousing Battle Song as he channeled a D&Dified version of a Toby Keith song, "Whiskey for my men, before my horses". It worked too. My first swing, while still singing, was a critical, followed by a max damage roll. How cool was that? And everyone else had some pretty cool moments tonight.

So much awesome fun. If anyone thinks you really need tons of skill lists and books full of feats in order to have fun, you should try kickin' things old school sometime.

Awesome job Taoist and everyone. Havin some really great times with great friends.

codeaclysm
February 17th, 2017, 04:16
I appreciate the heads up. I do. I've specifically when I was truely able to understand, was 3and up. I imagine the rules got to be close. Though for now I'm gonna continue looking for 3rd and higher. Very thanks anyway!

Logan-05
February 17th, 2017, 15:02
I'd be very interested in this as well. I'm located in EST zone, and have an ultimate edition FG license.

Logan-05
February 17th, 2017, 15:06
Ugh. Just noticed how late I am to this thread. Lost my head when I saw AD&D first edition game.

dr_venture
February 26th, 2017, 03:45
Good to see all the old school love in this thread... huzzah, good sirs.

Holy_Rage
April 22nd, 2017, 00:57
Hello fellow grognards. Reporting for duty! Rolling crits and fumbles since 1992, looking forward to bashing doors, skulls and pesky traps in your august company. Where do I sign please?

P.S. FG Full License owner, along with the AD&D / C&C rulesets.

vodokar
April 23rd, 2017, 00:33
I also sent a PM to our DM to let him know I invited you, Holy_Rage.

Holy_Rage
April 24th, 2017, 23:31
Meet Phaelin, Elf Magic-User extraordinaire!

jvkdsh
April 25th, 2017, 03:45
I am interested in trying out 1E sometime, albeit the only real edition I've ever played was 5E...XD...

If accepted, I'll be bringing a fighter if that's fine.

Mastodon
April 26th, 2017, 02:55
I used to love playing AD&D 2nd ed. I'm interested. I am in central time zone. I usually hangout online in discord. Steam page is in my sig

vodokar
April 26th, 2017, 03:00
Unfortunately this is an ongoing campaign with an existing group of players. I think we were only looking for one additional player, which was Holy_Rage.

jvkdsh
April 26th, 2017, 06:20
Ehh that's fine...it would take me quite a while to learn the system anyways...XD...