PDA

View Full Version : Disabling monster critical hits?

Answulf
January 11th, 2017, 14:05
Quick question - am I missing an option to disable critical hits for monsters? Is this RAW for 5E or optional? Am I getting my D&D versions mixed up?:D

damned
January 11th, 2017, 14:15
If its good for the players its good for the monsters... and vice versa :)

Zhern
January 11th, 2017, 14:56
I think you have your versions mixed up. Nothing in the MM or PHB (at least from my quick check or from previous readings (but my memory is suspect at times)) says anything about monsters not using critical hits. In the MM, the Balor and Githyanki both specifically mention critical hits and the special rules that apply to those two when they occur.

Zacchaeus
January 11th, 2017, 15:14
Page 248 of the DMG answers this question - and in case you don't have that volume then the answer is yes, monsters do critical hits. But you are the DM so if you don't want them to do critical damage then you are free to do so.

Zhern
January 11th, 2017, 15:17
Ah, I didn't even check the DMG. I rarely actually open my copy of it despite it having some good info in it.

LordEntrails
January 11th, 2017, 17:41
As mentioned, their is no option for this. The easiest solution is to just re-roll an attack after hitting with a crit, that will negate the auto-crit roll and you can just roll regular damage.