PDA

View Full Version : Modules/Character Packs etc

Martin153
January 11th, 2017, 08:47
I own an Ultimate License. Does this mean 5e/PF character packs and adventures will work off the bat, or do I need to purchase something before hand?

Martin

Zacchaeus
January 11th, 2017, 09:18
Hi Martin welcome to FG and to the community.

The short answer is yes. The actual ruleset (the bit tha makes things work) is built in to the software. So when you buy an adventure for say 5e it will work without anything else. Character packs are designed to be also used without any other resources (at least for 5e - I don't know if such things exist in 3.5).

Having said that having some additional resources (such as the PHB for 5e) will enhance the experience for your players since they'll have more options.

Nickademus
January 11th, 2017, 09:31
The Ultimate license gives you everything.

So when you buy an adventure for say 5e it will work without anything else. Character packs are designed to be also used without any other resources (at least for 5e - I don't know if such things exist in 3.5).

Not true.

The Complete Core Class Pack (PHB):

Requirements: This content requires an active license to download and use.

The Individual Class Packs:

Requirements: This content requires an active license to download and use.

Storm King's Thunder:

Requires: A Fantasy Grounds full or ultimate license or an active subscription and The 5E Ruleset.

damned
January 11th, 2017, 10:34
The Ultimate license gives you everything.

Not true.

The Complete Core Class Pack (PHB):

The Individual Class Packs:

Storm King's Thunder:

So the above wording isnt quite right either...

All newer licensed products that are stored in the encrypted vault (which includes all of the Wizards 5e material) requires an active license to use.
But saying the Ultimate License gives you everything is misleading... in terms of dlc it doesnt give you any more or less than any other licensed version...

Hola Martin153 - unfortunately the wording of your question may lead to some variations in replies... :bandit:

The Ultimate License means you can use (after you have bought) any of the newer or older DLC.
It means you can host games for people that do or dont have licenses.
In itself it doesnt contain anymore DLC than any other licensed option.

All of the licensed application versions contain the SRD and the Basic Rules (assuming 5e) which give you a lot of stuff to start with but certainly are missing a lot of options from the PHB.
You can buy class packs or the complete core class pack to give you the classes in full detail.

At least one adventure (Lost Mines of Phandelver) also comes with pre-gens that have almost everything loaded in them - a couple of links might not provide the additional detail if you dont have the class pack or complete core classes.

Its entirely possible I have answered a question you havent asked or that I too have described things in a way that can be misconstrued...

Nickademus
January 11th, 2017, 11:04
Yeah I thought about that after I posted. Too early for me to be verbose. Thanks.

Zacchaeus
January 11th, 2017, 11:15
Ok, On reading the question again I see where there could be confusion. So I will amend my answer.

If you have the Ultimate license then adventures and other things will work provided you actually buy them. I assumed that the OP realized that he had to actually buy stuff but I can see how his question could be read as meaning is everything included in an Ultimate license and I don't need to buy any adventures of other modules..

Nickademus
January 11th, 2017, 17:01
I was actually referring to your answer which made it sound like purchasing a 5e adventure would work without a license. This thread hasn't been good for communication...

Martin153
January 11th, 2017, 17:15
Thanks for your replies, which were more helpful than you think...

Zacchaeus
January 11th, 2017, 18:54
I was actually referring to your answer which made it sound like purchasing a 5e adventure would work without a license. This thread hasn't been good for communication...

Indeed, it has not.

Shall we just start over :)

Zacchaeus
January 11th, 2017, 18:55
Thanks for your replies, which were more helpful than you think...

That, is good to hear. Hopefully our ramblings and misunderstandings have not confused you too much. We are normally better that this :)

Nickademus
January 11th, 2017, 19:58
That, is good to hear. Hopefully our ramblings and misunderstandings have not confused you too much. We are normally better that this :)

Speak for yourself. :P