PDA

View Full Version : 5E Racial Traits Effects Module

Remedeez
January 11th, 2017, 04:50
5E Racial Traits Effects Module

I have made a simple module of custom effects to apply to your PCs (and NPCs) in the combat tracker. These cover what I believe to be all racial traits from SRD races, PHB races, Volo's races, SCAG (sub)races, Elemental Evil races, and so on. If I have missed any, please let me know so I can add them in!

These are ONLY effects! You won't get any race info or anything like that at all in the case that you don't own some content (such as races from Volo's Guide to Monsters for example.)

Why did I make this, and how is it useful?

I play a LOT of one-shots and short campaigns with my friends, in addition to a really long homebrew campaign we play on a weekly basis. When we play the one-shots and side stuff, I get really tired of having to add in the effects for the races they are trying out in each little game. We played a game where one of the players wanted to try Aasimar, and she was supposed to have resistance to radiant and necrotic damage. Well, we got in combat and I forgot to give her the resistance as an effect... and then it hit me. If I just made a module with all the racial resistances and such as effects, then when we play new campaigns I can just easily do the click and drag and never have to think about it again!

So this will be useful to those of you who want a quick solution to putting in the racial resistances and other similar effects onto your PCs in the Combat Tracker, and especially useful packaged up as a module so you can activate these in numerous campaigns without ever having to re-type or copy/paste these ever again!

Please note: There are some situational Racial Traits, so these effects do not need to be added to the Combat Tracker and tracked at all times, such as Kobolds' Sunlight Sensitivity.

Racial Traits included:

Aasimar (Volo's Aasimar, I think the Aasimar in the DMG are different)
Celestial Resistance

Dragonborn
Draconic Ancestry - SEPARATE effects entries for every Draconic Ancestry dragon color

Dwarves
Dwarven Resilience

Elves/Half-Elves
Fey Ancestry

Genasi
Fire and Water Genasi respective resistances

Gnomes
Gnome Cunning
Stone Camouflage

Halfling
Brave

Kobold
Sunlight Sensitivity

Tiefling
Hellish Resistance

Yuan-ti Pureblood
Magic Resistance
Poison Immunity

AND TO TOP IT OFF, here's a screenshot. Yes, I'm aware you don't even need my module now, you can just copy from the image. The module is just here to make it so you don't have to do all that typing, if you want.

And here's a screenshot of the effects applied to my PCs in the Combat Tracker. Easy life, good life.

So that's all there is to it.
When I get more books that add new races, I'll update this! Hope you enjoy.

Myrdin Potter
January 11th, 2017, 04:56
You should add in the Dragonborn breath weapons as they are asked for all the time as well. Otherwise, this will save people a lot of time. Thanks for doing it.

Remedeez
January 11th, 2017, 05:02
You should add in the Dragonborn breath weapons as they are asked for all the time as well. Otherwise, this will save people a lot of time. Thanks for doing it.

Oi! That's a good point! I shall have to figure out how to add those in! Not sure if they can be typed as combat effects/conditions? I usually add them straight on the Character Sheet for when my players play Dragonborn. I'll start working that out, thanks for the advice!

Myrdin Potter
January 11th, 2017, 05:10
If you cannot make an effect, make one character and add all of them to the character and then make that xml available.

VoxDei
May 27th, 2017, 23:28
Do these work? I tried ADVSAV: Charmed and it didn't work. Same with the IMMUNE: Sleep. When testing i didn't actually get the advantage on the save. And when sleep was cast on me it still added the sleep effect.

Klandare
May 28th, 2017, 01:00
Do these work? I tried ADVSAV: Charmed and it didn't work. Same with the IMMUNE: Sleep. When testing i didn't actually get the advantage on the save. And when sleep was cast on me it still added the sleep effect.

If I am not mistaken none of the ADVSAV will work because the saves are not against a condition but against a specific abilities (i.e. strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, charisma).

I did something similar to this and had to use those for the ADVSAV portion. It works but you have to remember to turn it off or skip it in the Combat Tracker when the save is not against that specific reason (i.e. dwarf with ADVSAV: constitution for poison has to be turned off when saving against a white dragon breath).

That was the closest thing I could find to cover things.

Trenloe
May 28th, 2017, 02:02
If I am not mistaken none of the ADVSAV will work because the saves are not against a condition but against a specific abilities (i.e. strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, charisma).
Correct.

Referring to the Effects Wiki article: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers

Shows:

ADVSAV: [ability] Advantage on all saving throws (or a specific saving throw, if specified) (must be lower case)

Zacchaeus
May 28th, 2017, 10:57
The IMMUNE: sleep is also just a reminder effect basically since there isn't a condition called sleep. A PC is knocked unconscious by the sleep spell so IMMUNE: unconscious would work but that would also render the PC immune to the condition from any other source as well.

D34thbr1ng3r
June 2nd, 2017, 12:48
Hello, I'm new here. After downloading the module, how can I apply to my PCs on the combat tracker?

Zacchaeus
June 2nd, 2017, 13:52
Open the effects button (small button with a running man icon - top right); find the effect you want to apply and drag the effect to the player's CT entry. You can also set these up in the character sheet yourself. Here's a link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Powers) to how to do so.

ravenloft713
June 17th, 2017, 23:56
Is there any reason the player's would also need to download this/load the shared module, or just the DM?

LordEntrails
June 18th, 2017, 00:52
Typicaly the DM. Then they can choose to share it or not. Players might be able to use it in Manage Characters, but I've never tried.

Zacchaeus
June 18th, 2017, 01:20
Since the module aims to make setting up effects at character creation I'd say, yes the players should have this. It won't work in manage characters since there's no effects button, but it will work if a player connects to the GM and he has the module shared. As LordEntrails says only the DM need download the module but if the player does have it he can request that the DM authorise it's use.

jptheronmd
January 6th, 2021, 10:23
Sorry - very noob question. I installed by copying the mod to my modules folder. When I click the effects button the custom effects don't show up in the custom window. What am I doing wrong?

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2021, 10:36
Sorry - very noob question. I installed by copying the mod to my modules folder. When I click the effects button the custom effects don't show up in the custom window. What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to FG.

When you open your campaign go to Library > Modules and then click on the Load button for the module.

jptheronmd
January 6th, 2021, 10:46
Thank you so much.