PDA

View Full Version : GURPS 4E Core Ruleset

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Gigermann
June 13th, 2020, 16:00
Is that FGU? The ruleset's chat font hasn't been addressed for FGU yet.

seycyrus
June 14th, 2020, 02:30
I am not sure if this will be helpful, but my screen is 2560x1440, my scaleui is 120, and I have the montserrat extension loaded.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 15th, 2020, 03:41
I did these font extensions.

CD0369
June 19th, 2020, 22:53
Gigermann,
Yes, that was FGU. I recently acquired FGC and I had to scale the UI down. I will look at the extensions that were posted below this weekend. Though I am still getting the hang of where everything gets put to. I usually have to hunt around to find the correct directory to put things in.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 22nd, 2020, 00:05
Any prediction of when we will have these other ruleset improvements?
Upcoming Features / Wishlist
Add GURPS Character and Racial templates
Mini Sheets
Allow the adding of vehicles / mounts to the Combat Tracker
Hit Points by location (torso, arms, legs, shield, etc)
Heath status and effects to show in token mouseover (tooltip).

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 30th, 2020, 17:09
I am curious to know if in the future we will have templates and if in the future, we will have the application of the level of expertise in the techniques and if we will also be able to drag cultural familiarity, if we apply technological level, if it will raise or lower it and more the advantages | disadvantages with levels can be dragged without duplicating, but raising the level and I would like to know if we will also have the skill link with the weapon linked to the weapon and if you have not applied the pre-defined level.

ronnke
July 31st, 2020, 12:14
I am curious to know if in the future we will have templates and if in the future, we will have the application of the level of expertise in the techniques and if we will also be able to drag cultural familiarity, if we apply technological level, if it will raise or lower it and more the advantages | disadvantages with levels can be dragged without duplicating, but raising the level and I would like to know if we will also have the skill link with the weapon linked to the weapon and if you have not applied the pre-defined level.

We will have templates and very basic character creation, but importing from GCA/GCS will remain the best option. It's just far too much development (for now) to build robust character GURPS creation into FG.

CD0369
July 31st, 2020, 15:33
Hello all,
I have hit a snag on importing GCA characters to FGU. The process works well enough with FGC, no issues importing the same character. In GCA, I am using a data set that I found on the SJG forums. In the chat window, I type "/importchar" and it opens a file browser to select the file. Then I get a window. The line says "[ERROR] import: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 350 position 36." I was able to import a character from GCA in the past but something seems to not line up. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

ronnke
August 2nd, 2020, 13:54
Hello all,
I have hit a snag on importing GCA characters to FGU. The process works well enough with FGC, no issues importing the same character. In GCA, I am using a data set that I found on the SJG forums. In the chat window, I type "/importchar" and it opens a file browser to select the file. Then I get a window. The line says "[ERROR] import: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 350 position 36." I was able to import a character from GCA in the past but something seems to not line up. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Are you able to send me the GCA character file you are trying to import into FGU. If I can reproduce the error I will be able to fix it.

CD0369
August 2nd, 2020, 15:27
Are you able to send me the GCA character file you are trying to import into FGU. If I can reproduce the error I will be able to fix it.

Ronnke,
I tried to PM it to you but it is not adding it as an attachment, is there a better way for me to send it to you?

seycyrus
August 8th, 2020, 13:55
Ronnke,
I tried to PM it to you but it is not adding it as an attachment, is there a better way for me to send it to you?

You could post it here, and some of us others could see if we get the same error.

ronnke
August 9th, 2020, 13:43
You could post it here, and some of us others could see if we get the same error.

I've identified the error. In this case it is not with the ruleset, it's the way GCA exports some character values which mess with xml formatting. The fix is coming soon.

snowsquall
August 23rd, 2020, 04:23
Hello, I think I may be getting the same error as CD0369, except it is on line 1260.

snowsquall
August 23rd, 2020, 06:00
Having investigated it looks like it can not handle parent items.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 23rd, 2020, 16:32
I was left with a doubt, did I ruin that map scale, which allows me to say the measurement and the unit of measurement between one hexagon and another, or does it not really work, when I change the size of the map by clicking on that button in the upper right corner.
This in Fantasy Grounds Classic.
In Fantasy Grounds Unit, I noticed that the option to show the distance modifier doesn't work, is this true or did I ruin it with my sniffing?
Is there any forecast for further improvements?
To do list
When will the "New" Party Worksheet go into effect?
Will it be possible to reward players with points?
If you are unsure of how to do it, I will tell you to use the Quests part.

ronnke
August 24th, 2020, 05:08
Hello, I think I may be getting the same error as CD0369, except it is on line 1260.

Can you DM the xml file (with the problem) and I will see if this is something that can be fixed for future.

ronnke
August 24th, 2020, 05:18
I was left with a doubt, did I ruin that map scale, which allows me to say the measurement and the unit of measurement between one hexagon and another, or does it not really work, when I change the size of the map by clicking on that button in the upper right corner.
This in Fantasy Grounds Classic.
In Fantasy Grounds Unit, I noticed that the option to show the distance modifier doesn't work, is this true or did I ruin it with my sniffing?
Is there any forecast for further improvements?
To do list
When will the "New" Party Worksheet go into effect?
Will it be possible to reward players with points?
If you are unsure of how to do it, I will tell you to use the Quests part.

There is a known issue with the hex measurement in FGU because the devs have modified how this works compared to FGC. I will get around to fixing that, but I'm waiting for some additional APIs that are supposed to be added to FGU at some point.

I have some nice quality of life developments which SJG have okayed, but I'm not ready to say what they are until I work out exactly how to implemented it. The new party sheet will happen, but it's not a priority and it is certainly possible to award players points.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 24th, 2020, 22:52
I'm being beaten to make an extension that distributes XP to the characters, I already got the mold but I need to find out how to distribute XP and more how to adjust the Quests field in the middle.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 25th, 2020, 01:04
This extension distribute XP accross the party

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 25th, 2020, 01:17
Now I need to find out how to create a way to spend unspent points.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 25th, 2020, 06:35
link in next post

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 25th, 2020, 06:36
https://youtu.be/uvk8DUNWJLI

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 25th, 2020, 20:12
New version of same file

snowsquall
August 26th, 2020, 04:32
Ok, so right now it looks like can not import custom talents. Is there away that I can fix this in GCA?

snowsquall
August 26th, 2020, 04:37
Can you DM the xml file (with the problem) and I will see if this is something that can be fixed for future.
I could not find a way to attach a file in a DM so I will try here.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 26th, 2020, 05:05
Could someone help me or indicate a course for me to understand a little bit of the moon, to implement the following:
I implemented the extension that shows the total points of the character on the party sheet, as well as a way to give points to the characters, however I would like the unspent field to be locked (this I know how to do) and that as the character was earning points, each time he spent these points he would subtract from the unspent and increase the total points
example:
I am a 100 point character, at the end of the session I get 1 point, that point would go to the unspent.
So I decide to move my fast talk from 1 point to 2 points.
My unspent would go to zero and my total would go to 101.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 26th, 2020, 05:13
snowsquall The & of the file Julia Michelson_Pc.gca.xml is causing the error to import

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 28th, 2020, 19:57
Just to inform you, that I managed to accomplish what I wanted regarding the XP distribution, I had to change the aesthetics of some and put it in my extensions salad, but I can say that it is working, then I will release a video.

ronnke
August 29th, 2020, 04:54
I could not find a way to attach a file in a DM so I will try here.

@snowsquall, This should fix your issue. You will need to re-export the files from GCA.

To those experiencing issues importing characters from GCA to FG Unity. Can you please try the updated GCA export scripts and report whether your issue has been resolved our not.

seycyrus
August 29th, 2020, 13:53
Ronnke, will this new version work with FGC, or is it just for FGU?

ronnke
August 30th, 2020, 05:10
Ronnke, will this new version work with FGC, or is it just for FGU?

Works with both FGC and FGU, but it fixes XML related issues which FGC would ignore.

ronnke
September 18th, 2020, 14:31
Upload a new ruleset which addresses some FGU compatibility issues.

GURPS 4E Core Ruleset
Download latest release from here: https://bit.ly/GURPS4ECore
(Updated: 18th Sep 2020)

YAKO SOMEDAKY
September 19th, 2020, 01:53
Ronnke I don't know if you have the Unity version, but I was looking and in the Cond part of the CT, when applied fatigue does not appear as it appears in the classic version.

ronnke
September 19th, 2020, 04:26
Ronnke I don't know if you have the Unity version, but I was looking and in the Cond part of the CT, when applied fatigue does not appear as it appears in the classic version.

I do have FGU, I will have a look into this.

Woob
September 21st, 2020, 04:35
Hello ronnke and all,

Way back in post #941 I asked questions on GURPs FGU as a long time GURPs DM thinking of transitioning to virtual table top and several of you helped me out.

Thank you for the suggestions, as a result I have purchased FGU Lifetime License.

I have one basic question for now, after having reviewed the videos and attempting to set up a campaign and build some characters.

#1 Can equipment, traits, skills be made persistent? Do I really have to re-enter the description for Knife skill or weapon stats for a knife for every character I make? I assume they can be saved some how. Please help. What am I missing?

#2 If they can be saved, is there a module I can purchase or download that will have skill, weapon, trait descriptions included?

Thank you for any assistance, If I have to reenter the stats for a knife for every PC and NPC it will likely be a deal killer for me. I just don't have the time to commit

ronnke
September 21st, 2020, 04:51
Hello ronnke and all,

Thank you for the suggestions, as a result I have purchased FGU Lifetime License.

I have one basic question for now, after having reviewed the videos and attempting to set up a campaign and build some characters.

#1 Can equipment, traits, skills be made persistent? Do I really have to re-enter the description for Knife skill or weapon stats for a knife for every character I make? I assume they can be saved some how. Please help. What am I missing?

#2 If they can be saved, is there a module I can purchase or download that will have the stats included?

Thank you for any assistance, If I have to reenter the stats for a knife for every PC and NPC it will likely be a deal killer for me. I just don't have the time to commit.

#1. Yes they can. You need to enter them into the Items, Traits, and Skills lists within FG and not on the individual characters. You can then Export these into custom modules you can load within your other campaigns.

#2. The GURPS ruleset doesn't have official support from SJG, so you can't buy modules with this content ready to go. We ALL wish we could. Maybe one day. The good news is you can easily create these modules yourself using utilities created by people in this community. See this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51192-FG-GURPS-Mod-Maker-for-drag-n-drop-items)

Side note: Use GCA or GCS and import your characters into FG. It's a huge time saver.

Hope that helps.

Fezzik Buttercup
September 23rd, 2020, 16:31
I don't know if this is a bug or just something wrong I'm doing :). I know that the [DODGE] etc aren't how the effects are supposed to work, but here is the issue that I noticed.

The first effect I made (first picture) for Loose Balance (capped version) I set to -2; when I use it, it works fine, if I clicked on it again (not the little add effect button) it zeroed. I put in another couple of effects after just to see if they would zero after clicking out of them or on the text fields etc. and they worked fine.

Obviously besides that I have no idea how to use these effects or if they can actually be singled out modify a specific like [DODGE] [MELEE] etc. I think this is still within 7 days of playing around with this :)

Thanks!
Fezzik

theshakey01
September 25th, 2020, 21:39
I am very new to FG and am interested in this system. How/Where do I install this to FGC?

Thanks in advance!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
September 25th, 2020, 23:31
Fezzik Buttercup I may be mistaken, but this type of information that generates effects that modify rollovers must be native to the ruleset.It would be wonderful to be able to do that, apply an effect and then just forget and just roll the dice with everything changed.

seycyrus
September 26th, 2020, 01:42
I am very new to FG and am interested in this system. How/Where do I install this to FGC?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings ! Tell us a bit about yourself. I started playing D&D in the 70s and switched over to Gurps in in the late 80s. I generally do gritty fantasy. How long have you been playing?

To answer your question, download the ruleset in the first post of this thread and place it in your ruleset folder.

theshakey01
September 26th, 2020, 01:50
Hey thank you so much for the help. I started DnD in high school about 15yrs ago with AD&D and swapped to Pathfinder a bit after graduation. For the past 3yrs I have been GM for several 5E campaigns and with the quarantine I swapped to virtual. I have never ran a Gurps campaign but it is the only system that fits into a campaign I have been wanting to run so here I am ready to try out a different system to keep the love for ttrpgs going.

ronnke
September 26th, 2020, 14:00
Hey thank you so much for the help. I started DnD in high school about 15yrs ago with AD&D and swapped to Pathfinder a bit after graduation. For the past 3yrs I have been GM for several 5E campaigns and with the quarantine I swapped to virtual. I have never ran a Gurps campaign but it is the only system that fits into a campaign I have been wanting to run so here I am ready to try out a different system to keep the love for ttrpgs going.

Welcome! If you need any help with the ruleset, there are several people here able to assist you to climb the learning curve.

Padre Moto
September 26th, 2020, 15:17

Welcome! I've been running with GURPS ever since Steve Jackson Games published its forerunner: Man to Man. So there are a few of us here who are long-in the tooth with the system itself over the years.

I only started to get interested in VTT over the Covid-19 lockdown in the spring and found this awesome bunch of people generating GURPS support. They are very helpful in bringing people up to speed on how to run the game with FG. So feel free to engage as you need.

Fezzik Buttercup
September 26th, 2020, 16:47
Welcome! I've been running with GURPS ever since Steve Jackson Games published its forerunner: Man to Man. So there are a few of us here who are long-in the tooth with the system itself over the years.

I only started to get interested in VTT over the Covid-19 lockdown in the spring and found this awesome bunch of people generating GURPS support. They are very helpful in bringing people up to speed on how to run the game with FG. So feel free to engage as you need.

Long in the tooth? Speak for yourself.... and get off my lawn! * shakes cane in your direction *

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried to plop morecore overtop of the Gurps (or visa versa; I'm not sure what would take priority - or if they would fight over things)? It LOOKS useful, but i can see some things that might conflict with some of the GURPS functionallity (abilities for example)

Woob
September 27th, 2020, 04:10
#1. Yes they can. You need to enter them into the Items, Traits, and Skills lists within FG and not on the individual characters. You can then Export these into custom modules you can load within your other campaigns.

#2. The GURPS ruleset doesn't have official support from SJG, so you can't buy modules with this content ready to go. We ALL wish we could. Maybe one day. The good news is you can easily create these modules yourself using utilities created by people in this community. See this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51192-FG-GURPS-Mod-Maker-for-drag-n-drop-items)

Side note: Use GCA or GCS and import your characters into FG. It's a huge time saver.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the above info, very helpful.

Going thru the videos has got me going on the way to importing items.

I have never used GCA but I'll give it a go. One of my players has used it.

Another questions if the collected wisdom of the group will indulge me.

Any tools to import skills, & advantages, etc?

@ theshakey01

I'm in the long in the tooth GURPS crowd (the campaign I'm trying to get on FGU has been running since 1980) and will be happy to answer any GURPS questions here. Others will likely help you with FGU questions.

ronnke
September 29th, 2020, 02:41
Minor ruleset update

GURPS 4E Core Ruleset
(Updated: 29th Sep 2020)

- Fixed: Character sheet labels to work better with the FGU Light and Dark themes.

TheFabulousIronChef
September 29th, 2020, 21:12
Minor ruleset update

GURPS 4E Core Ruleset
(Updated: 29th Sep 2020)

- Fixed: Character sheet labels to work better with the FGU Light and Dark themes.

WOOOOHOOO! Thank you so much. Dark Theme works great now (other than the weird bar that goes across the screen, but I may just put the GURPS hexes in there instead).

seycyrus
October 23rd, 2020, 19:10

Ronnke, just saw this. Thanks for the fix. Is there any way you could look into the way the combat Tracker looks in the dark theme? Current HPs are hard to see againstthe background. Maybe a lighter shade of green?

ronnke
October 24th, 2020, 12:08
Ronnke, just saw this. Thanks for the fix. Is there any way you could look into the way the combat Tracker looks in the dark theme? Current HPs are hard to see againstthe background. Maybe a lighter shade of green?

Yeah, can do.

phoagne
October 24th, 2020, 12:34
Hi! Recently switched to FGU but noticed range modifiers are no longer present. Did I miss something, or would they return, or are they off limits now? It's not hard to look it in the book but I've got so used to it.

ronnke
October 25th, 2020, 09:04
Hi! Recently switched to FGU but noticed range modifiers are no longer present. Did I miss something, or would they return, or are they off limits now? It's not hard to look it in the book but I've got so used to it.

They will return. FGU does its map pointers a little differently.

seycyrus
October 28th, 2020, 00:04
Ronnke, one of these days I'll figure out your address and I'll send you a case of beer for all your work!

Since you asked. I would really like it if it was possible to address the issue where one can no longer apply an effect to the target of the active actor. This functionality used to exist, but was lost a year or so ago either in an update to this ruleset, or to Corerpg.

It gets extremely cumbersome when my combat tracker is filled with 6+ players, and 10 monsters when I have to scroll up and down through the combat tracker to find "Orc 7" to apply a "dazed", "stunned", "crippled right arm" or other condition.

It used to be that I could just "alt-click + crippled right arm" when it was Gandor the Brave's turn and he chopped through his Orc 7's arm. Wham! Bam! The condition was applied. Next person's turn.

Not sure why it disappeared, but I will add it back.

Ronnke, did you ever get a chance to look into this?

HalC
November 24th, 2020, 14:06
Ronnke, did you ever get a chance to look into this?

Hi Folks,
I've finally bitten the bullet and purchased the FGU - so I'm taking time to learn to use the newer set up.

On thing I found slightly disquieting is that in order to sign in as GM and as a player from my machine - going strictly with an IP log in rather than cloud log in, I had to add my own IP address to the allowed IP addresses in my Anti-virus firewall, otherwise, I'd not have been able to view what I can see as GM and as a player at the same time.

In any event, Looking forward to seeing what else there is in this new version of Fantasy Grounds as well as the newest version of the GURPS. I had last uploaded the 3.3.10 version of the GURPS instead of the current 3.3.12.

Should prove to be interesting...

Thanks again Ronnke for the work you do, even if I don't show up here OFTEN. :)

Hal

Fezzik Buttercup
November 24th, 2020, 19:37
This may have nothing to do the ruleset itself; perhaps an extension is messing this up for me (or maybe it's just a scalegui problem?) but I'm getting weird font muddles in the chat window. I don't have any specific fonts extensions running except the fantasy language one, but I don't know why that would cause any problem because you have pick those.

After some actually investigation; it seems that GURPSCore extension is causing this issue for me. Possible updates to follow (if I can figure out how to look at it and make it make sense to me and see if I can find out what's causing the hubub :) )

ronnke
November 25th, 2020, 10:50
After some actually investigation; it seems that GURPSCore extension is causing this issue for me. Possible updates to follow (if I can figure out how to look at it and make it make sense to me and see if I can find out what's causing the hubub :) )

Gigermann, is in the process of updating the GURPSCore skin. I expect it to be available soon.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 26th, 2020, 11:01
Ronnke, now that Fantasy Grounds is official, do you intend to migrate to it?
And as for things to do from the list of the first post, do you have a forecast for when something else comes out?

ronnke
November 27th, 2020, 02:21
Ronnke, now that Fantasy Grounds is official, do you intend to migrate to it?
And as for things to do from the list of the first post, do you have a forecast for when something else comes out?

Yes. We will migrate to FGU. The current OlympusRPG campaign will continue on FGC, but campaigns after that will all likely be migrated.
The wishlist is not a hard development outline...it's just a "wish list". There are developments in progress which I expect will be ready in December.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 27th, 2020, 03:00
Is it already December? :D

Padre Moto
November 27th, 2020, 03:53
Is it already December? :D

I think Yako2020 wants a Christmas gift from Santa Ronnke.

But, then again, don't we all?! ;)

Thank you Ronnke for all your efforts and I look forward to the next developments whenever they arrive :)

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 27th, 2020, 10:32
But of course we will!
Santa Ronnke always comes up with wonderful gifts!
And I confess that I am looking forward to seeing future Olympus games at Fantasy Grounds Unity!

Gigermann
December 3rd, 2020, 22:01
I keep meaning to post the adjusted skin for FGU: https://www.drlgraphics.com/downloads/GURPSCore-U.ext

It may need a bit more tweaking before it's all over, but those of you that haven't already been fiddling with it can benefit from the font corrections, at least. And you can guinea-pig for me—let me know if anything "graphical" is amiss.

ronnke
December 4th, 2020, 00:06
Th first post in this thread has been updated to include this link.

https://bit.ly/GURPSCoreUTheme

seycyrus
December 4th, 2020, 19:03
I keep meaning to post the adjusted skin for FGU: https://www.drlgraphics.com/downloads/GURPSCore-U.ext

Thanks Gigermann! Nothing seems amiss at first glance.

Can I ask what were the major improvements you made? With all the cross-chatter these days, it's hard to keep track.

Gigermann
December 5th, 2020, 05:16
Thanks Gigermann! Nothing seems amiss at first glance.

Can I ask what were the major improvements you made? With all the cross-chatter these days, it's hard to keep track.Nothing but fixing the font issues, and adding the assets button (which I need to make actually say "assets" :P )

Fezzik Buttercup
December 5th, 2020, 16:17
(which I need to make actually say "assets" :P )

That's just a Token change...

*runs away giggling*

RedMattis
December 6th, 2020, 15:38
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked in the thread, but where do I find assets for modifiers and such? Or do I have to retype all of the common modifiers manually?

ronnke
December 6th, 2020, 23:32
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked in the thread, but where do I find assets for modifiers and such? Or do I have to retype all of the common modifiers manually?

You would need to enter these manually as they are not included as part of the ruleset.

However, if you did not want to do that, you can download the mods and effects my gaming group (OlympusRPG Group) use for our games. These are pinned in the group's Fantasy Grounds channel on discord. https://discord.gg/8dXSZkg

yeknom
December 10th, 2020, 05:02
Would it be possible to request an Enhancement Section in the Ruleset? Ideally it'd go in the Traits section with Advantages and the like. No worries if not, I was just putting a library together for Sci Fi and noted that it would be helpful to have. I would use the Other section but it doesn't allow for % to be put in the point cost section.

yeknom
December 10th, 2020, 06:57
Any idea what this is? The circled bit shows up in Unity for me on all weapons I create. 41871

When I drag it over it just shows the damage that was done. It's in Unity, no extensions loaded, the item was pulled from a personal equipment module I have.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yhk9gVtam4nQMxERyHaZaxjPazA6SLxl/view?usp=sharing The video shows exactly what is happening.

Gigermann
December 10th, 2020, 15:05
Any idea what this is? The circled bit shows up in Unity for me on all weapons I create. 41871
Screwed up image. I thought we fixed that already. Do you have the latest version of everything?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
December 10th, 2020, 15:57
I correct this, but I don't remember how :(

YAKO SOMEDAKY
December 10th, 2020, 16:08
I think that description correct the error
scripts\manager_action_damage.lua

--
-- Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
-- attribution and copyright information.
--

DICE_DEFAULT = 6;

function onInit()
ActionsManager.registerModHandler("damage", modRoll);
ActionsManager.registerResultHandler("damage", onDamage);
end

function onDamage(rSource, rTarget, rRoll)
local rMessage = ActionsManager.createActionMessage(rSource, rRoll);
local nTotal = 0;

local bAddMod = false;
if GameSystem.actions[rRoll.sType] then
bAddMod = GameSystem.actions[rRoll.sType].bAddMod;
end

-- Send the chat message
local bShowMsg = true;
if not rSource then
bShowMsg = false;
end

if bShowMsg then
local _, _, sOperator, nNum, xMult = parseDamage(rRoll.sDamage); --MOD by Jaxilon

rMessage.text = string.format("%s %s %s%s%s",
(string.format("%s%s",(rTarget and string.format("Hit %s with ",rTarget.sName) or ""), rMessage.text)),
(rRoll.sWeapon or ""),
((rRoll.sWeapon and rRoll.sWeapon ~= '' and rRoll.sMode and rRoll.sMode ~= '') and "" or ""),
(rRoll.sMode or ""),
(string.format(" [%s]%s", (rRoll.sDamage or ""), (rRoll.nMod ~= 0 and string.format("(%s%d)",(rRoll.nMod > 0 and "+" or ""),rRoll.nMod) or "")) or "")
);

rMessage.diemodifier = 0;

-- Calculate Damage
for _,v in ipairs(rRoll.aDice) do
nTotal = nTotal + v.result;
end

local nMod = (bAddMod and rRoll.nMod or 0);
if sOperator then
if (sOperator == "+") then
nTotal = nTotal + (nNum or 0);
rMessage.diemodifier = (nNum or 0) + nMod;
elseif (sOperator == "-") then
nTotal = nTotal - (nNum or 0);
rMessage.diemodifier = -(nNum or 0) + nMod;
elseif (sOperator == "x") then
nTotal = nTotal * (nNum or 1);
elseif (sOperator == "/") then
nTotal = nTotal / (nNum or 1);
end
end
if (sOperator ~= "x" and xMult) then --MOD by Jaxilon
nTotal = nTotal * xMult; --MOD by Jaxilon
end --MOD by Jaxilon
nTotal = nTotal + nMod;
Comm.deliverChatMessage(rMessage);

-- Deliver Total Damage
rMessage.type = "number";
rMessage.icon = "action_damage";
rMessage.text = string.format("Total [%s]%s", (rRoll.sDamage or ""), (rRoll.nMod ~= 0 and string.format("(%s%d)",(rRoll.nMod > 0 and "+" or ""),rRoll.nMod) or ""));
rMessage.dice = {};
rMessage.diemodifier = (nTotal > 0 and nTotal or 0);
-- rMessage.dicedisplay = 0;
Comm.deliverChatMessage(rMessage);
end
end

function applyDamage(rSource, rTarget, bSecret, sDamage, nTotal)
-- Get health fields
local sTargetType, nodeTarget = ActorManager.getTypeAndNode(rTarget);
if sTargetType ~= "pc" and sTargetType ~= "ct" then
return;
end

local nHP, nInjury;
if sTargetType == "pc" then
nHP = DB.getValue(nodeTarget, "attributes.hitpoints", 0);
nInjury = DB.getValue(nodeTarget, "attributes.injury", 0) + nTotal;
DB.setValue(nodeTarget, "attributes.hps", "number", nHP - (nInjury < 0 and 0 or nInjury));
DB.setValue(nodeTarget, "attributes.injury", "number", (nInjury < 0 and 0 or nInjury));
DB.setValue(nodeTarget, "attributes.hpstatus", "string", ActorManager2.getHPStatus(sTargetType, nodeTarget));
else
nHP = DB.getValue(nodeTarget, "attributes.hitpoints", 0);
nInjury = DB.getValue(nodeTarget, "injury", 0) + nTotal;
DB.setValue(nodeTarget, "hps", "number", nHP - (nInjury < 0 and 0 or nInjury));
DB.setValue(nodeTarget, "injury", "number", (nInjury < 0 and 0 or nInjury));
DB.setValue(nodeTarget, "hpstatus", "string", ActorManager2.getHPStatus(sTargetType, nodeTarget));
end
end

function updateDamage(rActor)
-- Get health fields
local sActorType, nodeActor = ActorManager.getTypeAndNode(rActor);
if sActorType ~= "pc" and sActorType ~= "ct" then
return;
end

local nHP, nInjury;
if sActorType == "pc" then
nHP = DB.getValue(nodeActor, "attributes.hitpoints", 0);
nInjury = DB.getValue(nodeActor, "attributes.injury", 0);
DB.setValue(nodeActor, "attributes.hps", "number", nHP - (nInjury < 0 and 0 or nInjury));
DB.setValue(nodeActor, "attributes.hpstatus", "string", ActorManager2.getHPStatus(sActorType, nodeActor));
else
nHP = DB.getValue(nodeActor, "attributes.hitpoints", 0);
nInjury = DB.getValue(nodeActor, "injury", 0);
DB.setValue(nodeActor, "hps", "number", nHP - (nInjury < 0 and 0 or nInjury));
DB.setValue(nodeActor, "hpstatus", "string", ActorManager2.getHPStatus(sActorType, nodeActor));
end
end

function parseDamage(s)
-- SETUP
local aDice = {};
local nMod = 0;

local nDieCount = 0;
local nDice = 0;
local sOperator = "";
local nNum = 0
local xMult = 0;
-- PARSING
if s then
xMultiply = s:match("x(%d+)"); --MOD by Jaxilon
nDieCount, nDice, sOperator, nNum = s:match("^(%d*)[dD]([%dF]*)%s*([+-x]?)%s*([%dF]*)");
if nDieCount then
local sDie = string.format("d%d", (tonumber(nDice) or DICE_DEFAULT));
for i = 1, nDieCount do
table.insert(aDice, sDie);
end
end

if sOperator and nNum then
nNum = (tonumber(nNum) or 0);
end
end

-- RESULTS
return aDice, nMod, sOperator, nNum, xMultiply; --MOD by Jaxilon
end

yeknom
December 10th, 2020, 21:05
Screwed up image. I thought we fixed that already. Do you have the latest version of everything?
That was it. I was mistaken on having thought my ruleset was up-to-date.

RedMattis
December 10th, 2020, 23:20
Has anyone manged to get GCS exported characters and NPCs into Fantasy Ground to work?

I get an import error "An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 929 position 76".

Fezzik Buttercup
December 10th, 2020, 23:25
If you have an advantage/disadvantage skill etc with & in it, that's likely giving you the error (ie. Acute Taste & Smell) often do it; you can either go into the xml with notepad(++) or something like that and change it there OR just change it in the GCS character and re-export it

RedMattis
December 11th, 2020, 12:19
If you have an advantage/disadvantage skill etc with & in it, that's likely giving you the error (ie. Acute Taste & Smell) often do it; you can either go into the xml with notepad(++) or something like that and change it there OR just change it in the GCS character and re-export it

Yup. That was the issue. Thanks!

There are still some minor issues like reaction modifiers not transfering, advantages containers getting point values, and characters with weights set to kg getting their equipment in pounds in Fantasy Grounds so everything ends up a bit over twice as heavy, but it is all stuff we can work around. :)

------

Question unrelated to GCS. In Fantasy Grounds, where do the coins end up when distributing them from the party menu? As a GM I can't see the money and don't seem to be able to modify it either? Is it supposed to be in the character sheets somewhere? Is there a tab missing in the GURPS module for characters or something like that?

Gigermann
December 11th, 2020, 15:03
where do the coins end up when distributing them from the party menu?Inventory. At the bottom.

RedMattis
December 11th, 2020, 17:29
Inventory. At the bottom.

I can't see it? Do I need to enable it somewhere?

Gigermann
December 11th, 2020, 17:47

I can't see it? Do I need to enable it somewhere?New version of the sheet? That's not the one "we" currently use. I recall there were some revamps occurring, so I guess that was moved/removed

seycyrus
December 12th, 2020, 17:46
Nothing but fixing the font issues, and adding the assets button (which I need to make actually say "assets" :P )

Just curious as to whether this is an issue with my monitor. How difficult is it for everyone else to read the HP and FP fields in the combat tracker, with the FGU Dark Theme?

yeknom
December 21st, 2020, 07:51

What does this error mean? I am receiving it while using the most up-to-date ruleset for GURPS, FGU, no extensions loaded and it is coming from a personal Module I have for the Skills from the Basic Characters Set.

ronnke
December 21st, 2020, 11:32

What does this error mean? I am receiving it while using the most up-to-date ruleset for GURPS, FGU, no extensions loaded and it is coming from a personal Module I have for the Skills from the Basic Characters Set.

At a guess your module has an error somewhere in its XML format. Could be something within the xml tags like an:

"&" when it should be "&amp;" or
">" which should be "&gt;" or
"<" which should be "&lt;" or
An apostrophe ' which should be "&apos;" or
A quote " which should be "&quot;"

yeknom
December 21st, 2020, 11:54
Thanks ronnke. I'll give it a look to see what I can find out.

xd134yd
January 12th, 2021, 23:57
Hi,

Does the System support GURPS 3e and Man-to-Man? If not is it possible to get access to the code so that I can modify it for 3e? Is it possible to get in as a player using the exiting 4e system so I can see how it works? Does the VTT system work well for Space or Autoduel setting or is primarily Fantasy/low tech oriented?

thanks,

ronnke
January 13th, 2021, 11:08
Hi,

Does the System support GURPS 3e and Man-to-Man? If not is it possible to get access to the code so that I can modify it for 3e? Is it possible to get in as a player using the exiting 4e system so I can see how it works? Does the VTT system work well for Space or Autoduel setting or is primarily Fantasy/low tech oriented?

thanks,

Fantasy Grounds can support GURPS 3e, however I don't think there is a current 3e ruleset available. 3e and 4e GURPS are near enough that you could probably just use the current GURPS 4e ruleset for games. Alternatively, you could with a little work utilise the CoreRPG or MoreCore rulesets for pretty much any RPG system. As for setting, this VTT, is not geared to any particular genre. Our group, for example, uses GURPS and Fantasy Grounds to play several campaigns such as, Traveller (space scifi), cyberpunk, fantasy, historical age of sail, post apocalyptic, and a modern special forces game. The Fantasy Grounds platform works well.

Accessing the GURPS 4e code is easy. Rename the ruleset file to a .zip and you can get the files that way.

If you want to see how the ruleset all works in practice, then you can check out my groups YouTube channel. We livestream all our weekly game sessions on Twitch and then make them available on YouTube afterwards.

OlympusRPG Group YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/OlympusRPGGroup
OlympusRPG Group Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/olympusrpg/

Hope this helps.

Nexos
January 13th, 2021, 11:20
Me and my group play 3e. Just ignore the fields that are not relevant to you or play around them (for example, a plain character has WILL = PER = INT)

seycyrus
January 13th, 2021, 22:52
Hi,

thanks,

What ever happened to The Fantasy Trip ruleset that was put out? TFT is very close to Man-to-Man.

ronnke
January 13th, 2021, 23:00
What ever happened to The Fantasy Trip ruleset that was put out? TFT is very close to Man-to-Man.

It's available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54446-The-Fantasy-Trip

seycyrus
January 13th, 2021, 23:37
It's available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54446-The-Fantasy-Trip

Looks like it is hidden in post #48.

xd134yd
January 15th, 2021, 00:18
Hi,

Thanks, would it be possible to play in one of your games so I could try it out?

regards,

ronnke
January 15th, 2021, 02:35
Thanks, would it be possible to play in one of your games so I could try it out?

Unfortunately, we are at capacity with our current campaigns. However, we do run one shot adventures from time to time in which we invite people to join. We will have another one of these one shots in a few weeks or so.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 27th, 2021, 12:05
Any plans to add these improvements and what is listed in the Idea Informer? The improvements I refer to are these:

Upcoming Features|Wishlist:

Mini Sheets

Allow the adding of vehicles|mounts to the Combat Tracker

Heath status and effects to show in token mouseover (tooltip)

ronnke
January 28th, 2021, 06:40
Any plans to add these improvements and what is listed in the Idea Informer? The improvements I refer to are these:

Upcoming Features|Wishlist:

Mini Sheets

Allow the adding of vehicles|mounts to the Combat Tracker

Heath status and effects to show in token mouseover (tooltip)

They will all be implemented at some point, however, I can't give a definitive date on when that will happen. I, and those who have offered to help, we work on the ruleset when time and motivation permits, so it's impossible to say when these things will be ready.

A GURPS specific party sheet, some combat tracker improvements, skill list improvements, and FGU fixes will be out before those wishlist items...at least that much I can confirm.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 28th, 2021, 07:02
I understand you and I know that you do it as you have time and motivation and that you now have one more concern that is adjusting for FGU, and I was already happy to know that the project has not died and that we will have new implementations and I apologize for my charges but I am anxious for the improvements and I am grateful for always being helpful and answering my questions.

VonKyrin
February 13th, 2021, 05:29
No insult intended here, because it looks pretty good and I know you've put in years of hard work. However...

This is basically unusable. The big problem is that most of the rules in GURPS are unbelievably complicated, especially for someone just starting out. If there is any hope of running a 1 hour session without 5 hours of page flipping and rule searching, the rules have to be on screen.

You can do this in Roll20, but I don't see any real way to do it here.

One of the primary problems seems to me to be that you have weapons instead of attacks. Many attacks don't involve weapons or damage. But they may involve multiple layers.

For example, the Martial Arts Arm lock rules with Pressure Points. The attack isn't a single attack roll but a Parry, an Attack, and a few Quick Contests. Most of the grappling rules are similar often with no damage but rather an effect applied. Roll 20 makes this possible because you can setup a parry including page number reference and text to add into the roll where you can include the rules. Then the attack can link to a technique that links to a skill for the attack role with all modifiers applied at each level. And you can also setup the quick contests as an attack as well.

My main point is that you can have an attack with several layers of rules and have the text of the rules show up right there in the chat window when you make your roll. (Would have been nice if you could toggle that on and off since if you get to know the rule you probably don't need to see it.) Considering there are thousands of techniques with unique rules combining with hundreds of weapons and such, GURPS is almost unplayable without something like this for new players. I think I'm going to have to use Roll20 until something like this is implemented.

ronnke
February 13th, 2021, 06:50
No insult intended here, because it looks pretty good and I know you've put in years of hard work. However...

This is basically unusable. The big problem is that most of the rules in GURPS are unbelievably complicated, especially for someone just starting out. If there is any hope of running a 1 hour session without 5 hours of page flipping and rule searching, the rules have to be on screen.

One of the primary problems seems to me to be that you have weapons instead of attacks. Many attacks don't involve weapons or damage. But they may involve multiple layers.

For example, the Martial Arts Arm lock rules with Pressure Points. The attack isn't a single attack roll but a Parry, an Attack, and a few Quick Contests. Most of the grappling rules are similar often with no damage but rather an effect applied. Roll 20 makes this possible because you can setup a parry including page number reference and text to add into the roll where you can include the rules. Then the attack can link to a technique that links to a skill for the attack role with all modifiers applied at each level. And you can also setup the quick contests as an attack as well.

My main point is that you can have an attack with several layers of rules and have the text of the rules show up right there in the chat window when you make your roll. (Would have been nice if you could toggle that on and off since if you get to know the rule you probably don't need to see it.) Considering there are thousands of techniques with unique rules combining with hundreds of weapons and such, GURPS is almost unplayable without something like this for new players. I think I'm going to have to use Roll20 until something like this is implemented.

Unfortunately, as there is no official support for VTTs from SJG. It is not permitted to build in rules text and such into the ruleset, as that's breach of copyright. You can however add this information manually to your campaigns and set it up as additional information/notes within all of the skills, attacks, spells, abilities, traits, etc on the character sheet. This does not appear when you make a roll, but there is an icon you can click to easily access this information or link in chat for others to reference. There is also facility for any modifiers you need for all those things as well. Not all attacks in the combat tab of the character sheet need be weapons either. You can setup all your hand to hand attacks, range attacks (spells, guns, powers, or whatever) all with reference info, modifiers, modes of attack, parries, etc. Pretty much any roll you need to make in GURPS has a facility for it somewhere in the character sheet. There is a link in the OP which demos how to set all this stuff up. Not sure how current it is since that was done a while ago, but it does cover the basics.

I would be happy to help to get your feet with the FG GURPS ruleset, jump onto my groups discord (https://discord.gg/8dXSZkg) and we can try work out a time. Alternatively, all VTTs are just different tools for you to play your games, if Roll20 is working for you, then keep using that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

damned
February 13th, 2021, 07:51

And yet thousands of sessions of GURPs are played on Fantasy Grounds.

You start with saying its unbelievably complex and the rules have to be onscreen and then finish saying you need to be able to turn this off when you learn the rules...

All RPGs are complex and require people to learn rules. If a player wants to use Martial Arts Arm Lock rules they should learn Martial Arts Arm Lock rules. They dont have to know the rules for using a Short Bow on Horseback.

Padre Moto
February 13th, 2021, 15:57

... GURPS is almost unplayable without something like this for new players. I think I'm going to have to use Roll20 until something like this is implemented.

Ronnke hits the nail on the head: SJG doesn't endorse VTT, so until that happens we can do precisely what he outlines in his reply above.

My experience has been positive with the existing ruleset. All of my players are new to GURPS as a system. I've had to do a lot of work: inputting modifier values, and effects. In the end, it works. Do I wish it were fully automated? Absolutely.

We have been playing a home brewed campaign complete with using maps on a hex-based grid.

The worst that players comment on: so many modifiers to track and input. The work-around: build in mods on weapons and skills or just calculate them and drop the total in the mod box. The worst as a GM: the players not knowing the rules, but they are learning. And I've encouraged them to purchase the PDF rule sets from SJG.

The best: the players appreciate the fidelity of the game system as a whole and this has nothing to do with the mechanics of the VTT.

So it is totally useable. With new players, keep it simple: start with the basics, and build complexity once the players have mastered the basics. For instance, because my new players aren't comfortable with tactical movement rules at this time, we are just simplifying them for our use: step and attack is intuitive; as for change of facing costs, we don't use them.

galenbd
February 13th, 2021, 19:24
The worst that players comment on: so many modifiers to track and input.

My experience with my players is that they complain about this with every system.

With Fate, we had modifier cards on the table and my players complained about sorting through them

With Cypher, they fussed about going up and down as they tacked on modifiers.

YMMV

kairos
February 13th, 2021, 21:33

I have to disagree. I actually just bought an unlimited FG license specifically to use the GURPS ruleset here, even though I've got a Pro Roll20 account. The inability to import character sheets, to me, makes Roll20 a no-go for GURPS. And I haven't touched GURPS since 3rd edition in high school, so sort of a new player in that regard, especially to 4E.

I've just spent twenty minutes adding spell descriptions to some DF pre-gens in GCS, which imported right into FGU.

ronnke
February 13th, 2021, 22:51
The worst that players comment on: so many modifiers to track and input.

TIP:
I have got into the habit of rarely using the modifiers in FG. While they are very useful to have on hand, they do slow down things a little. I roll the dice and then based on the result you can usually see if adding the modifiers would have made a difference. If the result is a borderline case, only then I will add up modifiers to see if the roll result was a success or failure...as you would if you were playing at the table with real dice. The only time I reliably add the modifiers to my FG roll is when making ranged attacks with RoF more than 1, because the ruleset conveniently totals the number of shots that hit.

Padre Moto
February 14th, 2021, 00:13
TIP:
I have got into the habit of rarely using the modifiers in FG. While they are very useful to have on hand, they do slow down things a little. I roll the dice and then based on the result you can usually see if adding the modifiers would have made a difference. If the result is a borderline case, only then I will add up modifiers to see if the roll result was a success or failure...as you would if you were playing at the table with real dice. The only time I reliably add the modifiers to my FG roll is when making ranged attacks with RoF more than 1, because the ruleset conveniently totals the number of shots that hit.

Great tip!

Ronnke, do you think we could start a sticky on the GURPS forum where people can post tips? Or does that exist already? It might be helpful for new ruleset users to see different approaches to using the ruleset.

VonKyrin
February 19th, 2021, 17:07
Unfortunately, as there is no official support for VTTs from SJG. It is not permitted to build in rules text and such into the ruleset, as that's breach of copyright. You can however add this information manually to your campaigns and set it up as additional information/notes within all of the skills, attacks, spells, abilities, traits, etc on the character sheet. This does not appear when you make a roll, but there is an icon you can click to easily access this information or link in chat for others to reference. There is also facility for any modifiers you need for all those things as well. Not all attacks in the combat tab of the character sheet need be weapons either. You can setup all your hand to hand attacks, range attacks (spells, guns, powers, or whatever) all with reference info, modifiers, modes of attack, parries, etc. Pretty much any roll you need to make in GURPS has a facility for it somewhere in the character sheet. There is a link in the OP which demos how to set all this stuff up. Not sure how current it is since that was done a while ago, but it does cover the basics.

I would be happy to help to get your feet with the FG GURPS ruleset, jump onto my groups discord (https://discord.gg/8dXSZkg) and we can try work out a time. Alternatively, all VTTs are just different tools for you to play your games, if Roll20 is working for you, then keep using that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Thanks for the reply! I might take you up on that Discord offer this weekend. And I really like the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." comment.

I totally understand the copyright issues. In Roll20, you have to type the rules in yourself (or copy paste from PDF) as well. I usually then edit the text to make it as concise as possible with a page reference and indications where the text has been altered such as using an ellipse. It would be nice to have it all there for you; maybe SJG could produce something so that it doesn't infringe on their copyrights. Regardless, I want SJG to get their royalties so that they can afford to keep putting out GURPS material.

Hopefully, this image will paste. It's a screen shot of some of what I'm talking about. There's actually a lot more rolls than I could get on one page with the text, including defense rolls. If I recall correctly, it starts with your Judo Parry defense vs. a bare handed attack and if you succeed then your next attack can be an attack to grapple the arm for no damage, which the defender gets defense rolls against (this gets bonuses for Combat Reflexes which should be figured in and noted). If that succeeds, then I believe on your next turn you can do the lock attack, which finally can inflict damage (and is a technique which can add bonuses on top of the skill involved - I have to reread the rules to remember if they get a defense roll and if they can use any of the 3 or if some are off limits). And then IF you actually inflict damage past the opponents DR, you can do a Pressure Points attack to cripple the limb which is an entirely different skill roll.

Trying to remember how they link together is important. (I have to do this attack, then next turn I can do that attack, and if that succeeds I can do that attack. None of which inflict damage until the end.)

But one of the key elements here is how you can link skills and techniques and attacks. The Technique involved can link to the underlying skill so that if you raise that skill, your technique roll is automatically recalculated and your attack for that technique is automatically recalculated as well, rather than trying to remember to individually change EVERY technique and every attack roll because your Judo skill went up by 1 point. And at every level, you've got the rules text right there so the GM doesn't have to remember every single word of the rules across 8 pages of rules and 3 different books. And if a question DOES arise there are page number references to go straight there instead of trying to desperately flip through the books.

Again, thank you for the reply! Things have been hectic here as I've been in the middle of a natural disaster (literally) this week. But I may try to get ahold of you on Discord this weekend and take you up on the generous offer.

Cheers!

VonKyrin
February 19th, 2021, 17:25
And yet thousands of sessions of GURPs are played on Fantasy Grounds.

You start with saying its unbelievably complex and the rules have to be onscreen and then finish saying you need to be able to turn this off when you learn the rules...

All RPGs are complex and require people to learn rules. If a player wants to use Martial Arts Arm Lock rules they should learn Martial Arts Arm Lock rules. They dont have to know the rules for using a Short Bow on Horseback.

You know, after I hit "send" I realized you were right before you even replied.

But "thousands" is probably pushing it a bit. I've been looking for a GURPS game since 4th edition came out. I've managed to find I think 4. Just recently found one, but they haven't had a session yet that I was able to attend. And I found that one on the SJG forum rather than on FG.

I've specifically been looking for GURPS game on FG for a couple of years now with no luck whatsoever. But admittedly, I haven't looked very hard; I usually just pop in a couple times a year to see if there is a GURPS looking for players and inevitably there isn't or if there was it filled up a week or two ago. I wish there were a lot more GURPS games. I really love the system although I have found the rules difficult to understand without getting in a group and actually playing.

I'm working on trying to put together a game myself and GM, partially for lack of games to play in and partially because I have some vague story ideas. But it's even worse not knowing the rules as a GM. It's a viscous cycle of "Can't find a game to practice and learn the rules and can't run a game because I don't know the rules". None the less, I'm still working on putting together a game right now.

So, as far as having the rules right there where you can see the exact rule on screen rather than having to page flip to a page you're not even sure what the number of is - I'm looking at that both as a player and a GM. As a player, I'm mostly wanting to be quick on my turn rather than having the players wait or expecting the GM to look up the rules for me. (Or just know all the details of a 4 paragraph rule off the top of his head.) As a GM, I'm wanting the same from my players or at least if I have to do the work for them I want a handy reference.

As a player, I started to do this in Microsoft OneNote where I clipped the rules from screen shots and had a page for each defense and attack. Then I realized I could put most of the info right there into each roll in Roll20.

And using a short bow on horse back is quite complicated as well. ;-) At least if you use the Martial Arts book. There's at least a few penalties that apply depending on the speed the horse is moving at and you're riding with no hands which is a penalty which of course can be bought off if you have the right techniques, etc...

All of this is more than a bit intimidating for a beginning GM, which I think is why you see so few GURPS games. I love the system, but haven't really had much opportunity to actually play it. I'm actually starting to learn it after a decade of reading the rule books. But, beyond just a very complex rules system (which in all fairness most of the better RPGS are just as complex -- some of them might even have more rule books) and the fear of being a page flipping GM, and the fact that you often still have to invent your own game if you want the game to match the story you have in your imagination, it's rough getting started as a GM and any little help possible is nice to have.

VonKyrin
February 19th, 2021, 17:44
I have to disagree. I actually just bought an unlimited FG license specifically to use the GURPS ruleset here, even though I've got a Pro Roll20 account. The inability to import character sheets, to me, makes Roll20 a no-go for GURPS. And I haven't touched GURPS since 3rd edition in high school, so sort of a new player in that regard, especially to 4E.

I've just spent twenty minutes adding spell descriptions to some DF pre-gens in GCS, which imported right into FGU.

I spent 20 hours entering a character into Roll20 before i found out you can easily import a character from GURPS Character Assistant by exporting to XML, converting to Json, and then importing. I tried it and it worked very well. Although they said you can't re-import it. Not sure if that meant you had to start all over and wipe the existing sheet, or if it meant you can't even do that. Probably you have to delete and recreate the existing sheet, which is a bit of a problem because all of attacks and defenses that I'm talking about aren't in the GCA data and thus would be lost. But still, it would have saved me about 19 hours out of 20 if I had of known you can import GCA to Roll20. It even did a better job than I did by doing it manually in some places. Even all the page number references were brought in automatically from CGA.

VonKyrin
February 19th, 2021, 18:24

Here is another screen shot with some more details of what I was talking about. Notice that these attacks can link to a technique or a skill. The technique itself links back to a skill. So, all the numbers are added up into the roll. Plus, there's a modifier allowed at every level so that if a modifier applies to that level, it can be baked into the roll.

There may be a way to do this in FG and I just haven't figured it out. But it's really nice to have it all linked so that if the underlying skill increases everything across the whole character sheet is automatically recalculated.

damned
February 19th, 2021, 22:39
Unfortunately they havent posted any newer figures:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36397&stc=1&d=1591120187

VonKyrin
February 19th, 2021, 23:52
Unfortunately they havent posted any newer figures:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36397&stc=1&d=1591120187

Point well taken.

damned
February 20th, 2021, 01:29
Your point is also fair - it doesnt seem like many games are available because most games are between existing groups. When people find a good group they tend to stick together as long as they can.

RevenantBob
February 21st, 2021, 12:58
Your point is also fair - it doesnt seem like many games are available because most games are between existing groups. When people find a good group they tend to stick together as long as they can.

I play GURPS -alot- on Fantasy Grounds, and this is the case with us. We don't play in an open group. We've been playing for years.

ssostac1
February 21st, 2021, 15:14
I used to run a weekly Tuesday night GURPS Fantasy and a Friday night GURPS Traveller campaign for a couple of years, but the sheer amount of prep work due to absolutely NO support from SJG forced me to switch to Pathfinder and Starfinder. It's a pity because I really do prefer GURPS. And the ironic thing is, I was buying up GURPS products from SJG regularly when I was running those campaigns, and I haven't bought a GURPS product since. SJG is missing out a quite a significant revenue stream IMO.

kairos
February 21st, 2021, 15:44
Although I am spectacularly inexperienced, I am prepping a Hall of Judgement game and will be recruiting in the next couple of weeks. So there's that. :)

Onlybomb
February 21st, 2021, 23:07
Hi,

I have been missing playing GURPS online because I cannot find a place to run it. I have seen this thread where do I go to get all the files I need to run GURPS on fantasy grounds?

How much prep do I have to do myself to make it viable? HELP!

seycyrus
February 22nd, 2021, 00:10
Hi,

I have been missing playing GURPS online because I cannot find a place to run it. I have seen this thread where do I go to get all the files I need to run GURPS on fantasy grounds?

The first post in this thread has a link to the files you need.

The ruleset is number one. If you want to pull in characters from GCA, then the GCA to FG exporter is important as well.

When's the last time you played GURPS? How familiar are you with FGU?

ronnke
February 22nd, 2021, 09:16

The amount of prep is very dependent on your GM style. From my years of playing GURPS in Fantasy Grounds, I am confident in saying the amount of prep you need is no more than that which you would do if you were prepping for a face to face game. With one exception. In FG you need to import your characters. The GCA and GCS character import scripts even makes that process painless.

You don't need to enter stuff into FG if you don't want to, again it comes down to GM style. I often play with all my GM notes and such in the same notebook I use for face to face games, very little of that gets entered into FG. If you plan to do map based combat then you will need some battle maps ready and literally 1000s of those can be found with a google search. Things like monsters and NPCs can mostly be entered on the fly, but it does pay to have a bunch of standard "templates" ready. I have a bunch of Generic Bad Dudes setup which get rebranded to thug, bandit, orc, or whatever as they are moved into the combat tracker. If you want to add extra fluff like location images, landscapes, people and places, then again google search those images and drop them into your campaign images folder. Even those can be done on the fly if your players go off script. Voice comms like Discord or Teamspeak is nearly a must in my opinion.

Online play is not as intimidating as people first believe it to be and I'd like to think the GURPS ruleset for FG goes a long way to making the barrier to entry small. It has at least been that way for my group and we've played weekly for 10+ years.

Onlybomb
February 22nd, 2021, 10:56
The amount of prep is very dependent on your GM style. From my years of playing GURPS in Fantasy Grounds, I am confident in saying the amount of prep you need is no more than that which you would do if you were prepping for a face to face game. With one exception. In FG you need to import your characters. The GCA and GCS character import scripts even makes that process painless.

Online play is not as intimidating as people first believe it to be and I'd like to think the GURPS ruleset for FG goes a long way to making the barrier to entry small. It has at least been that way for my group and we've played weekly for 10+ years.

I think you miss understand me, I use FG for D&D 5e and understand how the interface works (I hope), but I was referring to creating things in the game online - is all the character prep, vehicle prep etc. done via GCA then uploaded? It seems to me that All NPC's would be made on GCA then uploaded is that right? 5e has a lot of the creation built into the interface. Is there any extensions or modules that I can get beyond the GURPS basic rules?

RevenantBob
February 22nd, 2021, 11:14
I think you miss understand me, I use FG for D&D 5e and understand how the interface works (I hope), but I was referring to creating things in the game online - is all the character prep, vehicle prep etc. done via GCA then uploaded? It seems to me that All NPC's would be made on GCA then uploaded is that right? 5e has a lot of the creation built into the interface. Is there any extensions or modules that I can get beyond the GURPS basic rules?

I make everything in FG. NPCs and such are just stat blocks mostly. PLayers barely know what's behind the curtain so to speak.

ronnke
February 22nd, 2021, 13:03
Only characters (and major NPCs) are made in CGA/GCS. Minor NPCs and Monsters are simple stat blocks, as RevenantBob pointed out. Things like vehicles and equipment must be either created manually within FG, or made into extensions via some of the various tools people have created (can find those in this GURPS forum). Granted, official SJG support would make all that sort of content readily available, but until then, there are tools to help make prep easier.

galenbd
February 22nd, 2021, 13:04

I'm an advocate for only as much as you need. I don't build stats for most NPCs. I have a physical and personality description and that's about it. I don't expect my PC to beat up my NPCs.

When I get to foes, I only define what's relevant. Weapon skill, defenses, maybe one or two skills depending on what they are. Herbal Lore for witches, Stealth for goblins.

Those can be on your sheet of paper. Most stats I don't bother to put in the VTT app. Icon and name are what makes it in the VTT app.

ronnke
March 18th, 2021, 06:31
GURPS 4E Core Ruleset
(Updated: 17th Mar 2021)
(This update will make irreversible changes to the campaign database. As a precaution, backup your campaign folder before applying)

- Added: Abilities and Traits properly reflect information contained in Library data. Accessible via the "Info/Detail" section.
- Added: Skill and spell point values will now calculate the appropriate levels. Bonus points or levels are adjusted via the abilities "Info/Detail" section.
- Fixed: Some issues with FGU.
- Some other changes not worth mentioning.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 18th, 2021, 10:23
Is it my impression or is the download not going?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 18th, 2021, 11:08
coming back to say that the perception fault was mine and yes it is working.

gamemasterbob
March 26th, 2021, 00:32
I just want to say thanks to ronnke (and to all who may have helped) for this GURPS work. This is what makes FG great. What a community of talented, and dedicated creatives. Thanks so much. I especially enjoy the export for GCA. I can't say enough. This is why I stay with FG, invest in it and promote it. GREAT WORK!!

BTW - Is there a patreon to donate to?

ronnke
March 26th, 2021, 04:42
I just want to say thanks to ronnke (and to all who may have helped) for this GURPS work. This is what makes FG great. What a community of talented, and dedicated creatives. Thanks so much. I especially enjoy the export for GCA. I can't say enough. This is why I stay with FG, invest in it and promote it. GREAT WORK!!

BTW - Is there a patreon to donate to?

Thanks! This community really is fantastic. :)

There is no patreon or anything like that.

kairos
March 26th, 2021, 13:23

Hear hear.

So, I've had a FG Classic license since 2011, but hadn't used it since 2013. This ruleset is what drove me to get an FGU ultimate license. We had our first game last night during which we REALLY drilled into the ruleset for combat. Everyone was wowed, and combat went so smoothly thanks to all your good work. Thanks again.

If SJG is listening, I would totally pay for this ruleset and any related content. $$$ ;)

ronnke
April 3rd, 2021, 12:22
Minor ruleset update.

GURPS 4E Core Ruleset
(This update v3.6.x will make irreversible changes to the campaign database. As a precaution, backup your campaign folder before applying)

GURPS 4e Ruleset v3.6.1 - 3rd Apr 2021
- Fixed: Script errors related to 0 point Techniques.

TroyTheTrojan
May 10th, 2021, 07:18
I know this might sound dumb but what do I do with the GCA export zipped files?

Chorpa
May 10th, 2021, 07:30

You export them as xml:s and then import them into Fantasy Grounds as a Character or NPC. It is all shown how you do it in this video. https://youtu.be/CHn7jkM0UFQ

HalC
May 10th, 2021, 12:45
Minor ruleset update.

GURPS 4E Core Ruleset
(This update v3.6.x will make irreversible changes to the campaign database. As a precaution, backup your campaign folder before applying)

GURPS 4e Ruleset v3.6.1 - 3rd Apr 2021
- Fixed: Script errors related to 0 point Techniques.

is this for unity or classic? I have both.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 10th, 2021, 13:27
In this case, I separated the extensions by renaming it to the Unity version and Classic, but I'm just using the unity version and I'm curious to know how the visions and lighting will behave in GURPS.

ronnke
May 10th, 2021, 14:14
is this for unity or classic? I have both.

It covers both, but the script errors only appear in FGU.

ronnke
May 10th, 2021, 14:19

You extract the contents of the zip into your GCA\Sheets folder. I may be wrong, but I think that defaults to "Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\Sheets".

Then follow the instructions Chorpa posted earlier.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 7th, 2021, 16:43
Any plans for inserting race and character templates in the ruleset?

ronnke
July 18th, 2021, 00:49
Any plans for inserting race and character templates in the ruleset?

Short answer. Yes.

ronnke
July 18th, 2021, 12:19
The ruleset has been updated. This was only supposed to be a bug fix release to address a theme compatibility issue, but I accidently merged a feature from a future release...So it includes resource tracking.

Nexos
July 18th, 2021, 20:05
it includes resource tracking.

What is this meant to be used for, exactly?

ronnke
July 18th, 2021, 23:22
You can track things like Long Term Fatigue, Radiation Threshold Points, Powerstones, etc. I'm sure others will find different uses for it.

SceiccoNero
July 19th, 2021, 02:40
You can track things like Long Term Fatigue, Radiation Threshold Points, Powerstones, etc. I'm sure others will find different uses for it.

You are great, man!

Jaxilon
July 24th, 2021, 04:18
Nice!

Feroand
July 27th, 2021, 12:20
Hello and thanks for making this awesome ruleset.
I have a question:
I want to make damage dices auto-calculated. x2 for impaling, x1.5 for cutting, etc. I can make /roll 1d6*2 for impaling and it automatically multiple the result of the dices. However, I cannot make /roll 1d6*1.5 for cutting damage. It seems like macros cannot use decimal numbers. (I have tried /roll 1d6*1,5 with comma too).
Is there any way to make it work?
I hope this is not the wrong place to ask, and thanks for all the answers.

Nexos
July 27th, 2021, 14:57
Hello and thanks for making this awesome ruleset.
I have a question:
I want to make damage dices auto-calculated. x2 for impaling, x1.5 for cutting, etc. I can make /roll 1d6*2 for impaling and it automatically multiple the result of the dices. However, I cannot make /roll 1d6*1.5 for cutting damage. It seems like macros cannot use decimal numbers. (I have tried /roll 1d6*1,5 with comma too).
I hope this is not the wrong place to ask, and thanks for all the answers.

Remember that the calculation should be (damage-RD)*multiplier so automatically applying the multiplier to the dice roll will probably not suit your needs.

Feroand
July 27th, 2021, 15:08
Thank you for reminding DR rules.
We are playing a Supernatural-inspired campaing (inspired from the TV show) and characters don't have any armor on them. (EDİT: The monster they are chasing either)
Apart from that, I totally have forgotten the DR rules you mentioned :D I am a brand new GURPS GM. So, thanks again.

Melioch54
July 28th, 2021, 00:41
That's a GREAT job, thanks a lot

Werethunder
August 2nd, 2021, 15:26
However, I cannot make /roll 1d6*1.5 for cutting damage. It seems like macros cannot use decimal numbers. (I have tried /roll 1d6*1,5 with comma too).

Hi! Try, instead of a decimal number, using a fraction. For instance, in your example, you'd achieve the intended results by typing </die 1d6*3/2>.
Maybe this is also coming in handy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huFgen7-TUQ

Nice regards! ;)

ronnke
August 3rd, 2021, 10:11
Thank you for reminding DR rules.
We are playing a Supernatural-inspired campaing (inspired from the TV show) and characters don't have any armor on them. (EDİT: The monster they are chasing either)
Apart from that, I totally have forgotten the DR rules you mentioned :D I am a brand new GURPS GM. So, thanks again.

Hold off on your calculator...there is a new release in development with this feature.

Melioch54
August 3rd, 2021, 14:05
Yummy !

Dragonrose0
August 17th, 2021, 02:29
when importing from GCA if there is an & the import fails eg spells from the Communication & Empathy college. you have to go into the XML file and hand edit the & out

RevenantBob
August 20th, 2021, 23:08
Where is the source for this ruleset hosted now? The github looks like it wasn't updated in a long time.

Jaxilon
August 21st, 2021, 03:48
Where is the source for this ruleset hosted now? The github looks like it wasn't updated in a long time.

Are you talking about the link in the first post of this thread? I believe that is all you need to get the latest version.

RevenantBob
August 21st, 2021, 05:54
Are you talking about the link in the first post of this thread? I believe that is all you need to get the latest version.

I meant the source code and work. I can obviously pull things out of the Hak but if I wanted to be able to rebase and such off of the source for mods and such I wanted to know where it was.

Jaxilon
August 21st, 2021, 09:14
I meant the source code and work. I can obviously pull things out of the Hak but if I wanted to be able to rebase and such off of the source for mods and such I wanted to know where it was.

I've only ever renamed the .pak to .zip and accessed the .Lua files there. If there is a better way than that I'm fixing to be enlightened.

RevenantBob
August 21st, 2021, 23:15
I've only ever renamed the .pak to .zip and accessed the .Lua files there. If there is a better way than that I'm fixing to be enlightened.

Source control is amazing ;)

ronnke
August 21st, 2021, 23:56

The github repo is correct. I have been slack and have not pushed some of the recent updates. I'll bring it up to date.

ronnke
August 21st, 2021, 23:58

If the mods you plan to make can be of general use to the community, I can set you up as a contributor to the ruleset.

Jaxilon
August 22nd, 2021, 01:23
Well, how do you like that? It's just like me to do things the hard way. :)

RevenantBob
September 12th, 2021, 17:39
If the mods you plan to make can be of general use to the community, I can set you up as a contributor to the ruleset.

Sure! I'd love to contribute.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 3rd, 2021, 09:20
It's no secret that I'm a supportive GURPS lover with "full" automation here at Fantasy Grounds and that I like to keep making front end changes to many other rule sets, it's also no secret that I keep looking at the forums every day from FG, to see if things left the wish or suggestion list, so I'll ask: Has the project stalled or will we be surprised with any improvement? I'm looking at the wrong place and these changes have already been released and I lost the link. And I take this opportunity to say that GURPS in Foundry is more complete and automated compared to what we have here, I confess I'm not going and I don't want to change platforms, but it would be nice to be able to apply effects, create modifiers, have separate damage by body part, calculate the amount of total damage by type and after having the resistance calculated. I know it's hard work but it's something that would make it a lot easier.

Feroand
October 4th, 2021, 21:58
Hello there and thanks for making this ruleset.

I am considering creating a mod which contains all of the skills, advantages, disadvanteges, spells, etc. for private use. Honestly, I want to share them but... It seems like Steve Jackson Games doesn't like to share such things. I haven't find anyone who did and share this. Also, some people are arguing about copy-rights, etc. I don't want to make trouble.

Since it takes too many hours to copy/paste the things from PDFs into FGU, I want to be sure that it can be usable in the long-run. What I mean is, do you planning any major changes on the ruleset which may corrupt the module datas I might create? Am I planning something un-useful or stupid? And, do you have any suggestions?

I want to do this because almost all of my players don't want to make endeavor while creating player characters. Drag-drop mechanics is soo powerful that they cannot give up the comfort they find in FGU version of D&D ruleset.

RevenantBob
October 5th, 2021, 02:25
Hello there and thanks for making this ruleset.

I am considering creating a mod which contains all of the skills, advantages, disadvanteges, spells, etc. for private use. Honestly, I want to share them but... It seems like Steve Jackson Games doesn't like to share such things. I haven't find anyone who did and share this. Also, some people are arguing about copy-rights, etc. I don't want to make trouble.

Since it takes too many hours to copy/paste the things from PDFs into FGU, I want to be sure that it can be usable in the long-run. What I mean is, do you planning any major changes on the ruleset which may corrupt the module datas I might create? Am I planning something un-useful or stupid? And, do you have any suggestions?

I want to do this because almost all of my players don't want to make endeavor while creating player characters. Drag-drop mechanics is soo powerful that they cannot give up the comfort they find in FGU version of D&D ruleset.

You can make characters in GCS and import them into FG ruleset. It has a few issues that you have to manually fix, but it works! That has full drag and drop, with references, modifiers and more.

I don't SJ Games care about all the skill names and advantages names being in FG (I'm not going to test it either way), but I think they want the substance and content of their books to be in the book so that they are paid for people playing and using the game. Sounds like you want all the text from the books in FG as well, and that's definitely copying the text, which infringes on copyrights.

Feroand
October 5th, 2021, 19:04
You can make characters in GCS and import them into FG ruleset. It has a few issues that you have to manually fix, but it works! That has full drag and drop, with references, modifiers and more.

I don't SJ Games care about all the skill names and advantages names being in FG (I'm not going to test it either way), but I think they want the substance and content of their books to be in the book so that they are paid for people playing and using the game. Sounds like you want all the text from the books in FG as well, and that's definitely copying the text, which infringes on copyrights.

Thanks for answering.
GCS is an outstanding tool, indeed. Unfortunately, I am having some problems with it. Most of the times, while I try to import those files in FGU, it says "Import: An error occured while parsing EntityName. Line xxxxx, position yyyy" as an error. The numbers change from time to time. For example, they are "Line 130, position 41" right now.

I am using linux, I do not know if it is happening because of that. PS: I am not a good linux user and lack of terminal skills

I deleted some of the things that I add on my GCS character. When I delete all of the spells, importing process worked without an issue. Advantages, skills, etc. doesn't have any affects on that.

I deleted the character and try to export/import the ones on the Basic Sets. Despite their being without a spell, they couldn't be imported either.
İt can be imported as a NPC, though.

So, I couldn't find what causes the problem.

Also, I do not know if it was caused by Fantasy Grounds Unity GURPS 4e ruleset or GCS. I have tried to inform the person who created GCS on the Discord, though.

UPDATE:
It seems like FG inport system doesn't put up with special characters on the names and descriptions of the things. I have deleted all of the & characters from schools names of the spells, and it could import them without an error. I have deleted & characters from the chategory of pre-made PCs on the basic set, and it worked too.

ronnke
October 12th, 2021, 13:21
It's no secret that I'm a supportive GURPS lover with "full" automation here at Fantasy Grounds and that I like to keep making front end changes to many other rule sets, it's also no secret that I keep looking at the forums every day from FG, to see if things left the wish or suggestion list, so I'll ask: Has the project stalled or will we be surprised with any improvement? I'm looking at the wrong place and these changes have already been released and I lost the link. And I take this opportunity to say that GURPS in Foundry is more complete and automated compared to what we have here, I confess I'm not going and I don't want to change platforms, but it would be nice to be able to apply effects, create modifiers, have separate damage by body part, calculate the amount of total damage by type and after having the resistance calculated. I know it's hard work but it's something that would make it a lot easier.

Damage calculation automation is in development along with some other features. I won't commit to a date, as real life is playing havoc with my time, but it should be out before the end of the year.

ronnke
October 12th, 2021, 13:36
Thanks for answering.
UPDATE:
It seems like FG inport system doesn't put up with special characters on the names and descriptions of the things. I have deleted all of the & characters from schools names of the spells, and it could import them without an error. I have deleted & characters from the chategory of pre-made PCs on the basic set, and it worked too.

This issue only exists when importing with FGU as it requires properly formatted xml files to read, FGC is more forgiving. If you want the special characters included, then you will have to use the xhtml escapes code for them. Eg. & = &amp;

Ideally, the GCS export script should convert all special characters to the xhtml code as part of the export. I'm not familiar with the GCS export script, so I'm not sure how easy that is to implement.

bakakel
October 30th, 2021, 16:24
Hi everyone - i've run into an issue with the ruleset, and i'm not quite sure when it started up...

All of the skills for my players generate an "[ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_actor_ability.lua"]:209: attempt to call field 'getStat' (a nil value)"

It appears to be triggered specifically when the Type or Pts fields are adjusted in any way, or when skills are dropped in from the abilities list.

It's not specific to Abilities dropped from the list - even when creating a new skill on my existing characters, the problem persists.

It appears to trigger on a new character with a new skill specifically when the Type field is entered or modified.

Would anyone know how to deal with this?

ronnke
October 31st, 2021, 13:36
Would anyone know how to deal with this?

Are you using FG Unity or Classic? Is it possible for you to export the character displaying this issue and send me the xml file.

seycyrus
November 4th, 2021, 03:45
Ronnke,

I am not sure if this is related to the previous reported error, but I am having problems importing a PC. Can you please give it a try? Somethign about parsing entity name.

johniba
November 4th, 2021, 04:36
Ronnke,

I am not sure if this is related to the previous reported error, but I am having problems importing a PC. Can you please give it a try? Somethign about parsing entity name.

I just had a look at your file, and I found the issue

You can easly edit and fix this file, and it will allow you to import this character.

I believe this character was exported using FGClassic, right?
As people have pointed out, FGClassic is very forgiving with some special characters in xml files, and FGUnity is more strict (which is not a bad idea, but is causing issues here)

Here is what you need to do to fix this issue:

Open your .xml file with an editor. You can use any editor: just locate the file with windows explorer, right click it and choose "edit"
I believe by default it will open the file in wordpad.

Now, follow these steps:

- press "CTRL+H". This will open the Replace window.
- in the "Find what", type <space>&<space> (actually press "space" instead of typing <space>... so it will be " & "... without quotation marks... hope it makes sense)
- in "Replace with", type: &amp;

(So, look in the screenshot I have attached, it will make sense)

- Click the "replace all" button...
- Save the file
- open your gurps campaign in FGU and try to import

I hope it helps, It worked here, so if you have trouble to repeat this, let me know

Explanation:

the "&" character is a special character used in xml files. When you export something to xml, the program should see when the & is being used in the context of a string of text instead of an xml command, and replace the "&" with "&amp;" but the exporter in FGC is not doing that.

Other people may have similar issues but instead of the & character, if they use some "international" characters, those will also cause issues.
If that is the case, I would try first editing the character and removing any international characters before exporting.

In FGU, export/import should produce the correct files though...

seycyrus
November 4th, 2021, 14:05
I just had a look at your file, and I found the issue

You can easly edit and fix this file, and it will allow you to import this character.

I believe this character was exported using FGClassic, right?...

Thanks for your help. I'll take a look at your fix.

It was actually exported using Gurps Character Assistant.

johniba
November 4th, 2021, 15:15
Thanks for your help. I'll take a look at your fix.

It was actually exported using Gurps Character Assistant.

Ah I see!

Its been a long time since I used it
Maybe this could be reported to SJG...

Worst case scenario, I think it would be easy to create a program or script to update the exported files before they are to be imported into FG

johniba
November 4th, 2021, 15:49
I am trying to test the GCA4 export.

I have just downloaded the latest version for GCA4, but when I create a character and export -> and select: "export xml for Fantasy Grounds II", it doesnt seem to save the export file.
Am I missing something?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 4th, 2021, 17:02
John, if I remember you need 2 files created by Ronnke to Export

seycyrus
November 4th, 2021, 17:05
Yako is correct. The two exporter files (one for NPC and the other for PC) are found on the first post of this thread. You place them in the appropriate GCA folder, and then choose them when you export.

johniba
November 4th, 2021, 17:46
Yako is correct. The two exporter files (one for NPC and the other for PC) are found on the first post of this thread. You place them in the appropriate GCA folder, and then choose them when you export.

thanks a lot... i wanna check them and see if there is anything that could be done about the export issues

johniba
November 4th, 2021, 18:31
I have updated the export PC for Fantasy Grounds.gce PC Exporter
EDIT: I have also updated the NPC exporter, they are both in the attached file.

The code will now properly escape HTML/XML characters, so it should work with importing either in FGClassic or FGUnity

This may need more people testing, please let me know if there is anything wrong.

To use this, please unzip first.

Usage is the same as in the original post video tutorial

Explanation on the fix:

I have updated the code, wherever it was outputting a string, I added a code that escaped xml coding, meaning it made the xml export file compatible with proper xml formatting.

johniba
November 4th, 2021, 19:48
Hey Guys, so I was having a conversation with Yako2020, and he pointed out about the current beta version of GCA5
As it is, the exporter does not work with that version.

Upon looking quickly at some example plugin code, I believe I can develop an export plugin for GCA5.

I will look into this, and work closely with you guys, to get feedback and test it.

I am only checking with the SJG Admin, to see if it is fine to create it using as a basis, the provided export to simple text plugin they include with GCA5

seycyrus
November 4th, 2021, 20:51
Thank you sir!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
December 22nd, 2021, 18:58
Not to miss the craze to ask: When will we have new improvements to the listing. And I am also here to wish you all a good Christmas and of course wish for a prosperous new year!

Padre Moto
December 23rd, 2021, 07:43
I hope all is well with our developers.

It's been some time since hearing from a few of you. I read earlier that real life has been creating havoc for one of you.

So here is a genuine expression of care and some concern for you all. I do hope everything is okay. After seeing the news of the untimely passing of FGU's Dave Middleton from Covid-19, I don't discount how life can change for any of us in the blink of an eye.

I will also share warmest holiday greetings/Merry Christmas to all in our FGU GURPS community.

Kenet
January 5th, 2022, 14:08
hello everyone, please tell me where I can get databases or something similar to start the game via FG?

I downloaded a basic set of GURPS rules. installed. but there is nothing there, no basic skills, no basic things, such as a tent, etc.

if I understood correctly, then GCA Exporter Files is only for creating new characters. Of course, I will create them for my campaigns.

tell me where to look for these additions or what are they called correctly ? maybe search keywords ?
thanks.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 6th, 2022, 04:27
Kenet Unfortunately the content of the books must be populated, as so far what has been authorized by SJGames was the creation of the Rule Set with a good deal of automation, I hope that one day we will have the GURPS books here on FGU or maybe one way of having a "PARSER" with PDF inside the FGU.

seycyrus
January 7th, 2022, 16:08
The character sheets are buggy after the latest update. One cannot roll attacks or make skill checks from the character sheet.

SceiccoNero
January 7th, 2022, 16:16
Same problem here.

ronnke
January 7th, 2022, 18:22
The character sheets are buggy after the latest update. One cannot roll attacks or make skill checks from the character sheet.

A new release will be out today.

seycyrus
January 8th, 2022, 16:15

Thanks! Looking forward to it!

Nexos
January 9th, 2022, 01:10

I wasn't so hyped since Skyrim's release :D

SceiccoNero
January 9th, 2022, 12:46
Great News!! Great, great, great news!

ronnke
January 9th, 2022, 17:11
Ruleset updated.

GURPS 4E Core Ruleset
(Updated: 10th Jan 2022)

SceiccoNero
January 9th, 2022, 17:37
Thanks man! However, combat and skill rolls are still disabled I am afraid. I do not know if this is WAD on your side.

ronnke
January 9th, 2022, 17:40
Thanks man! However, combat and skill rolls are still disabled I am afraid. I do not know if this is WAD on your side.

Let me investigate. Will fix ASAP.

Padre Moto
January 9th, 2022, 23:54
Also, I can't seem to input any modifier values in the modifier box. Good to see you back ronnke!

Padre Moto
January 10th, 2022, 00:07
I also can't get my PCs to roll skills, however the NPC rolls appear to work just fine, including drop and drag onto tokens.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 10th, 2022, 00:35
I know, but apart from the mandatory corrections due to smite's changes, I have the feeling that some changes will arise in the near future, very good changes to the rule set! Oh and before I forget and good to have you back!

ronnke
January 10th, 2022, 00:50
Let me investigate. Will fix ASAP.

Fixed the issue.

GURPS 4E Core Ruleset

ronnke
January 10th, 2022, 01:05
Along with the ruleset update there is a new GURPS Assets.mod file which is used with FGU. This is optional, but contains the default decals for the ruleset.

GURPS Assets (For FGU)
Download the latest release of the GURPS Assets from here: https://bit.ly/GURPSFGUAssets

Padre Moto
January 10th, 2022, 03:19
Awesome work ronnke! Thank you so much!!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 10th, 2022, 03:57
Wow! It was amazing! Thank you Ronnke!
Now tell me something, even if it's a spoiler, did we already have a Presets field in Modifiers and I've never seen it, or will we soon have Preset Modifiers?

ronnke
January 10th, 2022, 04:31
Wow! It was amazing! Thank you Ronnke!
Now tell me something, even if it's a spoiler, did we already have a Presets field in Modifiers and I've never seen it, or will we soon have Preset Modifiers?

We will soon have preset modifiers.

Padre Moto
January 10th, 2022, 04:36
I think it indeed it does record a modifier, but the colour of the modifier itself is black against the black modifier box on my VTT. So I can't see the modifier itself.

ronnke
January 12th, 2022, 00:04
FYI. The ruleset is now available in the FG Forge. It should make it easier to maintain and update.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/454/view

Fezzik Buttercup
January 12th, 2022, 03:27
It's been a while since I puttered around with FGU (my campaign never took off... lousy ingrate grand nieces and nephews :) ).

I can't seem to get the asset mod to show up in my list of mods; everthing else gurps related that I have is showing up in the list but the Gurps Assets is not. I'm up to date with everything so I'm not sure why it isn't showing up.

ronnke
January 12th, 2022, 03:41
I can't seem to get the asset mod to show up in my list of mods; everthing else gurps related that I have is showing up in the list but the Gurps Assets is not. I'm up to date with everything so I'm not sure why it isn't showing up.

You don't need to activate the "GURPS Assets.mod". It's loaded automatically by the ruleset.

Padre Moto
January 12th, 2022, 04:50
It's been a while since I puttered around with FGU (my campaign never took off... lousy ingrate grand nieces and nephews :) ).

Click on images and you should find the assets there and can click on them.

Padre Moto
January 14th, 2022, 23:26
I think it indeed it does record a modifier, but the colour of the modifier itself is black against the black modifier box on my VTT. So I can't see the modifier itself.

Am I the only one who can't see the modifiers listed in the modifier box? Thanks.

seycyrus
January 15th, 2022, 02:04
Am I the only one who can't see the modifiers listed in the modifier box? Thanks.

Yeah, I don't understand what you are saying. I see all the modifiers that I have, just fine. Can you provide a screenshot?

Padre Moto
January 15th, 2022, 02:28
Sorry for the bother.

I figured it out. I had a different GURPS Core Unity extension loaded.

All good.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 15th, 2022, 05:54
I have the impression that the version you were using was the one I had edited Padre Moto.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 15th, 2022, 06:04
but anyway I fixed the modcollector, Padre Moto.

Padre Moto
January 15th, 2022, 06:22
Excellent!

seycyrus
January 15th, 2022, 06:25
but anyway I fixed the modcollector, Padre Moto.

Yako. I see that you keep the combat tracker right below the chat window. Do you use one monitor for FGU?

During a session, do you keep the Modifiers window and Effects windows open, and if so, where are they placed?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 15th, 2022, 10:03
Yes, I only use one monitor and this was the best way I found to position my things, dice at the top of the chat, just like modcollector, the player portraits are free, when I say that I mean the color icons of each player , as well as the name stripe (which even allows longer names) and the AFK icon do not cover the portrait, and I do not have the modifier window open and also when I put any image in panel mode, it anchors to the side from the chat and side tab.
In addition to the chat messages being on one line so that Audio and its triggers can work, and I forgot to mention that the dice tower is at the top of the chat too. And no, I never Master GURPS nor in FGC, nor in FGU, I keep making these aesthetic changes, and as for the shop, it allows players to spend their rich money buying items or services, but as my limit is aesthetic, I don't know limit the purchase if the character doesn't have money, as well as I need to adjust the XP extension, which in the case when distributing the XP, it goes to the points without spending and when they buy something from points, it decreases and can only be changed by the GM , as well as the amount of $.
I hope I explained it well, with the help of Google translator.

seycyrus
January 15th, 2022, 13:23
Yes, I only use one monitor and this was the best way I found to position my things, ...

How do you apply effects to the PCs and NPCs?

With your combat tracker being relatively short, doesn't it take a bit of scrolling (and therefore time) to drag an effect ("crippled right-arm") onto "Desperado 2" etc. in the combat tracker?

Or do you drag effects onto the NPC token on the map?

Where do you normally put the map?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 15th, 2022, 15:11
Seycyrus
As I have great problem in speaking the language (English) for fear of speaking wrong and for lack of knowledge I will try to make 1 video with my extension, showing how I make adjustments in only one and in case I have no listing of modifiers and effects. I played a lot of GURPS when it was 3rd Edition, but the 4th Edition and especially in fantasy grounds just have the theory, I look forward to the arrival of improvements, as application of effects that can provoke modifiers and changes listed at the beginning of the post where the ruleset can be downloaded, such as life bar in the token and body parts to be able to manage different RDs and thus apply the different types of damage, it was because it has no material and want to know in practice that I asked the Caravan for Ein Arris, so have material to "know" better the GURPS in fantasy grounds and also to show how much the System is good and practical in FG, but I understand the legal complications that this would bring

Padre Moto
January 16th, 2022, 07:06
Yako have you been able to play as a player in any GURPS 4e games on FGU?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 16th, 2022, 11:53
Padre Moto, I'm a Brazilian from the interior of São Paulo, which thanks to Google I can communicate here in the Forum, my adolescence all played gurps 3E and acquired the GURPS 4E, then friends began to move to other places and the tables were running out, that's when I resorted to rpg Online and luckily stopped here in what was once known as Fantasy Grounds and I really liked what I saw, a platform where the session has to be prepared and luckily had a person who made a sketch of the GURPS 4E, but for problems had to stop, even in this prototype of GURPS had a Vitruvian man who could insert the HPs of each part of the body, but what I found most interesting was the token cycle, where I could have multiple positions of a token. So we were awarded Ronnke creating the Official Ruleset of GURPS, everything was going well until the Fantasy Grounds Unity came and brought many possibilities, but at the same time broke many things and in case I was always a tester, a bug hunt, to try in a way to help those who know how to do what they do not know, which is to program for real and only played a few minutes at a table of Ronnke but was still FGC and when doing tests between master and player, were on different PCs and on different internet connections, sometimes even on LAN and in all tests, especially for my aesthetic changes everything worked fine, of course well, after hours and hours of testing and changes. Of course these most changes and tests were and are more for my ego, but I'm happy when they please other players and masters. Of course these most changes and tests were and are more for my ego, but I'm happy when they please other players and masters. Of course these most changes and tests were and are more for my ego, but I'm happy when they please other players and masters. Of course these most changes and tests were and are more for my ego, but I'm happy when they please other players and masters. Of course these most changes and tests were and are more for my ego, but I'm happy when they please other players and masters. And the saddest And the saddest thing is that GURPS was a great system hereAnd the saddest thing is that And the saddest thing is that GURPS it was a great system here, but today it is stigmatized is cause for laughing stock and jokes.

Padre Moto
January 17th, 2022, 03:57
Padre Moto, I'm a Brazilian from the interior of São Paulo, which thanks to Google I can communicate here in the Forum, my adolescence all played gurps 3E and acquired the GURPS 4E, then friends began to move to other places and the tables were running out, that's when I resorted to rpg Online and luckily stopped here in what was once known as Fantasy Grounds and I really liked what I saw, a platform where the session has to be prepared and luckily had a person who made a sketch of the GURPS 4E, but for problems had to stop, even in this prototype of GURPS had a Vitruvian man who could insert the HPs of each part of the body, but what I found most interesting was the token cycle, where I could have multiple positions of a token. So we were awarded Ronnke creating the Official Ruleset of GURPS, everything was going well until the Fantasy Grounds Unity came and brought many possibilities, but at the same time broke many things and in case I was always a tester, a bug hunt, to try in a way to help those who know how to do what they do not know, which is to program for real and only played a few minutes at a table of Ronnke but was still FGC and when doing tests between master and player, were on different PCs and on different internet connections, sometimes even on LAN and in all tests, especially for my aesthetic changes everything worked fine, of course well, after hours and hours of testing and changes. Of course these most changes and tests were and are more for my ego, but I'm happy when they please other players and masters. Of course these most changes and tests were and are more for my ego, but I'm happy when they please other players and masters. Of course these most changes and tests were and are more for my ego, but I'm happy when they please other players and masters. Of course these most changes and tests were and are more for my ego, but I'm happy when they please other players and masters. Of course these most changes and tests were and are more for my ego, but I'm happy when they please other players and masters. And the saddest And the saddest thing is that GURPS was a great system hereAnd the saddest thing is that And the saddest thing is that GURPS it was a great system here, but today it is stigmatized is cause for laughing stock and jokes.

Eu aprendi que GURPS é um gosto para adquirir.

Ainda bem que todos temos bom gosto ;)

Obrigado por compartilhar um pouco da sua história!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 17th, 2022, 04:41
I just have to thank the community, the friends I made and especially the affection and attention of everyone! Thank you! Padre Moto!

seycyrus
January 23rd, 2022, 22:21
Are things messed up again for anyone else? Same problem as two weeks ago (that got fixed) - can't roll attacks and/or skill checks...

Things were unfixed with the latest FGU release perhaps?

EDIT: My problem was fixed. Not sure the culprit, but I unloaded a bunch of extensions and everything is working now.

ronnke
January 23rd, 2022, 23:04
Are things messed up again for anyone else? Same problem as two weeks ago (that got fixed) - can't roll attacks and/or skill checks...

Things were unfixed with the latest FGU release perhaps?

I just updated and checked, all is working normally.

Padre Moto
January 25th, 2022, 17:26
Things seem to be working normally for me.

Fezzik Buttercup
January 31st, 2022, 22:34
Language extension doesn't seem to be working with GURPS, although it works with Core and 5e without issues (it's just not showing the translation (whacky font), or 'seen by' or 'translated'.

Not a big issue, the language fonts I worked with before were fine, but not since I came back to try things out again. So it's a GURPS specific thing as far as I can tell.

Gigermann
February 1st, 2022, 14:55
Check if you're using an old one. I think they had to be adjusted at some point.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 1st, 2022, 16:52
I'm not sure, but the way languages and fonts work has changed, but I didn't get to see it in depth.

Fezzik Buttercup
February 1st, 2022, 20:40
It's the one on the forge at the moment (fonts - extended languages). I tried the old verstion of Gurps fantasy languages that I made and it's not functioning either. I haven't seen any recent ones just for GURPS if there are any out there?

WishX
February 3rd, 2022, 22:26
There is now a #gurps discussion channel on our Discord server under the GAME SYSTEM CHANNELS header. :)
Link: https://discord.gg/mFDG285W

WoodmanX
February 3rd, 2022, 23:26
I just finished my first draft of a GCA5 export plugin
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FSpXCSeC6KudAjpwOE5MLKA1AK6MKSmJ/view?usp=sharing

seycyrus
February 4th, 2022, 01:23
I just finished my first draft of a GCA5 export plugin
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FSpXCSeC6KudAjpwOE5MLKA1AK6MKSmJ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks a bunch! Where does one put those files?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 4th, 2022, 03:38
cool, how to install the plugin to export from the GCA5 to FG?

WoodmanX
February 4th, 2022, 07:34
The files go in a folder in the GCA Plugin Folder, the default location is in your Documents folder as follows

Documents
-GURPS Character Assistant 5
--plugins
---GCA5FantasyGroundsExporter
----GCA5FantasyGroundsExporter.dll
----GCA5FantasyGroundsExporter.pdb

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 4th, 2022, 14:13
Cool! I managed to get it to work, but from what I've seen the export happens from GCA5 to Foundry, but the biggest problem here is that we use Fantasy Grounds.

WoodmanX
February 4th, 2022, 15:30
There is a Foundry Export distributed with GCA5, this one I made for Fantasy Grounds, should look like in this picture
https://i.imgur.com/atFGeTD.jpg

And I made a typo in Fantasy Grounds in the name and description, never noticed that until now

seycyrus
February 4th, 2022, 16:12
Crazy. I'm not seeing the GCA5 to FGU option. Not seeing the Foundry option for what it's worth either.

EDIT: Nevermind. You have to include the folder itself, not just the files.

seycyrus
February 4th, 2022, 16:18
Thanks for the PC export. Have you thought about an NPC export as well? Is that a lot of additional work?

WoodmanX
February 4th, 2022, 17:19
I havent looked at the NPC export yet, but i suppose it is mostly a simplified version of PC export, so I started out with the PC export, but I will give it a look next week.

seycyrus
February 7th, 2022, 23:31
I havent looked at the NPC export yet, but i suppose it is mostly a simplified version of PC export, so I started out with the PC export, but I will give it a look next week.
Awesome, can't wait. Thanks a bunch!

seycyrus
February 8th, 2022, 00:00
Did we lose the ability to control what sidebar elements the players have on their desktop?

Or even what sidebar elements the GM has, for that matter?

EDIT: Apparently, this is just how FGU is now.

WoodmanX
February 8th, 2022, 20:30
I took a peek at the NPC format and it is a simplified version of the PC Format, it contains less info, and some info is combined, so it should not take toooo long to get it done from the work already done for PC export. But I'm on a business trip right now so it will be a couple of days until I can really give it a go.

Also Armin was nice enough to put the PC export in the package manager, so with the official release of GCA5 now available you can install it via the normal update mechanism under optional packages.

seycyrus
February 10th, 2022, 01:10
I took a peek at the NPC format and it is a simplified version of the PC Format, it contains less info, and some info is combined, so it should not take toooo long to get it done from the work already done for PC export. But I'm on a business trip right now so it will be a couple of days until I can really give it a go.

Also Armin was nice enough to put the PC export in the package manager, so with the official release of GCA5 now available you can install it via the normal update mechanism under optional packages.

Nice! On both counts!

Do you think Armin could be persuaded to put the NPC export into the package manager as well?

Fezzik Buttercup
February 12th, 2022, 20:02

I had no problems getting this (not using it right now, but just thought I'd mention it) with the beta version, but it's not working currently with the full release (warehouse23 just informed me today that the new one is now available!)

Good stuff otherwise.

If I was younger and smarter I'd try to do stuff for all this but I'm still stuck in Basic... I have no idea how all these new fangled languages work :)

RevenantBob
February 12th, 2022, 23:15
I'm probably going to mod NPC Traits text to be rich formatted.

RevenantBob
February 12th, 2022, 23:59
So while I was doing that, I found a bug. The "TRAITS" label can be clicked and edited. It's not actually a label.

Nexos
February 16th, 2022, 11:01
So while I was doing that, I found a bug. The "TRAITS" label can be clicked and edited. It's not actually a label.

Nicely spotted!

WoodmanX
February 17th, 2022, 09:46
I had no problems getting this (not using it right now, but just thought I'd mention it) with the beta version, but it's not working currently with the full release (warehouse23 just informed me today that the new one is now available!)

Good stuff otherwise.

If I was younger and smarter I'd try to do stuff for all this but I'm still stuck in Basic... I have no idea how all these new fangled languages work

error code.jpg

Yeah that's something Armin warned me about, basically all plugins need to be recompiled for each GCA release to stay compatible. But if you look in the update manager under optional packages, the PC export is there, this will make GCA compile it for each release and the magic of automation will take care of it for you.

Also I'm mostly done with NPC export, only DR is bugging me a bit, there is no simple DR field to poll in GCA, so I will try to filter out the torso DR field to fill the single DR value for NPCs

Fezzik Buttercup
February 17th, 2022, 20:18
Danka!

RevenantBob
February 18th, 2022, 22:10
I made modification for NPCs to have rich text for Traits. This way I could bold labels and separate text a bit better for my bad eyes.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 18th, 2022, 23:50
Cool! It's hard to do this? If not, I will try to put in GURPS - Adjustments Extension

RevenantBob
February 19th, 2022, 03:43
Nope, just have to replace the XML element.

Fezzik Buttercup
February 26th, 2022, 23:52
The most complicated thing I've done in an extension is changing fonts in a language extension, so bear with my simplicity. It seems like it shouldn't take much to do the following, but I suspect there is a lot more to it than actually is:

Is there a simple way to automate the critical tables just by 'watching' the chat output. I've looked at the aduiooverseer, but it's really like Greek to me (at best I could understand Java, or Basic, but what is used in the extensions is a bit much for me :).

WoodmanX
March 3rd, 2022, 17:46
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pz12wm6wGpCMty4eTHr04bnivVpAq_0p/view?usp=sharing

A bit late, but here is the NPC Exporter, I was a bit busy travelling the land without reception aka germany.

Install instructions, extract the folder from the zip file into you plugins directory

..Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\plugins\GCA5FantasyGroundsExporterNPC\GCA5Fantas yGroundsExporterNPC.dll
..Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\plugins\GCA5FantasyGroundsExporterNPC\GCA5Fantas yGroundsExporterNPC.pdb

SceiccoNero
March 3rd, 2022, 19:54
Great!!!!

SceiccoNero
March 3rd, 2022, 20:08
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pz12wm6wGpCMty4eTHr04bnivVpAq_0p/view?usp=sharing

A bit late, but here is the NPC Exporter, I was a bit busy travelling the land without reception aka germany.

Install instructions, extract the folder from the zip file into you plugins directory

..Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\plugins\GCA5FantasyGroundsExporterNPC\GCA5Fantas yGroundsExporterNPC.dll
..Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\plugins\GCA5FantasyGroundsExporterNPC\GCA5Fantas yGroundsExporterNPC.pdb

How can i make it work? I followed your instructions but I can't see it working.

SceiccoNero
March 3rd, 2022, 21:38
@Ronnke, following the recent update in FGU, weight/encumbrance calculations on the Character sheet are no longer working. what do I have to do in order to have them back?