PDA

View Full Version : GURPS 4E Core Ruleset

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

ronnke
May 26th, 2017, 08:32
I agree that ctrl + apply would be better.

I'm planning to do some work on the ruleset this weekend. Are we all settled with Ctrl+Effect will apply the effect to the selected targets instead of Actor?

If you can think of a better interface/method, then please voice it.

Honken
May 26th, 2017, 20:48
My thought on this is to have it as similar with the D20 rulesets as possible... I am not sure how they handle this.

/H

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 26th, 2017, 21:02
I agree with Honken, but despite the regrets I will ask do you want to throw everything on the wish list or will it launch in stages?
Outa thing that I find interesting is to be able to have text formatting in those notes that we can create in the character sheet and more, to be able to stop the edition after writing, as we do in the texts generated in the history button.

ronnke
May 26th, 2017, 21:35
My thought on this is to have it as similar with the D20 rulesets as possible... I am not sure how they handle this.

/H

The d20 rulesets don't have that functionality.

ronnke
May 26th, 2017, 21:42
I agree with Honken, but despite the regrets I will ask do you want to throw everything on the wish list or will it launch in stages?
Outa thing that I find interesting is to be able to have text formatting in those notes that we can create in the character sheet and more, to be able to stop the edition after writing, as we do in the texts generated in the history button.

It will happen in stages. I dont get much time to work on the ruleset, so I will do what I have time for and then release it.

Moon Wizard
May 26th, 2017, 23:24
The D&D rulesets have a toggle button to define whether effect is applied to self or targets.

Also, at least one of them (4E), has an option where you can hold control and drag an effect. If you drop on a creature, it will apply the effects to the creatures who are targeted by the current actor, but make the effects only apply when interacting with the drag target. (I think it's referred to as third party targeting.) It's for effects like giving creatures a penalty to attack, but only against the caster.

Regards,
JPG

ronnke
May 26th, 2017, 23:49
The D&D rulesets have a toggle button to define whether effect is applied to self or targets.

Huh??? I tried this with the 5E ruleset when I investigated possible interfaces for the effects...I tried again just now and still can't drag an effect to the tracker (or apply to the current actor) and have that effect instead apply to the selected targets. I know it's possible to set that up from within the character sheet, but I must be missing a drag an drop option.

Moon Wizard
May 27th, 2017, 06:35
When a user double-clicks effect text or clicks an effect button on a PC sheet, the targeting option is checked to see whether to apply the effect to the PC (self) or to the targets of the PC (targets). Just add a spell with an effect to see an example in action.

When dragging an effect from a PC or NPC and the shift key is held, then the targeting option is used to determine the effect targets, but the drag target is used to define the "effect target" (i.e. the creature for which the effect is limited to).

See the scripts/manager_action_effect.lua script in the 3.5E ruleset at line 41 (for initiation) and line 142 (for resolution).

Regards,
JPG

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 27th, 2017, 13:42
Following the tip of the Moon Wizard I was able to do this in the GURPS rulest, I added the effects of the DnD 3.5 ... but I do not know where the function is, programming code that modifies the layout of the combat tracker to allow counting to decrease.19133

ronnke
May 27th, 2017, 16:32
Following the tip of the Moon Wizard I was able to do this in the GURPS rulest, I added the effects of the DnD 3.5 ... but I do not know where the function is, programming code that modifies the layout of the combat tracker to allow counting to decrease.19133

I've already implemented the effects targeting and timed effects. This will be available in the next few days. I need to get the pre-release version to dulux-oz to ensure nothing is broken with respect to his extensions. However, if you wanted to do your own modifications then you will find the combat tracker stuff in the "ct" folder.

seycyrus
May 27th, 2017, 19:05
Ronke,

I'm not sure I follow MoonWizard's explanation of the way things are handled in the 3.5 ruleset, but to me it seems that your method of just holding down ctrl while you click on an effect is the most straightforward. I hope that it will work for both PCs and NPCs?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 27th, 2017, 19:46
Ronnke can be sure that I'll wait for his update, I'll wait for something from who knows what he's doing :)

ronnke
May 27th, 2017, 22:47
Ronke,

I'm not sure I follow MoonWizard's explanation of the way things are handled in the 3.5 ruleset, but to me it seems that your method of just holding down ctrl while you click on an effect is the most straightforward. I hope that it will work for both PCs and NPCs?

I know what MoonWizard was explaining. It's not quite what we are after for GURPS, but it did help our implementation. Thanks MW. In the name of standardisation across rulesets, I've used the ****+Effect instead of Ctrl. Also, it works for PCs and NPCs.

seycyrus
May 28th, 2017, 02:58
Ronnke,

Do you anticipate that we will just be able to replace the current ruleset with the new one, or is this one of those deal where I should start exporting things in anticipation of having to start a new campaign?

ronnke
May 28th, 2017, 06:33
Ronnke,

Do you anticipate that we will just be able to replace the current ruleset with the new one, or is this one of those deal where I should start exporting things in anticipation of having to start a new campaign?

You will be able to replace the ruleset, no need to export or anything like that. Your campaign files will automatically update to the new release.

ronnke
June 1st, 2017, 20:41
A new minor update his been posted and also the new GURPS Theme created by Gigermann. I will release another update most likely early next week.

Effects
Effect <blank> | <blank> *The effect never expires.
Effect <blank> | <sec/min/hr/day> *The effect expires at the beginning of the character's next turn.
Effect <number> | <sec/min> *The effect expires at the end of the character's turn, after the specified duration.
Effect <number> | <hr/day> *The effect does not expire but the duration is noted in the combat tracker.

Note: The duration of an effect applied to the current/active character, is not tracked until the characters next turn. If the effect is applied to the non-active character, then the duration tracking begins immediately. If pressing SHIFT when an effect is applied, the effect is instead applied to the Actor's targets.

seycyrus
June 1st, 2017, 22:32
For the second case, I believe the syntax is <number> | <blank>, is it not?

And by the way, it looks awesome. Both the ruleset and the theme!

ronnke
June 1st, 2017, 23:30
For the second case, I believe the syntax is <number> | <blank>, is it not?

That would have the same result as: Effect <number> | <sec>.

seycyrus
June 2nd, 2017, 00:56
That would have the same result as: Effect <number> | <sec>.

Yes, I was mistaken.

Out of curiosity, what are the instances in which #2 would occur, as opposed to #3?

ronnke
June 2nd, 2017, 01:00
Yes, I was mistaken.

Out of curiosity, what are the instances in which #2 would occur, as opposed to #3?

See the bits in bold.

#2 Effect <blank> | <sec/min/hr/day> *The effect expires at the beginning of the character's next turn.
#3 Effect <number> | <sec/min> *The effect expires at the end of the character's turn, after the specified duration.

ronnke
June 2nd, 2017, 01:02
Say you roll a crit fail on attack and find yourself off balance (-2 defenses) until the beginning of your next turn, then you would use #2. Whereas if you are Stunned for 1 turn then you would use #3.

seycyrus
June 2nd, 2017, 01:12
Ronnke,

This is really helpful and will save me a lot of effort at my gaming sessions, thank you.

Have you ever heard the children's story, "If you give a mouse a cookie..." ?:rolleyes:

I was wondering, would is it possible in FG to allow players to apply some effects? I was thinking of things that are fairly innocuous, but could be used to save the GM a moment.

GM: "Flaarghan, what do you do?"
Flaarghan: "I begin to play Olivia's Lament" <player applies effect that lasts 10 seconds>

ronnke
June 2nd, 2017, 01:13
Players can apply effects, they just can't create their own.

seycyrus
June 2nd, 2017, 01:22
Players can apply effects, they just can't create their own.
Wow, my second mistake in less than an hour! I'll stay away from the keyboard for a bit.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 2nd, 2017, 01:24
Thanks for all you have done for this Ronnke ruleset ....
Effects with time ...
Text formatting at all, something I loved :)
And the wonderful download theme I know to be courtesy of Gigermann and it's too beautiful!

Gigermann
June 2nd, 2017, 01:37
For the record: Skin's not technically "done" yet, just presentable.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 2nd, 2017, 03:49
When the characters are imported from GCA to FG in the new version, the items are left blank ....

seycyrus
June 2nd, 2017, 03:54
Is it possible to just have an effect that simply increments each round? I'm thinking about Aiming, and keeping track of how long each of my PCs and/or NPCs has been aiming.

ronnke
June 2nd, 2017, 11:39
Is it possible to just have an effect that simply increments each round? I'm thinking about Aiming, and keeping track of how long each of my PCs and/or NPCs has been aiming.

In my testing I have simply been using things like the following:

Reload <3> | <SEC>
Aim 1 <blank> | <SEC>
Aim 2 <blank> | <SEC>
Aim 3 <blank> | <SEC>

On the PC/NPC turn, if they choose to Aim I apply the Aim 1 effect. That effect will expire at the beginning of the next turn. If they choose to aim further, then I will apply Aim 2, which again exires at the beginning of the next turn...and so on.

seycyrus
June 2nd, 2017, 12:30
In my testing I have simply been using things like the following ...

That works quite well for a limited amount of actors, but if the numbers start to get larger (10 goblins each starting an Aim maneuver on different rounds), things can still get quite hectic. For example, three Goblins have been aiming for 2 rounds, five of them for 1 round, and the rest for 3 rounds. The next turn, 3 of them decide to move and then restart their Aim ...

I was thinking that since the first case, "Effect <blank> | <blank> *The effect never expires.", has no output to the chat window, couldn't the current value of the increment be output to the screen? Something like,

[TURN] Prestor Dobranov - Aiming: 1 round
[TURN] Prestor Dobranov - Aiming: 2 rounds

This could also be useful in keeping track of how long an actor has had a short-term effect applied to them, even if it does not have a specified duration. I believe that in some cases, Will rolls to snap out of a Daze, get bonuses depending on how long the actor has been under the effect. Partial surprise also works in this way.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 2nd, 2017, 12:37
The new version of Ruleset presented the following problems:
1 - The current attributes:
Health points
Fatigue points
Move
They are not imported from the GCA for Fantasy Grounds
2 - Equipment:
The listing appears, but neither their name nor their weight appears, even with the item id disabled on Fantasy Grounds.

ronnke
June 2nd, 2017, 14:05
That works quite well for a limited amount of actors, but if the numbers start to get larger (10 goblins each starting an Aim maneuver on different rounds), things can still get quite hectic. For example, three Goblins have been aiming for 2 rounds, five of them for 1 round, and the rest for 3 rounds. The next turn, 3 of them decide to move and then restart their Aim ...

Try it. It's not inconvenient.

I was thinking that since the first case, "Effect <blank> | <blank> *The effect never expires.", has no output to the chat window, couldn't the current value of the increment be output to the screen? Something like,

Enable "Show Effects", and then the effect does display in the chat. This makes is easier.

This could also be useful in keeping track of how long an actor has had a short-term effect applied to them, even if it does not have a specified duration. I believe that in some cases, Will rolls to snap out of a Daze, get bonuses depending on how long the actor has been under the effect. Partial surprise also works in this way.

I'll try work something out for the next release.

ronnke
June 2nd, 2017, 16:10
I've pushed the v3.0.7 release to fix the import bug.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 2nd, 2017, 18:15
Thanks Ronnke for his agility in fixing the problem
Some may call me until I think that I'm spoiling for the charges and for looking for errors in the ruleset ... but I just say that somehow I'm the quality control :)

ronnke
June 3rd, 2017, 03:04
Try it. It's not inconvenient.

Enable "Show Effects", and then the effect does display in the chat. This makes is easier.

I'll try work something out for the next release.

I've added and tested a new effect type:

Effect <number/blank> | <SEC+> *The effect will increment the duration at the end of the Actors turn.

This will be available in the next release, out most likely during the week.

seycyrus
June 3rd, 2017, 14:28

Effect <number/blank> | <SEC+> *The effect will increment the duration at the end of the Actors turn.

This will be available in the next release, out most likely during the week.

Thank you sir!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 4th, 2017, 23:49
Just curious, NPCs can roll relative skill

ronnke
June 5th, 2017, 00:37
Just curious, NPCs can roll relative skill

Nope. Their abilities are summised to a single level, no relative skill information exists for NPCs.

ronnke
June 5th, 2017, 00:41
The GURPS Core Theme (skin) by Gigermann has been updated to fix a minor formatting issue.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 5th, 2017, 01:30
Sorry for the curiosity and lack of attention, but what was changed or better adjusted in the theme?

ronnke
June 5th, 2017, 01:47
Sorry for the curiosity and lack of attention, but what was changed or better adjusted in the theme?
The borders in the combat tracker for players, they were not lining up.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 5th, 2017, 02:58
In the layout of Combat Tracker when a faction is not defined and the character is not selected, the image is thus ...

The problem only happens on the GM screen.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 5th, 2017, 05:19
I do not know if it would be possible to insert in the combat tracker the shield life points and do the same thing that it does when damage is dragged to the hit points in the tracker and it automatically updates on the character sheet.
I think this will make life easier for everyone, especially when there are a lot of players and even shielded NPCs.
I've been able to insert both the player's and NPC's sheets, but my limited knowledge prevents me from changing Combat Tracker.

ronnke
June 5th, 2017, 05:32
The only way to add Shield HP to the tracker is to add it to the character sheet like you have done, but I don't really know if that's an option commonly enough used to include as part of the ruleset. It really only relates to fantasy genres and then only to those who track shield damage. Shield damage can just as easily be tracked in notes within the protection section of the character sheet. Is it really necessary to include it into the tracker?

HalC
June 5th, 2017, 05:39
Just out of curiosity, how does one get a "skin" for FG2? mine doesn't look like that screen shot I saw from a few posts upstream! Looks nice actually.

ronnke
June 5th, 2017, 05:43
Just out of curiosity, how does one get a "skin" for FG2? mine doesn't look like that screen shot I saw from a few posts upstream! Looks nice actually.

Download the skin and put it into the "Fantasy Grounds\extensions\" folder. When youl oad your campaign, you will be able to select the GURPSCore theme from the extension list.

HalC
June 5th, 2017, 07:32
Download the skin and put it into the "Fantasy Grounds\extensions\" folder. When youl oad your campaign, you will be able to select the GURPSCore theme from the extension list.

So where is the skin file?

ronnke
June 5th, 2017, 07:49
So where is the skin file?

In the first post of this thread.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 5th, 2017, 11:48
Ronnke is not something really necessary, but it is practical considering that most of the adventures are medieval fantasy or futuristic space, where both present the possibility of the characters have shields, I know I could manage this with note, but it is that in my case I have a table with 6 players and everyone has a shield ... it's a very tiring thing and it would be one less window to open, and I can not let them take care of it, because the least they should do is to know how to use the His character and they do not do it and there's another big problem that I'm not proud of at all ... our famous Brazilian way ....

ronnke
June 5th, 2017, 12:07
I will put it on the wishlist, but there are other things I want to complete first.

However, were I you, I would really encourage your players to learn how to maintain their own characters. This makes the job of GM less stressful and really it is not much to ask of a player.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 5th, 2017, 12:46
With trial and error I was able to insert the HP Shield into the tracker and it adds the HP Character Shield.
But he added this empty "icon" to the actor and I need to figure out where and how I can resize this new field created.
I believe that if I modify the "damage" script I can manage it as a cHP when I apply the damage.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 5th, 2017, 13:15
Now I just need to figure out how to get this one that appeared on Combat Tracker ....

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 5th, 2017, 13:35
I was able to adjust and disappear with the field over now only need to make it work as Current HP.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 5th, 2017, 13:45
Now only remains to know which file is responsible for adjusting the damage compared to Current HP :)

Gigermann
June 5th, 2017, 23:12
In the layout of Combat Tracker when a faction is not defined and the character is not selected, the image is thus ...

The problem only happens on the GM screen.

Pushed fix

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 6th, 2017, 00:10
Thanks Gigermann

HalC
June 8th, 2017, 01:36
Hi All,
I figure I have to be doing something wrong. :(

I'm using the latest in the GURPS.PAK file, and I have the latest Skin and all that fun stuff. I've not tried to load characters just yet, because I keep banging my head against this one issue...

When I load the older version of GURPS that I had been using, I can import the GURPS_TABLES.MOD file without any issue. When I use the newest incarnation of the GURPS files, it won't let me see the GURPS_TABLES.mod - and when I did an export to module, my older version of GURPS can see it, but not the newer one. So - what am I doing wrong?

thanks guys!

ronnke
June 8th, 2017, 01:40
The original version of the GURPS ruleset is not compatible with the new Core version of the ruleset.

HalC
June 8th, 2017, 01:45
The original version of the GURPS ruleset is not compatible with the new Core version of the ruleset.

So anything that worked with 3.0.5 will not work with 3.0.7? No real biggie in that sense, because I can now always simply build the tables that I need now (now that I've learned how to!). Just seems odd that it won't see it, as I thought that was a function of the software itself, not the GURPS core rules. Thanks for letting me know, I assumed I was having a brain fart. ;)

ronnke
June 8th, 2017, 01:48
So anything that worked with 3.0.5 will not work with 3.0.7? No real biggie in that sense, because I can now always simply build the tables that I need now (now that I've learned how to!). Just seems odd that it won't see it, as I thought that was a function of the software itself, not the GURPS core rules. Thanks for letting me know, I assumed I was having a brain fart. ;)

Well if you are talking about 3.0.5, then that is the Core version of the ruleset and as such your tables should be compatible. Perhaps attach you tables mod and I can have a look ata it.

HalC
June 8th, 2017, 01:57
It was the one you sent me a long time back. 3.0.5 can see it, but 3.0.7 can't for some odd reason. when I exported everything I had (that included the GURPS_TABLES.mod file) into a file I called Chrome.mod (was my GURPS CYBERPUNK stuff), 3.0.5 can see the exported file easily. 3.0.7 can't. Hopefully, I attached the file properly to this post...

ronnke
June 8th, 2017, 03:12
It was the one you sent me a long time back. 3.0.5 can see it, but 3.0.7 can't for some odd reason. when I exported everything I had (that included the GURPS_TABLES.mod file) into a file I called Chrome.mod (was my GURPS CYBERPUNK stuff), 3.0.5 can see the exported file easily. 3.0.7 can't. Hopefully, I attached the file properly to this post...

I fixed the mod, so it should now work.

HalC
June 8th, 2017, 05:24
Still doesn't like it for some odd reason. I put it in the modules folder in my Fantasy Grounds II folder, and just to be safe, put it in with the rules sets and utilities - each time, it wouldn't see it after I shut down the main program and restarted it. I've attached a screen shot showing the start up of the program in case I'm doing something wrong (I recall the last time, my troubles were due to unzipping the PAK file and the updates weren't taking...)

Worst comes to worst, I'll simply redo the tables in the new environment and if I export that, and then try to import it into a "new" campaign - that should be visible. If it isn't? Chances are good there's a glitch somewhere.

Will let you know in about 12 hours give or take...

ronnke
June 8th, 2017, 09:48
Are you enabling the module in the "Library" section of FG?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 8th, 2017, 13:42
I downloaded this module, both versions and both worked normally
I had done one in the pt-br version, but I did not put firearm malfunction and nor critical error for other types of spells ...
I also put it to randomly roll the affected limb ...

Andraax
June 8th, 2017, 13:59
Both versions work for me as well.

HalC
June 8th, 2017, 14:23
Are you enabling the module in the "Library" section of FG?

That I am. What I'm doing is creating new campaigns in each instance for versions 3.0.5 and 3.0.7. When I open up the .5 version, I can see the GURPS_Tables module. When I do the exact same thing after creating a new campaign for version .7 - it doesn't show up as an option to be chosen (and thus seems invisible to version .7).

As you can see with the screen shots - the version .5 will show a total of 5 modules now, two of which are the standard battlemaps and calendar mods, the next two of GURPS Tables (the older and newer versions) and the Chrome that I created myself. So in the one instance, version .7 only shows two, but in verison .5, we see five modules.

The path for my folders are:

C:\Users\Hal\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

As best as I can figure, it isn't a path issue - since version .5 shouldn't work if it were a path issue. Maybe it is something to do with my operating system of windows 7?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 8th, 2017, 14:23
This is the only problem that I do not know ... of the module ....

ronnke
June 8th, 2017, 14:31
The path for my folders are:

C:\Users\Hal\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

I'm unable to reproduce your problem. It's not going to be an issue Windows 7 or anything like that. There is probably a simple step that is being missed.

Are you placing the mod file into the modules folder?

C:\Users\Hal\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\modules\

Andraax
June 8th, 2017, 14:34
Might have something to do with CoreRPG v3.2.2.

Edit: I'm running CoreRPG v3.3.0 which seems to be the version on all three channels. Try updating this (you may have an old unpacked version in your rulesets folder).

Trenloe
June 8th, 2017, 15:43
Sounds like you either:
1) Haven't updated Fantasy Grounds in a long time.
2) Have Unzipped ruleset files (and perhaps more) in your FG data directories.
3) Have two installs of Fantasy Grounds on your computer.

This thread for has various checks to carry out and solutions to the most common issues.

HalC
June 8th, 2017, 22:02
Might have something to do with CoreRPG v3.2.2.

Edit: I'm running CoreRPG v3.3.0 which seems to be the version on all three channels. Try updating this (you may have an old unpacked version in your rulesets folder).

Ok, I found that my password had changed, which interfered with my updating. When I fixed it, updated, it went to 3.3.0. Which is good. So, what ever the issue is, it has to be with my machine, because I'm still having the problem of not being able to see the GURPS Tables modules. I've included a screen shot of the rulesets folder, as well as one with the modules folder.

I remember that we had the issue where I had unzipped the core rules - which caused problems, so I removed it entirely, and the only things in the rulesets folder are the pak files only.

when I download them into my downloads area, duplicate file names get differenced by a (NN) where NN is a number. That's why you see a GURPS (4) and a GURPS (5) as well as GURPS 4e (the GURPS 4e version is 3.0.5) Eventually, I'll clean them out. The "older" paks are the ones I used to create campaigns, but eventually, as mentioned, they will get cleaned out. :)

I did an experiment. I deleted both the mod files for GURPS_TABLES and GURPS-4e-TABLES, opened up the 3.0.5 version after deleting the files, and found I couldn't see them (as expected). Then I opened up the 3.0.7 version, and could not see them (as expected). Then, I recopied the files back into the mods folder, opened up the 3.0.7 version, did not see the files, closed the program, opened up the 3.0.5 version, and they could see the modules just fine.

Does one of the XML files have a path that specifies where the program is supposed to look for Mods files? Perhaps that is what I need to verify is correct? I did compare the XML files (some of them) between the 3.0.5 campaigns, and the 3.0.7 campaigns, and found that in one file, what used to have only ONE line in it, it now has like five in it. I believe it is the campaign registry xml file that I was looking at:

(for the 3.0.5 version)

["sidebar"] = "charsheet,note,image,table,story,quest,npc,battle, item,treasureparcel",

(for the 3.0.7 version)
["OptREVL"] = "off",
["sidebar"] = "charsheet,note,image,table,story,quest,npc,battle, item,treasureparcel",
["OptSHPC"] = "detailed",
["OptDDCL"] = "off",

So maybe it is that kind of thing that is making my version hiccup perhaps?

Andraax
June 8th, 2017, 22:08
Those Opt things are various settings for options.

So, when you fire up the GURPS ruleset, what versions are reported for CoreRPG?

And you can see / edit the paths to the Fantasy Grounds files (where your modules, rulesets, extensions, etc folders should all be) when you go to the settings window. "Data Directory"

HalC
June 8th, 2017, 22:11
Those Opt things are various settings for options.

So, when you fire up the GURPS ruleset, what versions are reported for CoreRPG?

And you can see / edit the paths to the Fantasy Grounds files (where your modules, rulesets, extensions, etc folders should all be) when you go to the settings window.

It comes up now as 3.3.0 for the core rpg rules. That stays the same whether I pull up GURPS 3.0.5 or GURPS 3.07.

Andraax
June 8th, 2017, 22:27
This is what I'm seeing (only other thing I can suggest is to re-download the GURPS ruleset):

HalC
June 9th, 2017, 00:15
This is what I'm seeing (only other thing I can suggest is to re-download the GURPS ruleset):

That is why, in my screen shot of the directory for rules set, you will see GURPS (4) and GURPS (5) as two separate files. Both 4 and 5 are the same file, downloaded at two different times within the same day when it was announced that version 3.0.7 was the latest to fix issues present in 3.0.6 (I never got to download version 3.0.6 actually). So, it happens when I install a new version of the file repeatedly (that is why I had hoped that the solution was something within the file itself, but I'm the odd man out in that my machine is the only one doing it. Your's works fine, as do the others it seems. So - what ever is causing this, seems to be related to either how my machine is set up (perhaps a registry issue) or perhaps I have a file that is corrupted (but why does 3.0.5 always work at being able to see the .mod files?).

That is why I'm wondering if there is an XML entry that has to read a specific way for them to see the mod files related to GURPS. Ah well, it isn't worth spending too much time trouble shooting - as this is unpaid work you're doing here... (I do appreciate your efforts though!!!)

ronnke
June 9th, 2017, 00:15
Hal, hit me up on Discord and we can try nut this out there.

seycyrus
June 12th, 2017, 02:27

Effect <number/blank> | <SEC+> *The effect will increment the duration at the end of the Actors turn. ...

Ronnke, did you push this yet? Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

ronnke
June 12th, 2017, 02:30
No, I have not pushed it. I was going to wait until the next release, but I've been delayed with that. So I will push a v3.0.7a, with just that fix.

ronnke
June 12th, 2017, 02:36
v3.0.7a is up. It only adds the SEC+ to the effects.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 12th, 2017, 14:47
Just a matter of curiosity, where could I use the SEC + that was implemented?

seycyrus
June 13th, 2017, 02:48
Just a matter of curiosity, where could I use the SEC + that was implemented?

I plan on using it to keep track of how many turns an actor is aiming, without having to actively increment it each round. There are also other instances where keeping track of how long an "effect" has been applied is useful. Recovering from partial surprise (B393) is one instance I can think of off the top of my head. I think there are a few others.

Trenloe
June 13th, 2017, 03:32
you will see GURPS (4) and GURPS (5) as two separate files.
FG uses the .pak filename as the ruleset name. If you're creating a new campaign and selecting "GURPS (4)" or "GURPS (5)" as the ruleset then you will not see any of the modules created for GURPS as these will only be openable in a campaign with a ruleset filename of "GURPS.pak".

Delete all GURPS.pak files, including the (4) and (5) files. Run an update and make sure you just have "GURPS.pak". Create a new campaign with this ruleset and see if the modules are present.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 13th, 2017, 04:42
I did so with counting decrement
Watch (Weapon) - 1 SEC
Aim (Turn 1) - 2 SEC
Aim (Turn 2) - 3 SEC
Aim (Turn 3) - 4 SEC

Weapon Aim Bonus
+1 Aim
+2 Aim
+3 Aim

I drag the number of turns the character is going to be aiming and then with each passing turn I add the bonus modifier by aiming

seycyrus
June 14th, 2017, 03:26
I drag the number of turns the character is going to be aiming and then with each passing turn I add the bonus modifier by aiming

I believe that is what Ronnke does. But for me it's a lot easier to just have it increment automatically, when I have let's say 10 goblins aiming their bows, each one at a different stage of aiming. Dragging and dropping just takes that 5 extra seconds (x 10) that I would prefer to not have to spend.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 12th, 2017, 15:13
Since it's been a while since I've been here asking nothing, but how can I lose my custom ...
Any forecast of when it leaves some update with one of those beautiful improvements of the wish list?

ronnke
July 13th, 2017, 01:16
Unfortunately, no timeframe. I'm busy with other things at the moment to development is slow. There might be a new release ready before the end of the month.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 27th, 2017, 17:27
I've heard a lot of comments from some GURPS players that they no longer use GURPS Character Assistant (GCA) but rather the GURPS Character Sheet (GCS) and then they even asked me if I could import characters created in GCS, here I am. Ask if there will ever be such a possibility.

ronnke
July 27th, 2017, 17:43
I've never looked at the GCS export capabilities, but I don't imagine it would be too difficult, provided GCS allows you to create custom export scripts.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 27th, 2017, 18:17
Ronnke I also never used the GCS, I prefer the GCA: D

seycyrus
July 28th, 2017, 03:06
I use GCA and think it's a pretty complete program. Any idea why people would use GCA?

TheMookNet
July 28th, 2017, 06:37
I use GCA and think it's a pretty complete program. Any idea why people would use GCA?
I'm assuming you meant "Any idea why people would use GCS," and the answer I usually hear is "Because it's free." (i.e., 'Why use Photoshop when GIMP is free?')

I personally much prefer GCA, especially for the ability to use the amazing Phoenix Character Sheet (https://www.motoslave.net/thom/gca/phoenix/), and having a way to import GCA characters directly to FG was a huge selling point for me.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 28th, 2017, 15:49
Seycyrus and TheMookNet, unfortunately the biggest problem we have (Brazilians) is that we are not satisfied with anything, we only complain about values, languages and the like, we do not try hard to learn ...
Here I am a lover of GURPS I decided and I dedicated myself to translate the layout, the scrolls, the spreadsheets ....
Here I am concerned with translating the GCA spreadsheet and export, but that is not enough, I have to translate the file with the basic module, of course this effort is for those who still use GCA instead of GCS and majority argument Is that it is free, taking away MacOS users whose GCA does not work at 100%.
Then I like GURPS lover, I question, I ask, I ask ... because I want everything to be perfect: D
Sorry for the outburst, you are wonderful ... but I am annoyed by the bad will of most Brazilians ... and I can say it with conviction because I am a: D
Success!

seycyrus
July 29th, 2017, 03:14
I'm assuming you meant "Any idea why people would use GCS," and the answer I usually hear is "Because it's free." (i.e., 'Why use Photoshop when GIMP is free?')

I personally much prefer GCA, especially for the ability to use the amazing Phoenix Character Sheet (https://www.motoslave.net/thom/gca/phoenix/), and having a way to import GCA characters directly to FG was a huge selling point for me.

Yes I meant, "why do people use GCS", thanks for clarifying. Like you, the GCA-FG integration was a massive draw which convinced me to lay down my money for both products. I only wish there was more integration on SJGs part.

ronnke
July 30th, 2017, 10:00
GCS also works on a Mac, that's another reason for people using it. Hopefully the new (in development) GCA will address that. I haven't really been following the development so I can say if there is a plan for better cross platform integration.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 31st, 2017, 16:25
I have this error when use effect...no extension activated..

ronnke
July 31st, 2017, 21:40
I have this error when use effect...no extension activated..

I can't reproduce the error. Can you give me step by step instructions on how you produce the error.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 31st, 2017, 22:18
https://youtu.be/TOp8uUY7jvc

seycyrus
July 31st, 2017, 22:57
https://youtu.be/TOp8uUY7jvc

I cannot reproduce the error either. At first I thought it might be because there were not any linked tokens on a map. So I threw a PC and an NPC into the CT, ad applied an effect to each of them without any problem.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 31st, 2017, 23:20
The version is test 3.3.2, not live 3.3.1

Trenloe
July 31st, 2017, 23:29
The version is test 3.3.2, not live 3.3.1
That's an important piece of information to include when reporting issues.

Andraax
July 31st, 2017, 23:54
There were changes to the effects system in CoreRPG for 3.3.2. Those changes probably have not been integrated into the current release of the GURPS ruleset.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 1st, 2017, 00:02
I forgot this great little detail of great importance :(

ronnke
August 1st, 2017, 01:59
I forgot this great little detail of great importance :(

Yeah, that detail was kinda important. :P

I will make the required changes so the GURPS ruleset is ready for the release of 3.2.2.

Andraax
August 1st, 2017, 13:35
I will make the required changes so the GURPS ruleset is ready for the release of 3.2.2.

Why don't you spend your time on 3.3.2 instead? :-)

ronnke
August 1st, 2017, 14:11
Why don't you spend your time on 3.3.2 instead? :-)

:P Yeah probably a good idea. :)

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 2nd, 2017, 14:47
I was seeing that in the Call of Cthulhu NPC's sheet you have to insert a picture of the character in the notes, would it be difficult to do that in the GURPS ruleset.
Of course this is not something of extreme relevance or importance, just a curiosity ....

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2017, 19:25
I was seeing that in the Call of Cthulhu NPC's sheet you have to insert a picture of the character in the notes...
As a FYI to developers - the CoC ruleset uses tokens for this - which are either pre-populated or the GM can drag a token to the Appearance tab of the NPC.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 2nd, 2017, 20:56
Yes, I know ... I did this with some NPCs in CoC and if I'm not mistaken, Traveler's Ruleset does that too ...

Exalted
August 15th, 2017, 23:06
Just wanted to show some appreciation for the author and everyone that contributed to this extension. Thanks a bunch!

ronnke
August 16th, 2017, 01:51
Just wanted to show some appreciation for the author and everyone that contributed to this extension. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks. I'm glad you find it useful. :)

Exalted
August 19th, 2017, 19:12
Hey Ronnke, jus wondering - though this is more a FG in general doubt than a GURPS ruleset one: is it possible to have a persistent "universal" search bar on the interface? One that aggregates results from everything on the program?

seycyrus
August 20th, 2017, 01:24
Hey Ronnke, jus wondering - though this is more a FG in general doubt than a GURPS ruleset one: is it possible to have a persistent "universal" search bar on the interface? One that aggregates results from everything on the program?

I'm not ronnke of course, but I don't understand your question. Could you provide an example that might help me (and perhaps Ronnke) understand?

ronnke
August 20th, 2017, 02:07

In theory, yes, it should be possible. That, however, is a feature probably better included in FG as a whole.

TheMookNet
August 20th, 2017, 18:34
Echoing the thanks, Ronnke, this ruleset really is excellent for GURPS GMs on FG. The only problem is, I find myself firing it up and tinkering around when I'm supposed to be doing actual prep for face-to-face convention games. Can you add an option to tell me to knock it off and be more productive? :)

Exalted
August 20th, 2017, 18:47
I'm not ronnke of course, but I don't understand your question. Could you provide an example that might help me (and perhaps Ronnke) understand?

Absolutely. Imagine, if you will, there was a "search bar", somewhere around the interface (like the bottom right, for example). Typing on it, it would display in a little box above with results in "real-time", similarly how the start menu search function works in Win 10, or how the Google search bar works in Google.com. So if I typed "John", it would display up "John Smith (NPC)", "John's House (Image)", "Ben Smith (NPC)" (cause it would have "John's father" in it's NPC sheet somewhere). Something like that.

In theory, yes, it should be possible. That, however, is a feature probably better included in FG as a whole.
Agreed. Thanks for the reply, I'll suggest this somewhere in the general forum section!

ronnke
August 21st, 2017, 01:51
Echoing the thanks, Ronnke, this ruleset really is excellent for GURPS GMs on FG. The only problem is, I find myself firing it up and tinkering around when I'm supposed to be doing actual prep for face-to-face convention games. Can you add an option to tell me to knock it off and be more productive? :)

Thanks! As for that feature request, sure, here you go. ;)

TheMookNet
August 21st, 2017, 03:26
Thanks! As for that feature request, sure, here you go. ;)
HA! Perfect, thanks. :p

ronnke
September 13th, 2017, 02:19
Gigermann has done some updates to the GURPS Theme, download it from the link in the original post.

HalC
September 13th, 2017, 02:29
Gigermann has done some updates to the GURPS Theme, download it from the link in the original post.

So - what's new with it that is different from the older version?

ronnke
September 13th, 2017, 02:37
So - what's new with it that is different from the older version?

Updated some graphics and styling. Also the decal image is switchable (via GM Options) from a GURPS logo to a Dungeon Fantasy logo.

HalC
September 13th, 2017, 02:50
Nice. Just tried it out.

Speaking of trying it out...

I demo'd your work for another potential FG2 buyer. He was GREATLY impressed at what you had done and intends to buy FG2 soon. I did show him one thing saying "by the by, be aware that players can change information on a character sheet." When he saw that, he wasn't too happy with it (not enough to run away from FG2 obviously). I told him not to worry about it because if someone is suspected of cheating, the GM can easily reload a previous version of the character xml file (with a new name no less) and compare them side by side. But just like you can lock notes and story etc - it is a shame that character sheets can't be locked by the GM so as to do two things:

Keep oopsies from happening where a player clicked on a skill line name then thought they were in the chat box when they type stuff and hit return.

Keep the character sheets more "honest".

Right now, I'm starting to learn to use the combat minder - and it seems nice in some ways. I noted that when I used the FG2 maps with the square tiles built into the map itself, it became difficult to superimpose the hex grid over it. I'm going to have to learn to use Campaign Cartographer 3 to build some maps without the tile effect, so that I can superimpose hexes on it. I'm not sure if by putting hexes on the map to begin with, will permit me to place hexes from FG2 in precisely the same hex locations as the mapping software does. I'm going to have to scour YOUTUBE for more advice on that topic. Someday, I will run FG2 with all of its bells and whistles. I've been learning to set up encounters via FG2, and set up NPCs for FG2 and all that fun stuff. Even been working on creating "items" and the like for what NPC's have in their pockets or cars or what have you. Someday, I'll even figure out how to create an interactive "net run" from GURPS CYBERPUNK for use with FG2 (already did a trial run - what you do is create in the spells area, each software that your deck runs - with a skill level and all that fun stuff. My first test was using the newer GURPS 4e cyberdecking rules from PYRAMID. Turns out, neither of us liked it that much. :(

Well, onwards and forwards and all that stuff. Each day goes by and I add a little more in the way of Tables and stuff for my GURPS CHROME NIGHTS campaign, set in Night City. It keeps me off the streets and away from the booze at the bars. Cheaper too. ;)

Gigermann
September 13th, 2017, 14:59
Maybe a better (or just different) solution to locking character sheets is a "require GM approval" option.

Honken
September 13th, 2017, 21:22
I have always felt that if you feel that you need to restrict what your players can edit on their character sheet, then you either should have a talk with the group, talking about "what we want out of our game", or maybe you should find another group/player. I mean in the end, how do you do it at a real table, with "dead tree" character sheets?

As for deleting a skill/advantage/disad, i feel it is not as easy as the old ruleset. Maybe away to lock the skill list/advantage list/disad list on the player side.

/H

paladiusdarkhelm
September 17th, 2017, 16:22
I saw the post in response to a question about if the languages worked from January (on page 15; sorry I can't get forum quotes to work). I can't figure out how to get languages (matched to everyone's sheets) to work in my GURPS game. If others have this working, is there any way you can help me get it working?

Details: When I went to Languages under options, none were there by default; it was just blank. I tried this with just Ronnke's GURPS4e ruleset, as well as with adding the GURPS_4E_Languages.ext that I found - I think this is from an older GURPS rulset though, since I can't select this extension in the Campaign Details section when loading a game where you can enable extensions compatible with a ruleset. In either case, no fonts appear in the drop-downs. Nonetheless, I added the languages that match to everyone's sheet, in case that would make the drop-downs show. They didn't.

I also tested some of these in the chat bubble to see if it'd still only let those that have the language understand what was typed. Even without the font/symbol text to go with it, I at least wanted to see if it would indicate in the chat who it was that understood. It doesn't appear to do this as well.20530

Gigermann
September 18th, 2017, 14:46
I saw the post in response to a question about if the languages worked from January (on page 15; sorry I can't get forum quotes to work). I can't figure out how to get languages (matched to everyone's sheets) to work in my GURPS game. If others have this working, is there any way you can help me get it working?

Details: When I went to Languages under options, none were there by default; it was just blank. I tried this with just Ronnke's GURPS4e ruleset, as well as with adding the GURPS_4E_Languages.ext that I found - I think this is from an older GURPS rulset though, since I can't select this extension in the Campaign Details section when loading a game where you can enable extensions compatible with a ruleset. In either case, no fonts appear in the drop-downs. Nonetheless, I added the languages that match to everyone's sheet, in case that would make the drop-downs show. They didn't.

I also tested some of these in the chat bubble to see if it'd still only let those that have the language understand what was typed. Even without the font/symbol text to go with it, I at least wanted to see if it would indicate in the chat who it was that understood. It doesn't appear to do this as well.20530

The dropdown after the language name where you added them is where you select the font to display—that's what you're missing. I have successfully gotten my old Banestorm language extension to work, and it does scramble the text now (but, to my surprise, not for the originator). Generally, if you just want to scramble the text without a different font, you just include the chat font as one of the options.

Banestorm Languages Ext (https://www.drlgraphics.com/downloads/GURPS_4E%20Languages%20Banestorm.ext )

paladiusdarkhelm
September 18th, 2017, 20:38
Thank you Gigermann. I'll try and see if the fonts show up in the dropdown when I try the extension of yours. Currently, when I select the dropdowns next to the languages I've added, the dropdowns are blank with nothing selectable in them like there would be if I loaded a 5e game for instance.

Gigermann
September 18th, 2017, 22:00
Currently, when I select the dropdowns next to the languages I've added, the dropdowns are blank with nothing selectable in them like there would be if I loaded a 5e game for instance.Was that an older extension? I think I observed the "blank list" behavior before I updated my extension to the current scripting.

paladiusdarkhelm
September 18th, 2017, 23:55
Was that an older extension? I think I observed the "blank list" behavior before I updated my extension to the current scripting.

Yeah, I think I was trying to use an older extension, since it wouldn't even show up to be selected on the extension list when the GURPS ruleset is selected.

I could only test Gigermann's extension as GM thus far, but by using it, I can at least see the fonts changing as I alternate the language using the GM chat drop down!

I'll test with some players tonight to see if the application now lists in the chat which players can "Understand" what's typed.

Gigermann
September 19th, 2017, 00:36
Yeah, I think I was trying to use an older extension, since it wouldn't even show up to be selected on the extension list when the GURPS ruleset is selected.This is because the (properly-named) GURPS extension isn't listed as a valid ruleset in the extension.xml file. It's a pretty simple fix.

Trenloe
September 19th, 2017, 13:53
Regarding language extensions - the information in the extension (language name and font mapping) is only read when the campaign is first created. So you have to remember to include the extension when you first create the campaign. If you add the extension after the campaign has been created, then you won't see the language names added to the language list, but you will have the new fonts available so you can manually create what you need).

A work around, is mentioned in the first post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26775-Expanded-Fantasy-Language-Fonts-(FG-v3-1-3-)

HalC
September 22nd, 2017, 02:36
I just downloaded the new version for FG2, and one of the things that popped up was a "show on start up" kind of thing. Options was the last thing in the list, and when I saw languages, It let me add them one at a time such that before, languages was a blank list, but now, I have four languages that I added to a campaign after the fact. So, there is a solution that is easy enough I think...

HalC
September 22nd, 2017, 02:40
Adding a bit more information, now that I've opened up the "options" button (the little gear symbol), it shows up like it did before, but this time, there are two buttons at the bottom, one says "set up" on the right bottom, and the other says "Languages" on the left bottom. If your language list is empty, you can "add" a language like you add anything in FG2 (like table entries, notes, etc). I was able to add Chinese, Farsi, English, and French from this, and now it shows up in my list of languages. It also says "understood by" in the chat window.

Addenda: Just for giggles, I loaded a character via GURPS CHARACTER ASSISTANT into FG2 using the export function - did it twice actually. The first time was to load the character as a character, and did an importchar command to bring it in. The second however, I imported as an NPC. I made certain to use different file names for the same character as an xml file (one was named Adam Kimbal.gc4.xml and the other was named adam kimbal.xml (as the NPC format).

What was interesting was this:

The character sheet had "languages" listed (which was English and French) but the NPC didn't. It appears that the NPC language table doesn't list. So, when I had the Character (I was running two instances of FG2, one in GM mode, the other in player mode) speak in French while in player mode, it stated in the GM window Adam Kimbal [French] and what the player said in plain English. THis way, I know that he's using a different language. When I went back to GM window, and selected Farsi as a language, and typed in "can you understand this now?" - all the player side saw, because the character didn't have Farsi in his languages list, "lrSE4 CRz iF5yau8SC8MV oGdHn5 Ip9?"

So it works, but the one thing that the NPC export doesn't show, is the languages that the NPC starts with. No place to show it in the NPC page I think.

Just an FYI. :)

paladiusdarkhelm
September 22nd, 2017, 03:15
Regarding language extensions - the information in the extension (language name and font mapping) is only read when the campaign is first created. So you have to remember to include the extension when you first create the campaign. If you add the extension after the campaign has been created, then you won't see the language names added to the language list, but you will have the new fonts available so you can manually create what you need).

A work around, is mentioned in the first post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26775-Expanded-Fantasy-Language-Fonts-(FG-v3-1-3-)

Between this and what Gigermann already shared with me, I was able to take some time and piece together the extras into the xml so that I could add 28 or so different fonts to go along with the many fantasy languages in my campaign. I also confirmed each PC could only understand the languages that matched on their sheets. Super!

Thank you much to both Trenloe and Gigermann!

TheMookNet
September 22nd, 2017, 16:51
Apart from the language extension (which I don't use), has anyone had issues with update 3.3.2 and the GURPS Ruleset? I'm trying to decide whether I should update or wait.

HalC
September 22nd, 2017, 16:58
Apart from the language extension (which I don't use), has anyone had issues with update 3.3.2 and the GURPS Ruleset? I'm trying to decide whether I should update or wait.

I updated seemingly without issue on the SECOND attempt. The first attempt to update resulted in the program crashing entirely - it went black screen and then disappeared. The second attempt to update resulted in a successful take. I will put it through its paces tonight, because another user tried the same thing, and the same results largely - failed on first, seemed to have worked on second...

Gigermann
September 22nd, 2017, 18:43
We'll know for certain tomorrow, but I updated and ran through one of my test campaigns, and I didn't experience any immediate issues

paladiusdarkhelm
September 22nd, 2017, 18:46

I had character portraits disappear (only thing I've noticed thus far and easily re-added).

TheMookNet
September 23rd, 2017, 14:21
Thanks, Folks. Updated fine the first time (no second attempt needed). Didn't have character portraits assigned yet, so not sure if I would have lost them. I do like that the core program now remembers window positions, but I preferred the way the previous extension also saved the windows' Opened/Closed state (so when the program started, everything you had left Open was still Open).

A minor quibble, though. Back to the GURPSin'!

Gigermann
September 24th, 2017, 05:13
We played tonight, and we had a lot of errors thrown revolving around images/tokens (we think), before and after we switched on the Enhanced Images extension. There were a few instances of tokens disappearing from some clients when moved or resized (we expect the disappearances to be related to the Enhanced Images)—the game was playable, though, otherwise. To be fair, it's an old campaign, so there may be some bad data. Might be worthwhile to clear the cache if you're having issues.

HalC
September 24th, 2017, 05:25
We experienced an unexpected problem tonight as well. Although we weren't Gaming per se, but testing some things - when the player added a "note" - he could see it he could write to it, but when he closed the note out - he couldn't see the note he made. I had him exit and try to come back in, hoping it would clear things, and lo and behold, he could now see his old note. Sad thing was? When he tried for a second note, that note could not be seen. What I had told him was to create a wish list of things he'd like to see me create for our next gaming sessions. This way, he'd make the note, I'd do what he was asking for, and remove it from his wish list as being done.

Then came the issue about trying to update to version 3.3.2 - he could not do it, as it crashed twice out of two attempts. He's using an older computer however, XP as the operating system. His newer system burned out (mother board issue that burned his drive to uselessness alas!). He's unemployed and could only use his old XP computer. I don't know if that has an impact or not.

damned
September 24th, 2017, 06:02
Hi HalC I remember one or two versions ago that Moon Wizard announced that it would probably be the last version that supported XP as the frameworks required to support the newer features no longer supported XP....

HalC
September 24th, 2017, 06:32
Hi HalC I remember one or two versions ago that Moon Wizard announced that it would probably be the last version that supported XP as the frameworks required to support the newer features no longer supported XP....

I was afraid that might be the case. He made it all the way up to 3.3.1.

Just out of curiosity, how do we make sure that if anything happens in the future, that he can always revert back to version 3.3.1? I'd hate for him to lose the ability to connect in the event something happens now and a file gets corrupted or something.

probably his best bet would be to save all the files onto a CD ROM and burn it to it now.

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2017, 08:17
The Windows XP deprecation should not be affecting this.

As for saving the version, that might work for a bit, but then your whole group would need to have the all the files backed up. The rulesets evolve over time, and new features are built into the FG client that are needed to support new features. And, the GM version of the ruleset and extension files are always used when joining a campaign.

If there is any way that you guys can help me recreate on my machine, I can take a look.

* Can you walk me through the exact steps for how the note was created? (i.e. join game, click Notes, click Edit button, ...)
* Are you both running v3.3.2?
* I'm assuming you are running the GURPS ruleset in this thread. Is that correct? Have you downloaded it recently to make sure you have the latest version? What version is reported in the chat window when you start up the campaign?
* Are you running any extensions?

Thanks,
JPG

paladiusdarkhelm
September 24th, 2017, 16:02
We played tonight, and we had a lot of errors thrown revolving around images/tokens (we think), before and after we switched on the Enhanced Images extension. There were a few instances of tokens disappearing from some clients when moved or resized (we expect the disappearances to be related to the Enhanced Images)—the game was playable, though, otherwise. To be fair, it's an old campaign, so there may be some bad data. Might be worthwhile to clear the cache if you're having issues.

I haven't even been able to use the Enhanced image extensions (in any game-type really) because when I do, I can't access the GM red push-pin links. I think it treats them as images and not links. That problem existed for me on the last release.

HalC
September 24th, 2017, 16:41
The Windows XP deprecation should not be affecting this.

As for saving the version, that might work for a bit, but then your whole group would need to have the all the files backed up. The rulesets evolve over time, and new features are built into the FG client that are needed to support new features. And, the GM version of the ruleset and extension files are always used when joining a campaign.

If there is any way that you guys can help me recreate on my machine, I can take a look.

* Can you walk me through the exact steps for how the note was created? (i.e. join game, click Notes, click Edit button, ...)
* Are you both running v3.3.2?
* I'm assuming you are running the GURPS ruleset in this thread. Is that correct? Have you downloaded it recently to make sure you have the latest version? What version is reported in the chat window when you start up the campaign?
* Are you running any extensions?

Thanks,
JPG

I'm running 3.0.7 GURPS core rules set, GURPS core theme v0.3 CoreRPG 3.3.2. The only core ext is GURPSCORE. I've got the most recent release as of this point in time. Hope this helps. :)

nbraker
October 1st, 2017, 00:27
Thank you for putting this together! I'm not giving up on GURPS for Fantasy Grounds. A friend and I talked with the developers at some of the cons and did our best to ask that they keep the game compatible. Hoping SJ opens the gates for better integration.

ronnke
October 1st, 2017, 07:49
Hi nbraker, welcome to the community. Did you manage to sort out the problem with the loading of the skin?

nbraker
October 1st, 2017, 08:04
Hi nbraker, welcome to the community. Did you manage to sort out the problem with the loading of the skin?

No. I downloaded and saved the files to the appropriate folders in the game. I selected the options when creating a new game. I get 'most' of the skin but there are missing elements. Game does function. Dice rolls are fine, etc... but "Items and Vehicles" is still the old icon. Looks like most of the skin came through but with exceptions. I've added a picture. no other addons are selected for this game. I"m thinking a full re-install of FG might be in order.

Nick.

ronnke
October 1st, 2017, 14:40
Woah! That is an entirely different skin or skins. Is it possible you have multiple skins/themes/incompatible extensions loaded at the same time? Try open a GURPS campaign without any extensions loaded.

ronnke
October 1st, 2017, 14:44
Wait...it looks like you are loading the older GURPS_4e ruleset and not the new GURPS Core ruleset. When you create a new campaign, use the ruleset titled "GURPS" and not the one titled "GURPS_4e". That should fix your issue.

nbraker
October 1st, 2017, 15:18
Wait...it looks like you are loading the older GURPS_4e ruleset and not the new GURPS Core ruleset. When you create a new campaign, use the ruleset titled "GURPS" and not the one titled "GURPS_4e". That should fix your issue.

Thanks! I'll give it a try per your suggestions.

nbraker
October 6th, 2017, 00:56
This is amazing work. I feel like me and my players have been roughing it compared to what you've done with the GURPS and FG game. Night and day difference. KUDOs!!!!

ronnke
October 6th, 2017, 01:05
This is amazing work. I feel like me and my players have been roughing it compared to what you've done with the GURPS and FG game. Night and day difference. KUDOs!!!!

Awesome! Glad you got it sorted. Play more GURPS! :)

TheMookNet
October 6th, 2017, 05:32

Couldn't agree more. I can absolutely say I wouldn't have grabbed an Ultimate License (or, really, any license at all) without having such a solid GURPS ruleset in place (it's the only system I GM). Thank you! :D

ShotGun Jolly
October 13th, 2017, 13:52
Hey there..

Just downloaded the Ruleset and I am getting this error, plus my desktop looks the same as NBraker's does

Script Error: [string "DecalCustom"]:1: attempt to index global 'OptionsManager' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (resize_chatbox) in windowclass (chat)
Ruleset Warning: chat: Could not find icon (portrait_ruleset_token)
Ruleset Warning: genericcontrol: Could not find icon (indicator_resize) in windowclass (library)

Andraax
October 13th, 2017, 13:54
You using an extension with a custom decal? Did you try turning off that extension?

ShotGun Jolly
October 13th, 2017, 13:57
Nevermind, for some reason.. when I donwloaded the first time it was a different in some way.. I have one that says GURPS 4e and just GURPS. The just GURPS one is the one is working properly..

ronnke
October 18th, 2017, 00:35
Good news everyone!

I've had to keep this quiet for long time, but can now finally announce it. For the past few months SJG has been looking at what we've been doing with the GURPS ruleset and they really like it. They have granted me permission to continue development which also includes features like automation. Probably even more exciting is, SJG will over the next couple of months monitor the interest in GURPS on Fantasy Grounds. If sufficient, they will look at officially licencing which means we may start seeing official GURPS content made available.

Look out for a Daily Illuminator article about it. :)

seycyrus
October 18th, 2017, 01:57
Awesomeness!!

Dakadin
October 18th, 2017, 02:56
Great job Ronnke!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 18th, 2017, 03:27
Congratulations Ronnke!
I'm very happy with the news!

TheMookNet
October 18th, 2017, 06:06
Good news everyone!

I've had to keep this quiet for long time, but can now finally announce it. For the past few months SJG has been looking at what we've been doing with the GURPS ruleset and they really like it. They have granted me permission to continue development which also includes features like automation. Probably even more exciting is, SJG will over the next couple of months monitor the interest in GURPS on Fantasy Grounds. If sufficient, they will look at officially licencing which means we may start seeing official GURPS content made available.

Now that is good news! Official support and products would be a godsend, and I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve now that some of the restrictions have been relaxed.

Well played, Ronnke! ;)

GunbunnyFuFu
October 18th, 2017, 09:42
Great!! This is good news indeed!

demonsbane
October 18th, 2017, 13:13
Finally! It's really nice to hear about this.

damned
October 18th, 2017, 13:30
Kudos to you ronnke and heres hoping for some successful rolls!

Honken
October 18th, 2017, 16:06
Well, that is awesome! I think i need a game going... And congrats.

/H

paladiusdarkhelm
October 18th, 2017, 20:01
Fantastic! Congratulations ronnke!

dmkevin
October 18th, 2017, 23:46
Excellent! Would love to play or gm Gurps Uplift on FG.

ShotGun Jolly
October 19th, 2017, 04:02
Good news everyone!

Well done!

Very well done!

Exalted
October 20th, 2017, 02:06
Tremendous news! Congrats on you work, well-deserved praise!

Can you give us a brief rundown of the types of things you think might now be possible?

ronnke
October 20th, 2017, 02:14
I plan to automate the application of range modifiers to ranged attacks. I will also look into automatic damage calculation when applying it to a character (this is not going to be an easy task). I am also open to ideas and suggestions from people for features they want. There is also the existing wishlist, but now I know where we stand with SJG with regards to features we can look at.

Exalted
October 20th, 2017, 02:17
Those sound like a great start.

ronnke
October 20th, 2017, 03:21
Good news everyone!

GURPS 4e Ruleset v3.1.0 - 20th Oct 2017, is now available via the link in this threads original post.

These are the changes:

GURPS 4e Ruleset v3.1.0 - 20th Oct 2017
- Added Map Scales and Range Modifier calculation to pointers (Access via scale icon in the image toolbar).
- Fixed bug with effects (post CoreRPG 3.3.3 effect changes. Players can add, remove and target their own effects).
- Cleaned up combat tracker (editing NPC attack modes now done via linked NPC sheet).
- Fixed issue with hex row and hex column (can now use both options with no problems).
- Set the default grid type to hex (because GURPS!!!).
- Token facing increased from 6 to 12 positions.
- Added GURPS and Dungeon Fantasy RPG decal options.
- Code optimisations and minor bug fixes.

ronnke
October 20th, 2017, 05:50
Good news everyone!

GURPS 4e Ruleset v3.1.0 - 20th Oct 2017, is now available via the link in this threads original post.

These are the changes:

GURPS 4e Ruleset v3.1.0 - 20th Oct 2017
- Added Map Scales and Range Modifier calculation to pointers (Access via scale icon in the image toolbar).
- Fixed bug with effects (post CoreRPG 3.3.3 effect changes. Players can add, remove and target their own effects).
- Cleaned up combat tracker (editing NPC attack modes now done via linked NPC sheet).
- Fixed issue with hex row and hex column (can now use both options with no problems).
- Set the default grid type to hex (because GURPS!!!).
- Token facing increased from 6 to 12 positions.
- Added GURPS and Dungeon Fantasy RPG decal options.
- Code optimisations and minor bug fixes.

It was pointed out the dropbox download was not the latest release. If you have already downloaded the v3.1.0 release prior to this post, then you will have to re-download to get the correct ruleset version.

paladiusdarkhelm
October 20th, 2017, 14:03
I plan to automate the application of range modifiers to ranged attacks. I will also look into automatic damage calculation when applying it to a character (this is not going to be an easy task). I am also open to ideas and suggestions from people for features they want. There is also the existing wishlist, but now I know where we stand with SJG with regards to features we can look at.

Automated calcs linked and rolling down from updates to Attributes, Advantages/Disadvantages, DR, and the damage-type calcs would be fantastic and help better manage the sheet after it has initially been imported into FG from GURPS character assistant.

Also, if this means player-created modules can now be shared that include GURPS-stat'd enemies, NPCs, equipment, stories, etc. then hallelujah! It has been taking me so much time to one-at-a-time create NPCs in GCA, then save them each in the right format, then import them one-at-a-time into FG, find them a token, and prep/set them up for use in a session. I know having standard creatures and enemies in a standing module ready to just drag and drop onto an encounter map would help me out tremendously! It's allow me to focus my time on bettering the story and planning alternate avenues for player decision and die-roll surprises. :-)

demonsbane
October 20th, 2017, 23:48
These are the changes:

I just tested some of these implementations, it works fine!

Also, if this means player-created modules can now be shared that include GURPS-stat'd enemies, NPCs, equipment, stories, etc. then hallelujah!

This perhaps includes some tables too, like hit location, criticals, fright checks and such things having to do, I think, with automation. I'm not really sure, but it would make running games much more easily, instead of requiring each group to assemble their own manual setup.

Of course it's great to customize a FG GURPS frame with house rules, etc., but at least a basic shareable framework (still open to customization) would be just grand.

damned
October 21st, 2017, 00:25
I just tested some of these implementations, it works fine!

This perhaps includes some tables too, like hit location, criticals, fright checks and such things having to do, I think, with automation. I'm not really sure, but it would make running games much more easily, instead of requiring each group to assemble their own manual setup.

Of course it's great to customize a FG GURPS frame with house rules, etc., but at least a basic shareable framework (still open to customization) would be just grand.

At a guess... I would think that these things would be part of an official/licensed/commercial release rather than a community release...

seycyrus
October 21st, 2017, 01:48
Ronnke, things look great!

One thing I noticed is that there seems to be a conflict with the enhanced images extension. It (the enhanced images extension) seems to override the map scaling, 12 points, and range calculations. Basically everything having to do with images. The image toolbar does not even show up, and I got some error messages related to window placement. To my untrained eye, it appears that the extension is placing icons where your ruleset already has icons...

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/imagewindow.lua"]:184: setGridOffset: Grid size is zero
Runtime Notice: windowinstance = { class = dicetower, node = nil, x,y,w,h = 176,1120,90,90 }
Runtime Notice: windowinstance = { class = chat, node = nil, x,y,w,h = -8,91,350,1030 }
Runtime Notice: windowinstance = { class = modifierstack, node = nil, x,y,w,h = -5,1135,105,57 }
Runtime Notice: s'Window has closed'

ronnke
October 21st, 2017, 01:57
Ronnke, things look great!

One thing I noticed is that there seems to be a conflict with the enhanced images extension. It (the enhanced images extension) seems to override the map scaling, 12 points, and range calculations. Basically everything having to do with images. The image toolbar does not even show up, and I got some error messages related to window placement. To my untrained eye, it appears that the extension is placing icons where your ruleset already has icons...

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/imagewindow.lua"]:184: setGridOffset: Grid size is zero
Runtime Notice: windowinstance = { class = dicetower, node = nil, x,y,w,h = 176,1120,90,90 }
Runtime Notice: windowinstance = { class = chat, node = nil, x,y,w,h = -8,91,350,1030 }
Runtime Notice: windowinstance = { class = modifierstack, node = nil, x,y,w,h = -5,1135,105,57 }
Runtime Notice: s'Window has closed'

That will most likely be a layering inheritence issue. Both inherit from core....hmmm....I will have a look and see what can be done.

Andraax
October 21st, 2017, 02:32
Enhanced Images extension doesn't support hex grids.

damned
October 21st, 2017, 02:39

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=360774&viewfull=1#post360774

seycyrus
October 21st, 2017, 03:33

Some time ago I reported that one was able to make it work with grids, by doing things in the correct sequence.

I've been trying to make things work with the new ruleset, but without any luck.

seycyrus
October 21st, 2017, 03:46
That will most likely be a layering inheritence issue. Both inherit from core....hmmm....I will have a look and see what can be done.

Thanking you in advance!

CommJunkee
October 21st, 2017, 04:07
It isn't perfect, and there are some visual issues, namely some grid shadows, but here is what I get...

Additionally, I don't seem to be able to get snap-to-grid to work either.

CommJunkee
October 21st, 2017, 04:09
The tokens are on layer 3, the yellow vehicle is on layer 2, and the circle is on layer 3.

I did have to initially start the campaign without the Layers Extension. Open the image, and set the scale. I then closed it, and then reopened with the Layer Extension active. I had to redraw the hex grid at about 180+ pixels, and scale down manually.

Exalted
October 21st, 2017, 16:58
It seems I can now place tokens on hexes intersections, is this by design?

Also, on topic of suggestions, this surely must have been mentioned before but would love to have sw, th, dodge and so forth to be automatically calculated from attributes.

paladiusdarkhelm
October 21st, 2017, 17:30

Also, on topic of suggestions, this surely must have been mentioned before but would love to have sw, th, dodge and so forth to be automatically calculated from attributes.

+1

Also, hoping it's possible to include accountability for advantages - like Arm strength for sw and th but not kick for example. Maybe that would entail an advantages/disadvantages module where relationships and functionality like that with stat interaction is added to each one?

ronnke
October 21st, 2017, 21:06

Certainly possible, but I'm not sure what problem such a feature fixes since the GCA import already deals with those values. If people made character directly in FG (a feature I hope we eventually get to) then definitely a thing.

ronnke
October 21st, 2017, 21:09
Certainly possible, but I'm not sure what problem such a feature fixes since the GCA import already deals with those values. If people made character directly in FG (a feature I hope we eventually get to) then definitely a thing.

Something like that will only be possible with an official commercial ruleset as IP is involved. The framework for it can be developed but you would have to manually enter your relationships, etc.

demonsbane
October 21st, 2017, 23:54
At a guess... I would think that these things would be part of an official/licensed/commercial release rather than a community release...

Yeah, you may be right. IMHO it also could depend on how much SJG approves the unofficial ruleset. Right now the official logos for GURPS and Dungeon Fantasy are implemented as decals, which is meaningful and promising.

On the other hand, if they want to see more GURPS games around, the availability of some of these features (most likely already existent in non-distributable extension files) without requiring extra homework to the users could help.

Now, as it was said there's the need of evaluating what I think are several factors, so I guess we'll see! Regards

ronnke
October 22nd, 2017, 00:53

Not design, but an inherited feature of core. Do people like or not like? It can be changed.

Andraax
October 22nd, 2017, 01:55
Not design, but an inherited feature of core. Do people like or not like? It can be changed.

It's useful for multi-hex creatures.

paladiusdarkhelm
October 22nd, 2017, 13:47
I hosted another GURPS Fantasy Survival game this weekend and the player's love it. I converted their Palladium Fantasy characters over to GURPS once I became aware of this ruleset a few months back. They are new to GURPS and I am knocking the rust off. With me preloading a ton of stuff into FG in supplement to what Ronnke already has embedded, on top of what core provides, it has helped us all come up to speed by leaps and bounds. If I had tried converting them over and running through something like Roll20 and just handed them the book their eyes would have glossed over as they'd be quickly overwhelmed.

Hopefully, SJG will not only continue to approve, but invest further in the more rich features being discussed, so that more people can finally convert and enjoy the details and balance GURPS brings - but let the system take care of a lot of that crunch. :-)

ronnke
October 22nd, 2017, 22:02
I hosted another GURPS Fantasy Survival game this weekend and the player's love it.

That's great feedback and it's super awesome your game went well. If you are a visitor to the SJG forums, and you feel up to it, perhaps you can post something about it on the those forums. It will help other people looking to evaluate FG and SJG will also see it.

ronnke
October 23rd, 2017, 02:40
Added the following to the original post requesting community input on future development.

Suggest Ideas and Features

Click the following link to have your input on future ruleset development/improvement: https://gurps4efg.idea.informer.com/proj/

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 23rd, 2017, 04:02
Ronnke, would not it be better to finish the development of that Ruleset listing to see the need for new ideas?
I do not know if the final version will count the spent ammunition, if the spells rolled will have the spent spell, if the damage types will be calculated in the hit points, if the RD will be divided by part, thus allowing to apply the reducers and modifiers of damage and also automatically reducing the level of ability by the body part I choose ....

ronnke
October 23rd, 2017, 04:45
The ideas and suggestions helps clarify what sort of features people want and buy up-voting a particular feature, then I get a sense of the demand/priority. This is also the case where some feature requests may be sufficiently similar that they can be worked on at the same time.

Hector Trelane
October 23rd, 2017, 17:31
Good news everyone!

Let me add my congrats, late.

Feedback for SJG -- Dear All-Seeing Pyramid/Warehouse 23: I think you'll find that providing strong support with official content will attract and grow interest in GURPS on Fantasy Grounds, not the other way around. A major benefit of Fantasy Grounds is to make life easier for busy GMs by providing pre-loaded content that is flexible, with easy reference links, attractive to look at on screen, etc. In other words, "I give you money, you make my life easier." If the only content for [Insert RPG here] is user-created, that cuts the pool of potential GMs (who are the gatekeepers to players) drastically due to both coding skill and time constraints. (So if the process is: "Wait for volunteer coders to do all the work and demonstrate the market", we may never get to the "I give you money" part in the above arrangement...)

What's more, a lot of us are dabblers who play more than one system. If [RPG] is officially supported, it's far more likely to get into the rotation of a GM/player group.

Seems like a FG commissioning deal could be struck with IP protections and limited financial exposure (by commissioning ronnke, for example), why not commit now to trying it out fully?

Fnord.

ronnke
October 23rd, 2017, 23:31
Seems like a FG commissioning deal could be struck with IP protections and limited financial exposure (by commissioning ronnke, for example), why not commit now to trying it out fully?

Short answer...SJG want to see if there is actually a market for GURPS on Fantasy Grounds before jumping into licensing. I have no idea how things work when publishers license with SmiteWorks, but I'm sure there are contractual obligations that publishers (in this case SJG) would rather not enter into unless they are sure the platform will work for them.

Moon Wizard
October 24th, 2017, 00:51
You should definitely reach out to Doug with your SJG contact. Usually, the only thing that we ask for is a digital copy of any content released in the store (for internal development and maintenance purposes), and a pretty standard publisher split agreement signed. Since it seems that you are already on board to be the developer for the DLC, they shouldn't need to do anything else at that point.

Cheers,
JPG

ronnke
October 24th, 2017, 01:01
You should definitely reach out to Doug with your SJG contact.

I will do.

While I know you are around...I sent you a PM last week, any chance you've had a look at it? :)

seycyrus
October 24th, 2017, 01:54
Short answer...SJG want to see if there is actually a market for GURPS on Fantasy Grounds before jumping into licensing. ...

Any idea on how they will make that evaluation?

ronnke
October 24th, 2017, 02:09

Some...I know they will monitor how much discussion and interest there is on their forums and social media. Hunter will help push information out via his channels and I guess the feedback from that will be a factor. So the more we can inform people, get them talking about and actually using FG to play GURPS, the better. Mid to end of December marks the end of their evaluation period, so the community has 2 months to do it's part to push the platform. I will be writing a Daily Illuminator article, hopefully this week, which they will send out. I will also see if Hunter is open to a #SJGLive event either demo'ing or an actual play using FG.

GunnarGreybeard
October 24th, 2017, 06:47
I used to love GURPS but over time, the 'crunch' starting getting old (probably just me getting old and cranky) but with the automation FG would bring, I could definitely see myself jumping back into it.

ronnke
October 24th, 2017, 06:54
Quit being old and cranky. :P

TheMookNet
October 24th, 2017, 07:06
As a fairly recent convert, my last site post (https://www.themook.net/gamegeekery/gurps-with-fantasy-grounds/) talked about this, and I linked it in all the usual places: the SJG forums, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ (haven't broached Reddit or RPG.net... yet). I'd heartily suggest anyone wanting to raise the signal do the same with their own stuff. If the numbers simply aren't there, they aren't there... but surely it's worth finding out for sure. Stand up and be counted. :cool:

If you’re not already, consider running some GURPS games using Fantasy Grounds.
If you are already, make sure the wider GURPS community knows about it!
In either case, I think the key here is simply more exposure. I know there are GURPS/FG gamers out there, some who have been playing regularly for years, but SJG needs to know they exist. Talk about your FG games on blogs and social media, invite new players if you have room, and encourage other GMs to give it a try. If you’re comfortable with it, maybe post actual plays for others to see.

Hector Trelane
October 24th, 2017, 10:44
I used to love GURPS but over time, the 'crunch' starting getting old (probably just me getting old and cranky) but with the automation FG would bring, I could definitely see myself jumping back into it.

My impression of D&D 5e these days is that IT is more crunch-intensive than GURPs used to be and less logically consistent. Essentially, your job if 5e is to memorize and internalize the quirks and exploits of every class AND the general combat rules AND skills and feats etc... Whereas with GURPs you're dealing with a logically consistent system that I can "get" once and add optionally add complexity to. Sure, if you're dealing with Vehicles and High Tech and Psyonics you're going to be studying and referring in GURPs quite a bit too... as you would in a lot of systems.

But I agree with GunnarGreybeard that automation would bring a lot of strength here.

Hector Trelane
October 24th, 2017, 10:52
Good invitation.

Well I think Shotgun Jolly is planning a GURPS Mad Max.

For Starters, I would potentially run GURPS Rome and GURPS Celtic Myth. Even GURPS Goblins(! ... a potentially great Con game). GURPS In Nomine is on my bucket list... although I'd need to acquire that title first. (Cool cover art here! https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/in-nomine/img/cover_lg.jpg )

Hector Trelane
October 24th, 2017, 11:00
As a fairly recent convert, my last site post (https://www.themook.net/gamegeekery/gurps-with-fantasy-grounds/) talked about this, and I linked it in all the usual places

How about list here too on this G+ group on Fantasy Grounds RPG?: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/110286911165948798500

ronnke
October 24th, 2017, 11:31
GURPS In Nomine is on my bucket list... although I'd need to acquire that title first.

Yeah, I really want to do this one too.

GunbunnyFuFu
October 24th, 2017, 11:40
I'd run a GURPS version of Millennium's End, a techno-thriller where PCs play members of BlackEagle/BlackEagle, a modern investigative and protection (think PMC) corporation. Jungle operations in Colombia, urban operations against Mexican Narco-Cartels, and operations for whoever can pay the fees, be them protection details, investigation details, or other.

Hector Trelane
October 24th, 2017, 12:55
Sounds like Predator I and II... or are you going for the A-Team? ;)

GunbunnyFuFu
October 24th, 2017, 13:08
Neither! BE/BE operatives carry out investigations, espionage, and para-military operations...Though the Predator angle would throw the former Spec-Ops BE/BE cell for a loop!

The original RPG was good, just combat was horribly slow. It's set up in a dark, gritty version of our own world circa 1999 to the early 2000s. The blurb from Drive Thru:

It's two in the morning. The office is forty stories up, high above the sirens, the gunshots, the cries of pain and anguish that are the city at night. Michael is bathed in the glow of his laptop, typing furiously as he navigates the labyrinthine directories of the corporate mainframe. In the pale light of the doorway, Laenna's silhouette stirs.
"Someone's on the elevator," comes her whisper over the radio headset.
"No way," Raleigh answers from across the room. "I've got the building control routine up. Elevators are dead."
"Come see for yourself," Laenna replies. Sure enough, through the green glow of starlight goggles the tiny numbers blink brightly as the elevator ascends.
"We've got a problem," Michael interjects. "The files aren't here. Sawada lied to us." He turns in the glow of the monitor. "Door lockouts are coming up all over the floor."
Set up. No one knows we're here. And if that's Techtonics Corporation security, no one will find our bodies, either. Through the darkness comes the quiet chime of the elevator, and an almost inaudible click as Raleigh flips the safety off his P90 . . .

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/63044/Millenniums-End-v20

CommJunkee
October 28th, 2017, 18:29
I'd run a GURPS version of Millennium's End

Easily done, I run a game for my group GURPS: Action, Consular Ops. Which had its roots in the original Millennium's End. I have always enjoyed the setting and try and bring similar elements when I can. You can see some of our campaign elements here... https://forum.olympusrpg.org/viewforum.php?f=89

demonsbane
October 29th, 2017, 22:16

I know they will monitor how much discussion and interest there is on their forums and social media. Hunter will help push information out via his channels and I guess the feedback from that will be a factor. So the more we can inform people, get them talking about and actually using FG to play GURPS, the better.

(. . .)

Well I think Shotgun Jolly is planning a GURPS Mad Max.

For Starters, I would potentially run GURPS Rome and GURPS Celtic Myth. Even GURPS Goblins(! ... a potentially great Con game). GURPS In Nomine is on my bucket list... although I'd need to acquire that title first. (Cool cover art here! https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/in-nomine/img/cover_lg.jpg )

Guys, what do you think about an Online GURPS Fantasy Grounds Con?

Andraax
October 29th, 2017, 23:06
I'm planning on running a few one-shots of Dungeon Fantasy and posting the info on the SJ Games forum.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 30th, 2017, 01:54
Here in Brazil there was a magazine called Dragon Brazil and she had many one-shot adventures with various themes and ambiences and I'm thinking of converting the adventures of this magazine to FG.

ronnke
October 30th, 2017, 05:47

I like it. I could run a game for it.

ronnke
October 30th, 2017, 05:51
I'm planning on running a few one-shots of Dungeon Fantasy and posting the info on the SJ Games forum.

Awesome!

Here in Brazil there was a magazine called Dragon Brazil and she had many one-shot adventures with various themes and ambiences and I'm thinking of converting the adventures of this magazine to FG.

That would be very cool. Would those games be open to English speakers or Portuguese only?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 30th, 2017, 11:57
Unfortunately the magazine was aimed only at the young Brazilian audience, the inventor's premise was to present various RPG systems and introduce people to this wonderful world of imagination and creation.

demonsbane
October 30th, 2017, 12:05
Unfortunately the magazine was aimed only at the young Brazilian audience, the inventor's premise was to present various RPG systems and introduce people to this wonderful world of imagination and creation.

Maybe these one-shot adventures can be translated for making them bilingual.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 30th, 2017, 22:00
Yes, I think so, the harder it will be the conversion, because most of it is from the GURPS 3rd Edition season, and the very harder it will be to replicate the maps. :(

Hector Trelane
October 30th, 2017, 23:31

Never hurts to go for the gold, but running a con is a lot of work and you have to build the crowd. I'd suggest focusing on a big GURPS presence (GMs and players) at the next FG Daze (winter one day con) and FG Con (spring).

Exalted
November 3rd, 2017, 16:17
How are items categorized in the ruleset? I mean, their order on the character sheet doesn't seem to obey a pattern (e.g. alphabetical).

seycyrus
November 4th, 2017, 02:15
How are items categorized in the ruleset? I mean, their order on the character sheet doesn't seem to obey a pattern (e.g. alphabetical).

When I import them in from GCA4 I think they show up in whatever order they are originally in. But notice that you can show items as beings inside other items, by typing in the appropriate container in the "location" field.

Exalted
November 5th, 2017, 14:12
When I import them in from GCA4 I think they show up in whatever order they are originally in. But notice that you can show items as beings inside other items, by typing in the appropriate container in the "location" field.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Sure is handy! Thank you.

seycyrus
November 8th, 2017, 02:20
The tokens are on layer 3, the yellow vehicle is on layer 2, and the circle is on layer 3.

I did have to initially start the campaign without the Layers Extension. Open the image, and set the scale. I then closed it, and then reopened with the Layer Extension active. I had to redraw the hex grid at about 180+ pixels, and scale down manually.

@Ronnke

Ronnke, I had to take some time off and now that I have the time to look at this, I find that I'm still having problems. I can't recreate the workaround that CommJunke is suggesting. Are you still thinking about taking a look at this?

To everyone else... is anyone else having problems making the range penalties how up with the Enhanced Images extension?

Gigermann
November 8th, 2017, 02:39
@Ronnke

Ronnke, I had to take some time off and now that I have the time to look at this, I find that I'm still having problems. I can't recreate the workaround that CommJunke is suggesting. Are you still thinking about taking a look at this?

To everyone else... is anyone else having problems making the range penalties how up with the Enhanced Images extension?I couldn't get it to work either, but I haven't updated to the latest Enhanced Images version.

ronnke
November 8th, 2017, 05:54
@Ronnke

To everyone else... is anyone else having problems making the range penalties how up with the Enhanced Images extension?

Yes, I will be looking at it.

Exalted
November 8th, 2017, 18:28
Can we have "effects" that auto apply modifiers to rolls? I currently use "modifiers" for Lightning conditions for example, but it would be handy to have a "Moonlight: -3" effect to have that applied to every roll someone with said effect makes.

Edit: Another question: connected as a player, the combat tracker groups PCs on top with Enemies on the bottom regardless of Basic Speed (as GM I see them ordered in their actual turn order) Is this by design?

ronnke
November 8th, 2017, 22:58
Can we have "effects" that auto apply modifiers to rolls? I currently use "modifiers" for Lightning conditions for example, but it would be handy to have a "Moonlight: -3" effect to have that applied to every roll someone with said effect makes.

Edit: Another question: connected as a player, the combat tracker groups PCs on top with Enemies on the bottom regardless of Basic Speed (as GM I see them ordered in their actual turn order) Is this by design?

Short answer to your effects question, is yes, but when this could become available is another matter. It will feature eventually.

Re, the combat tracker...Yes, that is by design. In the options you can toggle just how much tracker information is available to players, so if you want your players to know NPC turn order then you can configure it.

Exalted
November 8th, 2017, 23:50
Short answer to your effects question, is yes, but when this could become available is another matter. It will feature eventually.

Re, the combat tracker...Yes, that is by design. In the options you can toggle just how much tracker information is available to players, so if you want your players to know NPC turn order then you can configure it.

Right, then. Thanks, Ronnke!

knucklehead
November 13th, 2017, 15:01
My wishlist:

Freeze CoreRPG requirement to avoid the "Rolling Release Blues/Everything Broke...Again" issue? Conceptually, I guess, it'd be keeping your own CoreRPG "branch" with the ruleset and then being able to merge to the new CoreRPG foundation when compatibility has been confirmed?

You know, for those of us that, em, always upgrade to the new shiny before considering dependency issues. :)

Andraax
November 13th, 2017, 15:19
My wishlist:

Freeze CoreRPG requirement to avoid the "Rolling Release Blues/Everything Broke...Again" issue? Conceptually, I guess, it'd be keeping your own CoreRPG "branch" with the ruleset and then being able to merge to the new CoreRPG foundation when compatibility has been confirmed?

You know, for those of us that, em, always upgrade to the new shiny before considering dependency issues. :)

You can already do that. The client uses an unpacked ruleset by preference over a packed one. So, unpack the version that you know works and leave it out there. Even if you get an update, it will continue to use the unpacked one until you unpack a new version.

knucklehead
November 13th, 2017, 16:00
You can already do that. The client uses an unpacked ruleset by preference over a packed one. So, unpack the version that you know works and leave it out there. Even if you get an update, it will continue to use the unpacked one until you unpack a new version.

Sorry, I'll add the necessary qualifier: "In a commercial/official release." Working, stable rulesets that take a few days to come up to speed on possibly major changes (even in minor patch designations) are preferred.

Reasons: Official rulesets that aren't maintained as actively as others and possibly multiple updates behind Core. Or community rulesets that might not ever get another contributor, but would/could have contributed greatly to the FG ecosystem had the floor not shifted out from under them as volunteers drifted away.

Andraax
November 13th, 2017, 16:10
I don't see what the difference is? You can unpack both community and commercial rulesets. And the client treats both the same (using an unpacked one by preference). So, you can, on your computer, force the use of whichever combination of versions of rulesets you would like. I do it all the time when I'm testing changes for the C&C ruleset. I'm just a little fancier about it - I use subversion with version tags, so I can just go into a ruleset folder, and tell subversion "use version XXX of this ruleset" and it updates all the files accordingly.

knucklehead
November 13th, 2017, 18:20
I don't see what the difference is? You can unpack both community and commercial rulesets.

The difference, in my opinion, is that commercial/official release would be a paid product with a minimum support/reliability expectation. Dipping into the filesystem, unarchiving, and renaming extensions, then keeping abreast of forum updates to know when to update the underlying Core code is pretty inconvenient/cumbersome for someone who possibly just dropped 150 + extension/ruleset costs, installs from say, steam, links their account and syncs their purchases, then clicks the highlighted "Update" button only to find out update x.x.x just broke something.

Alternately, an active maintainer of the paid product would know when to make the move to updated CoreRPG, and could be "pushed" to all the typical end users with minimum fuss.

All that file system work, much less recalling ruleset precedence for is cumbersome to someone who simply wants to run the game they just paid for.

Even if you have everything in your ruleset of choice working just fine, layering on top of CoreRPG is the problem, since every ruleset should be inheriting from it. Or you have an unarchived version of CoreRPG available to prevent that from happening, but then get an update to 5E incorporating some new CoreRPG features/fixes, and your old, unpacked CoreRPG gets used, and breaks the new 5E update. Super obnoxious.

For those of us that want to get under the hood it's perfectly fine. We're a small subset of potential users, though. Stability of all the rulesets, and certainly the paid ones, seems a smart move. Seriously, it's 2017, so download-copy-navigate filesystem-unarchive-recall extension/mod precedence-am-I-inheriting-old-rules-and-what-the-hell-is-inheritance-anyway? as a possible "first time installation" scenario is just garbage, and is not doing any favors for adoption of the platform.

THAT opinion being expressed...this is a GURPS thread, where physicists write rulebooks and linux kernel maintainers theorycraft in sj forums using every mechanic from the "Core 50 books" via memory, or whatever, so I think they can handle some of the complex, anachronistic bits of the UI/UX. :)

Andraax
November 13th, 2017, 18:37
So, you want to push the responsibility of not updating CoreRPG (a supported ruleset) until GURPS (an unsupported ruleset) gets updated onto SmiteWorks? That's not going to happen. If you use something unsupported, it's on *you* to make sure they work together. SmiteWorks makes sure that all *supported* rulesets gets updates so they work simultaneously - that's all they should be required to do. SmiteWorks already announces, and makes available, the updates well before they push them, so developers have plenty of time to test / update before the push happens. If developers do not take advantage of that, it's not SmiteWorks fault...

If you are using an unsupported ruleset that relies on CoreRPG, your choices are to maintain older versions of CoreRPG that work with the ruleset yourself, or not update until GURPS works with the latest CoreRPG.

Of course, if GURPS *becomes* a supported ruleset, this argument goes away for GURPS.

Hector Trelane
November 13th, 2017, 21:56
Of course, if GURPS *becomes* a supported ruleset, this argument goes away for GURPS.

To help achieve this very thing, you can post on this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40803-What-GURPs-would-you-run-play-with-official-support) to demonstrate the breadth of user interest in GURPS and support ronnke's conversations with SJG's to agree to allow their product to become officially supported. All we have to do is stand up and say, "aye"!

ronnke
November 14th, 2017, 00:56
To help achieve this very thing, you can post on this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40803-What-GURPs-would-you-run-play-with-official-support) to demonstrate the breadth of user interest in GURPS and support ronnke's conversations with SJG's to agree to allow their product to become officially supported. All we have to do is stand up and say, "aye"!

The best way to get SJG to stand up and take notice is to talk about FG on the SJG forums. This way the discussion is in their face and the face of GURPS fans who may not be aware of Fantasy Grounds. Talk about the games you play, your love for the platform, and how it benefits your gaming experience. However, be honest about it, don't praise it unless that praise is genuine.

The next place to talk about GURPS/FG is popular gaming forums (ie rpg.net) and social media groups, twitter, etc. This helps promote GURPS and brings in new blood to the community.

ronnke
November 14th, 2017, 01:00
If someone would like to, writing a Review of GURPS on FG over at the SJG forums would probably be a great way to kick off conversation.

Gigermann
November 14th, 2017, 01:02
My wishlist:

You know, for those of us that, em, always upgrade to the new shiny before considering dependency issues. :)This is exactly how it was before the rework to Core (by necessity, at the time), and why said rework was such a PITA and took so long

ronnke
November 14th, 2017, 01:20
For those wishing to demonstrate how FG works in actual gameplay, then you can direct them to my Twitch channel where my gaming group live streams our weekly sessions. We then upload those sessions on YouTube for those who can't catch the live games. Mook, also recorded and uploaded his very first FG session, which is a great reference to demonstrate how easy it is for a first timer to use FG.

Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/theronnke
The Olympus RPG Group YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCogpSkYj7foShOVyXMbQugA
Mook's Game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVXlbfcQcM&t=5s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNNhn5tUC30&t=3714s

Exalted
November 14th, 2017, 20:15
If someone would like to, writing a Review of GURPS on FG over at the SJG forums would probably be a great way to kick off conversation.

Will do so as soon as I have the video from my session up.

Hector Trelane
November 14th, 2017, 20:28
Will do so as soon as I have the video from my session up.

Great! Post the thread you here once you have it up and we can all support you.

knucklehead
November 15th, 2017, 00:48
So, you want to push the responsibility of not updating CoreRPG (a supported ruleset) until GURPS (an unsupported ruleset) gets updated onto SmiteWorks?

No.

I'm saying that a ruleset developer should freeze a dependency as important as CoreRPG until they've done their own testing, THEN move on to the new shiny.

Cool story about "they tell developers in advance" and "it's on them" and "it's not on these guys."

I don't care, and neither does any other end user. What we all care about is that stuff works as expected.

If a ruleset developer disappears for whatever reason, your campaign shouldn't fall apart with a minor or revision update. But maybe it does anyway.... the good news is those incremental updates shouldn't fundamentally break the FG API, so staying frozen at 3.x.x and maintaining the ruleset should, if all goes as expected, be supported. It's not a perfect world, though, and I'm sure that minor/revision updates have had negative impacts in the past, and that maybe that *shouldn't happen* when it can be avoided.

It *does* require SmiteWorks to not introduce sweeping, tectonic shifts to the APIs in the same major version, but I think they already try to follow that practice.

Nobody's asking for blame to be shifted anywhere. I'm asking for sanity in upgrade policy. If your ruleset depends on CoreRPG, then really it depends on a specific version of CoreRPG, and that version should be distributed with the inheriting ruleset until it's compatible with the current version.

As for the last point: Telling users to maintain their own dependency support (or forego updates??!?!) for any type of ruleset is dogmatic neckbeardery at its worst, and a surefire way to push people away from the platform. A platform which touts the ability to be system agnostic and extensible, by the way.

seycyrus
November 15th, 2017, 01:22
You know ... I want it to be WHATEVER way is easiest for Ronnke, Smiteworks (and hopefully SJG) to put out stuff that can be used for Gurps on FG.

I don't give a flying about folks who need to have the clouds roll away with a shaft of light from the heavens revealing the utopic gurps ruleset. Where were you guys when the page was blank?

And before everyone's feelings get hurt, I don't represent SW or anyone important besides myself. I'm a person on a community forum.

damned
November 15th, 2017, 01:25
Hi knucklehead Ive discussed with SmiteWorks before about keeping certain versions of CoreRPG alive - eg the last .z version (x.y.z like 3.3.2) of each .y version alive and so over time you would have something like CoreRPG.3.0.14, CoreRPG.3.1.9, CoreRPG.3.2.4, and CoreRPG in your folders. The bulk of rulesets would be based on CoreRPG. A community developer may choose to base it on the previous final/stable release by setting that in their code and foregoing new CoreRPG features until they are ready to update their ruleset.

The primary issue with this is there is code in the ruleset, code in CoreRPG and code in the application. Changes to the Application code are also going to break these previous versions.

Either way - at the time I discussed with SmiteWorks it wasnt going to happen.

knucklehead
November 15th, 2017, 03:51
You know ... I want it to be WHATEVER way is easiest for Ronnke, Smiteworks (and hopefully SJG) to put out stuff that can be used for Gurps on FG.

The kind of stability that's likely *already there* in CoreRPG comes even closer to a guarantee if the CoreRPG version a ruleset depends on is "frozen" by distributing it with the ruleset unless the new version is explicitly confirmed to be compatible.

This assumption only works if a generally accepted versioning practice is applied, of course. (CoreRPG Version 4.x.x makes no guarantees that anything works the way you assume it should, 3.x.x introduces no fundamental breakage, 3.3.x introduces absolutely no breakage, or restores functionality that got broken on accident)

The idea being that the maintainer of the ruleset doesn't have to fret over every change and can address those changes as needed. So you've got SmiteWorks not answering questions about unsupported rulesets, and maintainers not under pressure to re-implement something that may be fundamentally changed based on a previous assumption *until they're ready*

That's rolling back the clouds and shining a ray of light on developers, maintainers, and end users/customers, without which none of the aforementioned would exist. Considering all contexts is hard, but kind of important. For instance, potential new users have spent zero days here, but they're vital to growth of the platform as well as support of the ruleset by SJ. I'm not sure why they needed to be here since 2003 to make stability or ease of use a concern.

Not trying to represent SW, SJ, or even community members wants or needs, just myself, and people who haven't used applications requiring userland manual modding of OS/filesystem permissions, text editors, or crash courses in data formats and serialization to get a piece of software to function in like, at least a decade.

We agree, though, I want whats easiest for everybody, and I made a suggestion that I thought would do that.