PDA

View Full Version : 4e Theme in 5e

GarthGiantbane
January 9th, 2017, 21:59
Greetings,

I've done some searching, reading and watching videos about creating desktop themes for the various rulesets. After looking through the different ruleset default desktops I find I like different pieces of each but mostly the 4e desktop. I like the stone look and the inset chat/dice box.

Before I attempt to cut and paste my way to a 5e theme that looks like most of the 4e theme:

Do I have e a licensing issue with copying elements out and reusing in a new theme?
Has anyone already made the 4e theme available as an extension for 5e?
If I do get over these hurdles and make the extension I want, do you have to send those .ext files to players so they see it the same way (or make the file available to download ahead of time)? I think the answer here is no but confirmation would be good.
Sort of a side question - Is there a way to keep the 5e theme but "overlay" or change only the chat box and desktop skin or some other combo of options?

Thanks in advance

Zacchaeus
January 9th, 2017, 22:32
If you are going to be using copyright assets to create a theme then you can only use it for personal use and cannot distribute it. Once you have the extension then you just select it at the campaign startup screen and any player who joins your game will see the theme.

Whether you can just change bits of a theme I don't know. Some recent themes for 5e can be found here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35819-Extension-5E-Theme-FG-GAP). You may get useful insight by taking them apart.

Nickademus
January 9th, 2017, 22:43
Yes, in fact you have to change themes bit by bit. It is possible to pick and choose graphics from themes. (I run a default 5e theme with CoreRPG sidebar buttons and the Wizards theme dice tower.)

Nickademus
January 9th, 2017, 22:45
If you are going to be using copyright assets to create a theme then you can only use it for personal use and cannot distribute it.

I believe if you use only the assets from the free rulesets, you can share the themes or part of the themes. This is what I was told when I started modifying buttons from one of the rulesets. So splicing the 4e and 5e default ruleset theme should be fine.

GarthGiantbane
January 9th, 2017, 22:49
Yes, in fact you have to change themes bit by bit. It is possible to pick and choose graphics from themes. (I run a default 5e theme with CoreRPG sidebar buttons and the Wizards theme dice tower.)

Thanks Nickademus, that's exactly what I'm leaning toward. Making something for 5E (but it appears it'll work for everything CoreRPG up) by taking pieces from the other themes. I like the Wizards theme dice tower but I suspected that one might be unavailable for reuse. Since you said it, I'll explore for it :)

Nickademus
January 9th, 2017, 23:25
I believe the Wizards theme is sold with the PHB, so that would be a no-go for sharing. You can do what you want for you own games though.

damned
January 9th, 2017, 23:54
I think SmiteWorks would be ok with someone re-purposing an included free theme for use with another ruleset - send them an email to support@ requesting permission.
Players will get whatever theme the GM is running. Players cannot choose their own theme - it is applied automatically.

GarthGiantbane
January 10th, 2017, 00:46
I think SmiteWorks would be ok with someone re-purposing an included free theme for use with another ruleset - send them an email to support@ requesting permission.
Players will get whatever theme the GM is running. Players cannot choose their own theme - it is applied automatically.

Once I get something that looks ok and I plan to use it, I'll show it to Smiteworks or tell them about the exact results to see if it's ok. In any case, it gives me a reason to get into the folder structures and file types.

Thanks for your input.