PDA

View Full Version : Considering buying Ultimate, but I need to know more about rulesets.

darthgator
January 9th, 2017, 19:07
My group and I have been using another VTT since around 2012, even committing to their Kickstarter in 2014. Since it seems they've squandered all the money they raised for their project on stupid decisions and the software hasn't substantially improved for over a year, we're considering a switch to FG.

We've played around with the Demo version a couple of times, and it seems alright. However, we use quite a few houserules and Pathfinder Unchained options in our current game. In the other software, I've had to spend hours creating abilities and options to integrate these rules. So, I have two primary questions for current users:

1. Does FG fully integrated the options available from the entire PFRPG line (at least Paizo material) in a way that's easy to incorporate into the game?

2. How difficult is it to create variant abilities/mechanics within the software? (Example: We like the Unchained 'Spell Attack Roll' variant. Is this already an available option within the software, or is it relatively simple to create a new attack option and defense score to add to all characters?)

Thanks in advance for any information!

Talyn
January 9th, 2017, 19:24
Right this moment, only the included PRD material is available, though in the PFRPG forums several community members have also made a lot of additional rule modules and other source material.

However, Paizo just signed a licensing agreement to have official Pathfinder material here which should start arriving later this month if all goes well. That said, there are 8 or so years worth of Pathfinder material so it's going to be awhile before all of it is on Fantasy Grounds.

I haven't gotten too advanced into building custom attacks or spells, but between adding effects and the combat parser, I've gotten by ok. Fingers are crossed that with official licensing now, the ruleset might get a few more features someday but it handles quite a bit as-is.

darthgator
January 9th, 2017, 20:23
Thanks, Talyn.

I read about the agreement with Paizo, so that's promising. I suppose it depends on how FG decides to release non-PFSRD material as to when Unchained rules will be available. I would hope they'd work through the hardback/primary books before hitting the paperbacks, but I'd guess even then Unchained is going to come after Bestiaries, Ultimates, and Campaign Setting.

I'll check out the PFRPG forums to see what others have worked up.

Trenloe
January 9th, 2017, 20:35
Welcome to the forums darthgator.

Short answer is that you'll never get every possible nuance of Pathfinder covered but automation. But, Fantasy Grounds is very flexible and aims to provide approx. 80% of functionality via the interface (direct or through use of effects, actions, etc.). The rest can be done if you have some coding knowledge and spend a little time getting used to how FG does stuff in XML and LUA.

I'm not familiar with the spell attack roll, but you could certainly set up an action in a character sheet to roll with the relevant modifiers, but it might not be able to report hit/miss without a it of coding, but you certainly should be able to set the attack up ok.

Mirloc
January 12th, 2017, 19:26
I have to say, I have never been disappointed in FG for gaming.

Frankly, too much automation I think takes something away from the gaming aspect, in person you have to do all of the calculations yourself anyway.

I typically use FG as an extended tabletop. Battle maps, handouts, general character creation and support, and the best way to send information to a single player. I will admit I love using things like special fonts for languages (and if you aren't start - it really does help to empower a character who speaks some obscure language), and everyone loves playing with the dice.

Players love the figurines, and the character portraits. I've run games with the most basic of rulesets and I've run games with high levels of automation, and really having the ruleset-light version allows you to make the changes you want, houserules are easily handled and how many people don't have a houserule or two at their tables?