PDA

View Full Version : Discord?

mhorgunn
January 9th, 2017, 10:43
We are currently using Google hangouts for our communication in our games. I was pushed to use Discord when I just started to support Geo Quester on Patreon.

Does anyone use this program? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Talyn
January 9th, 2017, 13:37
I use Discord all the time, almost exclusively unless someone forces me to use older VOIP like Teamspeak or Ventrilo. Works great, lot of things you can do with it, not to mention having the chat channels is awesome. I dunno if Hangouts has improved their bandwidth but the one time I tried to do an RPG there with video for... I think it was 6 of us total, it brought my PC to its knees and I had to forcibly close the browser to regain control of anything. So I haven't gone back because of that except for one-on-one Hangouts with a couple friends. No group Hangouts for me.

Hurske
January 9th, 2017, 14:02
I use discord exclusively for my sessions now, I prefer it to Teamspeak for the reason that I can upload pictures and chat very easy with players, leave announcements for my own games and what not, I have never had any issues with connecting. All in all, I think this is the best tool I have ever used for talking with my players.

mhorgunn
January 9th, 2017, 18:47
I know this is a duh statement ... because all of us have to watch our bandwidth ... but we really do! Two of our players are on the same wifi and one is just within range. When we were two we had the luxury of Google video calling. Time to tighten our belts.

Thanks! Maybe next game we will give this a try.

Answulf
January 9th, 2017, 20:20
I use Discord exclusively as well. Our group has tested every major option - Skype, the FG Teamspeak server, Goggle Hangouts and Discord - and we have settled on Discord as the most reliable, the best quality and it has nice features.

Demonhart
January 9th, 2017, 21:51
Just started using discord, skype was too resource heavy. I love it. Also, later this year they are introducing video chat and screen sharing, so that opens up even more options

mhorgunn
January 9th, 2017, 23:04
Just had a quick test with one of my players and we saw a dramatic difference in the data flow. Can't wait for game night!

mhorgunn
January 11th, 2017, 04:08
So after a little fumbling around adjusting speakers, we got discord up and running. With this, Fantasy Grounds was running like a champ!

I guess old dogs CAN learn new tricks!!!

LordEntrails
January 11th, 2017, 04:14
I guess old dogs CAN learn new tricks!!!
Woof! Woof!

mhorgunn
January 11th, 2017, 18:57
woof! Woof!

lol