PDA

View Full Version : AD&D Ruleset

vodokar
January 9th, 2017, 04:01
Version History
AD&D Ruleset Version 1.0.0 - Release 1/8/2017.
Version 1.1.0 - Released 1/11/2017
Version 1.2.0 - Released 1/12/2017
Version 1.2.1 - Released 1/12/2017
Version 1.2.2 - Released 1/18/2017
Version 1.2.3 - Released 1/25/2017
Version 1.2.4 - Released 1/30/2017
Version 1.3.0 - Released 2/8/2017
Version 1.3.1 - Released 2/16/2017
Version 1.3.2 - Released 2/17/2017
Version 1.3.3 - Released 2/27/2017
Version 1.3.4 - Released 4/12/2017
Version 1.3.5 - Released 4/21/2017
Version 1.3.6 - Released 4/27/2017
Version 1.3.7 - Released 5/10/2017 - Current Version

Changelog
Version 1.0.0
initial release

Version 1.1.0
New Feature: Multi-Classing for Thief Skills and Cleric Turning now auto-populates the appropriate numbers when using Class and Level fields for 2nd and 3rd class.
Bug Fix: Tooltips for Cleric Turning were not displaying the proper information for definition of Turn Numbers. [Fixed]
Bug Fix: Not all sidebar buttons were displaying properly; namely ones in the library that normally don't display in gm mode. [Fixed] Thanks Damned.

Version 1.2.0
New Feature: Initiative now has the option of using d6, d10, d20 or d100. New is the d6 option.
New Feature: Encumbrance System now adds a bonus of between 2 to 6 EV onto Encumbrance Rating if your primary strength score is 18 and secondary strength score between 0 and 100.
Bug Fix: Encumbrance Rating was not calculating. [Fixed]
Bug Fix: Weapon Proficiency list was incorrectly sharing data with Language list. [Fixed]

Version 1.2.1
New Feature: NPC Sheet now has 3 values for AC. C&C AC, AAC, and DAC. AAC and DAC are tied together i.e. changing one, changes the other. C&C AC is the field that the C&C Creatures and Treasures Manual populates. If AAC and DAC are left blank, C&C AC is used. Filling in AAC and DAC results in DAC value being used.
Bug Fix: Moved some items on the combat tab of the character sheet for cosmetic reasons.

Version 1.2.2
Fixes to make compatible with FG 3.2.2.

Version 1.2.3
Bug Fix: d100 in die selector menu was displaying incorrect graphic due to conflict in naming of graphic icons. [Fixed]
Bug Fix: npc's that were class based characters were incorrectly still adding the BTH value to their attacks. This was a carryover from the base C&C ruleset. [Fixed]
Bug Fix: automatic initiative rolling in the combat tracker was not using the d6 value to roll initiative even though option chosen in options manager. [Fixed]

Version 1.2.4
Bug Fix: Surprise Check was not including modifier properly for determining outcome. [Fixed]
New Feature: Saving Throws number for "Wand, Staff or Rod" and for "Spell" now check race and automatically adjust the saving throw number for those races this applies to: Dwarf, Gnome and Halfling.
New Feature: Scrollable Text Box added for Racial Bonuses on the Abilities Tab.

Version 1.3.0
New Feature: Full Support for Multi-Classing. Up to 3 classes of varying levels fully supported for both fully automated combat reporting and saving throw auto-population.
Cosmetic Fixes: Adjusted positioning of "Token" and "Library" sidebar buttons on lower dock. Cleaned up dragon desktop decal a bit more.

Version 1.3.1
New Feature: Added Exceptional Strength to NPC Sheet
New Feature: NPC Ability Scores now roll Ability Checks and report Success or Failure
New Feature: Characters and NPC's with Exceptional Strength above 18 (50) now get a bonus of having their Ability Score Checks compare for success vs. 19 vice 18.
New Feature: Spell Sheet now has a field for Area of Effect
New Feature: Added 2 new fields to NPC Sheet to allow separate values from C&C for AD&D exp and AD&D Treasure.

Version 1.3.2
Bug Fix: Area of Effect not being transferred when dragging and dropping a spell onto the character sheet. [Fixed]

Version 1.3.3
12 Wisdom should be +5% not +1% for SpF [Fixed]
7 Charisma > -5% not -1% for Reaction [Fixed]
8 Charisma > -5% not -1% for Loyalty [Fixed]
13 Charisma > +5% not +1% for Reaction [Fixed]
14 Charisma > +5% not +1% for Loyalty [Fixed]
Initiative field inside Combat tab not rolling [Fixed]
[New Feature] Added 1 new field to NPC Sheet to allow separate value from C&C for AD&D Movement Rates.

Version 1.3.4
[New Feature] Damage Field added to Spells on Spells Tab and Spells Minisheet.
This feature now allows:
a) double click rolling of spell damage to the chat window, from which it can be dragged and dropped onto token or combat tracker
b) drag dice directly from Spell on Spells Tab or Spells Minisheet and drop onto token or combat tracker

Version 1.3.5
Spell Damage Fields on Spell Minisheet not aligning properly due to floating anchor. [Fixed]
Refinements to the npc sheet functionality (hiding of blank fields on locking record etc).
[New Feature] Saving Throws on npc sheet for NPC Monster and NPC Character. Auto-calculation and population of these saving throw fields. Linkage to Combat Tracker for these saving throw fields. Saving Throws rollable from npc sheet and from combat tracker. Success/Failure reported.
[New Feature] Multi-Class functionality added to NPC Characters for both Saving Throw calculation and Combat. Two extra class and level fields added which hide away when record locked if not used.
[New Feature] Race also used for calculation of saving throws for NPC characters.
[New Feature] Saving Throws calculated for NPC Monsters based on Hit Die String n (dn+n). Hit Die determines base save. Bonus hit points improve save in increments of 4 hps per DMG. Save As field also modifies saving throw. Options for Save As field are: leaving it blank (which means the monster will default to saving as a fighter), "cleric", "thief", "magic-user" and "house". If you put "house" in the Save As field, the values of the saving throws will clear and the auto-population script will be skipped. Other values tell the script to use saving throws other than for fighter.
[New Feature] Saving Throws calculated for NPC Characters based on Race, Three different Class fields, Three different level fields and Save As field. As above with NPC Monster saving throws, putting "house" in the Save As field will zero out the saving throws and over ride the auto-population functionality. No other option is needed in the Save As field for NPC Characters; just leave it blank otherwise and everything will calculate for you.
[New Feature] Character Attributes on NPC Character Sheet now actually calculate bonuses for Strength, Exceptional Strength, Dexterity and Constitution. Strength and Exceptional Strength add to Melee attack and damage rolls automatically. Dexterity adds to ranged attacks automatically. Constitution is used automatically in some saving throw calculations.
[New Feature] Ability to designate ranged attacks in the NPC attack string. Put an R in front of the attack string. example. Longbow +1 (1d6+1) would be parsed as a melee attack, but R Longbow +1 (1d6+1) will be parsed as a ranged attack and utilize the Dexterity Bonus for ranged attack vice the Strength and Exceptional Strength melee attack and damage bonus.

Version 1.3.6
Bug Fix: Script Error when making melee or ranged attacks with NPC Monsters. [Fixed]
Bug Fix: Script Error when making damage rolls with NPC Monsters. [Fixed]

Had forgotten to give default values for strength and dexterity so that the value would not be nil for NPC Monsters, which don't have attributes.

Version 1.3.7
{New Feature] Damage Type Field added to Weapons and Spells

I wanted to take a moment to share my vision.

When I saw the last couple of years breakdowns for games played on Fantasy Grounds each month, I noticed the category of "older D&D" rulesets. To most, 1500 to 2000 games per year is very small compared to the numbers for 5e.

To me, I saw that number, and I said to myself, self, for older games which haven't ever had a commercial ruleset, community ruleset that was ever fully featured or kept up-to-date (in some cases, barely functional) and never had any type of commercial support by way of released adventure modules (even though there are huge stacks of pen-and-paper support by 3rd party companies that could be converted), that is one heck of a lot of people that still to this day have so much passion for a 38 year old game. So much passion that they would use old barely functional rulesets, cobble something together in corerpg or other means, and that's not even to mention the community still out there playing over Google+, around the table etc. I wondered. What if there was a really good ruleset. What if it were not only functional, but had some of the modern bells and whistles. What if it were followed on by some really good commercial adventure modules. What if?

That is how we arrived at this point. I followed a hunch and a dream. I poured heart and soul into the game that means so much to me and has given me so much. Only you can determine the fate of this grand old game. Shall it last another 38 years? Please enjoy it as "The Master of the Game" intended. All over Greyhawk, I hear goblins sharpening their blades and insane mages giggling over their dungeon traps.

Keep a look out in the coming weeks and months for professionally made adventure modules supporting this ruleset.

Please leave bug reports, feature requests and comments. Also, please do consider making a voluntary donation for my hard work and to support future projects.

Thank you.

Vodokar

taoistpunk
January 9th, 2017, 04:08
Just....thank you.

vodokar
January 9th, 2017, 04:26
You are welcome. Game on!

One thing I forgot to mention in my excitement. This ruleset was built upon the Castles and Crusades ruleset. This creates a dependency. Thus, you will have to purchase and install that ruleset, if you don't already own it, in order for AD&D to work.

The benefit of this is that you have access to the C&C bestiary, spell lists, equipment lists etc in the AD&D ruleset, as well as, any adventure material that has been released for C&C in the past and in the future.

You may get that ruleset here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?sys=-1&pub=9&typ=1&search=&sort=1

Still one heck of a deal. Two rulesets plus manuals for total cost of $10.

taoistpunk
January 9th, 2017, 12:20
Wow!! This is genius...since none of the official books are avail this fills a huge gap, and lets me start playing almost immediately.

hawkwind
January 9th, 2017, 12:21
just downloaded it and had a quick play and first I have to say how much i appreciate the hard work you have put into this

first query i assume you haven't worked out a way of doing percentile strength?

I created some characters and added some orcs to the combat tracker and went to add a map and i couldn't navigate back to my images folder. I started a new campaign and couldn't reproduce the error

Also on this screen the spells tab was only showing spells from the crusaders companion and none from the maim C&C rule book

damned
January 9th, 2017, 13:54
vodokar do not be distressed when bug reports start coming in... there will be many for a new ruleset :)

Im seeing all spells etc but many of my monsters are not displaying their tokens... possibly all of them are not. Those that dont have tokens are displaying the letter but those with tokens are not showing them.

vodokar
January 9th, 2017, 23:45
just downloaded it and had a quick play and first I have to say how much i appreciate the hard work you have put into this

first query i assume you haven't worked out a way of doing percentile strength?

I created some characters and added some orcs to the combat tracker and went to add a map and i couldn't navigate back to my images folder. I started a new campaign and couldn't reproduce the error

Also on this screen the spells tab was only showing spells from the crusaders companion and none from the maim C&C rule book

Characters do have percentile strength. It is the box next to the main strength score; it is fully functional. I have not added it to the npc sheet. That should be doable. Will add it to the feature request list.

I have to admit that I actually only tested loading of the C&C Monsters and Treasure and Player's Handbook, as those are the only ones I currently own (the ones that come with the C&C ruleset purchase). There should not be any reason that any and all C&C manuals, adventures etc. that you own can not be used in this ruleset, however. Please let me know if there are any issues with this. I might have to purchase some of those other books and such and test them to make sure I've covered all the technical bases.

Regarding navigating to your image folder. I just tried it. I am able to do so.

vodokar
January 9th, 2017, 23:48
vodokar do not be distressed when bug reports start coming in... there will be many for a new ruleset :)

Im seeing all spells etc but many of my monsters are not displaying their tokens... possibly all of them are not. Those that dont have tokens are displaying the letter but those with tokens are not showing them.

I will look into the token issue. I noticed that also that there were not tokens displaying in the bestiary. I am not a regular C&C player (yet), so I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. I will have to spend some time in the actual C&C ruleset investigating to see if there is something that isn't coming over to the AD&D ruleset that should be.

taoistpunk
January 10th, 2017, 12:34
I know that multiclassing is something you are looking into for future releases, and maybe not the highest priority, but is there a way to adjust the class fields so that if thief or cleric is added to either the 2nd or 3rd field space that the proper numbers will populate in abilities/turning as necessary. Those ability fields can't be manually populated, and I know that alot of my players will be looking for some sort of multiclass characters.

We play alot of CnC so this is simply done with skill check rolls and not against tables in that ruleset.

BTW...layering on top of the CnC ruleset is working great for me. Allowed me to start building an adventure immediately! Looking to start playing as soon as I have some structure, so thanks again for building this!

Zeus
January 10th, 2017, 13:14
Nice work Vodokar, I shall give this a whirl with my oldies group ;)

vodokar
January 11th, 2017, 00:12
I know that multiclassing is something you are looking into for future releases, and maybe not the highest priority, but is there a way to adjust the class fields so that if thief or cleric is added to either the 2nd or 3rd field space that the proper numbers will populate in abilities/turning as necessary. Those ability fields can't be manually populated, and I know that alot of my players will be looking for some sort of multiclass characters.

We play alot of CnC so this is simply done with skill check rolls and not against tables in that ruleset.

BTW...layering on top of the CnC ruleset is working great for me. Allowed me to start building an adventure immediately! Looking to start playing as soon as I have some structure, so thanks again for building this!

While the full rollout of multiclassing (including automatic combat adjustment and saving throw adjustment) is still a ways out (you wouldn't believe how complex the code can get when you have to account for all those variables), I believe that I can get the thieves' skills and cleric turns modified to check for the 2nd and 3rd class sooner. Good catch on that -- I had actually forgotten all about those.

In the mean time, you can manually populate them by holding down the control key and using your mouse wheel, which populates the mini-modifier field to make the adjustment.

vodokar
January 11th, 2017, 00:16
Nice work Vodokar, I shall give this a whirl with my oldies group ;)

Zeus, coming from you, that is a great compliment and greatly appreciated. By your example, you were the one the one's that inspired me to get involved more in the community and do more. So, thank you for that.

vodokar
January 11th, 2017, 00:44

I logged into the C&C ruleset last night to check out the "normal" behavior of the Creatures and Treasures manual with respect to populating the tokens in the npc sheets. They are not displaying there either. So, either the creator of that module did not populate them or there is some error in the C&C ruleset that got carried over to the AD&D ruleset with respect to this. Likely nothing I will be able to do to fix this issue since it originates in the parent ruleset and module.

damned
January 11th, 2017, 00:49
Ill log it over in the 3.2.2 thread for MW to look at.

Edit: also check your email.

vodokar
January 11th, 2017, 06:00
Version 1.1.0 Released - see Post #1.

Version 1.1.0
New Feature: Multi-Classing for Thief Skills and Cleric Turning now auto-populates the appropriate numbers when using Class and Level fields for 2nd and 3rd class.
Bug Fix: Tooltips for Cleric Turning were not displaying the proper information for definition of Turn Numbers. [Fixed]
Bug Fix: Not all sidebar buttons were displaying properly; namely ones in the library that normally don't display in gm mode. [Fixed] Thanks Damned.

Still on the Feature Request List:

Making Multi-Classing work with saving throw population and combat tables.
Adding Secondary (percentile) Strength to NPC sheet of monsters and npcs.

Possible addition:

Adding a box on the npc sheet for descending AC. Currently, there is only one box. It doesn't matter if you enter AC as Ascending or Descending, as the ruleset engine knows to interpret either one. In order to maintain backwards compatibility of any future AD&D adventure modules with the C&C ruleset, I will be entering npc's as Ascending AC, but thought it would be nice to have a second box that showed the corresponding Descending Value also. A nice, though not totally necessary feature.

JohnD
January 11th, 2017, 06:56
Great work so far!

taoistpunk
January 11th, 2017, 14:25
Wow..thanks for the quick work on those field adjustments! Now the Fighter/Thief I KNOW someone will be playing will be easier to track.

Vackipleur
January 11th, 2017, 20:47
It's nice !

But just one thing, initiative seems set on a d10 dice like in C&C. But in AD&D you must roll a d6...
Surprise roll is ok but not initiative roll.

Thanks.

EDIT: and the Languages and the Weapon Proficiency are bound together...
And you use the Encumbrance rule from C&C...

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 00:08
1. Initiative currently has 3 options: d10, d20 or d100 (which were the existing options from C&C). I'll see if I can add in a d6 option, but didn't feel it was a priority item at the time.
2. I'll look at the weapon proficiency. Likely I made a simple mistake that should be easy to fix.
3. I do use the C&C Encumbrance - as that gave compatibility with the equipment from the C&C manual, but am investigating a way do a conversion to the AD&D gold piece encumbrance system.

Those things are now on my list.

damned
January 12th, 2017, 00:18
It's nice !

But just one thing, initiative seems set on a d10 dice like in C&C. But in AD&D you must roll a d6...
Surprise roll is ok but not initiative roll.

Thanks.

EDIT: and the Languages and the Weapon Proficiency are bound together...
And you use the Encumbrance rule from C&C...

There will likely be lots of Castles&Crusades pieces found. Building it on C&C means that you have immediately access to a full MM and Equipment and Spells so its definitely worth the trade off.

taoistpunk
January 12th, 2017, 00:21
Yeah..encumbrance seems a bit off. with a total point of 1 I am currently overburdened, so the thresholds are off kilter. Add it to the list! :)

I'm still having a blast playing around with it. Trying to 'break' it a bit so you have some time to initiate some repairs. I'd hate to find a big bug mid-game

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 00:36
Yeah..encumbrance seems a bit off. with a total point of 1 I am currently overburdened, so the thresholds are off kilter. Add it to the list! :)

I'm still having a blast playing around with it. Trying to 'break' it a bit so you have some time to initiate some repairs. I'd hate to find a big bug mid-game

I'll take a closer look at encumbrance. That seems odd though, as I didn't touch the encumbrance code at all. It should be working the same as in C&C.

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 02:30
"EDIT: and the Languages and the Weapon Proficiency are bound together..."

I was able to fix Weapon Proficiency. Had to slightly modify how it works, but believe this will do the trick. 17399

Have some other issues to address, then will get this update out later tonight or tommorrow.

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 02:33

Wow, you are right. Not sure yet what happened here yet. Digging into it. It isn't pulling the Encumbrance Rating at all.

*****Time Warp ******

I have returned from the future -- one in which this issue has been fixed. It is now (or should I say, it was working in the future I just came from) working.

This is what I witnessed.

This future me decided that it was too important to keep the EV system in place in order to maintain compatibility with C&C resources, however, made a compromise by hooking in secondary strength as an input to give bonuses to Encumbrance Rating.

Thus, Encumbrance Rating for characters will range from 3 to 18 for primary strength score and up to +6 added to that for your secondary strength score, if your primary strength score is 18, hence a max attainable Encumbrance Rating of 24.

See how that feels. Now that the structure is in place, the numbers can very easily be adjusted.

Regarding the actual translation of gold piece weight to EV; that is nebulous. Best estimate I can give is that in AD&D, a strength 9 has "normal" weight allowance, which in the movement section states is about 70 pounds, which equates to 700 gp. Thus, we might assume that EV 9 would be 700 gp. No matter how you look at it though, there is not going to be a neat mathematical progression that you could easily use to translate back and forth. DM will simply have to use their judgment on this. Most items have equivalents in both systems, so if you have a new item and are trying to assign a weight, you have both books to look at and make a judgement.

Wish I could come up with a cleaner and more faithful system for this, but the technical difficulty pulling that code apart would likely be beyond my ability at this point, nor does it seem worth the time it would take.

The important thing is that I have the system working now.

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 05:50
Version 1.2.0 ready.

Version 1.2.0
New Feature: Initiative now has the option of using d6, d10, d20 or d100. New is the d6 option.
New Feature: Encumbrance System now adds a bonus of between 2 to 6 EV onto Encumbrance Rating if your primary strength score is 18 and secondary strength score between 0 and 100.
Bug Fix: Weapon Proficiency list was incorrectly sharing data with Language list. [Fixed]

Asterionaisien
January 12th, 2017, 08:18
Wow...really thank you!!! Why is the ruleset not still stickied in the wiki? for sure it deserve that place!!
I downoladed it and works very well for what I could see, also i can use it for AD&D 2ed too, given the fact they are 90% compatible.

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 08:36
Wow...really thank you!!! Why is the ruleset not still stickied in the wiki? for sure it deserve that place!!
I downoladed it and works very well for what I could see, also i can use it for AD&D 2ed too, given the fact they are 90% compatible.

You are welcome.

This is a brand new ruleset. The old ruleset was obsolete and authored by someone else that I don't think has been around for years. As for why this one isn't on the wiki, well, it's only been out for a couple of days. Perhaps someone will take care of that soon enough.

I have never played 2e, but might be able to add some features to make it even more compatible, if people advise me on what is needed to do so. I don't plan to do that soon, however. I'm currently working on our first adventure module. Then will come ensuring the ruleset works with 3.2.2. After I'm sure everything is stable, I will look at making some additions like that.

Vackipleur
January 12th, 2017, 09:01
Version 1.2.0 ready.

Version 1.2.0

Thank you ! I like your reactivity :)

Some suggestions:

- ruleset is always named v1.1.0 :)
- on Combat panel, Initiative field seems broken. You can modify the Surprise field but not the Initiative field (but maybe is normal).
- still on Combat panel, is it possible to lower the whole AC field, please ? It's "stuck" to the Surprise / Initiative field (it's very cosmetic :). Maybe to align "Armor Bonus" with "Melee" on the right column. You have normally enough space between "Tch" score and "SR".
- and I think it lacks a panel to write racial abilities...

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 09:40
Good suggestions. Especially about the panel for racial abilities. Hadn't thought of that, but should be able to do something for it.

I'll take a look at the Initiative field. It is intended to be able to put in a modifier.

As for moving the AC frame, that also could be done. It is currently in the same place that it was in C&C, but I squeezed in the surprise field in between, so that decreased the space between the initiative frame and the ac frame.

Asterionaisien
January 12th, 2017, 09:45
You are welcome.

This is a brand new ruleset. The old ruleset was obsolete and authored by someone else that I don't think has been around for years. As for why this one isn't on the wiki, well, it's only been out for a couple of days. Perhaps someone will take care of that soon enough.

I have never played 2e, but might be able to add some features to make it even more compatible, if people advise me on what is needed to do so. I don't plan to do that soon, however. I'm currently working on our first adventure module. Then will come ensuring the ruleset works with 3.2.2. After I'm sure everything is stable, I will look at making some additions like that.

Yeah, stability comes first, no use into developing or adding features to something that could break easily.

damned
January 12th, 2017, 13:38
You are welcome.

Write me a brief description of the ruleset features and Ill trya nd make some time to update it into the Wiki. Need to do some updates for DCC and also add MoreCore at some point too.

Vackipleur
January 12th, 2017, 15:50
Good suggestions. Especially about the panel for racial abilities. Hadn't thought of that, but should be able to do something for it.

Thank you. A racial and a class (too) abilities panel, in fact. Or make a 2-in-1 panel like in the old Labyrinth Lord ruleset to switch between the racial / class abilities and the Weapon Prof. / Turn Undead / Thief Skill.

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 18:49
Sounds intriguing. I don't know how to do that 2-in-1 technique yet. I'll do some investigation. As for what would be on the Racial and Class abilities page, I think it only needs some text boxes to fill in, so it will likely look similar to the notes page. However, I'll take a scan thru the classes again to see if there is anything that sticks out as needing a more powerful treatment like the thief skills and cleric turning did.

I am going to have to freeze the code for right now. I'm nervous about the timing of 3.22 coming out. Currently the ruleset breaks under 3.22. One of my more experienced colleagues is going to help me with that, so I need to stop and not keep changing things before he gets a chance to look at it.

I'm definitely logging down all suggestions, however, and will look to try to implement them after the 3.22 compatibility pass.

In the mean time, I'll give a sneak peak on what I'm currently working on: 17414. We haven't gotten an agreement in place yet, so there is no guarantee it will see the light of day. I am very confident it will work out though, as I've already exchanged words with the publisher about it.

Talyn
January 12th, 2017, 21:00
Make sure you have Doug and/or James handle contacting the publisher!

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 21:29
Yes, already spoke to Doug about it. He told me to go ahead and finish the work, then he would handle the negotiations from there when he had a finished product in hand.

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 23:53
Version 1.2.1 released.

Version 1.2.1
New Feature: NPC Sheet now has 3 values for AC. C&C AC, AAC, and DAC. AAC and DAC are tied together i.e. changing one, changes the other. C&C AC is the field that the C&C Creatures and Treasures Manual populates. If AAC and DAC are left blank, C&C AC is used. Filling in AAC and DAC results in DAC value being used.
Bug Fix: Moved some items on the combat tab of the character sheet for cosmetic reasons.

The value that C&C resources (manuals, adventure modules etc) fill in is the C&C AC value. The AAC and DAC values will be blank. The purpose of the C&C AC field is to maintain cross-compatibility with the C&C ruleset.

If you enter new npc's and monsters and want to do so using AD&D descending AC value, put the value into the DAC field. You can leave the C&C AC field blank, if you want, or fill it in if you are making a module you want to be compatible with C&C also. The AAC field will automatically populate when you enter the DAC field value (or vice versa), saving you the step of doing the math.

For combat purposes, the value of DAC is used, unless AAC and DAC are not filled in, in which case, the engine pulls the value in the C&C AC field.

Ok. The code is now frozen until after 3.2.2. release. Any feature and bug requests will be noted, but not acted upon until after compatibility testing with 3.2.2.

Thanks,

Vodokar

quux
January 16th, 2017, 07:56
Thank you, this has been a God send. to me and my small group. well done.

vodokar
January 18th, 2017, 21:50
Version 1.2.2 is ready. This is the update to make it compatible with FG 3.2.2.

taoistpunk
January 18th, 2017, 22:13
WooHoo!! Game on! Will install when I get home

Zhern
January 19th, 2017, 03:35
I did want to thank you again for putting this together. I had a blast tonight playing AD&D for the first time in YEARS!

I didn't go through every response to the original post, and I hope you don't mind, but I would like to put together a small list of possible enhancements:
Racial bonuses for thieving skills
Racial bonuses for saves

Thanks again for this ruleset. I truly appreciate it!

vodokar
January 19th, 2017, 05:29
Thanks. It means a lot coming from a fellow community developer.

While we are at it, we'll throw in the racial attribute bonuses. I don't know if I could actually tie it in to auto-adjust the associated skills, saves and bonuses (and likely not necessary, as that is what the mini-modifiers are for), but at least a frame to list them would be a good idea. I don't know where I would squeeze that in, yet. Perhaps some space on the ability tab is still available; not sitting here looking at it at the moment, but seems that there was some space still left there.

That is one possibility, or perhaps I could just set up a data handler to watch the race field and feed that into the calculation of the numbers.

Also need to look at the initiative system again. Obviously missed the combat tracker part of it.

And change the name of the percent.png. How bizarre was that. My son actually noticed it last night, but I didn't have any time to fix it.

Anything else we noticed?

taoistpunk
January 19th, 2017, 12:23
I noticed that...

I had a great time!!!!

I will make sure I get some effects in there for next week.

vodokar
January 25th, 2017, 06:51
Version 1.2.3
Bug Fix: d100 in die selector menu was displaying incorrect graphic due to conflict in naming of graphic icons. [Fixed]
Bug Fix: npc's that were class based characters were incorrectly still adding the BTH value to their attacks. This was a carryover from the base C&C ruleset. [Fixed]
Bug Fix: automatic initiative rolling in the combat tracker was not using the d6 value to roll initiative even though option chosen in options manager. [Fixed]

Took a while to track down the initiative thing, following the bread crumbs back. But, I learned some more about how the combat tracker works.

No new features yet. Likely will look at adding some this weekend, if I can.

taoistpunk
January 25th, 2017, 12:41
Hey Vodokar...

I was trying to add some effects, starting with Bless, but I cannot get it to function. Can you take a look?

Thanks

damned
January 25th, 2017, 12:55
Hey Vodokar...

I was trying to add some effects, starting with Bless, but I cannot get it to function. Can you take a look?

Thanks

Just quietly... I doubt effects have been programmed.... thats a lot more work again...

taoistpunk
January 25th, 2017, 12:58
Just quietly... I doubt effects have been programmed.... thats a lot more work again...

Aaahhh....I think I just assumed since it was sitting on top of CnC that it might work...ah well...everyone will just need to do some manual modifiers

No biggie

Andraax
January 25th, 2017, 13:23
Seems to work for me. Probably not all effects will work, depending on what Vodokar has changed in the DB, but some of them do.

taoistpunk
January 25th, 2017, 13:53
Seems to work for me. Probably not all effects will work, depending on what Vodokar has changed in the DB, but some of them do.

OK then..must be me...lemme go back and look at what i did after work today. ugh

vodokar
January 25th, 2017, 19:44
I didn't change anything with regards to effects, on purpose anyways, so it should support whatever C&C did.

taoistpunk
January 25th, 2017, 23:32
I didn't change anything with regards to effects, on purpose anyways, so it should support whatever C&C did.

it was all me...been so long since I've built an effect from scratch I neglected the :

Bless is in effect...literally!

vodokar
January 25th, 2017, 23:44
All Praise Bahamut!

vodokar
January 29th, 2017, 03:47
Our very first AD&D adventure module is out of my hot little hands and has been sent to Smiteworks this night.

This is also good news for the C&C folks; because I made sure everything was compatible with that system. Included with it are versions of pregenerated characters for both AD&D and C&C. Everything is compatible, though C&C folks might want to ignore some of the treasure as it is likely tuned for a higher treasure and magic gain than they are used to.

I didn't get to doing any additions to the ruleset yet. That is next on my to-do list. I did fix one bug I found with the surprise system. I'll likely wait to roll that out with the additions, however.

Zhern
January 29th, 2017, 05:17
Nice job! Which module?

I've been a complete slack this weekend and haven't worked on S&W. But then again, I've mostly slept since Friday thanks to this stupid sinus infection. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a chance to work on it.

vodokar
January 29th, 2017, 06:15
The Villains of the Undercity by Mark Taramino of Maximum Mayhem Games.

Asterionaisien
January 29th, 2017, 08:40
Vodokar, have you considered to sell it on drivethrurpg too? That way your work could reach a even more wider public.

vodokar
January 29th, 2017, 11:22
I am not the author of the module, just the converter to Fantasy Grounds.

Zhern
January 29th, 2017, 12:00
Nice, I'm looking forward to his latest, Vault of the Dwarven King.

vodokar
January 30th, 2017, 00:15
Yeah. I am planning to convert all four; though probably not right away. I thought I would get another series started also. I'm thinking maybe something from Frog Gods such as Splinters of Faith or I also have Castle of the Mad Archmage. If I do the mega-dungeon, I'll break it up into modules of 2 levels each and serialize it, so it doesn't take forever to get something in the store and to ease the cost for people. That way, if they only want a couple levels to drop into their world, they can do that or they can collect all of it and run it as the mega-dungeon.

vodokar
January 30th, 2017, 05:49
Version 1.2.4
Bug Fix: Surprise Check was not including modifier properly for determining outcome. [Fixed]
New Feature: Saving Throws number for "Wand, Staff or Rod" and for "Spell" now check race and automatically adjust the saving throw number for those races this applies to: Dwarf, Gnome and Halfling.
New Feature: Scrollable Text Box added for Racial Bonuses on the Abilities Tab.

Notes:

Because of the fact that the Poison Save is part of the Paralyzation, Poison and Death Magic Save vice being a separate saving throw, there is no way to automate the Dwarves resistance to poison bonus; that will still need to be done manually.

Also, the ability score bonuses for race were not able to be automated so that they would work properly. Very messy business. Don't really think it's possible. Maybe will be able to think of a technique that works down the line, if it is. But, I doubt it. Probably not so important, since it is only done upon character creation.

Racial Bonuses Text Box is where you put all of your racial related characteristics and bonuses.

Still haven't figured out how to get the token and library buttons in the right place.

Other than that, are there any features outstanding that are needed?

Zhern
January 30th, 2017, 13:00
It should be possible to apply the bonus for poison depending on the effect being applied. You would have to add traits to the effect that specifically trigger the bonus application though. For instance, an NPC casts hold person on a dwarf - the dwarf has a +2 to poison but the saving throw is lumped under PPDM and the bonus wouldn't apply. Check the characteristic of the spell or effect, if it is != poison, don't apply, if == poison, apply the bonus. Is that what you mean? It would require some work on effects but it could be done but it really isn't a very important feature at the moment. Maybe as the ruleset matures, though.

When you say the ability score bonuses for race aren't able to be automated, you mean factoring in say a +1 to CON if the character is a dwarf? Or did you mean something else? It is early and I haven't had enough coffee so want to make sure I'm understanding it.

leozelig
January 30th, 2017, 17:41
Leave the poison save bonus separate. Same for racial bonuses to ability scores.

I would suggest either getting multi-class functions working, or avoid auto-calculations tied to class. Spells are labeled according to the first class which isn't a huge deal. The 3.5E ruleset is coded for multiple classes, but it would take some effort to get it working. This is a good example of whether the problems created by automating things like saves and "to hit" tables are worth all the extra work to fix. It's minimal effort to enter them manually.

Asterionaisien
January 30th, 2017, 19:57
I have no skills into programming, but wouldn't be easier to just separate all the saving throws? for example death has its own space, poison another, paralisys another one, etc. This way everything cam be automated and eventually all the strange monsters, races, and classes can be done without too much hassle.
But i admit I have no Idea how much work could be involved to do this solution..

vodokar
January 30th, 2017, 23:53
It is easy to separate them, but, that would not be faithful to the design of the AD&D game; which was a design goal. Also, there isn't room to fit more saving throws, anyhow.

But, I have already figured out a solution for the poison saving throws, however. There is room to place a modifier box right beside the Paralyzation, Poison and Death Magic Saving Throw box. This box will simply fill in a number between 0 and -5 depending on the Dwarf's Constitution score. It will be double clickable and roll d20 - the modifier vs the saving throw target number. Only Dwarves would have any modifier number in the box other than 0, and in fact, I can set it to turn blank if it isn't a Dwarf, so everyone else would simply use the normal saving throw box. I'll double check, but I think it is only Dwarves that get that.

Racial Bonuses to ability scores should be left for manual adjustment, because it is very messy business when you start trying to modify the raw attribute scores. Had some very weird results happen when I was monkeying around with that. Not a good idea.

Yes, completing the multi-classing functions are next on my list. I'll try to get that ready for next week's update.

vodokar
January 30th, 2017, 23:57
Yes, Zhern, that is exactly what I meant. The ability adjustments that you do upon character creation. It's only done once in the lifetime of the character, hence, not worth the headaches trying to automate something like that. I played around with it for a couple of hours and got all sorts of weird results; so just backed out of it.

LordEntrails
January 31st, 2017, 00:35
Just to comment, not to discourage you, but AD&D magic items have more exceptions than probably any other edition. So, you can solve this now for dwarves and a poison throw, but keep in mind that if (and I'm not sure you have said you do) you want to add effects or automation around magic items, you may have to rethink this...

Personally, I would think to make the sheet true to the game as you have it, and then set the expectation that people are going to have to use the character sheet as a reference, and modify their rolls or the outcomes based on so much more :)

vodokar
January 31st, 2017, 01:08
Yes, LordEntrails, but those could be handled using the normal corerpg effects. For example, lets say your cleric cast a spell that gives you a bonus on saving throws; such as Prayer. Set up an effect that reads: Bless; SAVE: +1 and your done. The ruleset does check for that already. But, what we are talking about is something that is permanent for the character, so that should be handled separately and differently, in addition to any effects applied; either set it manually by using the mini-modifier present on the saving throw box (current) or by doing an automatic adjustment (which I should be able to get implemented for next week).

Zhern
January 31st, 2017, 01:37
Yes, Zhern, that is exactly what I meant. The ability adjustments that you do upon character creation. It's only done once in the lifetime of the character, hence, not worth the headaches trying to automate something like that. I played around with it for a couple of hours and got all sorts of weird results; so just backed out of it.

I would be curious to see how you approached it.

LordEntrails
January 31st, 2017, 01:46
I was thinking more like a Periapt of Proof Against Poison, or other things that give a bonus to only part of what is normally a lumped save. And just more intended to point out their will always be exceptions and people will have to adapt. I like what you're doing, and agree with the approach.

Don't think you should do anything different than what you are doing. Just noting that no ruleset can handle everything in a system like D&D.

leozelig
January 31st, 2017, 03:21
I was thinking more like a Periapt of Proof Against Poison, or other things that give a bonus to only part of what is normally a lumped save. And just more intended to point out their will always be exceptions and people will have to adapt.

I totally agree with this sentiment. FG can't be expected to do everything, especially in AD&D. The dwarf player can make a hotkey or something. No big deal.

Krimson
February 1st, 2017, 04:57
So I am guessing this is a stealth campaign to sell the C&C Ruleset? :D Well, it worked. Even though they are black and white, the price of purchase is worth it for the tokens alone.

I like this so far. This is nice. I can use this. I've been playing in an AD&D Campaign since 1986. Sessions are only a few times a year these days but with manual dice input and a travel laptop I may have found my new favorite thing.

vodokar
February 1st, 2017, 05:15
Awesome. Maybe you might find some extra gaming now that you have online as an option also; so tough getting our old gaming buddies together again IRL. FG does make for a really good IRL gaming experience as well though, with the manual dice input and the ability to project maps onto a flatscreen monitor lied flat; which is what some of our users do. Hope you enjoy the ruleset.

vodokar
February 7th, 2017, 05:14
I finally made a breakthru on the Multi-Classing Code for Saving Throws. Had to use some twisted logic.

function onSourceUpdate()
local nodeWin = window.getDatabaseNode();
local nLevel = DB.getValue(nodeWin, "classes.slot1.level", 0);
local nLevel2 = DB.getValue(nodeWin, "classes.slot1.level2", 0);
local nLevel3 = DB.getValue(nodeWin, "classes.slot1.level3", 0);
local sCurrentClass = DB.getValue(nodeWin, "classes.slot1.name", "Thief");
sCurrentClass = string.lower(sCurrentClass);
local sCurrentClass2 = DB.getValue(nodeWin, "classes.slot1.name2", "Thief");
sCurrentClass2 = string.lower(sCurrentClass2);
local sCurrentClass3 = DB.getValue(nodeWin, "classes.slot1.name3", "Thief");
sCurrentClass3 = string.lower(sCurrentClass3);
local nSavingThrowMod = 0;
local nSavingThrowMod2 = 0;
local nSavingThrowMod3 = 0;

if string.match(sCurrentClass, "fig") or string.match(sCurrentClass, "pal") or string.match(sCurrentClass, "ran") then
nSavingThrow = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsFighterParalyzation(nLev el) + calculateSources();
setValue(nodeWin, "save.paralyzation.score", "number", nSavingThrow);
elseif string.match(sCurrentClass, "thi") or string.match(sCurrentClass, "rog")
or string.match(sCurrentClass, "***") or string.match(sCurrentClass, "mon") then
nSavingThrow = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsThiefParalyzation(nLevel ) + calculateSources();
elseif string.match(sCurrentClass, "cle") or string.match(sCurrentClass, "dru") or string.match(sCurrentClass, "pri") then
nSavingThrow = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsClericParalyzation(nLeve l) + calculateSources();
elseif string.match(sCurrentClass, "mag") or string.match(sCurrentClass, "wiz") or string.match(sCurrentClass, "ill") then
nSavingThrow = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsMagicUserParalyzation(nL evel) + calculateSources();
else
nSavingThrow = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsNoClass(nLevel) + calculateSources();
end

if string.match(sCurrentClass2, "fig") or string.match(sCurrentClass2, "pal") or string.match(sCurrentClass2, "ran") then
nSavingThrow2 = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsFighterParalyzation(nLev el2) + calculateSources();
elseif string.match(sCurrentClass2, "thi") or string.match(sCurrentClass2, "rog")
or string.match(sCurrentClass2, "***") or string.match(sCurrentClass2, "mon") then
nSavingThrow2 = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsThiefParalyzation(nLevel 2) + calculateSources();
elseif string.match(sCurrentClass2, "cle") or string.match(sCurrentClass2, "dru") or string.match(sCurrentClass2, "pri") then
nSavingThrow2 = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsClericParalyzation(nLeve l2) + calculateSources();
elseif string.match(sCurrentClass2, "mag") or string.match(sCurrentClass2, "wiz") or string.match(sCurrentClass2, "ill") then
nSavingThrow2 = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsMagicUserParalyzation(nL evel2) + calculateSources();
else
nSavingThrow2 = nSavingThrow
end

nSavingThrowMod = nSavingThrow - nSavingThrow2;
if nSavingThrowMod > 0 then
setValue(nodeWin, "save.paralyzation.score", "number", nSavingThrow2);
end

if string.match(sCurrentClass3, "fig") or string.match(sCurrentClass3, "pal") or string.match(sCurrentClass3, "ran") then
nSavingThrow3 = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsFighterParalyzation(nLev el3) + calculateSources();
elseif string.match(sCurrentClass3, "thi") or string.match(sCurrentClass3, "rog")
or string.match(sCurrentClass3, "***") or string.match(sCurrentClass3, "mon") then
nSavingThrow3 = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsThiefParalyzation(nLevel 3) + calculateSources();
elseif string.match(sCurrentClass3, "cle") or string.match(sCurrentClass3, "dru") or string.match(sCurrentClass3, "pri") then
nSavingThrow3 = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsClericParalyzation(nLeve l3) + calculateSources();
elseif string.match(sCurrentClass3, "mag") or string.match(sCurrentClass3, "wiz") or string.match(sCurrentClass3, "ill") then
nSavingThrow3 = GameSystem.getSavingThrowsMagicUserParalyzation(nL evel3) + calculateSources();
else
nSavingThrow3 = nSavingThrow2
end

nSavingThrowMod2 = nSavingThrow2 - nSavingThrow3;
nSavingThrowMod3 = nSavingThrow - nSavingThrow3
if nSavingThrowMod3 > 0 and nSavingThrowMod2 > 0 then
setValue(nodeWin, "save.paralyzation.score", "number", nSavingThrow3);
end

end

function onInit()
local nodeWin = window.getDatabaseNode();
DB.addHandler(DB.getPath(nodeWin, "classes.slot1.level"), "onUpdate", onSourceUpdate);
DB.addHandler(DB.getPath(nodeWin, "classes.slot1.level2"), "onUpdate", onSourceUpdate);
DB.addHandler(DB.getPath(nodeWin, "classes.slot1.level3"), "onUpdate", onSourceUpdate);
DB.addHandler(DB.getPath(nodeWin,"classes.slot1.name"), "onUpdate", onSourceUpdate);
DB.addHandler(DB.getPath(nodeWin,"classes.slot1.name2"), "onUpdate", onSourceUpdate);
DB.addHandler(DB.getPath(nodeWin,"classes.slot1.name3"), "onUpdate", onSourceUpdate);
super.onInit();
end

damned
February 7th, 2017, 06:34
I love it! Well done!
No freaking way im reading all that code though.

vodokar
February 7th, 2017, 06:42
That's kinda the point. The TL;DR version = it was complicated.

Got it fully implemented for all 5 saving throws.

if I_Feel_Like_IT == True then
will.workon_CombatCode(tommorrow);
else
will.release(tommorrow, Multi-Classed Saving Throws)
if start.speak.code then
worktoolong == true
end

end

Draw.SmileyFace

Also finally got those sidebar buttons moved to the proper place.

Andraax
February 7th, 2017, 12:50
Why didn't you just setup a table keyed by class name and pull the needed value out of the table?

vodokar
February 8th, 2017, 00:08
I guess the simplest answer to that is that I don't know how to do that, if I understand your question. I used functions to store the values and pull them when needed, because I knew how to do that. Since I already knew that would work, I didn't see any reason to try to find a different solution to something I already knew how to do.

At any rate, saving and getting the data wasn't the problem. Getting it to decide which of the three saving throw values possible (one value for each potential class of the multi-classed character) to use was.

As I said, I solved that problem, so, it now works. It might not be how you would have done it, but it doesn't matter, because it works. There are always multiple ways to go about something; the only thing that matters is that it works.

Andraax
February 8th, 2017, 00:34
No guarantee this will work as written, I'm just whipping it up off the top of my head, but something like this:

tSavingThrows = {
paralyzation = {
fighter = { 1=14, 2=14, 3=13, 4=13, ... }
thief = { 1=13, 2=13, 3=13, 4=13, ... }
},
rod = {
},
}
nSavingThrow = tSavingThrows[sThrowType][sCurrentClass][nLevel] + CalculateSources();
nSavingThrow2 = tSavingThrows[sThrowType][sCurrentClass2][nLevel2] + CalculateSources();
nSavingThrow3 = tSavingThrows[sThrowType][sCurrentClass3][nLevel3] + CalculateSources();

vodokar
February 8th, 2017, 00:42
Always glad to learn something new. I'll remember that for next time. No reason to change what I have now.

leozelig
February 8th, 2017, 02:11
The OSRIC ruleset uses tables for a bunch of stuff. It might be worth digging through since you might be able to borrow some code. "To hit" tables with repeating 20's were definitely in there.

vodokar
February 8th, 2017, 03:00
I will likely take a look in order to increase my programming toolbox, however, I have no plans to change things that are already working. Better to spend my time adding features to the existing ruleset and looking forward to the next project.

vodokar
February 8th, 2017, 05:39
Annnnnnnnnnnnnd BAM!!!!!

Version 1.3.0 The Multi-Classing Release is done! Get it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36009-AD-amp-D-Ruleset&p=312892#post312892).

Version 1.3.0
New Feature: Full Support for Multi-Classing. Up to 3 classes of varying levels fully supported for both fully automated combat reporting and saving throw auto-population.
Cosmetic Fixes: Adjusted positioning of "Token" and "Library" sidebar buttons on lower dock. Cleaned up dragon desktop decal a bit more.

Zhern
February 8th, 2017, 12:41
I ended up using tables for the to hit matrices for S&W. While you might not want to change something that works at the moment, vodokar, eventually you should go back and refactor to make things more efficient and readable. As you write more code you'll come to realize that it will make it much easier on you and any others that might maintain it in the future. It is all part of the learning process, though.

If I can ever help with anything around coding practices, let me know. I'll be glad to talk about that all day and night (and beyond ). Coding standards and practices, coding efficiency (maximum functionality with the fewest lines necessary), reusability, and so forth are all things I emphasize to new folks coming into my area at work. Speaking of, commenting code is huge too, which you did a really good job of in the AD&D ruleset. I'm going to need to do a lot more of it in the S&W code too.

Jay_NOLA
February 12th, 2017, 21:13
I got to do data entry for a first edition module and had 2 questions that came up.

1.) How is 18 % strength entered in one of the NPCsin the module had a STR of 18/40 and I can't get the 40% to show up.
2.) The module had some new spells and they have an entry for Area of Effect. Where do I enter this. The spells have no space for Area of Effect for Spells that have them.

Anyway really loved what you did with the ruleset

vodokar
February 12th, 2017, 23:32
Hi Jay. Sorry about the %ile strength for NPC's. I'll add it in my next release. Just slipped my mind. As for spells, I'm sure I can add a field for Area of Effect. For right now though, you can either enter that in the same field as the range, because that field accepts string data or in the notes section.

Jay_NOLA
February 16th, 2017, 22:09
Hey thanks,
Haven't had to do a PC yet with a % strength just the 1 NPC.

Also, not sure if your making this for 1st and 2nd edition. But if are making it 1st edition usable can you can add Comeliness from Unearthed Arcana and Honor from Oriental Adventures were added on the 1st edition sheets back in the old 1986 releases of them along with some improvements to cover things from the latter books. That version of REF2 had a green cover and also had spell sheets in it. Older version had a blue cover and same sheets from the old purple releases.

vodokar
February 16th, 2017, 22:21
At present, the ruleset only handles 1st edition i.e. the one written by E.G. Gygax.

I don't own currently and have never read either Unearthed Arcana or Oriental Adventures, so at this point, those features aren't planned, however, may be doable at a later point. Sorry for that answer, but you have to understand, community ruleset developers do not get paid for their work and don't get re-compensated for rulebooks or other materials they might need to buy in order to research things for their projects.

vodokar
February 17th, 2017, 02:34
New Version 1.3.1 has been released. Get it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36009-AD-amp-D-Ruleset&p=312892#post312892).

Version 1.3.1
New Feature: Added Exceptional Strength to NPC Sheet
New Feature: NPC Ability Scores now roll Ability Checks and report Success or Failure
New Feature: Characters and NPC's with Exceptional Strength above 18 (50) now get a bonus of having their Ability Score Checks compare for success vs. 19 vice 18.
New Feature: Added 2 new fields to NPC Sheet to allow separate values from C&C for AD&D exp and AD&D Treasure.

Vackipleur
February 17th, 2017, 19:23

Nice update but when you drag-drop a spell on character spell tab, the Area of Effect field doesn't appear.

vodokar
February 17th, 2017, 19:43
I'll investigate.

***** Time Warp ****

Version 1.3.2 uploaded. Get it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36009-AD-amp-D-Ruleset&p=312892#post312892).

Fixed the drag-drop issue for spells. Thanks for reporting it, Vackipleur.

Vackipleur
February 18th, 2017, 20:16
Thanks for reporting it, Vackipleur.

You're welcome and thanks !

There are some mistakes for Wisdom & Charisma:

12 Wisdom should be +5% not +1% for SpF

7 Charisma > -5% not -1% for Reaction
8 Charisma > -5% not -1% for Loyalty
13 Charisma > +5% not +1% for Reaction
14 Charisma > +5% not +1% for Loyalty

And initiative field is still bugged inside the Combat tab :)

And, is it possible to have a "real" encumbrance calculation, please ? And not the C&C system... Nothing elaborated, just something which calculate item weight. Will be great :)

vodokar
February 18th, 2017, 22:57
Believe it or not, those errors were due to my old eyes. I saw 05% and read it as .05% and said, that's strange, how can it be a decimal, well, I'll just bump it up to 1%. Easy to fix. Will get it in next pass.

Xyppee
February 21st, 2017, 18:29
Being new to all this I have to ask can you point me to an explanation of what to do with the .pak you have here. I am very much interested in seeing the AD&D info.

Talyn
February 21st, 2017, 18:41
Being new to all this I have to ask can you point me to an explanation of what to do with the .pak you have here. I am very much interested in seeing the AD&D info.

Download the AD&D.pak file
Copy the .pak file into your FG's /rulesets/ folder
Start a new campaign using the AD&D ruleset

Zhern
February 21st, 2017, 20:55
Download the AD&D.pak file
Copy the .pak file into your FG's /rulesets/ folder
Start a new campaign using the AD&D ruleset

Most likely your Fantasy Grounds install directory is going to be under the ProgramData folder (which is most likely hidden). As an example, if you installed on your C drive, then it would be located in C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds. The rulesets directory would be under Fantasy Grounds, so C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds\rulesets. As Talyn said, drop the AD&D.pak file into the rulesets folder, launch Fantasy Grounds, and you should be good to go.

vodokar
February 22nd, 2017, 00:02
The easiest way to find the Fantasy Grounds data directory is from the launch screen. Just above the version number in the upper right corner is an icon of a folder. Clicking that opens the data directory. You will then see the "ruleset" folder inside of that. Drop the file into there. Note: this ruleset requires the installation of the C&C ruleset in order to operate. You can find that one in the FG store.

LordEntrails
February 22nd, 2017, 15:23
And Welcome to the Community!

vodokar
February 28th, 2017, 03:52
Version 1.3.3 release 2/27/17

12 Wisdom should be +5% not +1% for SpF [Fixed]
7 Charisma > -5% not -1% for Reaction [Fixed]
8 Charisma > -5% not -1% for Loyalty [Fixed]
13 Charisma > +5% not +1% for Reaction [Fixed]
14 Charisma > +5% not +1% for Loyalty [Fixed]
Initiative field inside Combat tab not rolling [Fixed]
[New Feature] Added 1 new field to NPC Sheet to allow separate value from C&C for AD&D Movement Rates.

Upcoming: Finally going to try to tackle the Encumbrance issue i.e. break away from the C&C EV system and go to the AD&D gold weight standard. Wish me luck.

Get it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36009-AD-amp-D-Ruleset&p=312892#post312892).

taoistpunk
February 28th, 2017, 12:04
It's like an update before each game! Thanks for staying on top of all of these issues! Much appreciated.

Vackipleur
March 1st, 2017, 18:05
Upcoming: Finally going to try to tackle the Encumbrance issue i.e. break away from the C&C EV system and go to the AD&D gold weight standard. Wish me luck.

Get it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36009-AD-amp-D-Ruleset&p=312892#post312892).

Thanks for the update and good luck ! :)

doctoratlantis
March 8th, 2017, 11:12
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and wanted to test it with AD&D so I was excited to see this rule set. I've got 3.2.3 installed and launch through Steam.
I saw that I needed the Castles & Crusades module for this to work, so I bought it. I put the .pak file into the FantasyGrounds\rulesets folder - the same one where I put the OSRIC pak file - but it is not showing up in the list. Any suggestions? OSRIC shows up and all my other mods show up but not AD&D.

Update: After an update, it appears that FG had reset the data folder to a non-existent folder. I reset the folder to point to my .pak files and updated, and now it is showing up! :)

damned
March 8th, 2017, 11:34
Welcome doctoratlantis.
Make sure that the Castles&Crusades file has actually downloaded too.

vodokar
March 9th, 2017, 00:24
Welcome doctoratlantis. Love that name. Makes me imagine all sorts of cool stories.

Sure hope you enjoy the ruleset. If you see anything that isn't quite working right or have ideas for new features, post it in this thread. I am actively maintaining and striving to continuously improve things.

Currently the ruleset is only for Gygax version of AD&D. Will likely be adding support for Unearthed Arcana in the coming weeks and possibly Oriental Adventures sometime thereafter.

vodokar
April 9th, 2017, 19:36
I spent my weekend of FG-CON 10 running a couple of very classic TSR modules, Dwellers of the Forbidden City and Steading of the Hill Giant Chief. Here are some of the lessons I learned from that experience.

First, a great time was had in both modules. While I have been actively using my ruleset as a player a lot since I released it, this was the first experiences I had dming with it. For the most part, I was very pleased with the experience. Things ran smoothly. There were not any critical break downs. There is one very elusive script error that I haven't been able to track down regarding trying to target via combat tracker apparently, but certainly nothing that wasn't able to be worked easily around. The automation that I have built in works pretty well in streamlining the game.

I did identify a couple of areas that I really need to work on, however.

1) I need to find some way of allowing spell damage to be entered in as damage, so that this can be classified as damage in the same ways that weapon damage is. There is still a lot of manual work for the DM to perform in this area when the fireballs and other area of effect spells start coming out. In a high density combat module like Against the Giants, this really showed. I'll see what I can come up with. Some study of how 4e and 5e handle this might give some insight into the matter.

2) I haven't built a way for the npc's to record saving throw numbers or be able to roll them. This is also an area that I'll need to research and try to make better.

This is still a fairly young ruleset, having only been out since January, and I still have quite a bit to learn. I look forward to the coming year, though, and hoping to continue to make things better.

vodokar
April 11th, 2017, 04:34
Yes. I got Spell Damage tackled. Check this out. 18507

This will be a great improvement, I think. Now the spell damage is treated just like weapon damage and can be rolled from the character sheet and applied automatically to target or dragged and dropped onto target from character sheet or chat window (likely the preferred mode in the case of spells that allow saving throws like fireball).

It turned out to be very simple to do. Wish I had thought of it earlier.

Whomever that is in charge of the base C&C ruleset should really consider adding this also; it would be a great improvement there also.

Andraax
April 11th, 2017, 04:43
Whomever that is in charge of the base C&C ruleset should really consider adding this also; it would be a great improvement there also.

I just add spell damage to the combat tab in the C&C ruleset; this way it shows up on the combat mini-sheet as well (when I'm a player, I rarely have my full char sheet up on the screen, I just use the mini-sheets). I put heals on the combat tab as well for healers... And I create potions that heal or do damage as weapons, so they automatically show up there.

vodokar
April 11th, 2017, 05:05
That is a good work around, Andraax. I had actually thought of that. However, I felt it would be kind of a cop-out if, I, as the developer of this ruleset, just said to do that rather than actually trying to find a solution to the issue.

As I said, this came out of my experiences as DM when running a very high density combat between giants and a high level group with tons of magic, so this really emphasized the need for some sort of way to improve things in this area.

I may have overstated what it does though, in my excitement. I hadn't fully tested it yet. It does roll the damage to the chat and can be dragged from there as damage onto a target properly. It can also be halfed in the chat first, like you would expect for damage. If it does that and only that, it's still a great improvement.

I'm still actually testing other aspects of it. It currently doesn't seem to actually acknowledge targeting. Seeing if there is a way I can fix that. Or even possibly develop a separate script that it would call that might trigger npc saving throws and adjust the damage automatically; but that may just be wishful thinking.

*** time warp ***

Ok. So, drag and drop from the character sheet onto combat tracker or map token also applies damage properly. Only thing that doesn't work is doubleclick against a target. Looking for solution.

Talyn
April 11th, 2017, 05:14
It turned out to be very simple to do. Wish I had thought of it earlier.

Contact Moon Wizard and show him what you did, he very well might use it in C&C. Far as I know, there is no dedicated developer at the moment, MW just keeps it in maintenance mode if a CoreRPG update breaks something.

vodokar
April 11th, 2017, 05:19
That's what I figured. It only took me about an hour, with my limited knowledge, to figure out how to do it. I'm sure he could look at what I did and have it done in 5 min; and likely improve upon it, at that.

vodokar
April 11th, 2017, 07:31
I just add spell damage to the combat tab in the C&C ruleset; this way it shows up on the combat mini-sheet as well (when I'm a player, I rarely have my full char sheet up on the screen, I just use the mini-sheets). I put heals on the combat tab as well for healers... And I create potions that heal or do damage as weapons, so they automatically show up there.

Thanks for the suggestion. 18508

vodokar
April 12th, 2017, 05:30
Version 1.3.4 is now available here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36009-AD-amp-D-Ruleset)

Version 1.3.4
[New Feature] Damage Field added to Spells on Spells Tab and Spells Minisheet.
This feature now allows:
a) double click rolling of spell damage to the chat window, from which it can be dragged and dropped onto token or combat tracker
b) drag dice directly from Spell on Spells Tab or Spells Minisheet and drop onto token or combat tracker

Method a is preferred for damage spells which allow saving throws, because the chat window allows you to right click and half the damage. So, determine which targets fail. Drag full damage onto them. Then, half the damage and drag onto the lucky b***ds.

Method b is quicker method for those damage spells which don't get saving throws, such as magic missile.

Regarding saving throws for npcs. Still trying to determine if it is feasible to do something for that. The engine is too complex for me to be able to get them to trigger automatically. But, I might be able to figure out a way to place rollable saving throw fields attached to the npc sheets and/or combat tracker, similar to how pc's roll their saving throws. Ideally this would auto-magically fill in the correct numbers and auto-magically tell you success or failure. Ideally. Still working out a strategy for that.

vodokar
April 13th, 2017, 00:48
Seems that the floating anchor on the minisheet is causing some issues with display. I'll have to adjust the positioning of the damage frame a little below the spell line like I had to do on the character sheet so that it floats properly with the line.

vodokar
April 13th, 2017, 00:57
Seems that the floating anchor on the minisheet is causing some issues with display. I'll have to adjust the positioning of the damage frame a little below the spell line like I had to do on the character sheet so that it floats properly with the line.

In the mean time, it is possible to drag the minisheet a little wider so that it displays properly. That isn't a permanent solution though, because as you increase spell slots, the line floats to the right.

vodokar
April 14th, 2017, 05:46
I think this will work out much better. 18537

vodokar
April 14th, 2017, 10:13
I have made great progress towards giving npc's rollable saving throws. 18538

Features:
a) When you fill in the creatures hit dice string in the HD box in the form of n (dn+n), the saving throw boxes will automatically adjust to the proper numbers. If you change the HD string, saving throws will adjust with the change.
b) According to the DMG, if the hit point bonus (+n) is greater than 0 and less than 5, the creature saves at 1 hit dice greater than its actual HD. This will be taken care of automatically for you.
c) According to the DMG, if the hit point bonus (+n) is greater than 4, the creature saves at 2 hit dice greater than its actual HD. This also will be taken care of automatically for you.
d) The default is that creatures save as fighters. However, if you put in Thief, Magic-User, or Cleric in the Saves text box, saving throws will adjust to be for those classes.
e) Likewise, if you prefer the two tiered Castles and Crusades version of Physical and Mental saves, you can put either P or M into the Saves text box and the saving throws will adjust accordingly. P is actually the same as Fighter, though, so, typing P in the Saves box just gives the same as leaving it blank.

There is also a stipulation in the DMG regarding non-intelligent creatures making saving throws. It's supposed to be saving at half their actual Hit Dice. Haven't quite worked that one out yet.

leozelig
April 14th, 2017, 12:17
The OSRIC ruleset had a field 'Save As' that you would enter F3 or something like that. Your way is nicer for sure, but if you run into trouble, that's another way to approach it.

vodokar
April 14th, 2017, 23:53
I could have done that or for that matter, I could have just left it for the DM to look up the saving throws and input them manually.

However, my quest is to make this ruleset as fully featured and user friendly as I can, while still maintaining a devotion to authenticity and faithfulness to the rules of 1st edition AD&D.

Automating many of the things that I have allows to not only make things easier on the players and DM, but it also ensures that the little details and nuances of the game's rules don't get forgotten and lost in the heat of battle.

It's all about flavor and preservation of this classic game in it's original form. In a way, that is the niche that I have carved out for this ruleset.

While there is much to be admired about Celestian's version of AD&D and he deserves much props for his programming skill, I firmly believe that when it comes to 1st edition AD&D, if you want the true authentic feel and experience, this is the place to come.

My ruleset adheres to the rules of 1st edition AD&D as faithfully as I can make it.

It uses the 1st edition DMG class and level based attack matrix for characters and the 1st edition DMG hit die based Attack Matrix for Monsters, including all of the detailed adjustments that are specified. It doesn't use 2nd edition THACO and wave a magic hand saying that it's close enough. It uses the 1st edition Saving Throw Matrix for characters and monsters incorporating the detailed adjustments. It doesn't use the 2nd edition Saving Throws and say it's close enough. Etc.

If you are a coke lover, you don't want a bottle of pepsi handed to you by a pepsi lover that has a coke label pasted on it because the person thinks it's close enough. You love coke and want the real thing. That is what I promise to always deliver within the best of my abilities -- authentic classic 1st edition AD&D. It tastes like it. It smells like it. You know its the real thing. If you love that game, that's what your going to get here from me.

JohnD
April 15th, 2017, 00:02
I could have done that or for that matter, I could have just left it for the DM to look up the saving throws and input them manually.

However, my quest is to make this ruleset as fully featured and user friendly as I can, while still maintaining a devotion to authenticity and faithfulness to the rules of 1st edition AD&D.

Automating many of the things that I have allows to not only make things easier on the players and DM, but it also ensures that the little details and nuances of the game's rules don't get forgotten and lost in the heat of battle.

It's all about flavor and preservation of this classic game in it's original form. In a way, that is the niche that I have carved out for this ruleset.

While there is much to be admired about Celestian's version of AD&D and he deserves much props for his programming skill, I firmly believe that when it comes to 1st edition AD&D, if you want the true authentic feel and experience, this is the place to come.

My ruleset adheres to the rules of 1st edition AD&D as faithfully as I can make it.

It uses the 1st edition DMG class and level based attack matrix for characters and the 1st edition DMG hit die based Attack Matrix for Monsters, including all of the detailed adjustments that are specified. It doesn't use 2nd edition THACO and wave a magic hand saying that it's close enough. It uses the 1st edition Saving Throw Matrix for characters and monsters incorporating the detailed adjustments. It doesn't use the 2nd edition Saving Throws and say it's close enough. Etc.

If you are a coke lover, you don't want a bottle of pepsi handed to you by a pepsi lover that has a coke label pasted on it because the person thinks it's close enough. You love coke and want the real thing. That is what I promise to always deliver within the best of my abilities -- authentic classic 1st edition AD&D. It tastes like it. It smells like it. You know its the real thing. If you love that game, that's what your going to get here from me.

Bravo.

Andraax
April 15th, 2017, 00:29

Of course, with the slavish devotion to (your interpretation of) the rules, you lock out many "house rules" at the same time - do it your way or not at all...

vodokar
April 15th, 2017, 00:44
How so?

First, it isn't my interpretation of the rules, it is a direct conversion of what the book says.

As example, DMG page 79 states that all monsters use the saving throw matrix for characters with hit dice equating to experience levels, but with additional pluses in hit points moving the creature upwards by one hit die. Further die levels are added for each increment of four additional hit points. etc.

That is not an interpretation. That is a direct quote of the rules.

Nonetheless, I am open to adding optional and variant house rules that you would like to see. Let me know what you would like to see. Just like I have provided ways of using alternate initiative systems in case you don't like using a d6, if it's something I can feasibly add as an option, I will do so.

I don't have any problem with house rules. As a matter of fact, I would actually consider that as being part of the authentic experience of playing 1st edition. Everyone had their own favorite house rules they used back then. If you want to make a meaningful contribution to the future direction of the ruleset, please offer your ideas. On the other hand, if that was just a drive by insult, then I have better things to do than get into any type of arguments with other members of the communty.

As I said, I have no problem with house rules. Completely using a different combat engine as the only option and saying it's close enough is another matter entirely though.

Andraax
April 15th, 2017, 01:04
I'm just saying that your hard coding of so many tiny, nit-picky things into the ruleset make it difficult to house-rule things. What if I decided, for example, to create my own saving throw table? I'd have to recode the ruleset to do it.

And house-rules are also a "direct conversion" of the what the book says. "It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game." DMG, p230.

vodokar
April 15th, 2017, 01:18
I agree with you, Andraax. That is why, whenever possible, when I have hard coded things like attribute bonuses, saving throws etc., I have also provided a mini-modifier so that you can overide/adjust the number to suit a house rule, magic item bonus or whatever. I've done that wherever and whenever possible. Between mini-modifiers, misc modifier boxes and the built in die roll modifier box, no one should feel locked into anything. Again, if there is an area you would like to see expanded upon with options, let me know. I'll do what I can.

I don't see where your going with this. The choice isn't automation or having to fill things out completely manually. There is a middle ground. Nonetheless, it is not unreasonable to expect as the default baseline for a ruleset for it to follow the rules as written for a game. 5e is so automated that it almost plays the game for you -- and people hold that up as the gold standard. Mine will never approach that level, because I am not Moon Wizard. So, you've nothing to worry about there.

vodokar
April 15th, 2017, 21:27
Andraax raised some good points. And I just wanted to take a moment to say a couple of things, just to make sure things are crystal clear.

Firstly, I appreciate your comments Andraax. I could likely choose to take them one of two ways, negative or postive.... I am choosing to stay positive and assuming that is the spirit you meant them, which is in being helpful and guiding me in a direction that makes the ruleset more useful to yourself and others. As I said, I don't come here to this community, ever, with a spirit trying to get into arguments with anyone. I have opinions, to be sure, and some might be strong, but in voicing mine, I still respect others opinions and them.

In saying that, I also have stated that I do, in fact, agree with the points you were making, even if I feel you could have made your points with a hair more politeness. Nonetheless, it never has been my intention to lock someone into, as you call it, my interpretation of the rules. My intention has been, and still is, and always will be, to provide a baseline, default, out of the box, experience that is faithful to rules as written for Gygax style 1st edition AD&D. That is the default.

That does not mean that options can't and won't be provided to stray from that baseline. It doesn't mean that it's my way or the highway. Where in this entire thread did I ever say that? Throughout this thread, I have petitioned the player base to provide input on improvements and additions. If there is something you don't like, speak your voice, I will listen. Present your ideas and I will try to work with them. That can be done while still meeting the intent of a faithful baseline experience of authentic 1st edition AD&D.

The thing about house rules, is that they are exactly that, house rules. I may know about what house rules I used in my house, but I don't know what you used in yours. Especially in those early days, different regions of the country were doing different things. So, if you want house rules added, you need to explain what you might want.

Lastly, just so everyone is clear about something. I know not everyone here has experience with actually coding of Fantasy Grounds with xml and lua. Andraax's interpretation of what I have said about how numbers automatically get filled in means that that locks you into not being able to override them and input your own is simply not how it works.

This is how it actually works. The programmer sets up what is known as a database handler which actively looks for changes in a database item, we'll call it Item A. He tells the program that when Item A changes, change Item B. If you change item A, item B changes. If you don't change Item A, then item B does not change. If you manually change item B, then you have just over ridden the automatic value that the program gave item B when item A was input. Nothing prevents the user from going in and hand modifying item B, if that is what he wanted to do.

Now, that is not really the ideal way to do it though, because the next time you update item A, item B will automatically change to be what the program thinks it should be. That is why a programmer also gives the user a way to input his desired modification to item B without actually changing the value of it directly. This is in the form of the mini-modifier box (that little plus sign that you often see next to number boxes on a character sheet). That allows the user to manually over ride the value without interfering with the actual database value of the item.

Let's give a couple of concrete examples, just in case that was too technical.

On the character sheet, item A is "character level" and item B is "character class" and item C is "spell saving throw". Item D is "spell saving throw mini-modifier".

The user sets item A to be level 5. He types into item B that he is a cleric. The program does a look up and adjusts item C to be 14. The user looks at it and says, it's not supposed to be a 14 because we are using a houserule. It is supposed to be a 12. So, he control mouse wheels the value of item D to be -2. The value of C now displays as being 12.

That functionality has been built in since day 1. It is a misunderstanding if you thought you were locked into not being able to over ride the value. It is a misunderstanding if you think I am trying to make people play my way.

A second example. This one is a nonstandard one, because I wasn't able to put in the mini-modifier function. But, it still shows how you can over ride the value to be whatever you want.

On the NPC sheet, item A is "Hit Die String". Item B is "Save As" and item C is "spell saving throw".

You create a new npc for a Troll. You input his "Hit Die String" into item A as being 6 (d8+6). You leave item B blank, because he saves as a fighter, which is the default value. Item C changes to show that he has a saving throw of 13 (6 hit die bumped up to 8 hit die because of the +6 hit points looked up on the fighter table). Your the DM, so if you feel that you want to give the Troll's spell saving throw a stronger value, go right ahead. Just change it directly to be 11, or whatever you feel like. In this case, item C (spell saving throw) won't change again unless you actually go in and manually change the value of item A (hit die string) or item B (Save As).

Clear? So, your point about not locking in the player/dm has already been addressed. It's built in. House rule it to your heart's content. If in the future I tell you about how a feature fills out something automatically, don't assume that means you can't over ride it if you want to. You can.

vodokar
April 19th, 2017, 07:12
Yeah! I just leveled. Combat Tracker, your secrets are now mine!

Continuing work on the npc Saving Throw subsystem, I made great progress tonight. Finished the saving throws for monsters on npc sheet. Then, proceeded to unlock the knowledge of how to crosslink the saving throws and saving throw rolls to the combat tracker.

This was a huge leap forward for me, as previously, I couldn't follow the logic behind how the combat tracker cross linked the data. It's very convoluted, but finally got it figured out.

I should have a new update ready by next week.

damned
April 19th, 2017, 07:20
sweet work sir!

Myrdin Potter
April 19th, 2017, 07:45
Ruleset keeps getting better and better.

taoistpunk
April 19th, 2017, 14:06
Yeah! I just leveled. Combat Tracker, your secrets are now mine!

Continuing work on the npc Saving Throw subsystem, I made great progress tonight. Finished the saving throws for monsters on npc sheet. Then, proceeded to unlock the knowledge of how to crosslink the saving throws and saving throw rolls to the combat tracker.

This was a huge leap forward for me, as previously, I couldn't follow the logic behind how the combat tracker cross linked the data. It's very convoluted, but finally got it figured out.

I should have a new update ready by next week.

Nice...this will make creating oppositional NPC's and using them in battles much simpler.

Perhaps not a good thing for you though ;)

vodokar
April 21st, 2017, 00:51
We may get to use the npc saving throw function this next week, as I have a hold person spell ready for that Ettin.

Just remember that the saving throws won't automatically fill in on a previously created npc unless you somehow modify the hit dice value, so if you have previously created npcs, you'll need to open them up and modify it so that the values can fill in, and then delete and re-add the npc to the combat tracker, if you want the values to populate there properly. Simple backspace or delete and retyping one number in the HD string is sufficient to kick in the automation.

Also, one feature I added:

Reference the discussion about automation, I built in an escape clause, for those that don't want the automation to kick in and fill in the npc saving throws. Prior to typing in the "hit die string", if you type "house" into the "Save As" text field, you will have told the program to skip the code which automatically fills in the saving throw values when you type in the "hit dice string". I don't know if there is anyone that actually wants to do that, but, there you go, it is available.

Holy_Rage
April 21st, 2017, 22:46
Hey there Vodokar, thank you very much for all this amazing work! Would you think that the ruleset would be compatible to a Swords & Wizards game? Cheers and many thanks again!

vodokar
April 21st, 2017, 23:09
Hi, Holy_Rage. You're welcome. I would not recommend trying to use this for S&W.

While S&W isn't too far from AD&D in feel and is historically very close, since it is basically a clone of original D&D as it existed just prior to the release of 1st edition AD&D, there are numerous differences. The combat engine is different. How it handles AC and other defense items are different. Stat bonuses are different. Saving Throws are different. Etc.

While many of the values of those items could be modified on the character sheet using mini-modifiers to modify the values to match what S&W says they should be, the biggest issue would be the combat engine, which uses the AD&D combat matrix and not the S&W combat matrix, so combat would be off.

Zhern has been working on a S&W ruleset for several months now and is likely going to have it ready for release sometime later this year. I would reccomend being patient till he can get you the ruleset specifically and expertly designed for S&W. You can follow his progress here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35420-Swords-amp-Wizardry-Ruleset-Progress/page11). I play in a game with him every week, so I know for certain he is committed to his project... but, real life sometimes gets in the way, you know.

In the mean time though, should the feeling strike you to try some AD&D occasionally, you'll find this ruleset to be quite faithful to those rules and has that old school feel.

Holy_Rage
April 21st, 2017, 23:22
Thank you for your swift reply, PM sent.

vodokar
April 21st, 2017, 23:49
I just wanted to pop on and give a further preview of the upcoming update. This has turned into a massive one with lots of new features.

Aside from the aforementioned tweak to the spell damage on the Spell Mini-sheet and the NPC Monster Saving Throw rolls and combat tracker linkage functionality, it will also have these features:

Numerous refinements to the npc sheet to make it a better product overall (primarily making empty fields hide away upon locking the npc record which previously did not).

Full support for multi-classing of NPC Characters, similar to the functionality for Multi-Classed Characters. Extra class and level fields hide away if not used. If they are used, they display the data and the extra data is used in calculating of the saving throws. (Haven't tested combat yet. I think it might just work with the existing code, but until I test it, I'm not going to claim yet that multiple class data will be used in the combat calculations).

NPC Character attributes for Strength, Exceptional Strength, Dexterity and Constitution now actually do something. No longer will you need to type in the attribute combat bonuses in the attack string. Strength and Exceptional Strength now automatically will add the appropriate "to hit" and "damage" bonuses to the attack and damage rolls just like it does for Characters. Dexterity will now automatically add the appropriate "to hit" bonus to ranged attacks. Constitution automatically lends a bonus towards certain saving throws as appropriate.

Created a way to distinguish ranged attacks in the attack string. Longsword +1 (1d8+1) is parsed as a melee attack and gets the strength bonuses. Longbow (1d6) would also parse as melee, however, if you type it in as R Longbow (1d6), it will parse properly as a ranged attack and get the Dexterity bonus vice the Strength Bonuses.

NPC Characters now have Saving Throws which are calculated differently from the NPC Monster Saving Throws (using Levels, Classes and Race vice Hit Die string and Save As string) and saved as unique values. This is all crosslinked with the Combat Tracker. Saving Throws can be rolled directly off the Combat Tracker and success/failure reported to chat.

leozelig
April 22nd, 2017, 01:15
Does the ruleset allow this...

Longbow +0 ranged (1d6)

I don't remember how attack strings are parsed in C&C.

vodokar
April 22nd, 2017, 01:38
no, it doesn't. C&C did not have a differentiation between ranged and melee for the npc attack string because it did not use the npc attributes to generate attribute bonuses. There was no reason to parse for ranged, because it would not do anything. It does for characters, of course, but that's a different attack script using completely different methodology than what npc's use.

When I decided to code the attribute bonuses, it was necessary to have it be able to parse melee from ranged. The simplest way was was to put the R in the front of the attack.label so that it could be parsed. Out of the attack string Longbow +0 (1d6), the attack.label is Longbow. I simply told it to look for an R on the front end i.e. R Longbow. That kept me from having to mess with a lot of very very messy and complex string pattern recognition code that I didn't want to **** up, while getting the job done.

vodokar
April 22nd, 2017, 03:36
Now I can confirm that MultiClassing for NPC Characters also works for combat. As I suspected, it didn't work directly out of the box, but the architecture was already in place to easily add the functionality in the combat script.

I'm mostly done with the additions I was going to make right now. Everything mentioned thus far is already implemented and working.

I have been thinking about if I can make a new tab on the npc sheet to handle spell lists more like it works for the players. Not sure if I can get something done on that front. Then, there is also the encumbrance system overhaul, which I have somehow managed to put off for a very long time. Oh well, I'll just have to save those ideas for next time.

I'll go ahead and get this current update out to you guys. Hope that it makes things more streamlined and useful for the DM's.

Version 1.3.5
Spell Damage Fields on Spell Minisheet not aligning properly due to floating anchor. [Fixed]
Refinements to the npc sheet functionality (hiding of blank fields on locking record etc).
[New Feature] Saving Throws on npc sheet for NPC Monster and NPC Character. Auto-calculation and population of these saving throw fields. Linkage to Combat Tracker for these saving throw fields. Saving Throws rollable from npc sheet and from combat tracker. Success/Failure reported.
[New Feature] Multi-Class functionality added to NPC Characters for both Saving Throw calculation and Combat. Two extra class and level fields added which hide away when record locked if not used.
[New Feature] Race also used for calculation of saving throws for NPC characters.
[New Feature] Saving Throws calculated for NPC Monsters based on Hit Die String n (dn+n). Hit Die determines base save. Bonus hit points improve save in increments of 4 hps per DMG. Save As field also modifies saving throw. Options for Save As field are: leaving it blank (which means the monster will default to saving as a fighter), "cleric", "thief", "magic-user" and "house". If you put "house" in the Save As field, the values of the saving throws will clear and the auto-population script will be skipped. Other values tell the script to use saving throws other than for fighter.
[New Feature] Saving Throws calculated for NPC Characters based on Race, Three different Class fields, Three different level fields and Save As field. As above with NPC Monster saving throws, putting "house" in the Save As field will zero out the saving throws and over ride the auto-population functionality. No other option is needed in the Save As field for NPC Characters; just leave it blank otherwise and everything will calculate for you.
[New Feature] Character Attributes on NPC Character Sheet now actually calculate bonuses for Strength, Exceptional Strength, Dexterity and Constitution. Strength and Exceptional Strength add to Melee attack and damage rolls automatically. Dexterity adds to ranged attacks automatically. Constitution is used automatically in some saving throw calculations.
[New Feature] Ability to designate ranged attacks in the NPC attack string. Put an R in front of the attack string. example. Longbow +1 (1d6+1) would be parsed as a melee attack, but R Longbow +1 (1d6+1) will be parsed as a ranged attack and utilize the Dexterity Bonus for ranged attack vice the Strength and Exceptional Strength melee attack and damage bonus.

leozelig
April 22nd, 2017, 10:14
no, it doesn't. C&C did not have a differentiation between ranged and melee for the npc attack string because it did not use the npc attributes to generate attribute bonuses. There was no reason to parse for ranged, because it would not do anything. It does for characters, of course, but that's a different attack script using completely different methodology than what npc's use.

When I decided to code the attribute bonuses, it was necessary to have it be able to parse melee from ranged. The simplest way was was to put the R in the front of the attack.label so that it could be parsed. Out of the attack string Longbow +0 (1d6), the attack.label is Longbow. I simply told it to look for an R on the front end i.e. R Longbow. That kept me from having to mess with a lot of very very messy and complex string pattern recognition code that I didn't want to **** up, while getting the job done.

Interesting, I did not know that. Yes, the parsing code is deadly.

Andraax
April 22nd, 2017, 14:27

It's trivial to do this in C&C if needed. If you have an NPC that has a Dex bonus for ranged attack, you just put the bonus into the attack - "Longbow +1 (1d8)" for example. You can add bonuses for magical weapons in the same way. Town guards all have a bonus for their preferred weapon type in my games - they were trained in the military just like fighter PCs, why shouldn't they have similar bonuses?

Andraax
April 22nd, 2017, 14:31
Yes, the parsing code is deadly.

Not any more complicated than REs on Unix/Linux, Perl, Python. Actually, a bit less complicated.

vodokar
April 22nd, 2017, 14:50
Not any more complicated than REs on Unix/Linux, Perl, Python. Actually, a bit less complicated.

I'm not a professional programmer. I'm a biologist by education and a former navy nuclear technician. I have somewhat of a natural talent with coding and computers, but I do find pattern recognition code and parsing very complicated subjects. I've had to learn some of it in order to make things work, but it is an area I try to avoid when possible. If you find it easy, good for you.

It's trivial to do this in C&C if needed. If you have an NPC that has a Dex bonus for ranged attack, you just put the bonus into the attack - "Longbow +1 (1d8)" for example. You can add bonuses for magical weapons in the same way. Town guards all have a bonus for their preferred weapon type in my games - they were trained in the military just like fighter PCs, why shouldn't they have similar bonuses?

And you still can do it manually if you like. I'm not forcing you not to. I simply provided the option to do it automatically by setting up the npc character's attributes. In C&C, the attributes are non-functional, so you have to do it manually. If you still want to do it manually, then don't fill in the attributes and just fill out the attack line manually, as you are used to doing. On the other hand, if you fill out the attributes, it will automatically add the normal bonuses and you can reserve the inline manually typed bonus for magic weapon bonuses or the types of misc bonuses that you like to use. Options are good.

Andraax
April 22nd, 2017, 14:52
People overthink NPCs. I mean, to do something like town guards, I take the basic human NPC, make a copy. Change the name to "Town Guard" and give them AC appropriate to their issued armor (chain and shield, 15) and an issued weapon (short sword) and since they're trained similar to a first level fighter, I put it in as "Shortsword +1 (1d6)" and add a backup weapon or two - "Dagger (1d4)" for example. I also change the hit dice to d10 (fighter). Then I copy that record and change the name to "Town Guard Sergeant" (who is trained a bit better and has better armor). Change the AC to splint and shield (17) and they're trained to like 3rd level, so they get "Shortsword +3 (1d6)". If this is a walled town, they probably have some trained archers, so I copy the original NPC, change the name to "Town Archer" and the primary weapon to "Longbow +1 (1d8)". Then they'll have a leader, who is probably like a 5th level fighter and used to do some adventuring, so he has a magical longsword and some good armor, and probably a name. I copy the NPC again, put in a name, change the weapon to "Longsword +7 (1d8+2)", AC to 21 (Roman ensemble +2, shield +1). They're all "physical" types, so their primes are Str, Dex, Con for saves. Voila. In less time than it took to write this post, I could have all the NPC records I need to generate 100s of town guards if needed on the fly, including some archers to protect the walls, and a Sergeant for each squad, plus a "named" NPC for the leader.

vodokar
April 22nd, 2017, 15:01
Very true and you'll still be able to do that. Not all NPC characters are basic town guards, however. Some are important centerpieces to adventures and have above average attributes that are statted out in adventures and use the normal stat bonuses. For those, it would be easier to just fill in the class, level and attributes listed in the module. The ruleset will calculate the appropriate bonuses and saving throws for you and you are good to go. We are both working towards the same purpose here; giving the DM options for streamlining his prep-work and in-game game running. DM's will obviously mix and match whatever techniques seem appropriate towards that end.

Andraax
April 22nd, 2017, 15:17
That's why the CnC ruleset has a "character" mode for NPCs.

vodokar
April 22nd, 2017, 15:26
Yes, the very same one that this ruleset has. That is exactly what we were talking about. I added functionality to it that was not previously there. If you felt that wasn't needed, you are entitled to your opinion. However, others will like the increased functionality. I've done my best to provide for both.

leozelig
April 22nd, 2017, 18:54
Nice work, vodokar. I believe it's appreciated :)

FlightlessScotsman
April 24th, 2017, 02:58
You're a gentleman and a scholar Vodokar. All of your hard work is very much appreciated.

Time to dust off my Greyhawk campaign box set and throw some players into The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun.

Holy_Rage
April 24th, 2017, 22:29
Is there any module available for the ruleset please?

vodokar
April 25th, 2017, 00:16
Adventure modules? or Manuals? There are no AD&D manuals, because we do not have permission from Wotc to use them. However, as the ruleset is layered over the C&C ruleset, any module that was created for C&C is usable in the AD&D ruleset. Check in your library. That includes The C&C Players Handbook (which has spells similar to the AD&D spells), the C&C version of the monster manual and any adventures in the store for C&C. The ruleset is built to be able to parse these modules and utilize the data in the AD&D engine. I have been working on some actual AD&D specific adventure modules for Expeditious Retreat Press, but got sidetracked with so much going on.

Holy_Rage
April 25th, 2017, 00:22
I was talking manuals basically, having to copy-paste every single spell can be tedious. But if C&C is similar, I guess having a basis and then editing the differences once applied on the character sheet is already a huge step forth compared to beginning from scratch.

Thanks!

vodokar
April 25th, 2017, 00:26
Absolutely, you'll find C&C spells very similar. Of course, there are some spells that are renamed to avoid ip infringement, but basically do the same thing.

vodokar
April 27th, 2017, 19:40
New version 1.3.6 posted.

Version 1.3.6
Bug Fix: Script Error when making melee or ranged attacks with NPC Monsters. [Fixed]
Bug Fix: Script Error when making damage rolls with NPC Monsters. [Fixed]

Had forgotten to give default values for strength and dexterity so that the value would not be nil for NPC Monsters, which don't have attributes.

Next things I'm planning to work on is a new spell page for npc's and possibly take a look at the encumbrance system. I don't expect to have a new release for two or three weeks unless those things go very quickly.

Krimson
April 27th, 2017, 19:51
I notice that in C&C and in your mod that checking "Character" on an NPC doesn't let you add them to the party. Are you able to add the "ally" box that C&C has so you can add friendly NPCs easily?

vodokar
April 27th, 2017, 20:27
Krimson, Can you post a screen shot pointing to this "Ally" box so that I know what you are referring to.

The only thing that I am aware of is this: 18693 on the combat tracker, which also exists on the AD&D ruleset combat tracker with the exact same functionality: default of hostile, but can be clicked to set as friendly or neutral.

If someone that is a pro with C&C knows of what this "Ally" feature is and what it does can explain to me, I'll see if I can track it down.

Krimson
April 28th, 2017, 16:03
Hmm... You might want to disregard that last question. My apologies. I may have seen that feature in a different ruleset as I can't seem to see it now. Or, somehow C&C glitched because I had to delete my previous test game as it was crashing the client.

Trenloe
April 28th, 2017, 16:04
I may have seen that feature in a different ruleset...
Savage Worlds probably.

vodokar
May 5th, 2017, 20:59
Latest improvements coming in the next update.

I have now added weapon damage types which act against damage resistances, damage immunities and damage vulnerabilities.

This is the collapsed view of the weapons section: 18850. Let's expand the first weapon entry: 18851. I input a damage type piercing.

Let's see what that does.
18852 First was against a target with no resistance. It shows the damage type piercing, but does full damage, because there was no resistance. Second was a creature that had an effect RESIST: 4 piercing applied to it. It shows that the damage was partially resisted.

Damage Types Allowed: acid, cold, electricity, fire, poison, sonic, adamantine, bludgeoning, cold iron, magic, mithral, piercing, silver, slashing, nonlethal

Limitations:
It is possible to add more than one damage type separated by a comma. ex. piercing, acid, magic However, resistances treat the entire damage value as being limited to the level of the resistance i.e. if you did 1d6 piercing, acid damage with a roll of 6 to a creature that had RESIST: 5 acid, you would do 1 damage due to the acid resistance even though it isn't resistant to piercing. Not perfect.

Also, if you wanted a weapon that did bonus damage of a specific type, you would have to create a different weapon to apply that ex. 1st weapon copy: 1d6 piercing and 2nd weapon copy: 1d4 acid to make a weapon that does 1d6 piercing + 1d4 acid. Again, not perfect.

Not sure if I can work past those limitations, but, still, it's better than what we had before, which was nothing.

Resistances have to be put into effects that are dropped on creatures.

Commands are:
IMMUNE: damagetype
RESIST: # damagetype
VULN: # damagetype

Leaving # blank in RESIST and VULN defaults to half damage.

And for you magic afficianado's out there, I got you covered also. 18853. It works just like the weapon damage.

Holy_Rage
May 5th, 2017, 22:09
Quite nifty I must say, will automate things quite a bit when resistances and immunities come into play. Thank you for your continuing work on the ruleset, Vodokar.

taoistpunk
May 6th, 2017, 12:19
Looks great!! Can't wait to test that out...thanks for that work.

vodokar
May 10th, 2017, 07:03
The new version 1.3.7 as promised. Has the features previously mentioned. Didn't get to adding anything else not yet mentioned. Get it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36009-AD-amp-D-Ruleset).

wadjet
May 2nd, 2018, 20:07
Discovering your work was the only reason I took the plunge and ordered the Ultimate edition. I've coaxed my old friends Junior High and High School to play and am working on an old-skool campaign as I write this. Thanks so much for all your hard work. If there's a new thread where the discussion is still on-going it would be great to post it here so others can pick up the trail and follow your work. Kudos and thanks again!

Gray Geist
June 8th, 2018, 02:08
Hey Vodoker, I've been feeling around the forums in hopes of eventually purchasing FG. My whole post is here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44194-Change-My-Mind-Invest-in-FG-need-top-5e-capability-but-also-OSR-ShadowofDemonLord

The jist of it is that I intend to play 5e on FG (which is obviously no problem) but I am also hoping to "invest in the future" because I definitely see myself playing Lamentations of the Flame Princess (and Shadow of the Demon Lord) in the near future. I've seen your name pop up in google searches of such subjects relating to FG which kind of mention how your ample AD&D rule set here is basically the OSR/Boxset rule set for Lamentations and would require possible the least conversions or headache. I'll shoot straight with you - right now I have zero experience in running AD&D (I only run 5e) but I've read Lamentations rules so any jargon may go over my head in ways. As the "expert" on the matter what are your thoughts and opinions?

damned
June 8th, 2018, 02:18
Hey Vodoker, I've been feeling around the forums in hopes of eventually purchasing FG. My whole post is here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44194-Change-My-Mind-Invest-in-FG-need-top-5e-capability-but-also-OSR-ShadowofDemonLord

The jist of it is that I intend to play 5e on FG (which is obviously no problem) but I am also hoping to "invest in the future" because I definitely see myself playing Lamentations of the Flame Princess (and Shadow of the Demon Lord) in the near future. I've seen your name pop up in google searches of such subjects relating to FG which kind of mention how your ample AD&D rule set here is basically the OSR/Boxset rule set for Lamentations and would require possible the least conversions or headache. I'll shoot straight with you - right now I have zero experience in running AD&D (I only run 5e) but I've read Lamentations rules so any jargon may go over my head in ways. As the "expert" on the matter what are your thoughts and opinions?

Unfortunately Vodokar has been away for a while - he is still around just not able to participate on the forums at the moment.
This extension does a few things:

It uses DESC AC, it uses the Goldenrod graphic character sheet and it converts all the Castles&Crusades monsters to AD&D stats.
Its pretty cool. You do need the CnC ruleset ($10) and you then have all your required content.
From what I understand LoftFP is probably closer to B/X in terms of mechanics (which is still not far from either AD&D or CnC) but its the story and theme that differs far more greatly.

The other very excellent AD&D ruleset is the one from Celestian which started from the 5E base.

Andraax
June 8th, 2018, 02:42
Pretty sure that Lamentations uses an ascending AC, so the base CnC would be better for running it.

celestian
June 8th, 2018, 03:52
Pretty sure that Lamentations uses an ascending AC, so the base CnC would be better for running it.

If all they are looking for is Ascending AC it wouldn't take much work to use it with AD&D Core. As is now it does support Ascending AC on npcs.

https://i.imgur.com/RpEudQP.png

I only display descending AC and use ascending AC and BAB for hit calculations since that's what most of the system with 5E (and CoreRPG?) rulesets are built around. Was just a matter of flipping some values for ACs > 10 or 10 or below. I've considered adding a campaign setting that allows DMs to use Ascending AC entirely tho for AD&D it's not really a big deal... and it's all automated so the "math is difficult" bit is a non-issue.

All that would need to be tweaked, via extension, would be how AC is calculated for PCs. Manually setting it should still function I believe though.

I've not run extended testing on this however.

Andraax
June 8th, 2018, 03:56
It looks like the mechanic for Lamentations is d20 + modifiers, greater than AC is a hit. Which is the same as CnC. The AD&D ruleset uses a table based THAC0.

celestian
June 8th, 2018, 04:05
It looks like the mechanic for Lamentations is d20 + modifiers, greater than AC is a hit. Which is the same as CnC. The AD&D ruleset uses a table based THAC0.

Sorry, yeah, I wasn't making a case for Vodokar's "AD&D" ruleset.

Gray Geist
June 8th, 2018, 16:39
Wow thanks for the quick replies guys. The community here is insanely active and helpful.

Sorry, yeah, I wasn't making a case for Vodokar's "AD&D" ruleset.

Hmmm I see. Well like I said I'm trying to feel out the future use of FG so if the AD&D ruleset isn't the closest to the B/X (AD&D) rule set of Lamentations I wonder what is on here? I'm not enough of a guru to know :confused:

Andraax
June 8th, 2018, 17:07
Hmmm I see. Well like I said I'm trying to feel out the future use of FG so if the AD&D ruleset isn't the closest to the B/X (AD&D) rule set of Lamentations I wonder what is on here? I'm not enough of a guru to know :confused:

From the commercial rulesets, I would say CnC. There are some community rulesets that might be close as well. Lamentations is *not* based on AD&D, it's an "OSR" style ruleset. I know that might seem confusing... :-)

Edit: I just looked over the free rules for Lamentations, and it should work mostly with CnC out of the box (you'd have to setup some modifiers, effects, weapons, equipment, etc). There are a couple things that won't automate correctly, but you should be able to modify those pretty easily with an extension if you want. Otherwise, it would just be a matter of the GM and Players knowing that "X" is off by one or something like that.

Two examples I noted - 75% cover gives a bonus of +6 to AC in CnC, whereas it's +7 in Lamentations, and apparently a shield only gives a +1 bonus to AC in ranged combat in Lamentations while it gives that bonus to both melee and ranged in CnC. Minor stuff like that.

Andraax
June 8th, 2018, 22:16
And I'm starting to think that Gray Geist can't see my posts for some reason...

;)

Gray Geist
June 9th, 2018, 04:37
From the commercial rulesets, I would say CnC. There are some community rulesets that might be close as well. Lamentations is *not* based on AD&D, it's an "OSR" style ruleset. I know that might seem confusing... :-)

Edit: I just looked over the free rules for Lamentations, and it should work mostly with CnC out of the box (you'd have to setup some modifiers, effects, weapons, equipment, etc). There are a couple things that won't automate correctly, but you should be able to modify those pretty easily with an extension if you want. Otherwise, it would just be a matter of the GM and Players knowing that "X" is off by one or something like that.

Two examples I noted - 75% cover gives a bonus of +6 to AC in CnC, whereas it's +7 in Lamentations, and apparently a shield only gives a +1 bonus to AC in ranged combat in Lamentations while it gives that bonus to both melee and ranged in CnC. Minor stuff like that.

Ahah! So CnC does seem a better fit than the creation on this very thread huh? Interesting! I think I am sold - all I've got to do now is get some funds together from friends (splitting cost of initial purchase) and organize a game to begin in the next month or so.

StylinLP38
September 5th, 2018, 07:32
Ok, it seems this thread has gone back for a few years with many updates. Can someone sum up the current choices of AD&D rule sets? Reading comments on this thread is difficult to figure out what is going on.

1. Do I have to buy CnC?
2. What about all the books including all the monsters and equipment and what source they come from?
3. Im interested mostly in AD&D 2nd edition books.

damned
September 5th, 2018, 07:44
Ok, it seems this thread has gone back for a few years with many updates. Can someone sum up the current choices of AD&D rule sets? Reading comments on this thread is difficult to figure out what is going on.

1. Do I have to buy CnC?
2. What about all the books including all the monsters and equipment and what source they come from?
3. Im interested mostly in AD&D 2nd edition books.

There is no option to purchase the ADnD books for FG at this time.
The celestian ruleset is the most full featured ruleset option for ADnD.
The vodokar ruleset does require you to have the CnC ruleset (its a steam at $10) and it will use the CnC data and convert it for use with ADnD.

vodokar hasnt been around much for sometime and the ruleset may have had some errors creep in with underlying ruleset changes.
The celestian ruleset is by far the more popular of the two.

leozelig
September 8th, 2018, 01:28
celestian’s is free and constantly upgraded. For AD&D, that is clearly the better option.

Trenloe
September 8th, 2018, 09:34
And Celestian's version is aimed at AD&D 2nd edition, whereas this one is aimed at 1st edition.

celestian
September 8th, 2018, 16:39
And Celestian's version is aimed at AD&D 2nd edition, whereas this one is aimed at 1st edition.

I actually "aim" at both as best I can, tho I do tend to lean towards THACO. That said there is a extension that does twiddle the knobs to set some 1e specific features/values.

TheCastleKeeper
April 4th, 2020, 21:05
Hi, Loading it into FGU, it says Error. Line 25 Position 28 should be ";" not "", whatever that means. In any rate, it won't load.

Thanks,

Rodney

damned
April 5th, 2020, 04:12
Hi, Loading it into FGU, it says Error. Line 25 Position 28 should be ";" not "", whatever that means. In any rate, it won't load.

Thanks,

Rodney

please use the included 2E ruleset. This one is pretty much unsupported now.