PDA

View Full Version : question on importing books into FG

Giddoen
January 9th, 2017, 03:35
Ok guys I have several pdf's of a dead game system and I would like to import them into FG's library? So I can have the info on the screen while playing and to share with the players....

Thanks

dulux-oz
January 9th, 2017, 03:39
So what's your question Giddoen?

How to do this?

What are the copyright implications? The material will still be under copyright, which means that you couldn't distribute anything - personal use is, of course, OK.

Something else?

And which Ruleset were you thinking of - I suspect you'll probably be better off with CoreRPG then anything else.

Giddoen
January 9th, 2017, 03:47
thanks for the quick reply, Dulux-Oz, I have all the PDF's for Green Ronin's Warhammer Frpg, and would like to import some of them into FG to help me run a game so I dont have to keep flipping thru books while trying to GM.

I of course would not post the files or any copy righted material.

Giddoen

dulux-oz
January 9th, 2017, 04:13
Well, if you've got them as pdfs then the easiest thing to do is use my DOE: OLE Extension to open up the pdf from inside FG.

I don't thing something like par5e will be too helpful - you could give it a try and see what the results are like.

Other than that then you might just have to create a bunch of Story Entries and copy-&-paste the text from the pdf to FG - then export the Story entries as a Module.

Incidentally, I've been playing WFRP since GW first published it - I've got all the Hogshead stuff as well as the original stuff and most of its in pdf form as well as hardcopy. I've always had it in the back of my head to do a WFRP Ruleset, etc, but I never seem to have the time :(

Good luck with things.

Cheers

Myrdin Potter
January 9th, 2017, 08:02
I commonly convert books, especially tables and details that can be used in games. As long as you only use it for your game, then there should be no issue.

Dulux-Oz has some good suggestions above. I would add that as well as displaying the PDF, you probably do want to create some content that can be dragged and dropped onto character sheets or can be quickly found by you. That should be created inside FG.

damned
January 9th, 2017, 08:32
Consider using this great tool by Ikael if you have the Savage Worlds ruleset. You can edit the final output to change the ruleset tags so you can use with systems other than Savage Worlds.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35607-SW-Enhanced-Library-for-Fantasy-Grounds-v3-2-2

You might also have a look at MoreCore and see if it might work for you.

Giddoen
January 9th, 2017, 20:27
Awesome thanks for the info...what is DOE:OLE extension?

Zacchaeus
January 9th, 2017, 20:57
It's a Dulux-Oz Extension. You can find details here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34735-DOE-OLE-Extension).

LordEntrails
January 9th, 2017, 20:59
Awesome thanks for the info...what is DOE:OLE extension?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34735-DOE-OLE-Extension