PDA

View Full Version : Taking turns at DM

Demonhart
January 9th, 2017, 01:47
I have a random question. I play pretty much with the same group of people every week and one of the people in my party wants to take a shot at DMing. I own pretty much all of the material for 5e in FG so it would make sense for him to just use my stuff (if we were able to play in person it would be like him using my books).

Is there any easy way to do this? We are all spread out across the country, so him using my machine isnt an option.

LordEntrails
January 9th, 2017, 02:58
Not that I know of :(

If everyone has a standard license, then anyone can host, but the DLC (i.e. the DMG and modules etc) are licensed to a person. Because of issues with digital copies and piracy etc, even though you could loan a friend a physical book, there's no way to do so with a digital copy (yet). Maybe in the future. Maybe someone else will jump in with something I don't know about.

Answulf
January 9th, 2017, 03:53
Not the answer you were hoping for, but two suggestions:

1.) Running a game with the core ruleset can be just as enjoyable as a game with all the extra books. In fact, the simplicity might be better for a new GM.
2.) He could buy a single module and have everything he needs to run a game. There are even a few free ones floating around.

damned
January 9th, 2017, 08:16
Have the new GM just use the SRD or as Answulf suggests some premaid adventures (Lost Mines of Phandlever in particular) are pretty much self contained.
If the group dont have licenses they may have to bite the bullet and get their own standard licenses or they could each chip in $5-10 to get the new GM a 1 month sub and an adventure to run.

And encourage your group to support the new GM and to start thinking about who might take the next turn.... :)

rickyhunt
January 9th, 2017, 13:29
I have the Ultimate license and all the players have the free version. Can one of them GM as long as I have the Ultimate license or can only I host a game?

damned
January 9th, 2017, 13:38
I have the Ultimate license and all the players have the free version. Can one of them GM as long as I have the Ultimate license or can only I host a game?

Unfortunately its the latter.

Demonhart
January 9th, 2017, 21:57
Thanks guys. Thats frustrating. Seems like an easy workaround would be for me to start the server and assign DM rights and him be able to access everything. Im pretty sure Roll20 has a feature similar to that, but I havent been on that program in a while. Kind of like getting the ship up in the air and moving and handing controls to the co pilot.

LordEntrails
January 9th, 2017, 22:12
Thanks guys. Thats frustrating. Seems like an easy workaround would be for me to start the server and assign DM rights and him be able to access everything. Im pretty sure Roll20 has a feature similar to that, but I havent been on that program in a while. Kind of like getting the ship up in the air and moving and handing controls to the co pilot.
Unfortunately, currently there is no way to do such inside FG. You can always add such a suggestion to the wishlist (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/):)

Actually, there is already the suggestion here; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40882

damned
January 9th, 2017, 22:41
This is unlikely to happen anytime soon. The current architecture just doesnt support it.

JohnD
January 10th, 2017, 06:02
If you have all the content, create a new campaign with you as the DM. Host it and have everyone connect to you and use your FG books to create their characters. Email the campaign to your new/temp DM and it will have everyone's character already. He can then host the campaign... he won't have your books but the essentials of each character will be there. You can also request to open your content while connected to him and he will have the ability to approve your request to open say the PHB.

Trenloe
January 10th, 2017, 15:16
You can also request to open your content while connected to him and he will have the ability to approve your request to open say the PHB.
Just to expand on this - it doesn't allow everyone to access the PHB of another player. This only allows those players who own the PHB, for example, to have access to the PHB on their own instance of FG - even if the GM doesn't have the PHB. This is only relevant for player orientated modules.

Zhern
January 10th, 2017, 16:48

Roll20 does have the ability to assign DM rights to another player, BUT they cannot access your marketplace content (maps, tokens, WotC modules, etc) or your custom library.

Demonhart
January 10th, 2017, 19:57
Thanks everyone, while not the answer I was hoping for all of these are very thorough answers.

May just have him run something more basic and tell my cheap, spoiled group to deal with it lol.

damned
January 11th, 2017, 00:43
Thanks everyone, while not the answer I was hoping for all of these are very thorough answers.

May just have him run something more basic and tell my cheap, spoiled group to deal with it lol.

I would do that. Or encourage them to chip in $5 each to get him started....

JohnD
January 11th, 2017, 03:37
Forego one Venti Quad Pour Vanilla Latte or whatever they're called and invest in your DM.