PDA

View Full Version : Monk super squishy

tailsk1
January 8th, 2017, 22:37
Hello guys, I'm currently a lvl 5 monk and I have 43hp 18AC
Today I fought against a fire giant with my 3 friends, and I died in the first turn -_-
Is there something I can do to make the monk less squishy? Maybe a multiclass?

BDaniel
January 8th, 2017, 22:53
Use your speed to stick and then move out of its range.

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2017, 22:54
Stay away from Fire Giants I think would be the best advice. That's a challenging encounter and running away might have been a good idea. Also it's not just a question of AC and hit points, but nothing wrong with your stats that I can see.

RCathcart
January 8th, 2017, 23:29
Always know when you're outmatched...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgj3nZWtOfA

Nickademus
January 8th, 2017, 23:42
I have noticed in practice that monks were a bit squishy. A simple fix would be to wait a round to let the tanks get the enemies' attention and then engage hoping less of them will attack you. Dodging is a good action when your attacks won't do as much as you'd like, or as a bonus action with ki (never underestimate Dodge). Discretion is the better part of valor (as is knowing which encounters you're not supposed to fight cause they're out there).

Some feats would help with your toughness and mobility also, if the GM uses them.

tailsk1
January 8th, 2017, 23:43
Use your speed to stick and then move out of its range.

I didn't know how long was his range, I thought I was out of his range but no, boom, died in the first hit :(

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2017, 23:50
I didn't know how long was his range, I thought I was out of his range but no, boom, died in the first hit :(
Live and learn

Err well, learn anyway *G*

Nickademus
January 9th, 2017, 02:13
Live and learn

... and you call me cruel...

Zacchaeus
January 9th, 2017, 11:13
When I replied above I didn't have the MM handy but on looking at it now you must have been incredibly unlucky to be killed outright by the Giant. I assume it must have thrown a rock at you (and that you had your maximum hp) since it's Greatsword attack wouldn't have been sufficient to kill your character (unless it rolled a critical and rolled six 6's). Even with a Rock it must have been a critical hit and the damage roll must have been at least 43 and that's pretty much at the top end of the damage potential. So I don't really think there's much you could have done to prevent that given the enormous dice that must have been rolled to achieve death.

arkanis
January 9th, 2017, 13:04
Hello guys, I'm currently a lvl 5 monk and I have 43hp 18AC
Today I fought against a fire giant with my 3 friends, and I died in the first turn -_-
Is there something I can do to make the monk less squishy? Maybe a multiclass?

I know your pain. My group come from a Rolemaster background, and although we consider 5e a well-rounded system, we unanimously and profoundly dislike the decoupling between hit and damage.
A high damage output monster hits you and even if it was by the skin of the teeth, BAM!, you take the same damage as somebody hit by a large margin.
We often found ourselves cheering a high attack roll from one of our PCs only to be underwhelmed by the damage roll.
I wish i had the skills to make an extension for a progressive damage chart.

damned
January 9th, 2017, 13:58
I know your pain. My group come from a Rolemaster background, and although we consider 5e a well-rounded system, we unanimously and profoundly dislike the decoupling between hit and damage.
A high damage output monster hits you and even if it was by the skin of the teeth, BAM!, you take the same damage as somebody hit by a large margin.
We often found ourselves cheering a high attack roll from one of our PCs only to be underwhelmed by the damage roll.
I wish i had the skills to make an extension for a progressive damage chart.

One thing you could do here - its a little clumsy - on a hit with a narrow margin, say by 3 or 5, you could apply the 1/2 modifier before rolling damage.
You could also use the -5, -2, +2, +5 modifiers....

Nickademus
January 9th, 2017, 14:00
When I replied above I didn't have the MM handy but on looking at it now you must have been incredibly unlucky to be killed outright by the Giant. I assume it must have thrown a rock at you (and that you had your maximum hp) since it's Greatsword attack wouldn't have been sufficient to kill your character (unless it rolled a critical and rolled six 6's). Even with a Rock it must have been a critical hit and the damage roll must have been at least 43 and that's pretty much at the top end of the damage potential. So I don't really think there's much you could have done to prevent that given the enormous dice that must have been rolled to achieve death.

In light of that, did you anger the GM that game? Beware the grudge monsters, for they are fatal.

arkanis
January 10th, 2017, 08:47
One thing you could do here - its a little clumsy - on a hit with a narrow margin, say by 3 or 5, you could apply the 1/2 modifier before rolling damage.
You could also use the -5, -2, +2, +5 modifiers....

That's a nice suggestion, damned, but I've a more granular system in mind but without the proper automation, it's just too much work for what it's worth it.

Nickademus
January 10th, 2017, 11:36
That's a nice suggestion, damned, but I've a more granular system in mind but without the proper automation, it's just too much work for what it's worth it.

It never hurts to share...

JohnD
January 10th, 2017, 17:36
Live and learn

Haha! 😂