PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Spell Attack Modifiers

TheIrishFighter
January 8th, 2017, 22:12
Hello! I'm having an issue with my first FG campaign: When a player makes a spell attack roll, be it melee or ranged, only the proficiency bonus is added. I'm fairly certain that the relative ability modifier should be included with that roll, and it seems strange that normal weapons take this into affect while spells do not. Any help?

Thanks

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2017, 22:24
Welcome IrishFighter to FG and to the community.

Yes, spells attacks do add the proficiency and ability bonuses and that is how FG calculates the attack bonus.

If you are not seeing this then it is likely that things haven't been set up properly. The picture below shows a 1st level Cleric with a Wisdom score of 16. I don't know what character class you are having a problem with but the actions tab should show a similar thing for your character with the only difference being the +x to the ranged attack.

TheIrishFighter
January 8th, 2017, 22:28
I see yes, I didn't realize you had to manually enter the ability modifier in that "magnifying glass" section for each spell when you crate them. Thank you, resolved!

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2017, 22:58
No, you don't have to manually enter the ability. If you created your character by dragging and dropping your class into the character sheet FG will set the ability for you. So as I said above it may be that something different than that was done.

Also you only need to update the ability in the Power bar for each spell level to correct the problem rather than for each individual spell.