PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice on personal skill point distribution

Hermundure
January 8th, 2017, 18:57
Hi all,

Right now I am preparing a few pregens for a gaming session, this time for CoC 7e (which I never GMed) and I got 2 questions:

1.) I recognise the occupational skills on the pregens are already distributet but no personal skill points has been given away.
The idea is to let the players set their personal skills like they think would fit their characters but I found no info on what the max is, which can be achieved in the character creation process.

For example Character X has 170 free personal points, by occupation he has 50 in Dodge, 60 in Spot Hidden and 40 in Fighting (Brawl)
With these 170 free points alone he could bring all these three skills to 100% and still has 20 points left, this seems a bit much or is this just working as intended?

2.) In case I create a character from scratch, I would like to know the maximum value to distribute the occupational points also.

If there is some hint on it in the rules I really must have overread it - sorry if thats the case here :-/

Herm

damned
January 9th, 2017, 09:39
You *could* do it this way... 100 is always a fumble though.
You will also find your characters probably miss a lot of clues or other opportunities being quite one dimensional....
I couldnt find any solid advice or ruling on not allocating so many points to a small number of skills....

Start by rolling your characters Attributes. Then pick an occupation - this will generate the number of occupation and personal points. Then allocate them as you will....

Hermundure
January 9th, 2017, 14:04
Yes, that was my understanding of the rules also...

Thats really strange...

Maybe for the one shots it would be best to just distribute the personal points myself to the pregens to evade any self-gimping on the investigator-side :-)

damned
January 9th, 2017, 14:18

Thats really strange...

Maybe for the one shots it would be best to just distribute the personal points myself to the pregens to evade any self-gimping on the investigator-side :-)

I would - it allows you to put points where they will be useful for this game and also lets you get on with the game :)

Trenloe
January 9th, 2017, 15:20

Thats really strange...
Not really. Don't think of Call of Cthulhu as your usual level based RPG. Maybe the character spent all their free time shooting guns, or driving an automobile, or reading up on anthropology, or whatever. CoC scenarios usually require a lot of different slills, so it's not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket anyway. But if want to, there's nothing stopping you.

Skellan
January 14th, 2017, 11:53
There is an optional rule in 7E that suggests adding a cap of 75% to skills during character creation. Not sure if this helps?

Also I think the pregens convert a bit funny in the devil in the details module. I think it gives too many free personal points tthan what you would usually get with a starting character. It could be that the pregens do not need any additional points spending

damned
January 14th, 2017, 23:26
I think in most cases pregens are done so dont add anything to them.

Eldarc
January 15th, 2017, 01:57
Hello,

First, excuse my poor English please.

I got the 7e ruleset and I am trying to build a character for a simple one-shot game. After rolling his characteristics rolls and picking his occupation, I'm trying to spend his occupation skill points. Since the character is a Police Detective, he has the "Firearms" skill. The ruleset selects this skill by default, but the blank one, and adds another Firearms Handgun skill, which is not "selected", as if the Police Detective had not this skill. Since a character can't buy a blank "Firearms" skill (page 64), I understand I can't spend points on that skill and I think that I should spend them on the Firearms Handgun skill instead. Is that correct? Because I actually can spend points on the blank Firearms skill, and if I select the Firearms Handgun and I spend OCCUPATION skill points on it, when I press TAB to update the sheet, the ruleset removes the points spent on the OCCUPATION column, they are added to the PERSONAL points column, and it deselects Firearms Handgun skill again.

I know, I apologise again for my English. I hope you understand my point... Thank you.

Sjelsyk
January 15th, 2017, 10:29
Eldarc did you add the "Handgun" name in the Occupation skill part? See picture below. If there's not an automatic red mark behind the skill, you can't place Occupation points on the skill tab.

Eldarc
January 15th, 2017, 14:03
Thank you very much Sjelsyk! This has fixed my issue.

One more question. On that little Police Detective window, what should be introduced in the first field, between "Police Detective" and "Occupation Points"??

Thanks again!

Sjelsyk
January 15th, 2017, 14:13
I've used it like this (when I added a Occupation from the Investigators Handbook):

Just a description of the Occupation and what it is :) There's no text here because in the Keepers Handbook there's no description of the Occupations (as far as I can recall), but the Investigators Handbook has a lot more information on Occupations.

And NP, glad I could help :)

Eldarc
January 15th, 2017, 14:15
Oh! Ok, I see. Thanks again! You did help indeed =)

damned
January 16th, 2017, 00:07
I've used it like this (when I added a Occupation from the Investigators Handbook):

Just a description of the Occupation and what it is :) There's no text here because in the Keepers Handbook there's no description of the Occupations (as far as I can recall), but the Investigators Handbook has a lot more information on Occupations.

And NP, glad I could help :)

Yeah Sjelsk is correct - its empty because that is what is in the Keepers Guide...