PDA

View Full Version : Rolls and modifying them before the results are know.

iemckinnon
January 8th, 2017, 16:51
New to 5e as a GM and I was looking around but I am not sure how to frame this question for a search, so sorry if it has been asked before.
Many 5e abilities seem to revolve around knowing the roll of the die, but being able to modify it, or reroll before the results are known.
How is this handled in FG2 5e games where it gives the results to the players as soon as the roll is made?
I mean, I guess you could just have them roll and do the calculations yourself, but does this not get rid of a lot of 5e functionality?

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2017, 17:19
Their are several threads that discus fudging rolls and results. But, I don't have links to them at the moment. But, not a problem that you asked.

Their is an option to turn on manual rolls in the GM options. That's really the only way.

Here's my response to a post in the Commons as to why etc:
Basically, FG can't flawlessly accommodate fudging, not because of technology/capability, but because if you are using the automation, then in order to fudge a roll, you have to interrupt the workflow, and as soon as you do that, the delay becomes obvious to the players.

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2017, 17:20
Here's the thread from above that has some more details; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28235-manual-entry-dice-dialog-box-possible&p=312711&viewfull=1#post312711

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2017, 17:53
I'm not absolutely clear on what your are referring to but I assume that you are talking about the kind of situation where the character rolls a dice and can then have some additional amount added to that. For example Bardic inspiration.

If this is what you are taking about then depending on what settings the DM has enabled all that the players would know is that they rolled a dice and got 'x' on the roll. They wouldn't know if that hit or not (However if the DM is generous and has the option turned on then the players will know whether it was a hit or not).

Again if this is what you are talking about FG doesn't handle the additional dice automatically (in other words there isn't really a way to roll the additional dice and then add then together automatically); so that would need to be handled manually.

anemeth
January 8th, 2017, 17:56
I make my players roll on the tower (bishop) to hide rolls from them. I can tell them if they succeeded or not. I tried to do the same with attacks, but it got to be where I was needing reminded to tell the person whether they hit or miss...

Trenloe
January 8th, 2017, 18:10
As Zacchaeus says, turn off the campaign options "Show results to clients": https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Options#Game_.28GM.29

Then it is up to the GM when they say what the result is. If players want to adjust the roll they can put a number in the modifier widget below the chat window (if it's a random number, roll the dice first and drag that result to the modifier widget). Then drag the original dice result from the chat window to the target again, the modifier will be added to the original roll and the result shown to the GM - so the GM doesn't need to check on the NPC side, FG will report the result to the GM and they can communicate as needed.

You can test this out yourself - start another instance of FG on the same computer as a running GM instance (campaign loaded) and "Join Game" with a server address of localhost This will allow you to see what the players see and experiment with what I mention above.

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2017, 18:14
I make my players roll on the tower (bishop) to hide rolls from them. I can tell them if they succeeded or not. I tried to do the same with attacks, but it got to be where I was needing reminded to tell the person whether they hit or miss...

You don't need to get players to roll attacks (or anything) into the dice tower to hide the result from them. Go into options and find the one that says Chat: show results to client and make sure that it's set to 'Off'. The players will still see their roll and will see the number rolled but they won't get any other information - so they won't see if they've hit or not. You only want to be rolling into the dice tower if you really don't want the players to get any idea of what they rolled. Certainly if you fudge dice a lot then rolling into the dice tower accomplishes his quite well.

Varsuuk
January 8th, 2017, 18:20
I think they might mean like an ability where after you roll, you have the option to add something or reroll or whatever BEFORE the DM informs you of the success/failure.

I'm guessing that as long as you don't have fg tell player if to hit hit, then it is simple matter of the, deciding...don't trust my roll, I'll add the points before you tell me if hit. then they do as those above said, roll it, drag into modifiers then drag original roll to the npc and it will now report if hit to DM with new roll data.

Nickademus
January 8th, 2017, 21:19
What I've seen done in games it to simply not target. The player rolls the attack/check and then decides to use the ability or not. When satisfied, the player drags the chat window result onto the target (possibly with the new modifier in the modifier box) and FG applies it normally.