PDA

View Full Version : Making a magic item with 2 different types of damage

kalmarjan
January 8th, 2017, 08:07
Let's say I have a shocking lance that deals lightning damage as well as the normal d12, but there is the ability to "load" arrows into it to make a ranged attack (60 feet range) that deals d6+1 lightning damage. (But no lance damage.) (Basically like "shooting" the arrows like bullets.) I figured out how to make it both a ranged and a melee weapon, but how do I split the damage up? Is it possible to have two modes of damage on a weapon? Right now I can only get it to do 1d12+1d6+1 on the ranged attack, and I want it to ONLY say 1d6+1 on the ranged attack.

I looked through the forums, and the closest that I got was the item forge, but I don't own the FG DMG module, so I can only use the SRD, but I still don't know how to do something like that.

Also, is it possible to have effects happen if say, someone scored a crit with the weapon? (Maybe like a burst for 3d6 damage or something?)

Nickademus
January 8th, 2017, 10:40
I believe the official word FG looks for is 'electricty' not lightning. You should be able to add a second damage entry on the Actions tab.

There are no crit damage effects. I made an extension a while back that added this by SW didn't feel like adding it to the rulesets.

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2017, 12:00
1) Create the weapon and set the damage dice for the lightning (and it is lightning not electricity) in the damage line
2) Give it the property thrown (range x/x)
3) When the weapon is equipped it will give you two lines one for thrown and one for melee
4) In the melee line click the magnifying glass and add another line for the melee damage
5) In character effects add a new effect DMG: ndn, critical; set the targeting to self

Note that the the effect will give the additional dice on any critical not just the damage done by this weapon; so the DM would need to turn off the effect in the CT when a crit was scored with any other attack.

kalmarjan
January 8th, 2017, 13:57
1) Create the weapon and set the damage dice for the lightning (and it is lightning not electricity) in the damage line
2) Give it the property thrown (range x/x)
3) When the weapon is equipped it will give you two lines one for thrown and one for melee
4) In the melee line click the magnifying glass and add another line for the melee damage
5) In character effects add a new effect DMG: ndn, critical; set the targeting to self

Note that the the effect will give the additional dice on any critical not just the damage done by this weapon; so the DM would need to turn off the effect in the CT when a crit was scored with any other attack.

Will this work this way as an NPC item? Or will this need to be done on a per-case basis for each NPC?

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2017, 14:46
Will this work this way as an NPC item? Or will this need to be done on a per-case basis for each NPC?

Well you can't give weapons to NPCs per se; you have to add entries to their actions tab to do that. The effect should work if placed on an NPC just like it would if on a PC.

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2017, 17:29
I think what you are looking for is that the modification to the weapon has to be every time it is added to a character (i.e. in the Actions tab). And that you can't make the item itself make different actions based on ranged or melee when it gets added to a PC. As for NPC's, you have to add the effect as an action that mimics the PC action for either the ranged or melee version.

That is, if I understand your objective and what's going on.

kalmarjan
January 8th, 2017, 20:27
I think what you are looking for is that the modification to the weapon has to be every time it is added to a character (i.e. in the Actions tab). And that you can't make the item itself make different actions based on ranged or melee when it gets added to a PC. As for NPC's, you have to add the effect as an action that mimics the PC action for either the ranged or melee version.

That is, if I understand your objective and what's going on.

Yeah, that was what I was looking for.