PDA

View Full Version : A Lakeside Inn

tonnichiwa
January 8th, 2017, 04:53
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this site. I usually hang out over on the Profantasy site and the Cartographer's Guild but recently someone came on to the Profantasy forums and talked a little bit about this site and gave it glowing reviews so I thought I would pop on over and see what's up.

My program of choice is Campaign Cartographer 3+ and all of its add on's.

So for my first post, even though the holiday season is over I thought I would give you all a map that hopefully you like and can use on this VTT system.

This map was origionally made for me because I needed a battlemap of the Inn of the Globefish from the Oriental Adventures module Night of the Seven Swords.

I have removed all of the Asian influenced things and the text and grid so that you can customize it for your own games. So if you happen to need a Lakeside Inn then maybe this one will fit your needs.

Enjoy

Trenloe
January 8th, 2017, 05:00
Welcome to the forums tonnichiwa

That's a very cool map. Thanks for sharing.

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2017, 05:00
Welcome Tonnichiwa :) Thanks for coming over and visiting. I hope you enjoy it here.

We certainly appreciate you stopping by and sharing such a nice map with us. I've already dropped it into my map folder in case I ever need it. I especially like the moss covered rock out front. A little detail I know,but I like it :)

One suggestion that would make your map easier for use on FG, it to add an off color 5 foot square in one of the upper corners (just not the bottom right corner). This makes it really easy for us to add an appropriately sized grid that is aligned to the walls and other such features. This map has enough references to help us align a grid, so it won't be a big deal, but thought you might appreciate the info.

Thanks again for stopping by, and hope to see you around some more.

tonnichiwa
January 8th, 2017, 05:16
Thank you Trenloe, I'm glad you enjoy the map. It took me forever to make it as it is my very first dungeon style map I ever made with Dungeon Designer and the Mike Schley add on. It was made sometime in 2014.

Hi LordEntrails, I'm glad you like the map too. Are you the same LordEntrails that sometimes comes onto the Profantasy Forums? I think I have actually seen both of you guys over there a time or two. I'm glad I could make a profile and join these forums. It gives me a place to showcase the maps I plan on making besides the Profantasy forums and the Cartographer's Guild. I know you guys will actually use the battlemaps I plan on making so that makes me happy.

I didn't know that about VTT's LordEntrails, thank you. If I just told people the scale at which to line it up would that help? as I don't really want to start putting a five foot square on the maps I make. I would rather you guys get to see them as they were meant to be made.

Trenloe
January 8th, 2017, 05:24
I don't really want to start putting a five foot square on the maps I make. I would rather you guys get to see them as they were meant to be made.
It is just a single square somewhere unobtrusive that the GM can use to quickly and easily draw the FG grid. See the map here as an example: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23773-Some-Random-Maps&p=206540&viewfull=1#post206540 The single 5 foot square is in the top right hand corner. You could use a colour for the square that was less obtrusive too - as long as the GM could see it for the one-off map grid align task they usually perform on battle maps.

tonnichiwa
January 8th, 2017, 05:28
hmm...what tool did you use to draw your 5 foot square on your map?

Trenloe
January 8th, 2017, 05:30
hmm...what tool did you use to draw your 5 foot square on your map?
Just the "box" tool in CC3 - using snap to grid it aligned perfectly to the grid used while making the map.

tonnichiwa
January 8th, 2017, 05:31
ok, cool, thanks for the tip :)

Trenloe
January 8th, 2017, 05:40
It's really simple - takes 10 seconds. Using the controls along the top of CC3 select a relevant sheet and layer (for the Mike Schley maps you can use Sheet = Cartouches so there are no effects, and Layer = text labels), set your line colour to what you want, line width to 0.1 (or similar), Line Style to Solid and Fill Style to "Hollow" then use the box tool (in the drawing tools down the right hand side - assuming you have the default layout).

tonnichiwa
January 8th, 2017, 06:03
Thanks Trenloe. It's good to see some other people who are good with CC3+. I'm running the Mapping 101 class over on the profantasy forums in the hopes of helping very new people in how to make better maps and learn CC3+ easier. Eventually I plan on taking the class to a more advanced level but for now I wanted to keep it slow and simple.

How do people feel about overland maps that are not 5 foot square on these forums? Are they useable on this VTT?

Myrdin Potter
January 8th, 2017, 06:15
Overland maps are good, as long as the scale is known if a DM needs it we can set the grid to whatever we want. Fantasy Grounds has a grid tool built in.

Encounter maps normally are 5' grid. Regional or area maps either don't use a grid or the grid is miles large and not used for combat.

Maps are always very, very appreciated here.

(I own and slowly am stumbling through CC3+

tonnichiwa
January 8th, 2017, 06:22
Ok, thank you Myrdin Potter.

So should I start a thread here that showcases my overland maps then? most if not all of them do not have a grid but they should all have a scale and a compass.

And if you are struggling slowly with CC3, then maybe my class on the Profantasy forum could be of help to you. I admit that it isn't very far along but it may help you a bit. If nothing else, it could allow you to develop good habits when learning CC3+.

Myrdin Potter
January 8th, 2017, 06:28
Please post as many maps as you want to, and say what software you used and feel free to jump in and help people that are trying to use CC3+. That includes directing them to the Profantasy board where that is the best advice.

tonnichiwa
January 8th, 2017, 06:35
Ok, I'll go start one. Thanks again :)

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2017, 06:55
Hi LordEntrails, I'm glad you like the map too. Are you the same LordEntrails that sometimes comes onto the Profantasy Forums? I think I have actually seen both of you guys over there a time or two.....
Yep, same me :) I frequently read, but infrequently post, at both the PF and CG forums.

You're class sounds really good. I may look into it in the future. Just have too much on my plate right now to get sidetracked (even though it is a skill set I want to develop) right now.

tonnichiwa
January 8th, 2017, 07:10
Nice to see you again. The class is always open for everyone and I have a feeling it will be going on for a long time so feel free to stop by anytime.

dmkevin
January 8th, 2017, 10:14
Thanks for the great map Tonnichiwa!!!

tonnichiwa
January 8th, 2017, 10:44
You're welcome dmkevin, I hope you are able to really thrill your players with it.

seycyrus
January 8th, 2017, 14:17
How do people feel about overland maps that are not 5 foot square on these forums? Are they useable on this VTT?

All of your maps are very usable! It's worth mentioning that there are a fair amount of users who prefer NOT to have a visible grid on the map. FG puts down its own grid after all. A single 5ft. square off in the corner somewhere doesn't bother us at all.

tonnichiwa
January 8th, 2017, 17:35
Thanks Seycyrus