PDA

View Full Version : Categories visible to Players

Muwak
January 7th, 2017, 20:39
hey Folks,

ich checked the search-function but didn't find a solution:

Is there any way (by configuration or extension) to make certain categories visible to the players?

I'm running a CoC Campaign with a bunch of Handouts, Notes, even Story-Entries with Player Information, and it is getting pretty confusing for them without a way to sort all the information.

I already worked with Overview-Sheets in the Image-Folder, but they are a pain to manage.

Any Ideas?

Regards

Muwak

Andraax
January 7th, 2017, 20:42
They can create notes for each category and drop links into them.

Muwak
January 7th, 2017, 20:46
Yea, but thats pretty much the same as my Overview-Sheets and is as much efford as placing links on an image.

My goal is to present them a clean list of items without having more to do than publishing it.

If its not possible yet, it would be a great upgrade :)

Andraax
January 7th, 2017, 20:47
Create a story entry with those items on it, then share that page with the players.

Muwak
January 7th, 2017, 21:03
Thats also a nice workarround, but also something, that doesn't really do what i intend to.

Do be exact, its quiet similar to the thing i do right now, except i'm using images with links and (to make things more intuitive) token.

That does work and it looks nice. But its also complicated to manage.

The icons on the side do, at ,least IMHO, serve the puropse to give a good overview but they become kind of useless when they become too overloaded.

Giving players access to the catecory-System would highly increase it's potential from a bare Overview for GMs to a full featured Campaingn-Database.

Andraax
January 7th, 2017, 21:08
I just share stuff to my players and let them track their own categories (using notes). It's not my job to organize stuff for my players, just for myself.

Publishing the GM's category setup to the players might "give away" too much information. And honestly, I don't see it as any better than sharing a story entry, if the GM wants more control over what the players do. You can edit the story entry anytime and it's reflected in the player's view.

Trenloe
January 7th, 2017, 21:16
Giving players access to the catecory-System would highly increase it's potential from a bare Overview for GMs to a full featured Campaingn-Database.
This would require a major overhaul of the FG architecture (how players access the database) so I doubt if you will see it in the current version of FG.

Muwak
January 8th, 2017, 16:05
Thanks Trenloe for the information.

Is there any documentation how exactly players access the db? Perhaps there is some kind of workaround to achieve something that comes closer to my goal than a list in Notes or Story :)

Trenloe
January 8th, 2017, 18:00
Is there any documentation how exactly players access the db? Perhaps there is some kind of workaround to achieve something that comes closer to my goal than a list in Notes or Story :)
This all handled by the FG interface/API and there are very specific limitations put on what players can do and what code can be written to access/change the database directly. Basically, players get read only access to specific records shared by the GM. Players can also modify records that they own - and only one player can own a record at a time. You may be able to do something that might be a little bit what you want, but I don't think it will be easy...

There's a lot of documentation around the database and the API: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/database.xcp and https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/

Brian D
August 16th, 2020, 16:29
I am also needing a GM created folder that players can access handouts in the Image/Map folder tab. Currently the handouts (images) I share show up in (uncategorized) group. I should be able to name a folder "Campaign", add the files and want in there, and they can easily access all game related files in this one place.

My workaround so far is putting any random two digit moniker (zz for example) in front of the campaign specific shared files and having the players type that moniker (zz) to pull those images as a group.

Andraax
August 16th, 2020, 17:00
Or just create a story entry with links organized however you want, and just share the story entry with the players. Then, you can add / remove / reorganize the story entry as you wish at any time and the players will see it immediately. If the players want to organize the links themselves, they can create their own "notes" entries and do the same.

LordEntrails
August 16th, 2020, 17:01
I am also needing a GM created folder that players can access handouts in the Image/Map folder tab. Currently the handouts (images) I share show up in (uncategorized) group. I should be able to name a folder "Campaign", add the files and want in there, and they can easily access all game related files in this one place.

My workaround so far is putting any random two digit moniker (zz for example) in front of the campaign specific shared files and having the players type that moniker (zz) to pull those images as a group.
Vote for it on the Wish List; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=103178