PDA

View Full Version : Connection Issues on a MAC

ShotGun Jolly
January 6th, 2017, 14:38
Hey guys,

I used to run FG on my Mac, but have moved back to PC a while ago. But decided to run a demo version on my mac again, to allow one of my friends to join me in our local games when he comes to visit. So, I installed it as usual with wine with out issues, and opened up the demo. But I can not connect to to any game at all. (My own computer is running ultimate) So i should be able to connect. But it will not.. no matter what I do.

Thinking it was a wine issue, and for testing purposes, I created another steam account, and downloaded the demo, and again.. installed ok.. but still can not connect.

The only clue that I can find as to whay type of issues I am having, is that on my launch screen, my internal IP address is not showing. So, its making me think there is some setting or block on my Mac, but I turned the firewall off and on, still no luck. ports are open, even used the DMZ features on my router.

Any Other Mac users have this type of problem, if so, how did you fix it?

Bidmaron
January 6th, 2017, 15:00
Did you search? I don't think you can use steam version on wine right now

ShotGun Jolly
January 6th, 2017, 15:03
I am not sure what you mean?

I installed it via wine, and then I went onto steam and installed it using that.. My impression was Steam automatically installs it via wine anyways?

The thing that gets me, is I never had an issue before on a Mac.. so.. what the heck; right?

Bidmaron
January 6th, 2017, 15:05
I remember another thread where the conclusion was you couldn't do steam version from wine

Trenloe
January 6th, 2017, 15:07
Not sure where that thread is. Wine is the standard Steam installation - the download from Steam is a wine wrapper, as mentioned here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35779-Launch-steam-version-without-Steam&p=310316&viewfull=1#post310316

Bidmaron
January 6th, 2017, 15:08
I use parallels and nonsteam version on my mac. Maybe my memory is flawed. Wouldn't be first time

damned
January 6th, 2017, 23:37
Make sure that your LAN players are connecting to your LAN/Internal address and not connecting to you WAN/External IP Address or your Alias.

If you are connecting to a GM across the internet you should use Alias or External IP address
If you are connecting to a GM on a LAN you should use the Internal IP Address
If you are connecting to a GM with a player instance on the same computer you should use localhost