PDA

View Full Version : Dice Roller combos

nathal
October 16th, 2005, 07:10
Is it possible to roll three different dice types at the same time and have the program add them up? I can't find a dice roller program to do this. For example, D4 + D6 + D8 (pus or minus modifiers). I use a game system that allows these combinations to be rolled all at once.

Please let me know if you know of a program that does this.

Cantstanzya
October 16th, 2005, 16:24
It is not possible to do this right now. I have suggested a "dice cup" where you would drag the different dice to this cup and then roll the cup onto the chat frame and all of the dice in the cup would spill out. The developers were very responsive to this suggestion and liked the idea. It is now just a matter of getting it on the roadmap and implemented into the software.

nathal
October 16th, 2005, 18:07
It is not possible to do this right now. I have suggested a "dice cup" where you would drag the different dice to this cup and then roll the cup onto the chat frame and all of the dice in the cup would spill out. The developers were very responsive to this suggestion and liked the idea. It is now just a matter of getting it on the roadmap and implemented into the software.

I have yet to find ANY dice roller that can do this. The game system I play must be unique in this. Most games have you throwing the same die type if there are multiples.

Crusader
October 16th, 2005, 18:42
Well, actually I saw something that could do this today:

https://www.fnordistan.com/smallroller.html

Alkaven
October 17th, 2005, 18:32
I have yet to find ANY dice roller that can do this. The game system I play must be unique in this. Most games have you throwing the same die type if there are multiples.

It sounds like your looking for a reason not to get the application. While I will refrain from stating my opinion on the price Smite Works has set in order to avoid irrational comments from everyone else, the ability to group multiple dice together is a very petty feature. In fact, I wouldn't be disappointed if Smite Works didn't implement it. I mean, for god sakes, how hard is it to just roll again? It'll add maybe 2 seconds to the whole process. Hell, I don't roll different kinds of dice together in a RL tabletop simply to avoid confusion.

Zangad
October 17th, 2005, 20:28
I, too, would find this a useful feature. I don't really think it needs to be added to the radial dice menu, though - just the "/die" command, as most people would not use this feature.

My gaming group uses the Action Points rules made popular by such games as d20 Modern and Eberron. The idea is that you get a certain number of action points each level that you can spend to add 1d6 to any d20 roll you make. It would be nice if a player could setup a macro to spend an action point on a d20 roll and have it summarized in one roll. Also, there is a feat in Eberron that lets you roll d8s instead of d6s for your action points. Plus, when you gain higher levels, the number of d6s you can roll per action point spent increases. So, at 15th level, my character can spend an action point and roll 3d6, take the highest roll, and add that to the d20 result.

Another use of this I can think of is with the Arcane Strike feat from the Complete Warrior expansion book. This feat allows you to channel a spell into your weapon attack and do 1d4 damage per spell level channeled. So my damage with a longsword channeled with a 4th-level arcane spell might look like this: 1d8(base)+4d4(spell)+3(strength).

Granted, these special cases don't apply to everyone, and yes, you can individually roll all the dice and manually tally them up and it wouldn't take all that long. But it would be messy on the chat screen, and very confusing to people who don't understand why you're rolling all those dice. You might find yourself explaining your rolls more times than not, and that DOES slow the game down.

I would be happy if we were simply able to type something like "/die 1d20+1d8" in the chat window. That way, we could drag it to our shortcut slot and do fairly complicated rolls with the click of a single button.

Even better would be something like this:
/die [1d20]+[4d4] <= Roll 1d20 and add the results of 4d4.
/die [1d20]+high1[3d6] +2<= Roll 1d20 and add the highest single result of 3d6 and add 2.
/die high3[4d6] <= Roll 4d6 and add the highest 3 rolls together.
/die [3d6]+low1[2d8] <= Roll 3d6 and add the lowest result of 2d8.

With a system like this, you could have just about all the custom dice rolling you'd ever need.