PDA

View Full Version : How to Automate effects on NPCs

Zacchaeus
January 5th, 2017, 18:37
Every so often the subject of what wording is required on NPCs so that the attacks and effects are automatically entered onto the Combat Tracker. This post is an attempt to answer that question as fully as I possibly can. The codicil is that I have no special knowledge of what is acceptable; what follows is what I have found works through trial and error mostly. Additionally the wordings suggested might not be the only acceptable wording but these definitely work.

This article has now been incorporated and expanded on in the 5e Wiki (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Automating_Effects_on_NPCs)

How the parser works

I don’t have the technical details of how exactly the parser works but from what Moon Wizard has said in the forums the parser within FG latches on to certain key words and creates the effect from those words. However the words themselves are not sufficient; it is the context in which the words are found that is important. The reason for this is that if an effect were to be produced every time a key word was recognised there would be a huge number of false positives which would be undesirable.

Weapon Attacks

Melee Weapon Attack: +x to Hit [reach 5ft., one target]. Hit: x (ndn + x) <type> damage.
Ranged Weapon Attack: +x to hit, [range n/n ft., one target]. Hit: x (ndn +x) <type> damage

Each different attack should be a new statement. For example the correct result will not be obtained if a melee and ranged attack are combined as in “Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack:”. Such a line will show only the one attack on the CT. Where an attack could be melee or ranged then the correct statement would be:
Melee Weapon Attack: +x to Hit [reach 5ft., one target]. Hit: x (ndn + x) <type> damage or Ranged Weapon Attack: +x to hit, [range n/n ft., one target]. Hit: x (ndn +x) <type> damage

The damage type should conform to one of the standard damage types in the PHB. Damage types can also be chained if, for example, an NPC does two different damages from the same attack. The format for this would be:
Hit: x (ndn+x) <type> damage plus x (ndn+x) <type> damage

Damage types should always be kept separate like this since each damage roll is made separately so that a target which is resistant or immune to one type of damage gains the correct resistance or immunity from the hit for that damage type only but takes the full damage for the other one.
For example if the damage dealt is as follows:
Hit: 5 (1d6+2) fire damage plus 5 (1d6+2) slashing damage

Then a target who has resistance to fire will take all of the slashing damage and half the fire damage.

The damage type can also have an additional criteria separated by a comma. For example
Hit: x (ndn+x) slashing, magic damage

The additional tag, in this case ‘magic’ will allow for situations where the damage is being dealt by an NPC wielding a magical weapon. Other possible tags are ‘silver’ and ‘adamantine’. There can be more than one tag; for example ‘slashing, silver, magic’

Note: this isn’t necessary if all of the creature’s attacks are magical – see below.
See also below for situations where part or all of the damage can be negated by a saving throw.

Saving Throws

An important thing to understand about getting saving throws to come up correctly (and usefully) on the Combat Tracker is the order in which things need to happen. In a normal case the player will roll the save then something will happen on a failure and something else might happen on a success. So that is the order that things should be written in the NPC sheet.
A basic saving throw is written as follows.
The target must make a DC x <ability> saving throw.

The ability must be written in full i.e. ‘Constitution’ works ‘Con’ will not. Similarly ‘save’ won’t be recognised it must be ‘saving throw’
For half damage on a success the save should be written as follows:
The target must make a DC x <ability> saving throw, taking x (ndn+x) <type> damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Where a creature does multiple damage types from a single attack and a saving throw is available to negate or avoid part of the damage then things need to be separated out. For example:
Hit: x (ndn+x) slashing damage and the target must make a DC x <ability> saving throw taking x (ndn+x) <type> damage on a failure and half as much damage on a success one

Conditions

The parser will recognise all of the standard conditions listed in the PHB at appendix A except for exhaustion.
As I said in the introduction the word itself isn’t sufficient to generate an effect on the CT; it is the context in which the word appears that is important. So if we take the poisoned condition the word ‘poisoned’ itself won’t produce anything. However if we insert the word ‘is’ before the condition then it will be accepted by the parser. So in most cases a phrase such as:
the target is <condition>

will work.
Where there is a saving throw involved the phrase would be:
The target must make a DC x <ability> saving throw, and on a failure the target is <condition>

This phraseology will work for all of the conditions listed in the PHB Appendix A except for ‘prone’ which requires the work ‘knocked’ in the phrase as in ‘the target is knocked prone’.
More than one condition can be specified in the phrase and can usually be joined together with ‘and’. For example
The target is grappled and restrained

Ongoing Damage

Sometimes in addition to immediate damage a creature might suffer ‘bleeding wounds’ or some other thing which causes damage to be inflicted over a period of time. To create this effect use the following wording:
Hit: x(ndn+x) <type> damage and the target takes x(ndn+x) <type> damage at the start of each of its turns

Immunities and resistences

Certain creatures have traits which can also cause certain effects to appear on the combat tracker. The most common of these are damage immunities, vulnerabilities and resistances. These are handled by filling in the appropriate boxes in the NPC sheet. Each damage type should be entered in lower case and if more than one separated by a comma. If the resistance or immunity can be overcome by certain weapon types or by magical weapons then there is wording which can be used to create the proper effect on the CT.
Some examples are as follows
[Damage Resistances] bludgeoning, slashing and piercing from nonmagical weapons

This creature will resist damage from bludgeoning, slashing and piercing weapons that are not magical. It will take full damage from any magical weapon even if it does the specified damage.
[Damage Immunities] bludgeoning, slashing and piercing from nonmagical weapons that aren’t silvered

Immunity to the specified damage types except if the weapon used is either silvered or magical.
[Damage Immunities] piercing from weapon attacks that aren’t adamantine

Immunity to slashing except if the weapon is made of adamantine

Traits

A few creatures have traits which can also be interpreted and cause an effect to be applied. A common one is where a creature’s attacks are magical. All that is required here is a trait called ‘Magic Weapons’. It doesn’t matter what the wording of the trait is as long as the heading is as stated. This will cause the DMGTYPE: magic to appear on the CT and the magic type will apply automatically to any damage done by the creature.

Another common trait is regeneration. The wording to use here is as follows:
The <creature name> regains X hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point.

If the regeneration can be halted by certain damage types then this can also be included in the description:
The <creature name> regains X hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point. If the <creature name> takes <type> damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of the creature’s next turn

Recharge

To automate a recharge of an ability the name of the action must be:
Breath Weapon (Recharge x)

This will trigger a d6 throw at the beginning of the NPCs turn and if the d6 is equal or higher than x the action is recharged.
(thanks lasmela for pointing this one out)

Spellcasting
If the NPC can cast spells then you can automate the population of the actual spells into the NPC sheet. Additionally with the correct wording FG will work out the attacks and spell save DCs where those are present in the spell/ The trait should be named 'Spellcasting' and the wording should be as follows:
The [NPC] is a nth-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is [ability]. The [NPC] has the following spells prepared.
Cantrips (at will): <spell name>,<spell name>
1st level (4 slots): <spell name>, <spell name>
2nd level (2 slots): <spell name>, <spell name>

It is important that the wording is exactly as above including the punctuation. All spell names should be in lower case separated by a comma.
If the NPC has innate spellcasting abilities then replace the heading with 'Innate Spellcasting' and replace the 1st level, 2nd level etc with 3/day, 1/day or whatever the NPC rate of casting is.

If you want to override the automatic calculation of spell save and attack rolls replace the first line with this
The [NPC] is a nth-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is [ability] (spell save DC #, +# to hit with spell attacks). The [NPC] has the following spells prepared. (thanks jkadje)

RCathcart
January 5th, 2017, 19:29
This looks great! Thanks so much for putting this together!

lasmela
January 6th, 2017, 08:38
This is a nice write up and sure will help in the future, when i'm building NPCs. I would add the "Recharge" of abilities too.
This will trigger a d6 throw at the begin of the NPCs turn and if the d6 is equal or higher than x the action is recharged.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2017, 11:04
This is a nice write up and sure will help in the future, when i'm building NPCs. I would add the "Recharge" of abilities too.
This will trigger a d6 throw at the begin of the NPCs turn and if the d6 is equal or higher than x the action is recharged.

Added; thanks for pointing it out.

Gwydion
January 6th, 2017, 13:23
Thanks so much for putting this together. Awesome! Sticky please! I'm sure this will be a reference for some time.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2017, 13:35
Thanks so much for putting this together. Awesome! Sticky please! I'm sure this will be a reference for some time.

It's already in the stickies :)

Gwydion
January 6th, 2017, 13:46
It's already in the stickies :)

Can you give yourself negative reputation??? If so I deserve it! Thanks again for doing this and next time I will be less on the typing triggering and more on the looking first trigger... :)

JohnD
January 6th, 2017, 15:28
Great post.

SpiritofFire
January 6th, 2017, 18:05
Ooo! YES! Super-useful for custom monsters.

I've been searching DMG to copypasta till now.

celestian
March 17th, 2017, 15:33
[Damage Immunities] bludgeoning, slashing and piercing from non magical attacks that aren’t silver

So, I've been trying to figure this one out. I applied "bludgeoning, slashing and piercing from non magical attacks that aren’t silver" to the damage immunities section but what I see is.

https://i.imgur.com/y8xj3nu.png

It seems to just make silver part of the immunities?

Also, where on the weapon does "silver" need to be included, properties? Does the format matter for that also?

Thanks for the work on this write up! It's been a tremendous help.

Mavrik6666
March 17th, 2017, 18:04
Im not sure why .. but... if you click on the last toggle on the monster, the one for Effect (not sure what the right name is , but the ones that do target; attributes; Offence) edit the effect line in the CT to add an exclamation mark just before the word silver - i.e. !silver - then the effect works, immune to anything that isn't silver.

But when I edit the NPC, and add the exclamation mark in, it doesn't travel with the effect on the NPC sheet , but I have no idea why

So a manual work about, rather than a fix

Mavrik6666
March 17th, 2017, 18:10
The 'silver' property is added under the specific weapon, when you open up the weapon, next to the weapons DAMAGE add in silver after a comma next to piercing, slashing etc

Nickademus
March 17th, 2017, 19:14
So, I've been trying to figure this one out. I applied "bludgeoning, slashing and piercing from non magical attacks that aren’t silver" to the damage immunities section but what I see is.

Try this:

bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons that aren't silvered

celestian
March 17th, 2017, 20:27
Try this:
bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons that aren't silvered

That works!

Zacchaeus
March 17th, 2017, 21:45
Oops, I've edited the first post to correct that.

Dracius
March 17th, 2017, 22:05
Thank you so much for compiling this. This is a huge boon for the community

celestian
March 18th, 2017, 23:56
Oops, I've edited the first post to correct that.

Looks like it's still showing the way that didn't work for me.

"[Damage Immunities] bludgeoning, slashing and piercing from non magical attacks that aren’t silvered"

Zacchaeus
March 19th, 2017, 00:31
I changed it from silver to silvered as Nickademus suggested. I can't test right now but I'll check tomorrow.

celestian
March 19th, 2017, 00:34
I changed it from silver to silvered as Nickademus suggested. I can't test right now but I'll check tomorrow.

Oh, I thought it was the "non magical" versus "nonmagical".

Zacchaeus
March 19th, 2017, 00:49
Heh, I didn't notice that. Yeah it needs to be nonmagical which leads me to suspect that silver is correct since I'm pretty sure I checked all this before I made the original post.

twseifert
July 13th, 2017, 23:21
Recharge

This will trigger a d6 throw at the beginning of the NPCs turn and if the d6 is equal or higher than x the action is recharged.
(thanks lasmela for pointing this one out)

How would you go about adding this effect to a power/item on a PC?

one of my characters recently discovered and finished the Tome of Exalted Deeds, and several of the powers from the item are 1 use/day, except if they recharge on a 6 when they are used.

Zacchaeus
July 13th, 2017, 23:23
You can't have an automatic recharge on a PC - only an NPC. You can use the 'preparation' mode in the action tab to set the limits of the power but you'll need to roll a dice and manually do the recharge effect.

twseifert
July 13th, 2017, 23:24
Bummer

tantauralus
September 21st, 2017, 19:08
Right now I am having troubles to get the autoparse for innate spellcasting working

i.e. that is what I can successfully use to parse "normal" Spellcasting.

<spellcasting>
<name type="string">Spellcasting</name>
<desc type="string">Spellcasting. The Ravager Slaughter Lord is a 9th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The Ravager Slaughter Lord has the following spells prepared: \rCantrips (at will): light, sacred flame, thaumaturgy\r1st level (3 slots): bless, cure wounds, sanctuary
</desc>
</spellcasting>

The first post says

If the NPC has innate spellcasting abilities then replace the heading with 'Innate Spellcasting' and replace the 1st level, 2nd level etc with 3/day, 1/day or whatever the NPC rate of casting is.

So what would I have to change in my spellcasting example to get it to work with innate spellcasting?

I tried the following ones but to no avail:

<spellcasting>
<name type="string">Innate Spellcasting</name>
<desc type="string">Innate Spellcasting. The Ravager Slaughter Lord is a 9th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The Ravager Slaughter Lord has the following spells prepared: \rAt will: light, sacred flame, thaumaturgy\r3/day: bless, cure wounds, sanctuary
</desc>
</spellcasting>

<spellcasting>
<name type="string">Spellcasting</name>
<desc type="string">Innate Spellcasting. The Ravager Slaughter Lord is a 9th-level innate spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The Ravager Slaughter Lord has the following spells prepared: \rAt will: light, sacred flame, thaumaturgy\r3/day: bless, cure wounds, sanctuary
</desc>
</spellcasting>

<spellcasting>
<name type="string">Innate Spellcasting</name>
<desc type="string">Spellcasting. The Ravager Slaughter Lord is a 9th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The Ravager Slaughter Lord has the following spells prepared: \rAt will: light, sacred flame, thaumaturgy\r3/day: bless, cure wounds, sanctuary
</desc>
</spellcasting>

Moon Wizard
September 21st, 2017, 19:41
I would start with an example from the SRD (such as Drow), and then update to fit your creature.

Given that, I found that the Innate Spellcasting trait is not auto-parsed like the Spellcasting trait. I'll see what I can do to fix.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
September 21st, 2017, 19:44
I don't know about doing it in the xml, but have you tried putting it in through the GUI and then seeing what if it works and what xml is generated?

tantauralus
September 21st, 2017, 19:48
Given that, I found that the Innate Spellcasting trait is not auto-parsed like the Spellcasting trait. I'll see what I can do to fix.

Seems my job as Software Tester also pays off in my hobby...2nd Bug I found in a short time ;-)

I don't know about doing it in the xml, but have you tried putting it in through the GUI and then seeing what if it works and what xml is generated?

yes and it did not work either, I guess due to what Moon Wizard said.

rob2e
January 15th, 2018, 09:17
This is fantastic Zacchaeus! Thumbs up!

monkeywrench
February 1st, 2018, 03:15

https://i.imgur.com/y8xj3nu.png

Also, where on the weapon does "silver" need to be included, properties? Does the format matter for that also?

Thanks for the work on this write up! It's been a tremendous help.

Try bludgeoning, slashing, piercing, !magic, !silver

lasmela
March 5th, 2018, 22:21
Thanks Zacchaeus for expanding on the effects. Do you know which traits do have an impact on the automation. I did check some and nearly all i checked didn't work.

traits that are hard to automate because the condition for it to trigger is not within fantasy grounds:

Magic Resistance (trigger for magic attack is not on the save while dropping the save on the NPC)
Brave (trigger for frightened is not on the save while dropping the save on the NPC)
Sunlight Sensitivity (trigger for sunlight is not in fantasygrounds)
Stone Camouflage (trigger for the rocky terrain is not in fantasygrounds)
Keen Hearing & Keen Senses (the triggers for the hearing and the other senses are not on the saving throws)
Siege Monster (Objects and structures are not recognized)
Reflective Carapace (Does not recognize the condition)

lokiare
March 5th, 2018, 22:57
Thanks Zacchaeus for expanding on the effects. Do you know which traits do have an impact on the automation. I did check some and nearly all i checked didn't work.

traits that are hard to automate because the condition for it to trigger is not within fantasy grounds:

Magic Resistance (trigger for magic attack is not on the save while dropping the save on the NPC)
Brave (trigger for frightened is not on the save while dropping the save on the NPC)
Sunlight Sensitivity (trigger for sunlight is not in fantasygrounds)
Stone Camouflage (trigger for the rocky terrain is not in fantasygrounds)
Keen Hearing & Keen Senses (the triggers for the hearing and the other senses are not on the saving throws)
Siege Monster (Objects and structures are not recognized)
Reflective Carapace (Does not recognize the condition)

With many of these it is impossible to automate without taking away the freedom to house rule and home brew. Which is why Fantasy Grounds provides custom effects DMs and players can apply and remove themselves. There is a button at the top right of the FG desktop called "Effects" which opens a window that allows you to drag and drop the buttons onto the characters and NPCs. You can also create special effects that can be shared by everyone.

Zacchaeus
March 6th, 2018, 00:46
Magic Resistance is now handled by Fantasy Grounds automatically. All NPCs with the magic resistance trait should now roll saving throws with advantage when attacked with a spell. If you are not seeing this could you report any NPCs which don’t exhibit this behaviour.

You are correct that the others you mention are not recognised. In some cases, for example conditions such as frightened, can’t be saved against. You don’t actually save against the condition but against a specific DC using whatever ability specified in the spell or whatever.

lasmela
March 7th, 2018, 17:53
I double checked the part of the Magic Resistance and naturally you are right Zacchaeus that normally it should work when the syntax of the spells or magical effects are correct.
I did try it with a Demilichs Life drain and there it won't add the magic property to the save. The Life Drain is created as an action and therefore the it's not recognized as a spell. When Magic Resistance should be triggered by these actions, the syntax should have magically in front of the damage. So like this:
The target must succeed on a DC x <ability> saving throw or magically take x(ndn+y) <type> damage

LordEntrails
August 31st, 2018, 03:50
So I'm looking to put Cloak of Flies (the warlock invocation) on an NPC. Not sure theirs much that can be parsed,other than the damage. Any thoughts? Here's what I've written;

As a bonus action, Rhoswen can surround herself in a magical aura that looks like buzzing flies. The aura extends 5 feet from her in every direction, but not through total cover. The aura grants her advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) checks but disadvantage on all other Charisma checks. Any other creature that starts it turn in the aura takes 4 poison damage.

Zacchaeus
August 31st, 2018, 08:37
I think you are right the only thing that the parser will pick up is the damage bit.

mattekure
November 2nd, 2018, 03:54
One thing I didnt see in the first post was how to add non-spell healing powers. I found an example in the Solar. "The target magically regains 6 (1d4 + 2) hit points." or "A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 2d8 + 2."

LordEntrails
November 2nd, 2018, 05:54
One thing I didnt see in the first post was how to add non-spell healing powers. I found an example in the Solar. "The target magically regains 6 (1d4 + 2) hit points." or "A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 2d8 + 2."
Well, using the solar example, it looks like the correct text would be;
"... regains # (xdn + n) hit points..."
Though I have not tested it :)

Zacchaeus
November 2nd, 2018, 10:48
Yes, it is as LE says.

Alkenix
November 29th, 2018, 18:02
Hello Folks.
I'm actually into creating mini-bosses for my group and the functions of FG are a bit low I must say.
~Or I'm not smart enough to find them*

I want to create a monster that can halve the players movement speed on a 60 ft. range (aura or spell) till the end of the fight (or even to the next short rest, guess thats more possible?).

Is there a way to make this possible?

Devs:
Also I cant find a way to give creatures fix possible loot drop chance to the player who last hit it for example.
I played Tibia for a long time and it was great to have the chance of giving mobs a %-Chance to drop "item".
Maybe fantasy grounds can do that as well? Even adding fix loot to mobs?

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2018, 19:33
Hello Folks.
I'm actually into creating mini-bosses for my group and the functions of FG are a bit low I must say.
~Or I'm not smart enough to find them*

I want to create a monster that can halve the players movement speed on a 60 ft. range (aura or spell) till the end of the fight (or even to the next short rest, guess thats more possible?).

Is there a way to make this possible?

Devs:
Also I cant find a way to give creatures fix possible loot drop chance to the player who last hit it for example.
I played Tibia for a long time and it was great to have the chance of giving mobs a %-Chance to drop "item".
Maybe fantasy grounds can do that as well? Even adding fix loot to mobs?
How would you do this at the table when you are using pen and paper? Start by doing it the same way in FG.

Remember, FG is designed to be a virtual Table Top and not a digital game engine.

So, to create a monster that 'can halve the players' movement speed...' just give it the ability or trait or action and in words say exactly that. FG does not track token movement, so their is no way to automate an effect that affects movement. You can create an effect that reminds you and the players that their movement is half and give it an appropriate duration and add it to the PC on the CT so everyone can see it.

'drop' 'mob's and 'loot' are Fnot G terms, so I have to assume a little bit about what you mean here. But here's how I do what you want (maybe?) in FG.

Create a Story entry for the situation/combat/fight. On that story entry, make a link to the Encounter which includes the various NPCs you want to fight. On that story entry include a link to the Parcel that includes the items/loot you want to party to receive when they defeat the creatures. When they defeat the creatures, assign them the parcel by dragging it onto the parcel sheet.

If you want random treasure rather than a fixed treasure, setup a random treasure table using the Tables with an output of Parcel and use that instead of the link to the Parcel in the story entry.

Alkenix
November 29th, 2018, 20:06
In real I dont see a way to show darkvision as well or torchlight... FG can do this.
So it's not wrong to ask for a function to implement a following aura (character-box around him)?
With what I would be able to create NPC with slow aura as well.

But btw.. To add an effect to FG what does -50% movement cant be hard to programm..?

Well I would like to give random or fixed loot to single monsters.
I actually work with the story, parcels and encounters but searching for the item all the time again isn't fun.
In real I would be able to write down the loot as well to the monster, so why can't it be cool to have the chance to do it in FG as well?

And I use FG instead of Roll20 cuz of its cool automatisations. Don't you Devs want to make your programm even more cool at all?

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2018, 22:25
In real I dont see a way to show darkvision as well or torchlight... FG can do this.
So it's not wrong to ask for a function to implement a following aura (character-box around him)?
With what I would be able to create NPC with slow aura as well.
Their have been one or two technology demonstration extensions that place an aura around a token for visual use only that I have seen since being on the forums. But, as far as I know none of them were deemed stable enough to fully develop or for the community developer to maintain.

Of course you can always ask for a new function. Do so here; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

My response was not intended to discourage you, but rather inform on the approach FG takes as well as some of what is likely and not likely to be implemented.

But btw.. To add an effect to FG what does -50% movement cant be hard to programm..?
As I said, right now FG does nothing with movement. The only thing it knows even related is distance between two points. So a complete movement model and logic would have to built. And of course with RPGs, rules are complex and full of exceptions, and exceptions to the exceptions. Some of the simplest exceptions are diagonals and hard corners. But then get into partial movement, difficult terrain, effects, etc etc.

So first you would have to do that, then you would have to program an effect for it.
My experience tells me that such a benefit, calculating movement, is something that the FG devs see as having a small return on a very large resource investment. But, maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the community sees such as a huge benefit, that's why their is the wishlist, to communicate these ideas to the devs, and for the community to inform the devs what improvements they see as the most valuable.

I actually work with the story, parcels and encounters but searching for the item all the time again isn't fun.
In real I would be able to write down the loot as well to the monster, so why can't it be cool to have the chance to do it in FG as well?

And I use FG instead of Roll20 cuz of its cool automatisations. Don't you Devs want to make your programm even more cool at all?
First, I'm not a dev. I'm just a user like you :) You will see the devs are active on the forums here, but their names will all have the "Developer" tag on them.

The devs here do listen to the community. A few examples;
- Check out the workshop thread, there the devs often get in highly technical discussions with community developers and help them develop code for community extensions.
- As mentioned before, check out the wishlist. Though their are a lot of ideas on there and no one marks them 'closed' or 'implemented' a great many of the ideas there have already been incorporated. Here's an idea I suggested 10 days ago, and either because it was added to the wishlist or coincidence, it's already slated for the next version; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=122026
- You'll note that their are weekly updates and corrections to the DLC. Checkout the City Hall for these announcements.
- There are regular updates with release notes. Check out the last release notes with a summary of what was added with the current release.
- Want to see what's coming in the next update? You can join the public beta testing, see the Laboratory. Want to just see what's being added in 3.3.7? Then browse through this post and you can see what the devs are adding; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46523-Beta-Release-v3-3-7

Zacchaeus
November 29th, 2018, 22:31
FG doesn't have dynamic lighting or any functions for aura's. This may well be something which is implemented in Unity but the current version doesn't have it.

Similarly there are no effects which reduce movement and since FG doesn't limit movement of any token on the map this is something that you would do manually. You could create an effect as a reminder on the character that movement is restricted.
To give out random loot you could create a table with random values of coins or any other treasure that you want and output the result to a treasure parcel. Link the table to the story entry containing the NPCs.

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2018, 22:32
Sorry, I forgot to answer this part;

I'm not sure I'm seeing the problem.

If you mean you want to link a item object to an NPC object, then you have to do that either by putting the item on the "Other" tab of the NPC, or, like I said before, you normally link both a NPC and a Parcel through a story entry. Have you tried linking the item on the Other tab?

Note, it will only link the item, it will not update the statistics of the NPC. There is no ability to do that.

Also, if you are creating lots of NPC's, have you looked at Engineer Suite by Maasq on the forums here? It has a function called NPC Engineer that might be along the lines of what you are looking for.

Now, as for random items, you have to use one of the FG functions that has the ability to randomly return results. The simplest of these are random tables. For creating a random item table see; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tables#Random_Treasure_Table

There are also Story Templates that can be used to create random stuff that might be of interest as well; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Story_Templates

Alkenix
November 30th, 2018, 06:38
Well you guys are good.
I will check out your ideas later home.
What I read till now sounds great to me. ☺

If I don't forget to update this post after testing, don't be mad to me please. ��

LordEntrails
November 30th, 2018, 19:25
If I don't forget to update this post after testing, don't be mad to me please. ��
We don't get mad, we get even! Just Kidding :)

It really takes a lot to get the folks around here riled up. We pretty much always assume everyone is genuine and nice and they have to work hard to prove otherwise. Its just best if we always assume people are misunderstood or frustrated rather than actually mad etc.

Best of luck and if you remember, let us know how it goes :)

jkagie
February 10th, 2019, 05:33
I'd like to add the details for customizing spellcasting saving throws and attacks.

The [NPC] is a nth-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is [ability] (spell save DC #, +# to hit with spell attacks). The [NPC] has the following spells prepared.

That will set the DC level and attack bonuses to what ever you want.

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2019, 10:54
I'd like to add the details for customizing spellcasting saving throws and attacks.

The [NPC] is a nth-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is [ability] (spell save DC #, +# to hit with spell attacks). The [NPC] has the following spells prepared.

That will set the DC level and attack bonuses to what ever you want.

Included. I originally left this out because the post was too long, but I've edited bits out so that this can be squeezed in :)

cdhyanchand
February 11th, 2019, 15:42
Hi. I am interested in adding a healing potion action to my NPC (basically a one time regeneration effect). Is there a way to add this so that a HEAL action will be added to the CT? Thanks.

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2019, 15:55
Hi. I am interested in adding a healing potion action to my NPC (basically a one time regeneration effect). Is there a way to add this so that a HEAL action will be added to the CT? Thanks.
Just create a new action in the actions tab. Put it in a group something like Consumables and make it have a heal action. You can even give it quantities if you want.

Edit: if you need details on how to do that, just ask :)

rob2e
February 11th, 2019, 16:09

The code for that is shown here...
Also, you can learn all you need to know about coding for FG in the wiki here - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects
And beyond that, if you want to be lazy and have EVERY SINGLE item, spell, class feature, face trait, and feat coded for you, I have those available on the DMs Guild.

cdhyanchand
February 11th, 2019, 16:36
Details would be great. Just to be clear I am talking about adding this action to a monster NPC stat block. Thanks.

rob2e
February 11th, 2019, 16:43
Details would be great. Just to be clear I am talking about adding this action to a monster NPC stat block. Thanks.

Aha! Adding it to a monster stat block isn't possible (that I am aware of).

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2019, 16:52

Create a trait in the NPC and include the phrase 'regains xdx hit points'. That will show a heal on the CT.

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2019, 16:54
Create a trait in the NPC and include the phrase 'regains xdx hit points'. That will show a heal on the CT.
CAre to add that variant to the first post for us? Probably in the Traits section :)

rob2e
February 11th, 2019, 16:56
Ya I just thought of that, that is good advice because although NPCs don't have "healing potions" per se, some do have second wind, so you could absolutely do that.

cdhyanchand
February 11th, 2019, 17:27

Thanks Zacchaeus! That's what I needed.

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2019, 17:28
CAre to add that variant to the first post for us? Probably in the Traits section :)

Ya I just thought of that, that is good advice because although NPCs don't have "healing potions" per se, some do have second wind, so you could absolutely do that.

I would but there's no more room in the first post. I might look at editing it sometime to reduce it's size.

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2019, 17:57
I would but there's no more room in the first post. I might look at editing it sometime to reduce it's size.
Or, put it all into an attachment like I had to do with the Adventure Creation stuff. I just put a summary in the post and then make an attachment with the details.

mattekure
February 11th, 2019, 21:51
Or, put it all up on the wiki, then link to the wiki. that way you wont have those size limitations at all, and it would be easy to find.

Xemit
February 11th, 2019, 22:13
Once in the Wiki then the PDF and ePub user manuals can pick it up...

Zacchaeus
February 13th, 2019, 12:11
Or, put it all into an attachment like I had to do with the Adventure Creation stuff. I just put a summary in the post and then make an attachment with the details.

Or, put it all up on the wiki, then link to the wiki. that way you wont have those size limitations at all, and it would be easy to find.

Once in the Wiki then the PDF and ePub user manuals can pick it up...

This article has now been incorporated into the 5e Wiki. Link in the first post.

Drogo210
March 1st, 2019, 17:49
Hi,

I am having issues to make spellcasting works. I load the PHB and use the wording as you suggested but spells are not loaded most of the time. I can see the right number of slots but not the spells. It sounds to me like it cannot read the module, even if for some other NPCs were loaded.

Any hints?

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2019, 17:52
Hi,

I am having issues to make spellcasting works. I load the PHB and use the wording as you suggested but spells are not loaded most of the time. I can see the right number of slots but not the spells. It sounds to me like it cannot read the module, even if for some other NPCs were loaded.

Any hints?
Not sure what problem you are having...

If you are talking about the "Spellcasting" trait on an NPC, the spells do not get added to the NPC until the NPC is re-opened or added to the CT. That is when the spellcasting trait gets parsed and the actions added.

If that is what you are talking about, please double check your wording and format is exact. Even adding a comma or colon in the wrong place will break it. If it still isn't working, please post a screen shot of what you are doing and provide the steps for someone to reproduce.

Drogo210
March 1st, 2019, 18:16
Yes I was talking about parsing spell in a NPC.

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2019, 18:31
In the first example you have "prepared:"
The colon is wrong. You need a period instead.

Remember;

Spellcasting
If the NPC can cast spells then you can automate the population of the actual spells into the NPC sheet. Additionally with the correct wording FG will work out the attacks and spell save DCs where those are present in the spell/ The trait should be named 'Spellcasting' and the wording should be as follows:
The [NPC] is a nth-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is [ability]. The [NPC] has the following spells prepared.

It is important that the wording is exactly as above including the punctuation. All spell names should be in lower case separated by a comma.

If you want to override the automatic calculation of spell save and attack rolls replace the first line with this

(thanks jkadje)

Zacchaeus
March 1st, 2019, 18:32
I don't see anything wrong with your trait. If you are using any extensions make sure you test in a new campaign without extensions in case that's an issue. Also if you are editing an existing spellcaster make sure you delete all the existing spells from the NPC spells section before closing and re-opening the NPC to re-populate the spells.

Zacchaeus
March 1st, 2019, 18:36
In the first example you have "prepared:"
The colon is wrong. You need a period instead.

It doesn't matter whether it's a colon or a period.

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2019, 18:39
It doesn't matter whether it's a colon or a period.
Ah :)

Drogo210
March 1st, 2019, 18:50
Thanks,

Figured it out. I was doing it wrong, I assume.

I did enter the trait and after I clicked the "+" of Spell, while I should just drag the NPC in the CT without pushing the "+".

I do not know if it's the standard procedure but it worked.

Many thanks.

Rades
March 9th, 2019, 23:53
Does anyone know how to word an NPC Action that temporarily gives a creature vulnerability to bludgeoning damage? (Or if such a thing is even possible?) I know how to apply this manually as an effect (VULN: bludgeoning), or as a power on a PC sheet, but I'd really like to be able to do this right from an NPC monster sheet.

An example of the type of ability I'm trying to create: Brittle Bones. One adjacent creature gains vulnerability to bludgeoning damage for 1 minute.

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2019, 00:09
There is no wording which will parse out effects such as resistance or vulnerability to damage.

rob2e
March 10th, 2019, 00:15
Does anyone know how to word an NPC Action that temporarily gives a creature vulnerability to bludgeoning damage? (Or if such a thing is even possible?) I know how to apply this manually as an effect (VULN: bludgeoning), or as a power on a PC sheet, but I'd really like to be able to do this right from an NPC monster sheet.

An example of the type of ability I'm trying to create: Brittle Bones. One adjacent creature gains vulnerability to bludgeoning damage for 1 minute.

You do that WITHIN the sat block.26641

Nevermind DELETE ME! I don't mean delete this post, I mean DELETE ME FROM YOUR LIFE! I'm no help.

Also, why can't you delete posts on this message board?

Rades
March 10th, 2019, 00:18
You do that WITHIN the sat block.26641

I knew you could set it up so that an NPC always had vulnerability - what I was hoping for was a way to make an ability that GAVE someone vulnerability during a fight. But it sounds like that isn't possible. Thanks Zacchaeus for the quick response, I'll just have to write the effect manually on the tracker when this ability is used. :)

LordEntrails
March 10th, 2019, 01:24
You do that WITHIN the sat block.

Nevermind DELETE ME! I don't mean delete this post, I mean DELETE ME FROM YOUR LIFE! I'm no help.

Also, why can't you delete posts on this message board?
All you can do is edit your post and delete everything and replace it with something like "[deleted because I'm a doof!]"

cdhyanchand
March 10th, 2019, 03:01
You can build the effect (Brittle Bones; VULN: bludgeoning) in your Effects window with the appropriate settings for duration and visibility and then drag it into your hotlinks for quick access during your campaign. Just drag it onto the appropriate actor in the CT or on the battlemap.

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2019, 09:41
You can build the effect (Brittle Bones; VULN: bludgeoning) in your Effects window with the appropriate settings for duration and visibility and then drag it into your hotlinks for quick access during your campaign. Just drag it onto the appropriate actor in the CT or on the battlemap.
I think this is exactly what he was wanting to avoid having to do.

pala
July 8th, 2020, 11:56
Bit of a necro, but what can you do. I spent the last 90 minutes fumbling around trying to get the 'Spellcasting' trait to work. Pro tip - make sure you have the damn source book loaded. Turns out the PHB wasn't loaded, so the spell auto parsing wasn't working. Just leaving this here for any other sleep deprived would-be DM's.

Cireiluj
August 9th, 2020, 23:34
Hi, I need some help if you can, I have no idea what I am doing wrong, the wording for spellcasting action seems exactly as it should but the Spell saves and DC do not follow to CT

Rades
August 9th, 2020, 23:44
Hi, I need some help if you can, I have no idea what I am doing wrong, the wording for spellcasting action seems exactly as it should but the Spell saves and DC do not follow to CT

I believe you need to state what the spell DC and spell to hit numbers are in the Spellcasting trait. You would want The orc shamman is a 4th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). The orc shamman has the following spells prepared:

(the spells part looks fine)

Zacchaeus
August 10th, 2020, 00:14

The ability needs to be capitalised Charisma and not charisma.

Zacchaeus
August 10th, 2020, 00:16
I believe you need to state what the spell DC and spell to hit numbers are in the Spellcasting trait. You would want The orc shamman is a 4th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). The orc shamman has the following spells prepared:

(the spells part looks fine)

You only need the bit you have in brackets if you want to over ride the automatic calculation of the spell save DC and attacks. For example if a caster had a magic item which gave them a bonus to save DCs or attacks you would add the bit in brackets. Otherwise FG will calculate the save and attacks automatically.

jkagie
August 10th, 2020, 06:02
If you want to override the ability score modifier you add in the parenthesis text. It should work without the extra text if you are good with the modifier of your orc's charisma. For the orc shaman, did you delete all of the spells, close the npc, then reopen the npc from the npc list? That will repopulate the spells. It may also relink the spells' to the proper attribute.
At least I would start there.