PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Danimal66
January 5th, 2017, 17:30
Please tell me there will be a FG version of this.

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal

Nickademus
January 5th, 2017, 17:54
That looks quite tasty.

Most likely it will be since it is a 5th-Edition D&D product by Wizards of the Coast.

RCathcart
January 5th, 2017, 19:07
I almost cried when I saw this. :p

And considering how Volo's was released on FG almost immediately after hardcover release, I expect we'll see Tales on here soon.

Talyn
January 5th, 2017, 19:36
Zacc is probably already on it... :p

LordEntrails
January 5th, 2017, 19:44
Expect it to be released on FG the same day as WPN stores release it. That's been the case with other offical WotC products and FG. Given that this is a brand new announcement (I think), expect SW to say something about it in the next day or two.

My heart stopped when I saw the title of this. Made me think they were releasing Undermountain sooner than I expected. But, it's not. But I think the name is intentionally part of drumming up the hype about the upcoming movie, and my speculation they will be releasing Undermountain in the future.

Danimal66
January 5th, 2017, 20:49
Yes it is a new announcement I got a press release on it today. First thing I did after reading it was come here. :D

Gooberosity
January 5th, 2017, 21:44
When I first started reading that I was like, "gee that sounds like a lot for just a module" and then I saw what was in it. Those were ALL of my faves back in the day. I remember playing through Hidden Shrine of the Tamoachan right after they released it. (ok I am old)

Nickademus
January 5th, 2017, 22:46
I am a little surprised to see Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury in the list though. They were two the better 3.0 adventures and I used them quite a bit for new groups, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as the Tomb of Horror and Against the Giants.

kp9911
January 6th, 2017, 10:51
According to the fb post it should be available on March 24th.

RCathcart
January 6th, 2017, 14:23
March 24th? That's an unfortunately long time. :/

Danimal66
January 6th, 2017, 16:42
I am a little surprised to see Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury in the list though. They were two the better 3.0 adventures and I used them quite a bit for new groups, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as the Tomb of Horror and Against the Giants.

I was always partial to the Slave Lords modules, still have the original and the book they put out a few years back. I was hoping that would be in over Against the Giants. While Giant is a great module set, it's kind of redundant after Storm King's Thunder

Trenloe
January 6th, 2017, 16:54
I was always partial to the Slave Lords modules, still have the original and the book they put out a few years back. I was hoping that would be in over Against the Giants.
Probably because this we re-printed recently: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/169626/A0A4-Against-the-Slave-Lords-1e and the conversion info was included in the D&D Next(TM) playtest, so a lot of people will have been able to play that with Next/5E very recently.

LordEntrails
January 6th, 2017, 17:13
Plus A1-A4 has been converted to 5E by the community. Posted on the DMsGuild. I don't have the link handy, but should be easy to find.

Danimal66
January 6th, 2017, 17:19
Plus A1-A4 has been converted to 5E by the community. Posted on the DMsGuild. I don't have the link handy, but should be easy to find.

I see the re-print and actually have the hard cover but I don't see a 5e conversion version anywhere.

LordEntrails
January 6th, 2017, 17:23
I see the re-print and actually have the hard cover but I don't see a 5e conversion version anywhere.
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/193356/Classic-Modules-Today-A1-Slave-Pits-of-the-Undercity-5E?term=classic+modules+today%3A+a1&test_epoch=0

The project home is here for more info; https://classicmodulestoday.com/

Danimal66
January 6th, 2017, 17:44
Thanks

SpiritofFire
January 6th, 2017, 18:10
I hope the price would stay @$35 on FG like the other adventures.

Since SKT was released on Roll20 for $50, I wonder if we'll see a price hike on WotC adventures from now on.

LordEntrails
January 6th, 2017, 18:55
I hope the price would stay @$35 on FG like the other adventures.

Since SKT was released on Roll20 for $50, I wonder if we'll see a price hike on WotC adventures from now on.
Uh, the price shown on WotC link is $49.95USD. I don't think SmiteWorks (or Roll20) has any flexibility on the price for at least the first 8 weeks after release. Maybe even much longer.

Trenloe
January 6th, 2017, 19:03
Smiteworks pricing for SKT is a special. Maybe repeated in future, maybe not. In general the pricing will be the same as the Wizards MSRP.

SpiritofFire
January 6th, 2017, 19:04
Uh, the price shown on WotC link is $49.95USD. I don't think SmiteWorks (or Roll20) has any flexibility on the price for at least the first 8 weeks after release. Maybe even much longer.

Well storm kings thunder and curse of strahd MSRPs at $50 as well. They're $35 on FG.

LordEntrails
January 6th, 2017, 20:55
Well storm kings thunder and curse of strahd MSRPs at $50 as well. They're $35 on FG.
Both of which have been out for greater than 8 weeks :)
And, unbeknownst to me, as Trenloe says, SKT is a special deal/situation.

I suspect come one of the future sales all of them will be discounted again. Just a matter of time.

rob2e
January 7th, 2017, 05:19
March 24th? That's an unfortunately long time. :/

Good considering the official release date of APRIL 4th.

Varsuuk
January 7th, 2017, 07:33
Can I get a "squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" to think of the old 1Es on FG (well, in 5E form but still!)

drakonin
January 13th, 2017, 17:36
Just caught this, was working on a tomb of horrors 5E conversion for my group and now I don't have to :)

LordEntrails
January 13th, 2017, 19:04
Can I get a "squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" to think of the old 1Es on FG (well, in 5E form but still!)
Checkout ClassicModulesToday.com
The convert and sell classic module conversions on the DMsG. Best of my knowledge, they are not doing FG conversions, but they may be open to someone converting to FG as well.

GarthGiantbane
January 14th, 2017, 18:23
I saw this today - looks great! I have the original Forge of Fury for 3.5 and I started converting it. I had fun replicating the maps but getting their size down to the recommended; eech! I put it aside for easier tasks.

If this makes it to FG then I won't have to worry about it :) but it will be interesting to see how they deal with the maps.

ShadoWWW
March 23rd, 2017, 07:40
So, tomorrow is the day?

rob2e
March 23rd, 2017, 09:17
THU/FRI Midnight :01 so yes. I believe Pacific Time. Don't quote me on the time zone.

L. R. Ballard
March 23rd, 2017, 18:23
Checkout ClassicModulesToday.com
The convert and sell classic module conversions on the DMsG. Best of my knowledge, they are not doing FG conversions, but they may be open to someone converting to FG as well.

I'm a member of the Classic Modules Today conversion team and of their Google+ group. I see no evidence that anyone there is doing FG conversions of old adventures.

Would it not be someone in FG's senior staff who'd do the conversions given WotC's agreement with Smiteworks?

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2017, 19:54
Would it not be someone in FG's senior staff who'd do the conversions given WotC's agreement with Smiteworks?
SmiteWorks only have an agreement for the new WotC 5E material. Not for converting any previous versions either to 5E or any other version.

L. R. Ballard
March 23rd, 2017, 20:01
SmiteWorks only have an agreement for the new WotC 5E material. Not for converting any previous versions either to 5E or any other version.

Would Smiteworks potentially welcome DMs Guild conversions to 5e of the permissible parts of old (1e or 2e) modules? If so, I can mention this possibility to Stan Shinn and the group at Classic Modules Today.

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2017, 23:11
Would Smiteworks potentially welcome DMs Guild conversions to 5e of the permissible parts of old (1e or 2e) modules? If so, I can mention this possibility to Stan Shinn and the group at Classic Modules Today.
I imagine they would be. The problem comes that on a VTT you really need maps. On the table top, you can hand wave and just use the old maps and do a lot of stuff in your head. But, if I bought an FG module of an old conversion, I would want to have maps and full stat blocks.

The original maps couldn't be included (because no one has license to re-use them and WotC has shown little interest in trying to work our licenses for them. imo this is because they probably don't know or have readily available the licensing info for situations other than print). Maybe an FG conversion could be done where the DM has to provide their own maps and the FG module has the encounters ready to go with the exception of token placement. That might be acceptable.

rob2e
March 23rd, 2017, 23:23
Also, there is a bit of "wonkiness" with maps and updates as well. A specific example is the cartographer put out corrections to a map in Princes of the Apocalypse (and they are downloadable from his site for free), but for some contracting reasons (that are beyond my understanding) Smiteworks cannot include that in the PotA module, so if you want the correct/updated info, you need to find and load that map yourself. I imagine this is not the only example of this WotC/Smiteworks contracting kerfuffle.

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2017, 00:12
Just take comfort in the fact that in a few hours you'll have 7 of the best adventures beautifully converted for Fantasy Grounds :D

JohnD
March 24th, 2017, 01:14

You really need to ask them not a bunch of people who have no say in the matter.

spite
March 24th, 2017, 09:34
Woo it's out!
Snapped it up straight away, thanks team!

L. R. Ballard
March 24th, 2017, 10:02
I imagine they would be. The problem comes that on a VTT you really need maps. On the table top, you can hand wave and just use the old maps and do a lot of stuff in your head. But, if I bought an FG module of an old conversion, I would want to have maps and full stat blocks.

The original maps couldn't be included (because no one has license to re-use them and WotC has shown little interest in trying to work our licenses for them. imo this is because they probably don't know or have readily available the licensing info for situations other than print). Maybe an FG conversion could be done where the DM has to provide their own maps and the FG module has the encounters ready to go with the exception of token placement. That might be acceptable.

Thanks. I agree that FG conversions of classic modules have to have full stat blocks.

Regarding maps, recently, I backed Heruca's MapForge at the publisher/commercial level after requesting that he acquire and include within MapForge some assets for commercial use. I made my request with a view toward solving the problem you've outlined above.

PS: I know that this thread is titled "Tales from the Yawning Portal," so if we need to resume this conversation in another thread, just let me know (and I have preordered a print copy of Tales!).

L. R. Ballard
March 24th, 2017, 10:19
Also, there is a bit of "wonkiness" with maps and updates as well. A specific example is the cartographer put out corrections to a map in Princes of the Apocalypse (and they are downloadable from his site for free), but for some contracting reasons (that are beyond my understanding) Smiteworks cannot include that in the PotA module, so if you want the correct/updated info, you need to find and load that map yourself. I imagine this is not the only example of this WotC/Smiteworks contracting kerfuffle.

That stinks when the error appears in an official product. Otherwise, FG versions of modules like PotA and TftYP set a high standard for how to produce an FG module. The good news about a conversion that appears on DMs Guild is that updated conversions--and their maps, if applicable--can be uploaded directly to the site and then become part of the full installation.

L. R. Ballard
March 24th, 2017, 10:22
You really need to ask them not a bunch of people who have no say in the matter.

I agree.

Gooberosity
March 24th, 2017, 14:00
Just take comfort in the fact that in a few hours you'll have 7 of the best adventures beautifully converted for Fantasy Grounds :D

I was able to glance over a couple of the modules after downloading this morning before heading to work. It looks great! I can't wait to run one of my old faves.

Talen
March 24th, 2017, 15:00
Could you confirm my impression that this is sort of a "greatest hits" collection of the best parts of the individual adventures rather than an update of the entire adventure from each of the classic modules? I would think it would have to be, but was never clear to me in the press releases.

Gwydion
March 24th, 2017, 17:42
Could you confirm my impression that this is sort of a "greatest hits" collection of the best parts of the individual adventures rather than an update of the entire adventure from each of the classic modules? I would think it would have to be, but was never clear to me in the press releases.

I purchased it early this morning. From what I see, it is the complete adventures. Looks very cool.

Gooberosity
March 24th, 2017, 17:46
I only had a few minutes to read through some of Hidden Shrine of the Tamoachan, but it looks like as advertised, in that it's a 5e conversion update of the whole module. (Sorry, I am too old to call these "Adventures"... back in the day we called them "Modules".) Imagine if you went to the store today, and picked up G1-G3 as if it had just come out.

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2017, 17:47

They are the entire adventures updated for 5e.

JohnD
March 24th, 2017, 18:04
A "greatest hits" of ToH would be pretty small given the number of ways you can die.

Trenloe
March 24th, 2017, 18:07
A "greatest hits" of ToH would be pretty small given the number of ways you can die.
In that case a greatest hits (critical hits?) would be as big as the original! ;-)

JohnD
March 24th, 2017, 18:34
In that case a greatest hits (critical hits?) would be as big as the original! ;-)

True. You could also get away with a simple descriptive sentence; "rocks fall everyone dies". Module complete.

hawkwind
March 24th, 2017, 21:22
more of a "Smash hit"

dmkevin
March 24th, 2017, 22:49
There are a fair amount of spelling errors. I was looking at the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan adventure at the table for other denizens in "0.09 Starting the Story" which has some spelling errors and hyphen issues. Fortunately, some errors are being caught and fixed already it appears.

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2017, 23:06
There are a fair amount of spelling errors. I was looking at the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan adventure at the table for other denizens in "0.09 Starting the Story" which has some spelling errors and hyphen issues. Fortunately, some errors are being caught and fixed already it appears.

Can you report issues in the bugs thread please. That way I'm more likely to catch them.

dmkevin
March 24th, 2017, 23:39

dmkevin
March 24th, 2017, 23:41
Also, on the reference manual (I really like this - this is the first of these I've seen) for Tamoachan, FIRST TEIR should be FIRST TIER.

Varsuuk
March 24th, 2017, 23:48

Which! First I heard of this. I have no problem with SW not being able to include the updated map in their updates but PLEASE post some sort of official announcement in these sort of licensing issues when a map or other thing I cannot predict is updated/fixed/added and one must get it externally (even if there is an extra charge)

Some of us have limited net browsing or even hobby news access time. It would be a great help :)

dmkevin
March 24th, 2017, 23:56
Okay, no problem, Zacchaeus

Varsuuk
March 25th, 2017, 00:04
True. You could also get away with a simple descriptive sentence; "rocks fall everyone dies". Module complete.

I remember one time, with Halls of Beol-dur (sp?) (Dragon Or Dungeon mag) we lost most of the party at the "entrance" ah the old days, when sometimes ya just had to reroll.

LordEntrails
March 25th, 2017, 02:04
Which! First I heard of this. I have no problem with SW not being able to include the updated map in their updates but PLEASE post some sort of official announcement in these sort of licensing issues when a map or other thing I cannot predict is updated/fixed/added and one must get it externally (even if there is an extra charge)

Some of us have limited net browsing or even hobby news access time. It would be a great help :)
See the errata for chapter 2 of POTA, https://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/PotA-Errata.pdf

Also (that doesn't mention it), the locations of a couple places have been switched since they were labelled backwards from the descriptions. Mike Schlay has the corrected maps on his site for free; https://prints.mikeschley.com/p763166286/h1C53B7B4#h1c53b7b4

There is also a long discussion of this, and the results on ENWorld; https://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?440360-PotA-Map-Discrepancies

Varsuuk
March 25th, 2017, 06:32
Thanks LordEntrails, I don't mean to be a schlub, I just know I'll miss out on this stuff without you more cognoscenti folks helping out.

Btw, when I typed "Which" it was autocorrected from "Whoah" ;)

LordEntrails
March 25th, 2017, 22:44
Thanks LordEntrails, I don't mean to be a schlub, I just know I'll miss out on this stuff without you more cognoscenti folks helping out.

Btw, when I typed "Which" it was autocorrected from "Whoah" ;)
Never a problem :)

Danimal66
April 6th, 2017, 22:52
Fantastic job on this, I love that they put this together that if you wanted to you could run through every adventure one after the other. Then I thought all that work to just kill my players in TOH is 10 minutes, maybe not so much fun for them :)

JohnD
April 7th, 2017, 02:27
Fantastic job on this, I love that they put this together that if you wanted to you could run through every adventure one after the other. Then I thought all that work to just kill my players in TOH is 10 minutes, maybe not so much fun for them :)

It's important for the DM to have fun too!

Nhairne
April 10th, 2017, 02:52
deleted, im dumb

Gwydion
April 10th, 2017, 02:58
deleted, im dumb

You're not dumb! Please keep asking questions and welcome to the forum! There is so much to learn with fantasy grounds. Enjoy!