PDA

View Full Version : New Fantasy Grounders???

mhorgunn
January 4th, 2017, 00:42
So I'm pretty stoked. Getting one ... maybe two players tonight. Totally new to Fantasy Grounds but not gaming. So I'm just curious ... what do you do? I took my two room dungeon that I made trying to learn Geoquester's mapping techniques. I'm hoping that will be enough to be able to give a taste ... and learn the basics of maneuvering around with out over whelming them.

jasonthelamb
January 4th, 2017, 00:44
I have found people who are familiar to D&D, but not Fantasy Grounds, seem to pick up the program rather quickly. I usually help them set up their character, explain the various tabs on the character sheet, show them how to roll - and from there I sort of ease them in, I show them a demo combat - movement, attacks, drawing, etc., and then I am just very patient as they learn the program.

I try to do a "session 0" one-on-one with them so they don't feel like they're slowing anybody down, but I explain to them that everybody was new once so it's not a big deal if they don't catch on right away.

damned
January 4th, 2017, 00:57
An hour with them one on one or just the new guys is generally enough to get them started. Of course they wont know everything but they will know enough to get the game started.

LordEntrails
January 4th, 2017, 01:34
Walk them through their character sheets, show them how to make an attack and then just start slow :)

Nylanfs
January 4th, 2017, 01:54
Don't forget to make use of the Complete character setup's.

Hurske
January 4th, 2017, 02:01
I just had my session 0 with my Hellfrost group last night, was definitely people new to the ruleset as well as Fantasy Grounds. Having a one on one, or session 0 before the start of a campaign is really good to start the teaching, and showing them the ropes.

mhorgunn
January 4th, 2017, 12:49
I wouldn't say it went as a qualified success. But we made progress. One on one is key I think. One has the advantage that his son is a player with me. The other we got up and running. I think we interested him enough to go from the free demo to getting a license.

Troum
January 11th, 2017, 04:29
Hi, FG community,

All new to D&D + FG, where should I apply for a session 0 meeting?

I've got:
- FG full steam licence
- The player's handbook (browsed it to think about a future character)
- Skype and Team speak
- Motivation

Got no experience on D&D but may know some basics (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale Videogames)
My timezone is GMT+13, living in New Zealand.
Available Monday/Tuesdays could look together for other day/times in detail.

Looking forward to discover D&D, FG and therefore contribute to the community in the future.

Thanks

Bidmaron
January 11th, 2017, 04:44
Welcome troum! Go to the looking for games forum and see what you can find. We have many aussies and a few kiwis here.

dulux-oz
January 11th, 2017, 05:22
Hi Troum, and Welcome! to the Community (even if you are a Kiwi :p ),

If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Seriously: welcome aboard. There's quite a few of us Ozzies and Kiwis around, so you'll fit right in :)

Cheers

damned
January 11th, 2017, 06:27
Hi Troum - see here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36050-LFP-2-Players-wanted-for-Fortnightly-game-(AEDT-GMT-11)