PDA

View Full Version : The Complete Works of Rob Twohy 2016 (for those who might be interested).

rob2e
January 3rd, 2017, 22:20
Hey everyone, with the suggestion from M.T. Black, I have bundled my DMs Guild items, so... The Complete Works of Rob Twohy 2016 is LOCATED HERE (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/202143/The-Complete-Works-of-Rob-Twohy-2016?affiliate_id=878507).

ThanX for all of your support.

Also, If anyone has ideas for stuff they'd like to see on the DMs guild in the way of FG modules, please PM me.

Happy 2017 all!

spite
January 4th, 2017, 08:25
Nice work Rob, would be cool if it recognised what we already had, but maybe I'm just spoiled :P

rob2e
January 4th, 2017, 08:58
I remember buying Star Wars on VHS and also Empire and then Jedi. Then I bought the THX versions. Then I bought the DVDs. Then I bought the blue-rays. Then I bought the digital ones. Lucas has been paid sixteen times by me for the same stuff.

At least with the DMs Guild, you know you'll have any updates for life.

Nylanfs
January 4th, 2017, 14:06
Or until it gets shut down because of Hasbro shelving the D&D IP. :)

GarthGiantbane
January 4th, 2017, 16:16
I was already looking at the package for Conditions and Effects but not committed yet. The bundle was irresistible, thanks!

I've looked through most of the items included and they're great additions for a newish DM (me :) ) on FG. I only have the PHB so some of the tables are inaccessible but that only means I'll be more likely to increase my library in the near future. The included module was a pleasant surprise... now I just have to find four friends to play test it with me.

Thanks

kp9911
January 4th, 2017, 16:30
Or until it gets shut down because of Hasbro shelving the D&D IP. :)

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

LordEntrails
January 4th, 2017, 16:47
If you are on the fence about Rob2e's work, I've done reviews of two of the products in this bundle here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/blog.php?34276-Virtual-Scribe-Reviews

You'll see he does rock solid work. Both reviews give solid four star reviews. To me this means;

4 stars: Great Work, if you have a need for this, then you will want this and will love it. It’s solid, well thought out, well executed and meets all my expectations of an experienced professional product.

Nylanfs
January 4th, 2017, 17:16
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hasbro to my knowledge has never sold ANY IP that it has owned, if the cost benefit ratio doesn't work for them they can quit offering D&D and "throw it on a shelf in storage" till there is more interest in it. If that were to happen then the DMsG would logically also have to shut down because it's technically WotC & by extension Hasbro property, being handled by OneBookShelf.

I think that is unlikely, but it could happen. :)

kp9911
January 4th, 2017, 17:22
I think that is unlikely, but it could happen. :)

This is starting to sound like what if Steam shuts down.

Nylanfs
January 4th, 2017, 19:05
There was a very good chance that D&D could have been shut down during the 4e period.

kp9911
January 4th, 2017, 19:33
Damn anyway let's not derail this thread anymore :p

Answulf
January 4th, 2017, 20:10
Another endorsement - Rob's 5E Condition and Effects is worth the full price of admission just by itself!

It's a fantastic module that will make your life SO much easier as a GM. My players also use it as a guide on how to write their own powers and spells.

rob2e
January 4th, 2017, 23:35
I was already looking at the package for Conditions and Effects but not committed yet. The bundle was irresistible, thanks!

I've looked through most of the items included and they're great additions for a newish DM (me :) ) on FG. I only have the PHB so some of the tables are inaccessible but that only means I'll be more likely to increase my library in the near future. The included module was a pleasant surprise... now I just have to find four friends to play test it with me.

Thanks

I tried to build the things that use library modules so that the free SRD could be used where applicable as well as any modules users might buy. Most Fantasy Grounds DMs usually buy at least the three core modules PHB, MM, and DMG, but not always.

Glad to hear you're getting into the game with FG. Hope you enjoy.

Also, check these forums often, you shouldn't have ANY trouble finding players.

Trenloe
January 5th, 2017, 19:13
Nice work Rob, would be cool if it recognised what we already had, but maybe I'm just spoiled :P
I've seen other bundles on OBS sites take into account if you've already purchased any of the products in the bundle and reduce the price of the bundle appropriately.

rob2e
January 5th, 2017, 19:51
I've seen other bundles on OBS sites take into account if you've already purchased any of the products in the bundle and reduce the price of the bundle appropriately.

Trenloe, that's one way to go, but I thought better of it for three reasons....

1) that would mean I would have a whole bunch of permutations of the package(s) whcich isn't ideal
2) I was advised NOT to do that (probably because of an idea similar to #3...)
3) the Star Wars example again, if you buy Star Wars and then later go and buy the trilogy, you don't get a credit for the first one.

I, of course, am not trying to take advantage, which is why it's prices at over 50% off. If people have some of the items already, they ARE receiving a discount. And they've had the benefit of using them all this time. Any new purchasers are just also getting a big discount for buying in bulk.

Do you think I still am messing up on this?

RCathcart
January 5th, 2017, 20:05
Dammit, Rob! I bought four of your modules last night! Okay, fine...

rob2e
January 5th, 2017, 20:09
Dammit, Rob! I bought four of your modules last night! Okay, fine...

Complete bundle has been up for at least three days. You rolled a 1 on your perception check...

AND I APPRECIATE IT!!!

Trenloe
January 5th, 2017, 20:12
It's entirely up to you what you do. But, I just feel that it doesn't benefit any of the people who supported you when you first released products.

Then, what are your plans for when you release future products? No bundle? Or a new bundle and the people that purchased the previous bundle have to purchase individual products (net higher price) to complete their collection?

RCathcart
January 5th, 2017, 20:25
Complete bundle has been up for at least three days. You rolled a 1 on your perception check...

AND I APPRECIATE IT!!!

Oh, that's cold! LOL

rob2e
January 5th, 2017, 20:27
It's entirely up to you what you do. But, I just feel that it doesn't benefit any of the people who supported you when you first released products.

Then, what are your plans for when you release future products? No bundle? Or a new bundle and the people that purchased the previous bundle have to purchase individual products (net higher price) to complete their collection?

And I would LOVE to reward those who support me, and I THOUGHT I was. M.T. Black has the number one item on DMs Guild and it's just a bundle of many of his adventures. He offers no such support for previous buyers except (as I have) a dep discount.

The answer to your other question is that for future stuff, I will bundle things yearly. That way I'm under pressure to come up with stuff people find enjoyable/useful and do enough every year to even have a bundle. But I will most likely keep bundles and their contents separate from each other. I did put a fair amount of th Ugh into this, but you can't please everyone I guess. I would LIKE to please everyone, but when I was a professional standup comedian if someone got up and walked out, I knew I was doing my job. Ha!

I certainly am open to hearing advice on this though. I do listen, and consider, I may just not act.

rob2e
January 5th, 2017, 20:29
Oh, that's cold! LOL

And are you resistant to cold, or immune, er...?

Trenloe
January 5th, 2017, 20:41
And I would LOVE to reward those who support me, and I THOUGHT I was. M.T. Black has the number one item on DMs Guild and it's just a bundle of many of his adventures. He offers no such support for previous buyers except (as I have) a dep discount.
Just because someone else doesn't cater for previous purchasers doesn't mean that you have to follow suit.

It's one of my bugbears when I support someone early in their RPG product development (i.e. buying their products) and then they release a collections of the products at a reduction and I'm left out of the savings allowed to the late supporters.

I'm assuming it's pretty easy to set your bundles to take previous purchases into account, so I'm a little bit confused as to why you're not using functionality that is available to you to allow previous purchasers to take advantage of recent bundle discounts. The analogy for purchasing Star Wars doesn't really sit true here - very few retailers have the ability to provide subsets of a bundle, taking out the products you've previously purchased. Whereas One Book Shelf do, so it's no hassle to take advantage and reward your early supporters. As I said, it's up to you.

Do what you feel is right, but I think I'll wait on picking up any of your products/bundles until I actually need them, rather than supporting you now for something I might not use (which is what I've tended to do in the past).

rob2e
January 5th, 2017, 20:45
I'm assuming it's pretty easy to set your bundles to take previous purchases into account, so I'm a little bit confused as to why you're not using functionality that is available to you to allow previous purchasers to take advantage of recent bundle discounts.

Now I'm super interested! I am personally not aware of any such functionality. Can you point me to where I can do this? Is there a FAQ? I there a special link? If I can find out how to do this, I WILL ABSOLUTELY DO IT!

Edit: Just sent an email to Matt at OBS regarding giving consideration to previous sales - "... I don't suppose DMs Guild has a functionality to address that (or is working on such)? I would love to support those who support me, but I'm at a loss here..."

We'll see what he says.

Myrdin Potter
January 5th, 2017, 21:03
When I buy bundles on RPG Now and Drivethrough it gives me credit for what I previously bought and I get the bundle discount on the rest. Now, I get the bundle price reduced by the bundle price for the item I own already, not the original price I paid, but I do get credit for it.

Trenloe
January 5th, 2017, 21:12
Thanks for being willing to investigate this Rob. On my bundle purchases that take advantage of this it appears as a line saying "Previous Purchaser $XX Discount Included" when I go into the bundle page itself. As Myrdin says, it gives you credit for the purchases you already have in terms of the reduced bundle price of the product/s - so you just pay the bundle price for the products you don't already own. It works well and, IMHO, is fair to the publisher and the purchaser.

rob2e
January 5th, 2017, 21:14
When I buy bundles on RPG Now and Drivethrough it gives me credit for what I previously bought and I get the bundle discount on the rest. Now, I get the bundle price reduced by the bundle price for the item I own already, not the original price I paid, but I do get credit for it.

But DMs Guild doesn't have the functionality of DriveThru RPG, or RPG Now (just a redressing of DriveThru RPG btw). I know it's all One Book Shelf, but the DMs Guild doesn't have the same "publisher" capabilities.

I did email Matt to ask about this, we'll see what he says.

rob2e
January 5th, 2017, 21:17
Thanks for being willing to investigate this Rob. On my bundle purchases that take advantage of this it appears as a line saying "Previous Purchaser $XX Discount Included" when I go into the bundle page itself. As Myrdin says, it gives you credit for the purchases you already have in terms of the reduced bundle price of the product/s - so you just pay the bundle price for the products you don't already own. It works well and, IMHO, is fair to the publisher and the purchaser.

Yeah, I agree. Also, if DMs Guild DOES have that functionality, it would be great if they somehow let a guy like me KNOW ABOUT IT!!!! Ha.

I'm sure Matt will square me away when he gets back to me.

rob2e
January 5th, 2017, 21:24
The Complete Your Collection feature only works on actual Bundles (where the software bundles separate titles into a bundle) like this:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/170765/DDEX1-Tyranny-of-Dragons-Complete-Bundle-BUNDLE

The Bundle tools are not available for DMG creators right now. What you guys are doing is creating a new title listings, not a Bundle of existing titles. You should probably call them Compilations rather than Bundles, because "Bundles" means a specific thing to people that have been buying bundles on DTRPG.

anemeth
January 8th, 2017, 18:08
Rob does awesome work and has been giving me advice as I start building up my own collection. His is still superior (for now)!

rob2e
January 8th, 2017, 18:44
Rob does awesome work and has been giving me advice as I start building up my own collection. His is still superior (for now)!

Ha! Challenge accepted.

Szabtom
January 19th, 2017, 09:06
Hi rob2e,
I bought the effects package and it looks great. However, when I am a player, the custom effects are not available. Do you know why? How can I access them when I am not DM-ing?

Zacchaeus
January 19th, 2017, 09:19
Hi rob2e,
I bought the effects package and it looks great. However, when I am a player, the custom effects are not available. Do you know why? How can I access them when I am not DM-ing?

Players set effects via their character sheets. Outside of that the DM usually sets effects. I've never tried but I assume that if the DM shares the effects module then you would have access to it. But I'm not sure.

Myrdin Potter
January 19th, 2017, 10:51
If you share it the players can see and access it.

Szabtom
January 19th, 2017, 11:14
I am the player and the DM does not have it.
If I understand correctly, these are my options as a player:
- ask the DM to buy the mod and manage the effects for my class and abilities on my character
- ask the DM to buy the mod and share it in the library, so I can use the custom effects when I need them
- ask the DM to create the effects I need for my class and abilities, and manage them on my character
- I create all the effects I need for my character as actions/powers on the character sheet

So, effectively, as a player I cannot use the mod I bought. It is a DM's tool.
Mind you, I do not see this as the fault of the mod creator, but rather as a weakness of the FG application. Still, I recommend to mention this in the product description.

Zacchaeus
January 19th, 2017, 12:22
Indeed, the mod is a DM tool. Additionally the default position is that the DM controls effects. However the player can create all their own effects as you say and can also apply them. The only thing such a player cannot do is to remove effects, which is reserved for DM actions. There is a player effect removal extension but I've a feeling it doesn't work post v3.2 or at least causes issues.

Szabtom
January 19th, 2017, 12:34
Thanks. I am happy with the purchase as an aspiring DM, and will put it to good use when running adventures in the future. Just a bit disappointed about not getting to enjoy the benefits as a player.
Edit: I now tested sharing the mod as the DM with a player via localhost, and it worked. It shows up under "Supplements" in the Library>Modules view. So, my players will be able to use it. :)

Trenloe
January 19th, 2017, 15:27
@Szabtom - you may be able to request access from the GM when you're a player. Try to activate the module when connected to a GM, the GM will get a message in their chat. They may have to close and reopen module activation to see your module as an option - they can then give you access, but the GM won't be able to use it. I don't have the effects module so can't do a full test, hopefully you'll see the effects OK on the player side.

Szabtom
January 19th, 2017, 15:34
Hi Trenloe,
When I opened the Library/Module section as a player during the game, the modules I own were not visible. I could not see or try to activate this mod in any way.

rob2e
January 19th, 2017, 19:43
@Szabtom - you may be able to request access from the GM when you're a player. Try to activate the module when connected to a GM, the GM will get a message in their chat. They may have to close and reopen module activation to see your module as an option - they can then give you access, but the GM won't be able to use it. I don't have the effects module so can't do a full test, hopefully you'll see the effects OK on the player side.

Trenloe. It seems for some reason players cannot see certain modules in their directories... I started a post here...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36201-Question-about-module-opening-permissions-for-players

Szabtom
January 19th, 2017, 20:26
Thank you, rob2e for chasing the answer!