PDA

View Full Version : LFP: 5e, Wednesday evenings PST, DM has Ultimate license

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2017, 20:55
5 players signed up, one more slot. Do not be afraid to express interest, not uncommon for someone to back out once they try and schedule it.

You have received an invitation to join the fabled Ivory Scimitar adventuring company. Fabled because it has not actually operated for decades. If real, this is an opportunity to pit yourself against what many call the Infernal Machine and delve deep in search of treasure and fame. Invent the exploits of the Company of the Ivory Scimitar as it starts from nothing to become the greatest Mithel company in history. Brave the dangers within the intelligent labyrinth of the mad fey Mithelvarn. Fight enemies both above and below ground, enter the wildlands, wage war against an insidious corruption and finally take the plunge not a sunken dungeon. Can you and your fellow players find a way to outwit your competition for the ultimate prize, immortality, or will the Infernal Machine win out and destroy the entirety of Roslof Keep?

Using the Roslof Keep Campaign recently converted from the successful Kickstarter by rob2e. The module is "old school" right down to having blue ink maps. That means that it is not "balanced" and avoiding combat until ready is a good strategy.

I am an experienced GM, and can use Fantasy Grounds reasonably well.

Rule System: 5e
Day and time: Wednesday 7PM PST (probably 7 PM to 10 PM) and weekly
DM has Ultimate license
Beginners to 5e and FG are welcome, and demo license is fine, but if you are new please let the group know so we can help you along.
Party size: 4-6 and starting at 1st level.
VoIP will be Teamspeak. Probably using the community server but I do have my own server as well.

Other than perhaps some cursing, and comments like the DM is going to grab another beer, I keep my games inclusive and PG level. My other group has my 19 year old daughter in it, and my 14 year old daughter plays as well at her school. I started playing in the early 1980's, but older or younger players are welcome.

Zhern
January 3rd, 2017, 21:02
I would definitely be interested. The hard part for me is going to be staying conscious until 10PST/12CST. I'm one of those "early risers" (I swear, I become more like my father the older I get) that wakes up at 5am and is in the office by 6am to avoid school traffic and leaves at 3 or 4pm to avoid rush hour traffic. I can probably adjust my schedule on that Thursdays, though, and work from home. Anyway, if you still have space and don't mind, I would be very excited to play this.

I backed the Roslof Keep kickstarter also but didn't opt in for the module since Doug hadn't mentioned it was on the approved list yet and then promptly forgot to change my pledge to pick it up before the KS ended. I've also not had a chance to read through it yet and will actively avoid doing so.

Patrick/Zhern

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2017, 21:17
My other game starts at 5 PM PST and I cannot have two weekdays that I need to leave whatever consulting work I am doing to be back home by 5 PM. I woke up at 5 AM for years and years until I semi-retired so I know what you mean about past 10 PM gets hard.

irish_carbomb
January 3rd, 2017, 21:21
I would be interested in joining your game. I have been playing FG for a couple of months now, and am newly back to D&D after 20 some years.

Would this adventure be starting on the 4th, or some later date.
Also how long (weeks) do you expect this adventure to last?

Thanks

Zhern
January 3rd, 2017, 21:22
Yeah, I wouldn't expect that you adjust your times. I'll gladly adjust mine. Anyway, let me know.

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2017, 22:02
So far I am going first come first serve, so you and irish_carbomb have slots reserved. I will try and end it at 10 PM PST, the combat tracker makes it easy to end the game and just pick up next week at the same place.

Once I am full I will send out PM and get further contact information.

In general, I am OK with the Unearthed Arcana class additions (revised Ranger and on) that are extensions to the existing classes. Anything else, please let me know in advance.

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2017, 22:27
I would be interested in joining your game. I have been playing FG for a couple of months now, and am newly back to D&D after 20 some years.

Would this adventure be starting on the 4th, or some later date.
Also how long (weeks) do you expect this adventure to last?

Thanks

I would start it on the 11th if possible and do characters up before that.

The adventure will last as long as the group likes it and we enjoy playing. It claims to be able to take the party to mid-teens.

I never ask for long term commitments at the start, I usually ask after a few sessions of playing to make sure everyone is in sync.

irish_carbomb
January 3rd, 2017, 22:40
Sounds great to me.. I'm game..

Thanks
Irish

pierce768
January 3rd, 2017, 22:58
Definitely Interested.

Wednesday nights are also perfect for me so let me know if I can join. I can start the 11th as well.

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2017, 23:07
Three slots taken - Zhern, irish_carbomb and pierce786.

Upto three left.

fudgeball
January 4th, 2017, 01:51
Hi there, I'm most keen to join your game.

I'm a rather new player - have only DMed Lost Mine of Phandelver, have never played as a player before though.

Hope that's alright.

Hilly
January 4th, 2017, 01:55
Hi, guys,

I am interested as well. I also am attempting a return to game after a long absence. I have the standard version of FG and have toyed with it some but I'm still pretty newish.

Myrdin Potter
January 4th, 2017, 01:55
It is fine. Will add you to the list. This makes 5 so the group is on.

Room for one more to 6.

I will contact everyone via pm and add you all to the scheduled game.

Zhern
January 4th, 2017, 02:15
Any of you folks that are also playing have thoughts on classes yet?

Myrdin Potter
January 4th, 2017, 04:56
I invited the 5 in this thread via the game calendar. One more sent me a PM and I asked them to post here.

roe5021
January 4th, 2017, 05:20
Hi, I sent you a PM about this group. I have some experience with fantasy grounds, and have played d&d throughout my life. I am in the same timezone, so timing wont be a problem.

JohnD
January 4th, 2017, 05:21
I am tentatively interested in playing after a lengthy time on the other side of the screens. I feel safe saying that really would be week where I'd not be available, or late, in the interest of full disclosure.

Myrdin Potter
January 4th, 2017, 05:53
Ok, John you are person number seven so while we shake through the characters, if there is a drop out I will contact you.

Myrdin Potter
January 4th, 2017, 06:16
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2338

That should be the calander entry and I invited everyone that is in the thread.

Hilly
January 4th, 2017, 15:46
Ok, John you are person number seven so while we shake through the characters, if there is a drop out I will contact you.

Myrdin, thanks so much for the invite but go ahead and let John in. I really ought to find a different time for this sort of thing.

Myrdin Potter
January 4th, 2017, 16:32
Ok, hilly, I hope you find a day/time that works better. This Saturday is a FG Daze gaming day so you might be able to get into a game there.

Still missing an email address from roe, once I get it I will use email and the game calendar as the main communication methods.

I typically roll 4 discard one and you arrange in the order you want. Better if rolled in front of me, but my policy is to trust the players. I have all the official WoTC DLC and the UA .mod file as well, so connecting to my server makes it easier.

derabus
January 5th, 2017, 01:55
I would like to join if possible, I believe one of my friends is actually in your group already, both him and I have been playing D&D for 20+ years and we both have quite a lot of experience with FG (been using it for about 4 years)
I prefer caster type characters but I would be willing to fill.
Look forward to hearing from you
Thank you.

Zhern
January 5th, 2017, 02:25
I'll get most everything but abilities done prior and then roll them when you have availability.

Movah
January 5th, 2017, 02:34
if you have any room left shoot me an invite. I am returning to dnd after some time and new to fg but looks like a blast!

Myrdin Potter
January 5th, 2017, 04:03
I am full at 6 players (JohnD was the last) but in my experience when an online game gets going there is attrition, often before the first game, so I will be in touch if a space opens up.

Email sent to the players.

Varsuuk
January 5th, 2017, 08:54
I'd like to try this campaign out. I'm a big AD&D fan from way back (started in my HS Freshman year '79, pretty much heavy play until about '91 - sporadic after that) . Only small experience in 5E thusfar and still learning ropes test-DMing on FG with friend getting mechanics down more than the playing.

I'm in NY so 7pm PST is one of the FEW times I feel I will both be home in time for and have son in bed for as well ;) (it would be 10PM for me) - this is mainly the reason I cannot make games. I am a software engineer working in WTC area of Manhattan and living in Westchester, so by time I'm out and home, it is like nearly 8EST and I have still to eat / spend time with son.

Please let me know, would even show for intermittent play if no regular room.

(I usually play a Fighter, Ranger or once for a few years, Paladin. I often have a secondary character which is a Rogue or Thief-Acrobat type. I've only once had a Magic-User character beyond 3rd. Thing is, not sure I'm too keen still on the Wizards having infinite combat/dmg spells changes. I like in theory things that allow less-used spells to get used (mainly because 1e/2e days they rarely were memorized due to limited slots and needing some 'staples') so it may be that the assigning of "slots" is good (Gygax didn't know EVERYTHING...) but the cantrips... (like cantrips or old, non serious dmging) - but I digress ;P)

PS - would love to play with JohnD as well, heard good things. So maybe in a later draft if stays full. For me it has to be late nights (from EST point of view) to be safe.

Myrdin Potter
January 5th, 2017, 13:57
Characters are being made now, and 6 people in already is a lot, so I cannot go to seven. If something changes I will keep everyone informed. 10 PM to about 1 AM on a weekday can make the next day a little rough. :-p

SnakePerson
January 5th, 2017, 20:35
I am interested in this if there's still room. Are all published WotC player options okay to use? (My Volo's Guide to Monsters is eager for action)

derabus
January 6th, 2017, 21:33
I'd like to join please, I believe one of my good friends is already in your group. I've played D&D for 20+ years and have used FG for a few years as well.

Myrdin Potter
January 6th, 2017, 21:46
I'd like to join please, I believe one of my good friends is already in your group. I've played D&D for 20+ years and have used FG for a few years as well.

You are the first on the "waiting list" and my experience of online groups is that there is often dropout by session zero.

Varsuuk
January 8th, 2017, 02:58
Characters are being made now, and 6 people in already is a lot, so I cannot go to seven. If something changes I will keep everyone informed. 10 PM to about 1 AM on a weekday can make the next day a little rough. :-p

True... but starting at 10PM (my time, EST) is one of the selling features of your game (besides subject matter and shared background of 1E days) - I'm a night person to begin with (less now at 52, no longer can go to bed EVERY night between 3:30-5am and wake at 7:30-7:45. Good thing I am a developer and usually a key or only person on my projects - used to let me go in whenever as long as there was plausible deniability on 9:30-10am-ish (with occasional 11:30s/noonishness...I'd always work 8.5+ hours min and often more from home) . Nowadays, I need to interface with too many other groups and divisions/bosses so 10AM is my hard deadline on going in... ah the sacrifices one must make as on "matures" (lol...not greatly, I am afraid...)

So now... 1AM, I do standing on my head. With 1:30-2AM being my norm and waking at 7:30-8am. Makes commute to Manhattan easier too, avoiding the huge commuter rail rush.

I remember the old days in Hommlett, various homemade, T1-4, Dragonlance, Avatar, etc - running around with 6-7 folks in a game. Was definitely more doable when in person around a table. However, when the Pizza arrived, things tended to get chaotic...

Myrdin Potter
January 8th, 2017, 03:05
I am going to reach out to two "alternates" tomorrow. It is hard to balance and run more than 6 at a time but the storyline is fine with people swapping in and out. Plus, my experience with online D&D is that life happens and sometimes people just want to show up and cannot.

Myrdin Potter
January 8th, 2017, 21:07
For the 6 players that I accepted, I would prefer that characters be ready before the first session. Check your email and if you have not done a character yet, please contact me to set a time or to let me know you did it locally and will import the character in the first session.

chawlee
January 11th, 2017, 04:17
If you get any openings, please let me know! I am PST.

Myrdin Potter
January 12th, 2017, 06:43
Session 1 went off. I have a full crew right now, 6 players plus 2 alternates but if something frees up I will let you know.

Myrdin Potter
January 15th, 2017, 07:28

This is in case any of my players want to discuss physics and techniques in single combat in armor. I have accepted long ago that the rules are rules for a game and they are meant to match the fantasy of what we read and imagine, not reality.

:-)

(I shaved the beard, it is my normal thanksgiving to Christmas growth)

Dead Bear
January 15th, 2017, 15:06
I am interested in joining if you need someone but I did just get Fantasy Grounds

Myrdin Potter
January 19th, 2017, 06:11
I ran the true first session today. Thought I might TPK them a few times (charging into the door to smash it open right into a group of monsters that was a over their heads) but they squeaked through.

I had 5 in tonight's game and 2 others played the session zero. Depending on how it shakes out I may need one more alternate and if I do I will PM interested parties in this thread first.

tsemana
January 19th, 2017, 06:53
I'd also be interested if the start-time continues to be 7pm CST (10pm EST). Which is perfect for my schedule.

Varsuuk
January 19th, 2017, 16:50
All I'm saying is the dude that did that had the sobriquet "Skull-Cleaver", carries a big axe, mutters in Orcish, would toss fingerbones and feathers to pick which doors to open AND wears a necklace of dried ears of some sort...

Not long for this world, especially with his rolls.

Myrdin Potter
January 25th, 2017, 20:08
Varsuuk and derabus - you need to add yourself to the game calendar.

If everyone shows up tonight I will be full with 6 players, but I may have one slot open tonight and I know of one player that cannot make it next week. In general, the party needs a rogue and/or some form of magic user.

Dracius
January 26th, 2017, 03:19

khavi
January 26th, 2017, 04:41
If you have something open up, I'd be interested in playing. ;)

I'd be happy to play a Rogue or a magic user, depending on what the party makeup currently is.

nannywanny
January 26th, 2017, 06:26
Hey! I just finished with a group playing 5E and would love to join up! I'm also in PST so its not much of a problem.

Myrdin Potter
January 26th, 2017, 06:55
I am very full up again, but if slots open (and several have in the 3 weeks I have been running the game) I will bring more people in. I cannot run more than 6 as players and have the module work. It can be tough to find an open game at times, but I assure you that in the first few weeks there almost always are players that drop out and spaces open again.

I also learned one new thing about item ID that I had not known before. Another experienced DM joined to play today. :-)

Myrdin Potter
February 1st, 2017, 19:52
Game is on tonight. 7 PM PST. The game remains quite full, but I use this thread to look for alternates if people drop out.

Revan Volrath
February 2nd, 2017, 04:59
if your open I would like to join new to fg but I have played dnd before (though mostly pathfinder and not 5e) I am free everyday other then Thursday

Myrdin Potter
February 2nd, 2017, 06:15
That was the closest I have been to a TPK in ages. I had two open slots from missing players and one person joined that knew someone that was playing. If I know in advance I will try and find someone here otherwise you can always check on game night.

cutter21
February 16th, 2017, 20:00
Hi there!

I'm RL friends with two of your players and would like to join up. I DM my own sessions and am comfortable with FG.
In speaking with Dracius looks like there might be good placement in the party for a ranged character!

I prefer not to metagame, enjoy the RP, and make the choices that my character would make - and of course, long walks on the beach.

EDIT: I have created my character, and I'm ready to play! :D

Myrdin Potter
February 19th, 2017, 00:50
I am on a China trip this week, and still not sure if I can pull off the game on Wednesday and I have had no shortage of players showing up. If I can somehow fit you in, I will try.

Myrdin Potter
February 23rd, 2017, 08:55
Almost killed another character today. Module is tough and the wrong door opened and you need to run for your life. Plus a few of my players know the 5e rules a little better than me. :-)

AFNick12
February 23rd, 2017, 12:44
If you still have space I would love each to join. Let me know please

SnakePerson
February 24th, 2017, 00:19
Possibly interested if there's room.

Myrdin Potter
February 24th, 2017, 05:13
I am really full right now, maybe even over full.

Sometimes people get lucky by dropping by on teamspeak right before a session starts but I have been running over 6 the last few weeks and hard to run a fun game for everyone if the party is too big.

AncientArchaic
February 24th, 2017, 08:11
I've been playing tabletops since I was ten, was lucky enough to play a couple sessions of AD&D, played my way through other systems like White Wolf's Demon the Fallen, Palladium's Robotech, Exalted, Middle Earth Roleplaying, Mutants and Masterminds second edition, and on into D&D 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder. I never managed to have a good dm for PF, and PFS tended to frustrate me. I'm much more about the roleplay in a group. I've written anywhere from standard amounts of background to a full 12 page history on how the character came about. I'm not adverse to a bit of combat, that said. I've actually been in a number of homebrews in 5e and have really enjoyed them, recently joined a sunday game here on FG (core content) and participated in a Lair Assault as well. I have an Ult license. Shame I didn't see this until today (Friday). When your party size cools down or you have room, let me know.

Myrdin Potter
March 8th, 2017, 23:20
For those looking to try this group, I have a couple of players this week that might be able to only play for an hour of the three hours and I might be able to allow you to play some existing characters and check the game out. Best way to find out is to check just before 7 PM on the FG-con server in the Roslof Keep session room.

SethChaos
March 9th, 2017, 01:44
i want to join plzz hit me up i am interest i am new to 5e but i would like to play monk unarmed no armor

SethChaos
March 9th, 2017, 01:49
if still open i would like to join if possible i am able to learn quick i have not played D&D 5e yet hope you invite me

5 players signed up, one more slot. Do not be afraid to express interest, not uncommon for someone to back out once they try and schedule it.

You have received an invitation to join the fabled Ivory Scimitar adventuring company. Fabled because it has not actually operated for decades. If real, this is an opportunity to pit yourself against what many call the Infernal Machine and delve deep in search of treasure and fame. Invent the exploits of the Company of the Ivory Scimitar as it starts from nothing to become the greatest Mithel company in history. Brave the dangers within the intelligent labyrinth of the mad fey Mithelvarn. Fight enemies both above and below ground, enter the wildlands, wage war against an insidious corruption and finally take the plunge not a sunken dungeon. Can you and your fellow players find a way to outwit your competition for the ultimate prize, immortality, or will the Infernal Machine win out and destroy the entirety of Roslof Keep?

Using the Roslof Keep Campaign recently converted from the successful Kickstarter by rob2e. The module is "old school" right down to having blue ink maps. That means that it is not "balanced" and avoiding combat until ready is a good strategy.

I am an experienced GM, and can use Fantasy Grounds reasonably well.

Rule System: 5e
Day and time: Wednesday 7PM PST (probably 7 PM to 10 PM) and weekly
DM has Ultimate license
Beginners to 5e and FG are welcome, and demo license is fine, but if you are new please let the group know so we can help you along.
Party size: 4-6 and starting at 1st level.
VoIP will be Teamspeak. Probably using the community server but I do have my own server as well.

Other than perhaps some cursing, and comments like the DM is going to grab another beer, I keep my games inclusive and PG level. My other group has my 19 year old daughter in it, and my 14 year old daughter plays as well at her school. I started playing in the early 1980's, but older or younger players are welcome.

Myrdin Potter
April 28th, 2017, 03:27
I have room for one more player due to some existing players changing work schedules.

Lyconius
April 28th, 2017, 15:52
This sounds so awesome, but unfortunately I go to work at 10 :(

mountainman
April 30th, 2017, 18:07
If you are still looking for a player, I would be interested in joining. I'm new to 5E... I played 2E and 3.5E (especially Pathfinder) quite a bit, but it's been a couple of years. So, I'm more rusty than inexperienced, though 5E is new (I have picked up the core rulebooks). I'm also relatively new to FG, but I have a standard license.

I'm in MST, but the time difference will help me as I have a toddler to get to bed, anyway. :-)

Hope to hear from ya!

Myrdin Potter
May 4th, 2017, 03:08
Sorry I did not get back to you, have been under the weather this week ... Will get back to you tomorrow.

mountainman
May 4th, 2017, 04:39
No problem -- hope you're feeling better!

SilverEagle82
May 4th, 2017, 21:57
I am interested

Myrdin Potter
May 10th, 2017, 02:51
I am traveling this week so the next game is next week. I will be getting back to everyone before next Wednesday.

GruNoof
May 10th, 2017, 03:45
I saw you were looking and skipped to the end of the thread so don't know how many you're still looking for. In any case, Wednesday night slot is perfect for me! Thanks!

Gothstaff
May 17th, 2017, 05:09
Hello Myrdin, sent you a PM but I get a message that you have exceeded your stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until you clear some space.

Myrdin Potter
August 10th, 2017, 00:01
I had a player need to drop out as a sporting activity started on Wednesday nights.

So I have one spot available in the group.

If you are interested in playing tonight, look for the Roslof Keep chat in the 5e group on the community teamspeak and pop in. We start at 7 PM, and I usually am on a little earlier. I can assign you the existing character (6th level now) and we can do a new, specific one if you decide to more permanently join the group.