PDA

View Full Version : 5E Damage Resistance

technocrat13
December 31st, 2016, 05:53
Hey all,

I'm in the process of trying to create an Actions-tab button for a Monk to auto-calculate the damage resistance provided by Deflect Missiles. However, unlike 3.5 which has a DR effect, I can't seem to find any way to add damage resistance to a character via 5E.

I realize I could create an effect that gives a negative damage bonus to the Monk's attacker, but I was hoping to let the player just click their Deflect Missiles button without having to drag it anywhere.

Any suggestions for making Damage Resistance effects in 5E?

EDITED TO ADD

Never mind, I found it. "RESIST" has an option for DR built into it. I had assumed that, per 5E rules "RESIST" would automatically be half-damage.

Thanks anyway.

Zacchaeus
December 31st, 2016, 09:31
You can't really use RESIST for deflect missiles since RESIST will only take a fixed number as a value not a dice value or even a dice expression.

The only way that you might possibly deal with this is to create a negative damage effect such as DMG:-1d10-[DEX],[-LVL] and place this effect on the attacker just before the attacker rolls damage. You should see the damage calculation in chat and if it is a negative number the Monk will have caught the missile and you can then deal with the counter attack.

technocrat13
January 1st, 2017, 01:13
You can't really use RESIST for deflect missiles since RESIST will only take a fixed number as a value not a dice value or even a dice expression.

The only way that you might possibly deal with this is to create a negative damage effect such as DMG:-1d10-[DEX],[-LVL] and place this effect on the attacker just before the attacker rolls damage. You should see the damage calculation in chat and if it is a negative number the Monk will have caught the missile and you can then deal with the counter attack.

Yeah...

I figured that out after hours of experimenting with different ways to get "1d10" to parse with RESIST and failing to do so.

The negative damage thing works okay. Just so long as the attacker doesn't roll a crit. It's a bit clumsy, but I guess it's either that or manually calculate it.

Trenloe
January 1st, 2017, 21:18
I figured that out after hours of experimenting with different ways to get "1d10" to parse with RESIST and failing to do so.
Always a good idea to check the documentation (I know you probably don't want to hear that now - but good to keep in mind for the future). The (N) in the "Value" column of the Effects "Modifiers" table indicates that dice can't be used: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers The key mentions: "(N) = Only numbers supported for value attribute" A "(D)" would indicate "Dice and numbers supported for value attribute"

Zacchaeus
January 1st, 2017, 22:18
Yeah...

The negative damage thing works okay. Just so long as the attacker doesn't roll a crit. It's a bit clumsy, but I guess it's either that or manually calculate it.

Not sure what you mean about the critical damage. The Deflect Missiles ability reduces whatever damage is rolled and the effect, if applied just before damage is rolled, will reduce whatever the roll total is by the correct amount. Any damage which exceeds the deflect missile ability will get through as normal.

Nickademus
January 1st, 2017, 23:59
Not sure what you mean about the critical damage.

Oh. I think FG might double the negative die on the crit....

A way that I deal with this that is a bit different (but more friendly on my DM) is to apply the damage mitigation after the damage. I make a Heal action for 1 point. Then I hotbar a '/die d#...' for the raw roll. When I'm damaged, I hit the hotbar key to see how much I block, then I add 1 point less to the modifier box and hit the Heal action on the hotbar. This lets me control exactly how much health I'm getting back but still automates the process.