PDA

View Full Version : Trade Wars 2002, Anyone?

dulux-oz
December 31st, 2016, 01:34
Hi Gang,

Its approx 01:30 GMT Saturday 31 Dec 2016 as I write this. Over the last couple of days I've been hankerin' for some old-school Trade Wars 2002 action, so I fired up my old TWGS Server and set up a game - and now I invite anyone who's interested in joining me.

I've kept it pretty much Classic Trade Wars and kept the Turns Per Day down to 250 so that it should only take 15-20 minutes to have your day's worth each day (and to help keep the game-play "casual"). I'll set the Universe size to something appropriate once a few people have indicated they'd like to play. I'll kick it off in a few days once I've got some confirmed interest (at about 01:00 GMT), and I'll run the Daily Update at about 01:00 GMT as well. The server can handle up to 100 concurrent connections so there should be plenty of room for everybody who's interested.

If you've never played Trade Wars or another old-school BBS Door Game before then you can find some info here (https://www.dulux-oz.peregrineit.net/trade_wars_intro.htm) and also on Wikipedia here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_Wars). All you need to play is a Telnet App, such as Putty (free to download) or anything similar for Windows, Mac, Linux or Android (I've tested with all 4 platforms). In the meantime, before we kick off the "official" game, there'll be one or more Test Games appearing (and disappearing) on the Server so people can have a look around and get their feet wet.

And don't worry if its a few weeks past when I originally wrote this - drop on in and start playing or post here and I'll set up another game (if required) - don't worry, you'll still get a good game even if you're "late". :)

So, I hope to see you there - please use either your real name or your Forum Alias as your logon (no password required). Connect to tw.peregrineit.net on port 2002 - and watch out for Cap'n Jack!

ARRHH! So ye think ye’ve got what it takes to beat ol’ Cap’n Jack, do ye? I’ve been plying these here spacelanes for longer then ye’s been alive, and no man nor alien has beaten ol’ Cap’n Jack yet! So come on, me hearties! Don’t be shy! Grab yer ship and get trading!

An’ watch out for ol’ Cap’n Jack!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

ddavison
December 31st, 2016, 02:52
Man, I used to love TW2002. I have a license for a server laying around in an old grey envelope that I still keep (if I can find it after the move.) I used to play when I was in middle school on a couple different BBS' and tie up the 2nd phone line for hours every night. There was even a bit of resurgence for the game when I was in college and it had moved to play over the Internet. I played again and even ran a somewhat decent sized game on a gaming forum I ran on my company's fileserver for a while. The modern game that I played about 8 years ago almost didn't resemble the original. There were unlimited turns, cooperative scripts to run mixed good and evil aligned corps, grid laying and monitoring scripts to trap and destroy enemies and all kinds of stuff.

dulux-oz
December 31st, 2016, 02:59
Yeap, that's the one - but I've kept the Turns per Day down to help "alleviate" some of the runaway scripting "issues" - so, you in?