PDA

View Full Version : okay i'm stumped!

tommenquar
December 30th, 2016, 19:22
So i have been looking at this wiki page for what seems like hours...i cannot wrap my head around making actions. I am trying to add a breath weapon to the actions tabs on my players dragon born including the saving throw and the whole 9 yards. much like you see on the NPC's combat tracker entry

LordEntrails
December 30th, 2016, 19:42
Are you talking 5E? If so, check out the stickies at the top of that forum. You will find a bunch of character examples including what you need. For example, check out these posts:
- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27298-Extensions-Modules-Pregens-and-other-5E-resources
- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

tommenquar
December 31st, 2016, 17:28
even with this information...i seem to be missing something. this is very frustrating is there anyone who can help me figure this out?

NotRussellCrowe
December 31st, 2016, 17:39
even with this information...i seem to be missing something. this is very frustrating is there anyone who can help me figure this out?

Hi, tommenquar, have you checked out Zacchaeus' complete effects yet?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

Take a look at some of those characters and see if you find something close (those are for classes, not races) and then modify as necessary. That's what I've done in the past. I'm no expert mind you but it's been enough for me so far. Check out the cleric's channel divinity for examples of saving throws.

tommenquar
December 31st, 2016, 17:42
ive done that. im just not sure if im even going about it the correct way. basically im trying to get the effects to handle the same way as npc actions on the combat tracker. like sneak attack and breath weapons....

NotRussellCrowe
December 31st, 2016, 17:45
ive done that. im just not sure if im even going about it the correct way. basically im trying to get the effects to handle the same way as npc actions on the combat tracker. like sneak attack and breath weapons....

Sneak attack can be found under the Rogue's effects. When the DM allows sneak attack and you hit then you just press the effect button before rolling for damage.

tommenquar
December 31st, 2016, 17:47
rogue effects? i seem to be missing something

NotRussellCrowe
December 31st, 2016, 17:50
rogue effects? i seem to be missing something

Download the following character XML file from: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27332-Effects-The-Complete-Rogue-Package.

Import the file as a new character into Fantasy Grounds and then check out the Action tab for this character. There should be a Sneak Attack action configured. Of course it's configured as a level 20 rogue so you may have to scale it down a bit but it will get you started.

Myrdin Potter
December 31st, 2016, 18:01
Are you having trouble figuring out how to start the process of adding an action to a character sheet? It is not the most intuitive and new actions seem to start as spells until renamed and changed. That may be confusing you.

tommenquar
December 31st, 2016, 18:08
Are you having trouble figuring out how to start the process of adding an action to a character sheet? It is not the most intuitive and new actions seem to start as spells until renamed and changed. That may be confusing you.

i beleive this is the case. i just dont get it.

Myrdin Potter
December 31st, 2016, 18:19
I am having a flashback to when I first tried. The feedback from what you are doing is probably not what you expect. It is the way the UI in FG works, somethings are not what you think. I got stuck the exact same way at this point.

Let me start up FG and see if I can describe it well enough to get you over the hump so you can instead struggle with coding the powers instead of just starting one.

:-)

Myrdin Potter
December 31st, 2016, 18:48
Ok, first step it is get to the action tab and in the bottom lower right there is a pencil icon (white slash in brown circle for me) and you need to push that. You then will have a choice of two new icons (blue) one a star and one a sword. The sword is for weapons and the star is for "powers" and that is the one you want. Click the star and, on a blank character sheet, there should be a new section called powers that has to spaces to put text in.

The two text fields are really information only. The one on the left is the name for the power and the one in the right is the group you want it to go into. Change the left text field to Breath Weapon and the right one to Dragonborn Powers. Once you click into another field, there will be a new group called Dragonborn Powers. The group has a magnifying glass that can be clicked to set some general conditions. The new power itself can be right clicked and you will get a radial menu. Choose add action here. Add item adds a line for a whole new power.

Did you get that far or is this redundant?

Answulf
December 31st, 2016, 21:18
Here is an image that might help, too, with a sneak attack power:

The yellow box shows the location and the syntax of the effect that you add to the sneak attack by right-clicking on it, in the same process Myrdin is describing above. You can also see the blue buttons he is describing.

In execution: When you click on the Effect button, a sneak attack effect is applied to the character for the next attack. The red box shows the results of the sneak attack effect after the character performed an attack on the bandit with his dagger.

Zacchaeus
December 31st, 2016, 21:45
You may want to have a read of this wiki article (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) first and then if you look at the examples on this wiki page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Race_Traits) you'll see the Dragonborn effect set up.

tommenquar
December 31st, 2016, 22:46
Ok, first step it is get to the action tab and in the bottom lower right there is a pencil icon (white slash in brown circle for me) and you need to push that. You then will have a choice of two new icons (blue) one a star and one a sword. The sword is for weapons and the star is for "powers" and that is the one you want. Click the star and, on a blank character sheet, there should be a new section called powers that has to spaces to put text in.

The two text fields are really information only. The one on the left is the name for the power and the one in the right is the group you want it to go into. Change the left text field to Breath Weapon and the right one to Dragonborn Powers. Once you click into another field, there will be a new group called Dragonborn Powers. The group has a magnifying glass that can be clicked to set some general conditions. The new power itself can be right clicked and you will get a radial menu. Choose add action here. Add item adds a line for a whole new power.

Did you get that far or is this redundant?

This helped! thanks for everything!

Thanks everyone who assisted me.

Trenloe
December 31st, 2016, 23:44
I think the key here is that actions don't populate in the combat tracker for PCs, they need to be added to the actions tab of the character sheets and controlled from there. PC actions can be so much more complex than NPC actions so they aren't available in the combat tracker.

Myrdin Potter
December 31st, 2016, 23:45
I only figured out your issue as I had the exact same problem. Now it seems obvious but less than six months ago I was stuck exactly where you were.