PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic maps - Lairs pack (Anyone have it?)

Gwydion
December 30th, 2016, 15:41
Morning, everyone. So, I can't help continuing to look for stuff that's on sale right now. I can never have enough good maps. I was looking at the Fantastic Maps - Lairs Pack and it looked pretty interesting. Its on sale at $14.99 from $19.99.

Does anyone have this pack? Any comments on quality? Really thinking about picking it up before the sale ends. Thanks!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=RPLairsFG2

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2016, 17:50
I have to admit up front that I am biased since I've known the author of these maps since he was about 12. He does fantastic work and the Lairs Pack is pretty good (but see opening disclaimer) :)

Trenloe
December 30th, 2016, 20:26
You can get an idea of the map quality by looking here: https://www.fantasticmaps.com/free-stuff/ and other pages on that site.

Gwydion
January 1st, 2017, 17:33
Thanks everyone. I pulled the trigger. I'll load it up and look at it tomorrow.

RCathcart
January 1st, 2017, 18:06
Got these a while ago. Very nice. Forced me to learn how to quickly resize images on FG, cuz these are big map images! lol

Trenloe
January 1st, 2017, 20:00
Got these a while ago. Very nice. Forced me to learn how to quickly resize images on FG, cuz these are big map images! lol
Yeah, there's some nice resize features become available in CoreRPG based FG rulesets over the last few releases - size to horizontal and vertical are very handy in resizing the image to be completely visible on screen, and the new (to come in v3.2.2) resize small will help as the first step in getting those big maps visible, whatever your screen size.

Nickademus
January 1st, 2017, 23:53
Thanks everyone. I pulled the trigger. I'll load it up and look at it tomorrow.

Be sure to let us know what you think... you know, 'word of mouth' and all...

Gwydion
January 2nd, 2017, 14:01

Definitely will. Finally back home late today and will check it out and report back.

Gwydion
January 3rd, 2017, 14:27

So, I just had time to look at it. I really like the maps. I wish some had a bit more explanation as sometimes I have a difficult time understanding depth in maps. That being said, as a dm I can interpret them however I want! I love that in the story entries they include a little tutorial on map sizing in FG. Nice touch. There are 10 unique locations in this pack, with many having different versions (gridded and gridless, color and black and white, etc..) Here are my thoughts on the maps (Spoilers ahead if you are a player!):

Bandit Lair - Sweet two level lair that is built into a mountainside. Very well done. You get the lower and upper levels with and without a grid. Grids are already perfectly sized at 100 px. Bonus here is the isometric map. This is awesome. Really shows the dept of the levels, how they connect, etc.. There isn't a lot of "detail" in terms of items, etc. but I have so many token packs, I can include my own detail. The detail on the cavern itself and the waterfall flowing through the levels is outstanding! I love this map and will find a way to use it!

Caravan - Seems like this would be fit for a desert campaign with a bazaar. There is a huge large cool room with tons of pillows and carpets on the floor. Also some really nice size rooms. Very large. You get an upper and lower level with and without grids. I probably won't use this but I could really see someone with a desert theme wanting this and loving it.

Dragon Lair - Very sweet map. Not extremely large, but I like the concept. There is a neat little cutout (think out of the abyss first map) to show the depth of the cavern. This is one where a true isometric map like the bandit lair would have been over the top awesome! This map only comes gridless in 50px and 100 px. Obviously easy to throw the grid on it given the sizing is perfect. Some very cool lava in here and a raised platform ideal for dropping in that dragon guarding its treasure. I will find a use for this!

Dungeon - Somewhat smallish map that might be ideal for a side encounter. Maybe a boss battle even. Some cool bridges and platforms over a river to get to the dungeon. The dungeon itself is again pretty nondescript but I like that as I can add in my own details and keep reusing it. Comes with and without a grid and also without bridges if you want that. Finally, comes in a cool black and white version too.

Encampment - Again a somewhat smallish map, but I love the detail. It is an encampment that appears to be in a desert or some type of rocky formation. Some really cool rock platforms with stairs/bridges in between some of the rocks. Built around a large winding river. I'll find a way to use this one definitely. I like the detail to show multi-levels here with the shading. Comes with and without a grid.

Ice temple - This is set inside an ice waterfall. In the lower right of the screen is a cutout view which is amazing!!! The map itself is pretty basic and open but it is flipping amazing! You can see down into the cavern from the sides of the waterfall. There is also an amazing huge circle with runes carved into it and an incredible picture (or is it real?) of a winged beast that takes up the entire cavern. Hard to describe but this is one of my favorite maps. I have a tie-in with POTA where one of my character's parents were killed by an ice devil. I've been planning a side quest for her to confront the devil after she finds it. Now I have its lair. Love this map! Comes with and without a grid.

Island Cave - Another really cool idea for a map. The best way I can describe it is it seems to be a tunnel that leads under and enormous tree (you only see the trunk and a couple stub branches) which appears to be 25-30' wide based on the map scaling. A tunnel leads under the tree to a few different rooms. Kind of reminds me of an ant tunnel with just a few branches into a a couple of large rooms. Would be a great idea for a side-quest bandit hideout or maybe something that burrows? Really like this one too and have to figure out how to use it.

MeadHall - This one you need to use your imagination to describe. Seems to be a large tavernesque building. Appears very Nordic to me. Built on what appears to be a large ice land mass and you get to it by crossing a small bridge over water. the entrance appears to be open with large white curving poles. Once inside there are rows of benches, a statue, some kind of pit thing and what looks like an enormous skull-like thingy. Very hard for me to describe but again, some very cool detail. Comes with and without a grid. Need to find a way to use this one. Maybe the player I described above finds this mead hall and learns where to finally find the ice devil? :)

Necromancer's Lair - This one is still pretty cool but might be my least favorite. Its a large, square dungeon-like room (one room) that is about 100' by 100'. Some neat green circles with runes in them and some large black pit-like areas that appear to have some kinds of parasites/worms living at the bottom. Some creative DM could probably make this a really unique lair for a necromancer. I'm just not sure I'll use it at this point. Several versions, though. With and without a grid, a few black and white versions as well without circles, etc..

Watchtower - Now this is a sweet map! Reminds me of something that could be used with SKT or POTA. Large tower that is more like a keep. A very long staircase leading up to it and a sheer cliff face to the south. Some really cool stonework for the keep itself and several tower locations that scream out for archers! I will absolutely be using this one. Comes with and without the grid in color and BW. Although I love the color version there is something about the BW version that makes me really want to use it in a campaign.

Bottom line, I'm very pleased with the $14.99 spent (got it during the sale) but would have still felt I got a lot of value at $19.99. For the amount of use I think I will get out of these and the fact that it already comes with multiple versions which might save me some time, I think it will be money well spent for me. I also like that as unique as these are I think I can spruce them up with some of the other token packs I have and make them feel much different. Definitely should get multiple uses out of several of these maps.

Hope this is helpful. Happy New Year everyone!!!

LordEntrails
January 3rd, 2017, 18:46
So, I just had time to look at it. I really like the maps. I wish some had a bit more explanation as sometimes I have a difficult time understanding depth in maps. That being said, as a dm I can interpret them however I want! I love that in the story entries they include a little tutorial on map sizing in FG. Nice touch. There are 10 unique locations in this pack, with many having different versions (gridded and gridless, color and black and white, etc..) Here are my thoughts on the maps (Spoilers ahead if you are a player!):
<snip>
Bottom line, I'm very pleased with the $14.99 spent (got it during the sale) but would have still felt I got a lot of value at $19.99. For the amount of use I think I will get out of these and the fact that it already comes with multiple versions which might save me some time, I think it will be money well spent for me. I also like that as unique as these are I think I can spruce them up with some of the other token packs I have and make them feel much different. Definitely should get multiple uses out of several of these maps.

Hope this is helpful. Happy New Year everyone!!!
Nice review. Very helpful, thanks for sharing it.