FG License: Ultimate
Game System: 5th edition
Time Zone: cst
Day of week and time: Either Mondays or Tuesdays, 2 9pm
If new game, planned start date: either 01-16-17 or the day after
Planned Frequency: once per week
Text or Voice: voice
Voice software used: FG’s Teamspeak server
Roleplay & Combat mix: This depends, anywhere from 25/75 to 75/25 depending on player choices (See below)
Number of Players in game & needed: 3 (We already have 2)
Character starting level & equipment: 1st or 2nd, depending on whether players fill out the character questionnaire; I have a questionnaire that asks questions about your character; if you answer them fully you start out at 2nd level instead of 1st.
Character restrictions: Several actually; this is a world where the different races are fairly xenophobic, so since this is focused on a human empire, only human, half elf, half orc, and Halfling are allowed, as those are the only members of this humanocentric empire. The other races are here, just as the various kingdoms are xenophobic the other races would not do well in this campaign – at least, at onset. There are a few class restrictions too, but more based on your origin; for example, barbarians as a playable class can only come from one region of the setting.

Details of your scenario:

The setting of this campaign is in a world where there are several kingdoms or empires, but they are, as mentioned above, xenophobic and do not interact; as such, “alien” races are not generally allowed to cross borders, with the exception of half breeds such as half elves. Half breeds are exceedingly rare, although many of them actually come about from an unexpected pairing; if you had a nonhuman ancestor in your past, even if you marry another human, those rare recessive traits could emerge to make a half elf or half orc.

For that matter, they are actually more common than the direct type, as interaction between the races in the past were more common than now. Halflings are the one exception, having lived alongside humans for so long, albeit in their own, quiet, secretive communities, that they are accepted and considered members of the empire.

The characters are starting out in the empire at a time at the absolute height of its power… but the emperor, nearing death, has no heir, and to claim the throne, civil war is almost certain. Additionally, enemies of the empire lick their lips, looking at the chance that the empire may suddenly be vulnerable. Wars between heaven and hell for the salvation or damnation of mankind is being waged, the far realm seeks to break down the walls of creation, and fey and ironborn lords seek to remake the world in their images.

This has been set up as a kind of sandbox campaign. I have some definite plotlines that will be going on; several of them, in fact, and you can choose which to pursue, if any, or even pursue something else. As such, the campaign, the levels of combat vs roleplaying, politics vs monster hunting, etc, will all be at your discretion.

As such, these are the types of players I’m looking for:
1. Able to follow rule 0; every campaign I’ve run online so far, I’ve had to kick out one or two players for being completely intractable. I try to follow the rules pretty well, but I have a few house rules, and sometimes I don’t do things entirely by the book. Some players aren’t accepting of that and argue and argue and argue and argue…. I have no problem with a discussion if someone thinks I forgot something or should run something different, but once I make a rule I need that respected – and the player in question needs to be ok with that. If you are stubborn about how a game should be run, or love to argue and argue and argue… this game isn’t for you. That being said, I do tend to try and stick to the rules, but I do flex on a couple of things once in awhile.

2. Be mature. That’s pretty much it. It’s a game, have fun, don’t get too serious, and be nice.

3. Because of the sandboxy nature of this campaign, the players need to have three things: the first, have a character that is self motivated – don’t make me have to drag that character into the plot. Secondly, be proactive – don’t wait for me to lead you by the nose, grab the adventure and pursue things. Finally, be able to work as a team – if the ranger wants to head into the deep dark expanse of the Broken Teeth mountains to hunt monsters he’s heard plaguing nearby villages, and the bard wants to go to Stormbluff Fortress to dive into the politics of the nobles with the civil war brimming over the Empire’s cup, that could be an issue. I think it may even be best for the players to make their characters together so they can work on a team that can work these things out.

4. Be available most of the time. Things happen, and I won’t begrudge an occasional absence, but if you can’t be relied on a great deal of the time, it will just be a waste of everyone’s time, including yours. Make sure you can commit the time before signing on.
5. Because of the sandbox nature of this game, if you decide to do something wild or unexpected, and I will need to do some planning and preparation, please don’t spring it on me for something to do that game session, do so in such a way I have a week or two to prepare for your change of plans ;)

So this game has a number of restrictions on player character creation, but it has a lot of freedom in what you decide to do.
So, if this sounds like you might enjoy a game like this, then PM me; tell me about yourself and why you think you’d be a good fit for this game. In my experience, there aren’t enough game masters for the players looking for games, so I might well get inundated with requests; so tell me something that makes you stand out.

However, in my experience, I’ve normally lost one to two players per campaign before it really gets going, so even if I don’t initially pick you, I might come back to you if and when someone turns out to be a non-starter.

I look forward to hearing from you.

James

jmucchiello
December 29th, 2016, 07:28
FG License: Ultimate
Game System: 5th edition
Time Zone: cst
Day of week and time: Either Mondays or Tuesdays, 2 9pm

Hi, James, Total FG noob here. But I've done RPing for decades. I have TS and 10pm EST works for me depending on how many hours you plan to run each night. So how many hours per week would this be?

You say you have two players already. Do they have chars? (classes/races) or is chargen going to be done in FG? I only have the free version. (Since I'm total new to FG, I haven't bought it yet.) I am a computer programmer by day so I hope I can get up to speed on FG pretty quickly.

I read your scenario and I'm going to think about something fun to play but need more details before really going far. Answering character personality sheets can be fun.

Thanks,
Joe

Gertak
December 29th, 2016, 19:48
I may be interested depending on which day you go with and how long your sessions are planned to last.

Fatherdeath
December 29th, 2016, 20:03
If it's Mondays I'm interested anything else and I have to bow out

Reafwalk
December 31st, 2016, 22:57
Any updates on this here thing?

jmucchiello
December 31st, 2016, 23:10
Well, it is new year's eve/day.

Ruinous
January 2nd, 2017, 16:22
Hello, I am very interested and Tuesday nights work with my schedule. I'm looking for a long-term once a week D&D group that works well together. I am a DM in a group of college friends but it's very sporadic. Also, I understand and completely agree with the need to follow the rules the DM puts fourth.

roberth
January 2nd, 2017, 20:31
I may be interested depending on day and time

Morfedel
January 3rd, 2017, 04:29
Yes, sorry, due to the holidays and a nonserious but irritating illness, I was not really at my computer much. I'm back now and reading my PMs

Reafwalk
January 3rd, 2017, 04:31
Yes, sorry, due to the holidays and a nonserious but irritating illness, I was not really at my computer much. I'm back now and reading my PMs

Woohoo! Sorry to hear about the illness, glad to hear things is moving forward.

Morfedel
January 3rd, 2017, 04:45
Ok, I have invited everyone I plan to for the time being; Sadly there are always more applicants than space I have, but experience has also taught me that one or two players tend to drop out within a month or so, so if that happens, I'll be contacting people who responded first to see if anyone who wasnt able to join might still be interested.

Sorry for those I couldn't have in immediately, but in the meantime, good luck, and maybe we will talk again soon!

James

Morfedel
January 3rd, 2017, 04:48
Woohoo! Sorry to hear about the illness, glad to hear things is moving forward.

Thanks! How was your holidays?

Reafwalk
January 4th, 2017, 06:39
Pretty good, though my real holiday week starts in a couple days (because, during the actual holidays, I had to work). Were your holidays good, aside from the slight illness?