PDA

View Full Version : Silly Questions

Varsuuk
December 28th, 2016, 05:24
See... if anyone else wants to ask something that is likely obvious, here is the thread! (You are welcome ;P)

I've been testing modules practicing to DM one, I sometimes see a Yellow Star on PC's portraits up in top left. But not always. Just now, I connected on second instance (localhost) to my Ultimate and nothing shows on portrait.
I've seen this in some youtube videos also - where every portrait has a yellow star.

Not sure if this is 5E specific, but saw it in 5E so figured post here.

Waits for /facepalm...

Trenloe
December 28th, 2016, 05:32
#8 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Main_Tab

Varsuuk
December 28th, 2016, 09:25
I've been wanting to ask that for a while - but kept thinking would notice it eventually in the pdf or something - AHA!
Thank you. Makes sense since I haven't been giving it due to playing by myself. Tomorrow will be first 2 player dry run as DM.

From my run through, realized I forgot to get the "player effects" that Zac and others posted for certain abilities. Will grab those tomorrow for our characters.
Had my first chase, not sure did it right (but DID use that DMG chase chart) will look up on web for better description or examples. The good news is the way I did it was acceptable and still better than what we did prior. If there is better - all the better.

Didn't yet look online - but:

1) Is there a way to mark fatigue levels on character sheets?

2) What's a good place to read about the modifier [+/-] button and how to use? I click em, they go red but not sure what it is doing. Unlike the effects button, nothing appears applied to anyone.

damned
December 28th, 2016, 10:42
Modifiers are one time effects that apply to the very next roll YOU make.
look in the modifiers window bottom left of screen.

Nickademus
December 28th, 2016, 11:06
The Modifier Stack has a row of black dots. When you add a modifier, one of the dots will turn white. You can stack up to 8 modifiers this way. Click on the white dot to remove the modifier. When you roll a die, all the modifiers will expend and vanish from the Stack.

Trenloe
December 28th, 2016, 16:59
1) Is there a way to mark fatigue levels on character sheets?
I take it you are referring to the 6 levels of Exhaustion? If so, use the EXHAUSTION: X effect. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers

Varsuuk
December 28th, 2016, 18:45
Trenloe, yes, I was - I tried it and it worked. I also printed out the effects page to read at leisure.
I At first I thought needed to create Exhaustion: 1..6 entries, but then testing see that clicking on :1 will simply add them because on 3rd it added the DIS to Attk&Sav as expected. So that's easy enough.

The Modifier button thing is workable, but I think that having a GM apply an "effect" or "modifier" to an NPC is safer than making sure both the player remembers to apply it before rolling and you checking that it was applied. Then, constantly reapplying it if the target remains behind cover.

But I guess this is probably because as an effect it could not know if the - applies, because if the attacker was right next to it, the negative would not apply. Would be nice if there were an "isRangedAttk" type thing to check against before deciding if the effect applied. It doesn't happen often and is really no harder than at a table so it is only deficient by the standards of FG ;)

Trenloe
December 28th, 2016, 19:43
Modifiers is there so that people can do quick rolls without using effects. There are many new users to FG who take time to master effects and so having a qucik an easy way to modify rolls is vital. It's another example of FG providing multiple ways of doing things. Remember that modifiers can apply to any FG action (roll), like a roll on a table, so they are handy for doing quick modifiers to any roll without having to apply effects, or rolls where effects don't apply. the modifiers window is also handy for retro-respectively updating rolls - made an attack roll but forgot that you were +2 for that roll? Then put +2 in the modifier window and drag/drop the attack roll result - the +2 will be added to the original roll and the new result displayed. Modifiers are a very powerful feature in FG.

Varsuuk
December 28th, 2016, 19:55
... the modifiers window is also handy for retro-respectively updating rolls - made an attack roll but forgot that you were +2 for that roll? Then put +2 in the modifier window and drag/drop the attack roll result - the +2 will be added to the original roll and the new result displayed. Modifiers are a very powerful feature in FG.

Yeah, that's a pretty good feature.

1) there a way to unmask the map without it "real-timing" to players?

I ask because I am klutzy with unmask tool and sometimes go through walls etc.
I thought maybe Sync option was to set to auto-sync vs manual update sync but doesn't seem to be it.

2) I suspect I will see this if I rewatch the first Doug video (been a year) but I recall user movement "OKing" as an option, is that automated, like they can click-mark a path then you either "accept" it or not (and by "accept" I mean move it for them. tell them to go ahead, or possibly some automated FG move if you click on OK or something.

Trenloe
December 28th, 2016, 20:00
1) It's in real time. The best you can do is unshare the map, do the unmasking then re-share when you're ready.

2) https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Movement

LordEntrails
December 28th, 2016, 20:01
1) there a way to unmask the map without it "real-timing" to players?

I ask because I am klutzy with unmask tool and sometimes go through walls etc.
I thought maybe Sync option was to set to auto-sync vs manual update sync but doesn't seem to be it.

Nope. When in doubt, unmask less than you need to and then unmask small amounts of additional amounts. Also play with shift and ctrl, as they allow you to freehand and re-mask sections. So if you accidentally are unveiling too much your can instead change it to re-mask so you don't show something you didn't want to.

2) I suspect I will see this if I rewatch the first Doug video (been a year) but I recall user movement "OKing" as an option, is that automated, like they can click-mark a path then you either "accept" it or not (and by "accept" I mean move it for them. tell them to go ahead, or possibly some automated FG move if you click on OK or something.
There is a GM option to do this. Forget what it's called, but it should be obvious when you look through the options.

spite
December 28th, 2016, 20:43
It's not a GM option as such, but when tokens are on a map, right click any token and select "lock tokens"
When tokens are locked, when any player drags their character, it will make a pointer asking for a movement. The DM can accept this movement by either right-clicking and selecting "accept" or simply middle clicking on the token.

The DM can also do the set-up of movements by middle-click-dragging tokens (including NPC), as locking the tokens doesn't lock DM control, so left-click dragging will just move the tokens from the DM client.

Varsuuk
December 28th, 2016, 22:14
Yup, that one as I explained did not jump out at me as I was prejudiced to think it would be there on Options button instead.

Hey, one last thing before our combo 5e/FG training session in 18 mins ;) ---> I see NPC (e.g. Goblins) Traits and Actions on the CT if I click Sword... but all I see for PCs is React? Init/AC/Speed on theirs - did I enter the character sheet wrong or do I have to drag something (so far not getting it right if that's it) or ?

LordEntrails
December 28th, 2016, 22:24
Yup, that one as I explained did not jump out at me as I was prejudiced to think it would be there on Options button instead.

Hey, one last thing before our combo 5e/FG training session in 18 mins ;) ---> I see NPC (e.g. Goblins) Traits and Actions on the CT if I click Sword... but all I see for PCs is React? Init/AC/Speed on theirs - did I enter the character sheet wrong or do I have to drag something (so far not getting it right if that's it) or ?
GM does not get PC actions in the CT. Only the NPC actions show up on the CT (and only for the GM).