PDA

View Full Version : Players as Monster/players controlling Monster

Evion
December 27th, 2016, 12:50
so im very new at FG, but learning fast thanks to this awesome community, so my new question is for 5th edition, what can i do as a DM to give control of a monster to a player, like when they have an animal companion, or they charm a monster for hours, or just want to be a monster to play in game

damned
December 27th, 2016, 13:24
This one is nice and easy... drag its link (or its portrait?) on to the players portrait. They will be able to see all its stats and stuff but they will have to tell the GM how they want it to attack as the attacks are listed in the CT for NPCs rather than on the NPCSheet and only the GM sees the attacks there.

Andraax
December 27th, 2016, 13:54
Interesting. In the C&C ruleset, players can make attacks off an NPC sheet that they control... (I don't normally GM 5E, so I haven't tried that out there...)

Evion
December 27th, 2016, 14:20
ok i got that part, draging the npc/monster to the players pic to give them control, but is there a way to have a player make a monster for them to play as a PC and be able to add him to the party sheet, like one player wants to be a troll or an orc or maybe a snall dragon to start his adventure, is there an addon or something that would let him make a monster ?

damned
December 27th, 2016, 14:23
Interesting. In the C&C ruleset, players can make attacks off an NPC sheet that they control... (I don't normally GM 5E, so I haven't tried that out there...)

Its possible - Im going off memory... and Ive been wrong before :)

ok i got that part, draging the npc/monster to the players pic to give them control, but is there a way to have a player make a monster for them to play as a PC and be able to add him to the party sheet, like one player wants to be a troll or an orc or maybe a snall dragon to start his adventure, is there an addon or something that would let him make a monster ?

In this case its best to create the NPC as a PC using the PC sheets. Then the player can select both characters.

damned
December 27th, 2016, 14:32
On re-reading...
At the moment you can create new races and classes through Par5e which has a learning curve...
In 3.2.2 you wil be able to create new Races and Classes in-game and export them for later re-use.
For now... you can just manually enter the data in the appropriate fields. It will work but none of the pop-ups directing you to select skills/spells etc will work.

Nickademus
December 27th, 2016, 14:58
Attacks and spells should be listed in the NPC character sheet. The format is the normal text, but if a player hovers the mouse cursor over certain segments of text, they can click-drag-and-drog attack rolls, saving throws, effects, etc. from the NPC character sheet.

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2016, 18:23
Here's a picture to make it clearer.

Notice that When the Owl (which belongs to Bob) CTRL-clicks to target Goblin 3 the targeting information pops up in Bobs CT rather than the Owls one. Thus the owl can't attack via double clicking as usual (At least the player can't do it that way but the DM can). So the owk needs to drag /drop the attacks and damage as per the screenshot. Note that in some instances notably for spell effects the player isn't going to be able to do that and it's going to be down to the DM to do some things for the player controlled NPCs.

Andraax
December 27th, 2016, 18:36
Notice that When the Owl (which belongs to Bob) CTRL-clicks to target Goblin 3 the targeting information pops up in Bobs CT rather than the Owls one. Thus the owl can't attack via double clicking as usual (At least the player can't do it that way but the DM can).

If the player clicks on the NPC token first, then ctrl-clicks on the target, it will work properly.

Trenloe
December 27th, 2016, 18:44
Yep, as Andraax says, usual targeting (left-click to select CTRL+left-click to target) works for NPCs. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33248-Player-Control-of-NPCs

Targeting covered here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2016, 18:49
If the player clicks on the NPC token first, then ctrl-clicks on the target, it will work properly.

Yep, as Andraax says, usual targeting (left-click to select CTRL+left-click to target) works for NPCs. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33248-Player-Control-of-NPCs

Targeting covered here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting

See I knew it could be done but I couldn't remember how. that's another post I've bookmarked :)

Andraax
December 27th, 2016, 20:19
Basically, anything a player can do with a PC sheet can be done with an NPC sheet, it's just the NPC doesn't show up on the portraits in the upper left. I use them for player's familiars all the time.