PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob

DimeLes
December 27th, 2016, 07:23
Hi All...Rumor has it this is a really great forum, so I thank you for your patience. Been playing D&D a LONG time and really want to get into FG...And seeing the learning curve that others speak of. Now I'm watching videos of the how-tos, so I'm going to try that on my own. What I'm concerned about is accessing the couple of additional DLCs that I purchased via Steam (I purchased a base license, the Core Class Pack, and Volo's Guide). Shouldn't I 'see' some sort of reference when I go to create a new campaign and try to create characters/encounters? Steam tells me all DLC is installed, so I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated...Thanks in advance!

GunnarGreybeard
December 27th, 2016, 07:45
Once you load/create the campaign, make sure you activate the modules in your 'library' screen.

DimeLes
December 27th, 2016, 07:53
Wow...Thank you for the quick response!
Unfortunately, though, that's part of the problem...I go to my library/mod activation screen and I don't see anything to activate (other than what I believe are the default calendar, battle maps, etc).
It's like FG doesn't know I bought/installed those 2 addons. Am I missing something obvious here?
Thanks again!

GunnarGreybeard
December 27th, 2016, 08:00
I am not that familiar with Steam as all my stuff is installed from downloads but make sure that you have your username and password entered into the Settings screen. Then try running the 'Check for Updates'. It should download and install the modules in the correct location and then provide you with that new content in your Library > Modules screen inside the campaign itself.

damned
December 27th, 2016, 08:11
Welcoe DimeLes - yep you need to activate the modules that you want to use for that campaign or that session.
Library -> Modules -> drag the book open to activate the item in particular...

DimeLes
December 27th, 2016, 08:12
Huh...It took me a couple tries (and messing with some folder permissions...damn Windows 10), but I think I got it. The whole interface looks completely different now (actual D&D logo) and the extensions are showing up in the campaign creation screen.
Thank you so much!

damned
December 27th, 2016, 09:00
Ahhh cool - It looks like some other folks replied in between me reading and replying to you :)

DimeLes
December 27th, 2016, 09:25
The rumors are true...You guys are awesome!
Thanks for the help in such a quick fashion...I'm now trudging through and learning slowly but surely.
This will definitely take some getting used to!

damned
December 27th, 2016, 10:33
Dont feel like you need to know everything to get started? You probably havent read the PHB and DMG from cover to cover either. Get the combat tracket and combat working. Drag PC Portraits into Combat Tracker. Drag NPCs from list into Combat Tracker. Drag Tokens from Combat Tracker onto map. After that add things as you need them. If you dont have an effect setup or havent started on effects - use the modifier box etc.

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2016, 10:38
Hi DimeLes and welcome. If you haven't found them already check the first few posts in the forum thread for the ruleset that you are interested in (Castles and Crusades, Savage Worlds, 5e etc). Usually you'll find therin a number of sticky threads pointing to some useful resources that will help you get to grips with the software. And here's a link to the User Manual (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsUserManual.pdf) just in case you've missed it.