PDA

View Full Version : Quality of 5e Adventures by company

RCathcart
December 26th, 2016, 21:50
There are a few companies that have published Fantasy Grounds modu... err... adventures. Putting aside WotC, we have (in the Smiteworks store) a few companies that have published FG 5e compatible adventures:

1. AAW Games

2. 0one Games

3. Frog God Games

4. Nord Games

5. Sasquatch Games

6. Legendary Games

I'm going to buy adventures from a couple of different companies and check them out, but does anyone have any thoughts about how these companies' adventures work with FG? Do they keep their adventures updated with FG changes? Are they well set up to begin with? Do they have good maps/pics/descriptions? Do they utilized FG well?

My thinking is that some of these companies probably do a better job than others with their adventures. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Zhern
December 26th, 2016, 22:01
1. Frog God (grittier, usually more challenging, geared for a more old school style of play)
2. Legendary (go for anything by Richard Pett, Greg Vaughn or Alistair Rigg first)
3. Sasquatch (their Thule adventures are pretty good. They are more Sword & Sorcery than High Fantasy)

I can't comment on the rest as I don't have experience with them. The publishers don't convert their own materials to FG usually. There are a slew of freelancers that do, most who post on the forums here. The content is kept compatible with the latest FG version.

Seya
December 26th, 2016, 22:26
AaW has a couple amazing campaigns. Crowsrest is great. Legendary the one campaign I have on FG is really well done also. I haven't ran the frog one I have.

Nickademus
December 26th, 2016, 23:44
1. AAW Games
Good adventures, though the 5E conversion is a bit weird in places (give it a look over before running). The company is very active with FG and quick to address changes and problems with their content.

2. 0one Games
Good adventures with a lot of depth. I've not seen them have any presence in the FG community, so I don't know how they respond to problems or feedback.

3. Frog God Games
Great adventures with a huge stock and variety. They aren't as active as AAW, but they are quick to address issues.

4. Nord Games
I'm not familiar with this company. That means they don't have a strong presence here, but that could be because they don't need it. I'd have to look into their products.

5. Sasquatch Games
Good adventures with a great atmosphere. I haven't seen any problems with their content so I don't know how they act as a company. Primeval Thule is a popular choice though.

6. Legendary Games
Great adventures. Their Pathfinder content ties directly into the Paizo content (while still being useful for generic settings) to be of the most use. Their 5E content is less latched on but still well made. The company is very friendly and accommodating.

Gwydion
December 27th, 2016, 14:40
I really like AAW games. I agree that Crow's rest is awesome. I also liked crypt of the sun lord and am REALLY enjoying Alagoran's Gem which I am running now. That being said, for the older adventures like Alagoran's Gem, the maps are not always great. I did a lot of work in GIMP to take off secret doors and other effects in Alagoran's Gem as the players map showed everything. In fairness to them I think the newer adventures are now made for VTT whereas they weren't before. I also would say that Jonathan is very responsive to questions/requests.

I purchased the two nord games adventures. I like the concept that they have different encounter difficulties ready. It makes it a little more work as the encounters are not dropped in as you typically have three difficult options to choose from. I would also say these are geared toward younger players. I ran my kids (10 and 8) through both (still finishing one) and they really liked them.

Zhern
December 27th, 2016, 14:53
I'm going to have to check out some of the AAW adventures. Great to read that they are well put together.

Nickademus
December 27th, 2016, 15:12
AAW has three main adventure lines.

The A series are part of the AAW campaign setting and loosely tie together. (You can get a list on their site of the best order to run them in since production order doesn't work.)
The B series are stand-alone adventures by guest authors. The quality may fluctuate here, but the creativity and diversity will be improved.
The C series are old-school-delve-style adventures with a bit more grit and roughness.

There is also a Basic series for new GMs and their adventure paths. In addition to the A and C series, I would recommend the Rise of the Drow adventure path (including prologue and epilogue) as well as the Snow White mega-adventure (you can even get a player's guide under a different name so your players don't know they are playing an adventure loosely based on Snow White). They also have some really neat mini-dungeons for a single night's play.

Gwydion
December 27th, 2016, 15:14
I'd recommend testing AAW as they offer a free one-month subscription. That allows you to download two full-length adventures in fg module form. I believe the code is AAW1FREE

If you like it (which I did and kept the subscription) I believe it is $10/mo and you get two downloads/mo and all their web only adventures which you can't download, but you can use them to run an IRL game. Be careful when you look on their site as I got a little confused in the beginning as to the 5e v pathfinder and the pdf vs the fantasygrounds downloads. Just make sure you are downloading the fg module and not the pdf.

Again, Jonathan has been super responsive to me and I'm loving Alagoran's Gem. We are running session 2 on twitch today from noon - 4:00 pm MST. Can't wait!

Gwydion
December 27th, 2016, 15:18
AAW has three main adventure lines.

The A series are part of the AAW campaign setting and loosely tie together. (You can get a list on their site of the best order to run them in since production order doesn't work.)
The B series are stand-alone adventures by guest authors. The quality may fluctuate here, but the creativity and diversity will be improved.
The C series are old-school-delve-style adventures with a bit more grit and roughness.

There is also a Basic series for new GMs and their adventure paths. In addition to the A and C series, I would recommend the Rise of the Drow adventure path (including prologue and epilogue) as well as the Snow White mega-adventure (you can even get a player's guide under a different name so your players don't know they are playing an adventure loosely based on Snow White). They also have some really neat mini-dungeons for a single night's play.

Hey Nickademus. Have they now converted Rise of the Drow adventure path and Snow White to 5e? I would be really excited about that as I thought it was for Pathfinder only right now but I heard from Jonathan they were starting to work on converting it. I might be confusing myself as that has definitely happened before! Let me know as I would be very interested in the 5e modules.

RCathcart
December 27th, 2016, 16:45
This is great information. Thanks guys.

I'll be curious as to which companies update their existing adventures as FG changes as well.

Also, just to throw this out there, I really like having both the PDF (or book) along with the FG version. It ends up costing me more (like I have several WotC adventures in both forms), but it is really invaluable to me in terms of reviewing and understanding a modu.... *cough* adventure. So whichever company figures out that having a package deal on PDF/FG adventures would be ideal, they will have my full attention and likely my business.

Zhern
December 27th, 2016, 16:46
Interesting! I like that they offer a subscription - I'm a fan of that kind of thing. Looking at their site, it doesn't look like Snow White has been converted to 5e. That would definitely be something I would be interested in running as I think my players would like something like that. I have a great group that enjoys mixing it up and given that the story of Snow White is really dark when you peel back the layers, this might fit the bill.

Nickademus
December 27th, 2016, 16:47
Hey Nickademus. Have they now converted Rise of the Drow adventure path and Snow White to 5e? I would be really excited about that as I thought it was for Pathfinder only right now but I heard from Jonathan they were starting to work on converting it. I might be confusing myself as that has definitely happened before! Let me know as I would be very interested in the 5e modules.

I doubt it. They were looking for freelancers to convert these when last I checked. Though I just prefer to convert my own material so I didn't think about what ruleset they were.

Gwydion
December 27th, 2016, 16:49
I doubt it. They were looking for freelancers to convert these when last I checked. Though I just prefer to convert my own material so I didn't think about what ruleset they were.

Got it and makes sense. Yeah, I actually did the Dark Days in Stoneholme conversion for them to 5e. I usually convert my own as well.

Nylanfs
December 27th, 2016, 17:15
I really like AAW games. I agree that Crow's rest is awesome. I also liked crypt of the sun lord and am REALLY enjoying Alagoran's Gem which I am running now. That being said, for the older adventures like Alagoran's Gem, the maps are not always great. I did a lot of work in GIMP to take off secret doors and other effects in Alagoran's Gem as the players map showed everything. In fairness to them I think the newer adventures are now made for VTT whereas they weren't before. I also would say that Jonathan is very responsive to questions/requests.

I purchased the two nord games adventures. I like the concept that they have different encounter difficulties ready. It makes it a little more work as the encounters are not dropped in as you typically have three difficult options to choose from. I would also say these are geared toward younger players. I ran my kids (10 and 8) through both (still finishing one) and they really liked them.

Perhaps you should get with Jonathan and see if they want to incorporate your player maps into the distro?

Gwydion
December 27th, 2016, 17:45
Perhaps you should get with Jonathan and see if they want to incorporate your player maps into the distro?

Yep. I sent it to him a week or so ago and told him to feel free to include it in the mod if he liked what I did. Just not sure if he's had time to include it and I can't distribute it on its own. Hopefully he adds it soon!