PDA

View Full Version : Grid sizing

Mirkeeper
December 26th, 2016, 21:02
Sorry if the question had been raised before (quick search id not provide an answer I was looking for), or if I am asking something completely shattering the underlying principles of a D&D 5e system...

Trying to see if there is any functionality to 'tell' the system what the 'actual' size of the grid used in the combat map is. I really like the ability to look at the distance on the map and decide whether a ranged attack is possible. A map I have already has the drawn grid at 10 ft a side. I have easily layered the FG grid on top of it with the same side, but now my calculated distances are half what the map legend says. It appears to me that by default it assumes that the square grid has a side of 5 feet.

I have worked around it by reducing my layered grid in half, but was wondering if there was an easier way to go around...

Andraax
December 26th, 2016, 21:31
You can create / load an extension that changes the default size for a unit in the grid. But that will affect everything - tokens will double in size, etc (a human would take up one square of 10x10, for example).

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2016, 22:46
The FG grid is sized to 5' and usually to 50px. If you already have a grid on your map which is baked in (i.e you can't remove it from the original map) then just draw the grid at half the size. In other words for a 10' grid on the map draw a FG grid so that each square on the map contains 4 FG squares. This will retain your distances etc.

For this reason it's best not to use maps with grids drawn on them, if at all possible becasue you can then draw whatever grid size you want on it and it'll be the only grid.

Mirkeeper
December 27th, 2016, 00:23
Andraax, Zacchaeus: thanks for answers. I eventually ended up drawing the grid half the size of the one already incorporated in the picture. Not the best way, but it worked pretty well in the end.

damned
December 27th, 2016, 08:34
Hi Mirleeper that actually is the best way :)
FG is always 5' unless the ruleset or an extension specifies something else. So always create your grid to be 5' regardless of any markings already on the map.
It doesnt matter if its exactly 50px or is 22 or its 37 or any other number. Set the grid for 5' squares and then all your ranging and targeting will work :)

Mirkeeper
December 27th, 2016, 15:50
damned, thanks for your input as well, as always..