PDA

View Full Version : Rams Question about the rams...

vainazzo
December 26th, 2016, 04:36
I need guidance... I'm thinking about upgrading the ram in my laptop... Yes I use a laptop. right now I have 8 with a single sodimm and I was thinking 4 or 8 more gigs would be nice... But I'm a cheapskate... Here is my specs....
HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad
Intel i7-4700mq 2.4GHz
8 gigs of ram
1 TB hybrid drive... 8GB of SSD memory
Nvidia Geforce 840M 2 gigs of memory...
Now here is the thing about the only game I've been playing lately is minecraft and using it for fantasy grounds (which is where I would think I would get my best boost from.)
should I go and get the 4 gigs or take call my spending money and get the 8 gigs?

spite
December 26th, 2016, 05:23
Fantasy Grounds wont see any use from ram above 2.5gb and change, as it's a 32bit application.

Moon Wizard
December 26th, 2016, 05:33
Depending on the OS version, FG can use 2GB for 32-bit OS and 4GB for 64-bit OS. That also includes needed OS libraries being loaded, which realistically translates into ~1.7GB and ~3.5GB, respectively.

Cheers,
JPG

vainazzo
December 26th, 2016, 05:55
Depending on the OS version, FG can use 2GB for 32-bit OS and 4GB for 64-bit OS. That also includes needed OS libraries being loaded, which realistically translates into ~1.7GB and ~3.5GB, respectively.

Cheers,
JPG

So any more ram would not help it? I'm running windows 10 64 bit

viresanimi
December 26th, 2016, 06:17
That' right. This probably because the core program itself is pretty old by now. This is also one of the reasons why Smiteworks has been working hard on a new Unity version for quite some time now. It needs upgrading to modern standards of performance.

No need to rush then.

Vires Animi

vainazzo
December 26th, 2016, 06:32
That' right. This probably because the core program itself is pretty old by now. This is also one of the reasons why Smiteworks has been working hard on a new Unity version for quite some time now. It needs upgrading to modern standards of performance.

No need to rush then.

Vires Animi

Well more ram probably wouldn't hurt and it would top out my system memory for this mainboard. It would help with Syrinscape running as well.

LindseyFan
December 26th, 2016, 06:46
Just wondering, but wouldn't more ram give room for all the extra junk running, and thereby leave more for FG to reach its max? Like say if you have Skype and other junk running on 4gb, 64bit FG will never reach its potential because some ram is hogged. But on an 8gb, FG could get its max 3.5ish and there is plenty of room for the other apps, right? Or am I somehow wrong in my thinking about computers? I don't want to ask the bf because we are having an angry Xmas and he is usually wrong about half this tech stuff anyway! Lol

vainazzo
December 26th, 2016, 14:43
Just wondering, but wouldn't more ram give room for all the extra junk running, and thereby leave more for FG to reach its max? Like say if you have Skype and other junk running on 4gb, 64bit FG will never reach its potential because some ram is hogged. But on an 8gb, FG could get its max 3.5ish and there is plenty of room for the other apps, right? Or am I somehow wrong in my thinking about computers? I don't want to ask the bf because we are having an angry Xmas and he is usually wrong about half this tech stuff anyway! Lol

That's what I'm thinking. I ordered it last night :D

Bidmaron
December 26th, 2016, 15:33
I think you are right. Any time you can reduce the need to page memory out to disk when other applications switch into activity in a thread you are money-in-the-bank. If you have an SSD where paging occurs, this is less of a factor, but even SSDs are slow compared to RAM.

LordEntrails
December 26th, 2016, 17:50
Yes, more RAM will help if you are running other applications and the total (all applications and o/s) is exceeding your installed memory. You can test this by opening your Task Manager and looking at your Performance tab. Attached is what it looks like in Win 7.

When you exceed your installed RAM, your computer will start using a Page File and do what is called Swapping. This is where it will use part of your hard disk like it was RAM. This is really slow and causes performance problems. But, of course it allows you to keep going, albeit, just not as fast as before.