PDA

View Full Version : Signup for games

Jcmcgough
December 25th, 2016, 23:50
I'm looking to join AL games. As I understand it, we should mostly be looking for games on alonlinetools, right?

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2016, 13:16
I'm looking to join AL games. As I understand it, we should mostly be looking for games on alonlinetools, right?

After searching through a number of threads looking for an answer for you, it would appear that yes, games are announced in that place.

Myrdin Potter
December 26th, 2016, 15:09
Technically you could just advertise your game here or on Facebook or wherever you wanted to, but most GMs use the Alonline site.

Couvs
January 8th, 2017, 01:40
I personally find that if you're looking to play the DDAL modules online, ALOnlineTools is only really helpful for finding quests of the week. just about everything else is continuations of various hardcover campaign sessions. I'd love to continue through the season 5 tier 1 modules on my Ranger, or do some of the tier 2 on my rogue or druid, but all I'm finding outside of the hardcovers for season 5 is whatever is the quest of the week (many recently have been older seasons and this week and next week are both tier 3; sadly I don't have a character that high yet)

lordjeb
January 9th, 2017, 20:34
I've been noticing the same thing. There seem to be more of the non-hardcover modules running on Roll20, but I prefer FG!

Couvs
January 9th, 2017, 22:04
I prefer FG too. But as far as online AL games go, theres only hardcover and quests of the week. I'm currently DMing SKT foran AL table and lately the Qotw has either been for a much older season (would rather play s5) or in the case if these first 2 weeks of Jan, they're for tier 3 modules and I sadly don't have a t3 character

daggerfortysix
January 10th, 2017, 23:38
Hi All - I'm planning to run Adventurers League expeditions using FantasyGrounds and would like to run an entire season like DDEX1-1 thought DDEX 1-14. But, I'd like to know if there was any particular season anyone would want to play. I am pretty much prepared to run any of them. My schedule is a bit irregular so running Expeditions seems like the best way to go for me. I do intend to use AlOnlineTools.com.

Jcmcgough
January 11th, 2017, 04:41
Dagger, I would very likely be interested if our schedules work together. I think your idea of running a full season sounds great. I personally would prefer not doing that with season 4, but only because that's the only season that I've played all the adventures.

lordjeb
January 11th, 2017, 16:21
Dagger, I too would be interested - and am in Mountain Time as well, so hopefully the timing would work. Any season would be good for me. I have played one or two in S1, 2, and 3.

hawkwind
February 12th, 2017, 09:31
I'm planning to run a few season 5 games on a irregular basis and will be announcing them here as well as Alonline.in my first game most of the players found the game here rather than using ALonline. IMHO there are lot of new players wanting to play 5e who are not signed up on ALonline and are not even aware of it.

Logan-05
February 12th, 2017, 20:56
Hawkwind, I'd be very interested in joining at some point. I tried my first two AL sessions this past week, and they were great fun. Top marks to LindseyFan as our DM. I'll keep my eyes open for your games. Cheers!

LindseyFan
February 16th, 2017, 07:37
Ahhhh, thanks Logan, you are always too sweet!

On the debate of where to advertise. There are pros and cons, but you will get your players one way or the other. I chose the FG forums to advertise my recent AL games because I wanted to scoop up a bunch of new members who were eager to try FG and were looking for something campaign like (it's AL) but still wouldn't be locked to a group if they didn't like it. The pros I could have achieved with AL tools website would have been more exposure for the premium VTT solution.

So I guess either way it's a good thing, you really can't go wrong as far as getting players. I ended up with a total of more than 20 new players across a week of gaming + many regulars. And I have a niche format (text) that's not as attractive as some of you all's fancy-pants setups!

As long as you give a week notice, you should have a full roster by game time. And you might even get lucky and get those really nice players. I'm looking at you Logan-05!

Logan-05
February 16th, 2017, 10:12
Hey, I'm happy to show up, dragging my 3rd level bard behind me! I'll keep my eyes open for your campaign postings, Hawkwind!

Fazakerley
February 16th, 2017, 10:45
I wasn't sure about the text only thing, but I ended up really enjoying it. I'm thinking of trying it myself! I played in 3 of LindseyFan's games and we were lucky to have a core of players (I'm looking at you Logan-05) running through all of them which added to the RP fun. I've only ever played Adventure League in 3rd edition a long time ago and that seemed more like a strategy board game than an RPG. The text only option seems to cut down on metagaming and (possibly unwanted) advice giving for newer players.

I'd definitely recommend LindseyFan's games for anyone wanting to get into Adventure League. I've even DMed a couple of sessions myself now.

I'd be up for joining any game really, with Logan or without!

Trenloe
February 16th, 2017, 14:33
The pros I could have achieved with AL tools website would have been more exposure for the premium VTT solution.
Just as a word of caution (if you didn't know this already) is that the AL tools website game signup process seems to be that games get massively oversubscribed by players, but the majority of those players don't turn up for the game. So even if a player signed up as number 20, they'd still get a good chance of playing in that game. That isn't the process in the FG forum community at all - we had some issues at the last FG con with new players signing up for events thinking it would be the same as the AL tools online community process and just not turning up without letting the GM know. Not acceptable in our little communities eyes (happens occasionally), but seems to be the norm on AL tools online. I don't know if this has changed, but just to let you know in case you weren't aware.

Sounds like you all had a great time in your recent little bout of AL madness - nice one! :)

Logan-05
February 17th, 2017, 10:14
Edit

Logan-05
February 17th, 2017, 10:18
Hey, I'm in. If the timing of Hawkwind's gaming session works for you, come join. We'll need that elven wizard voodoo you do.

I wasn't sure about the text only thing, but I ended up really enjoying it. I'm thinking of trying it myself! I played in 3 of LindseyFan's games and we were lucky to have a core of players (I'm looking at you Logan-05) running through all of them which added to the RP fun. I've only ever played Adventure League in 3rd edition a long time ago and that seemed more like a strategy board game than an RPG. The text only option seems to cut down on metagaming and (possibly unwanted) advice giving for newer players.

I'd definitely recommend LindseyFan's games for anyone wanting to get into Adventure League. I've even DMed a couple of sessions myself now.

I'd be up for joining any game really, with Logan or without!

Teufelhunde87
February 22nd, 2017, 21:28
And "T" takes the DM plunge tonight! Logan , Lindseyfan, and several others got me all fired up. I have at least 2 new FG players, and can't wait to run this game. I had a prelim character buils and practice session with some new folks yesterday that went great, so I'm sure tonights game will. Now , not to hijack this thread, I created games in the FG calendar and on the Al site, and both overfilled without me advertising! So if you start a thread, you should definitely get responses. Just make sure you communicate with players, (easier in this forum than the AL site IMO)and let the alternates know where they stand as thing shape up.

Logan-05
February 22nd, 2017, 21:53
Hey Man, you'll be awesome. Enjoy yourself tonight! We'll need a full report later over a virtual beer on how you think things went. :)