PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding and the Unity Build.

DM Khalid
December 24th, 2016, 20:57
Forgive me if this is considered an obvious question but is port forwarding still going to be required for DMing in FG Unity? I can't seem to find any real list of promised/confirmed features anywhere. For reasons I will not get into this is currently stopping me from using this VTT as I am unable to port forward the routers my laptop is generally connected to. From what I have read it has been discussed before but there is no real promises for any content that I can find, and the release date is beginning to remind me of Duke Nukem Forever. Should I just resign myself to using Roll20 for the indeterminate amount of time until Unity details come out?

For the record I have already purchased Fantasy Grounds on steam as well as some core content. I have fooled around with it for a dozen hours or so and very much enjoy it. I just find it unfortunate I can't actually use the things I have bought to DM. Again if this has already been confirmed somewhere I apologize.

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2016, 21:10
There is no list of confirmed features for Unity as yet. However there are many ways to use the current software via VPNs if for whatever reason port forwarding doesn't work. There are several threads in the House of Healing forum on the subject and you'll also find information in the FAQ.

And welcome to FG and to the community.

DM Khalid
December 24th, 2016, 21:15
Oh thank you, I didn't realize this. I appreciate that there is a large amount of work to be done by a not so large team, so I hope that anyone reading does not take offence to my comparison of the unity build to Duke Nukem Forever.

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2016, 21:20
Nope, it's Christmas so no-one will take offence!

Show up with a similar statement in a day or to however it will be a different story :D

Seriously if you need help getting connected post your problem here and someone will be able help.

(once everyone has sobered up of course ��)

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2016, 21:31
Believe me, I agree with that sentiment. The reality is that many features originally slated for Unity have been brought forward into v3.1 and v3.2, while we work on the core systems in the background. We made a decision to not let the software remain static while building the Unity version, but to improve both as we go.

On the networking side, we are still finalizing the network features, and libraries; but we're looking at doing something that will allow you to connect to a GM by their forum alias and see lists of public games by alias as well. This requires a separate server to facilitate connections, so we plan to still support the current "connect to IP address" functionality as a fall back.

Regards,
JPG

DM Khalid
December 24th, 2016, 21:59
That's great to hear. I'm glad that you looking into the creation of a "games browser" as I am sure that would improve many peoples experience when looking for a group.

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2016, 22:17
Looking for Group functionality is very different for role-playing games, so that will need to be a separate capability. There's not really very many "pick-up" games in RPGs.

Cheers,
JPG