PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Advice

zealdib
December 24th, 2016, 17:49
Hi All

I am very new to Fantasy Grounds and am seriously considering purchasing what looks to be a great product. However I have a few questions first.

If three of my players and I purchase the standard license then I will be able to host a game. Correct?

If I then purchase the Players Handbook, do my players have access to that? Or do they need to also purchase it?

Trenloe
December 24th, 2016, 17:56
Welcome Zeal'Dib.

If everyone playing has a standard license then you can be GM (and any others could also GM a game).

Players have access to products the GM owns and chooses to share with the players (simple case of allowing access in the campaign). Each player doesn't need to buy the PHB if the GM owns the PHB, they will have access to it when they are connected to the GMs game (campaign). the players won't have access when not connected.

zealdib
December 24th, 2016, 17:59
Thanks Trenloe!

I have already come across your name on several occasions when exploring FG so I appreciate that such a big name is willing to take the time to reply to such a greenhorn as myself.

Cheers!

Bidmaron
December 24th, 2016, 18:48
Trenloe is definitely one of the greats here, Zeal. You will find that even the biggest names here will take the time to help folks. While it is a cliche that support is the best in a lot of places (Realmworks, ProFantasy, e.g.), I think this is the place that is the best.

vodokar
December 24th, 2016, 19:05
It's the friendliest place on the internet. Welcome Zeal'Dib and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Nothing compares to what Fantasy Grounds offers. Not in features, support for games, and especially not in the community of people here; that is what makes it the most special.

zealdib
December 24th, 2016, 20:15
Thanks Vodokar and Bidmaron.

Merry Christmas to you both.

It definitely seems like a great community with such warm welcomes from the likes of you two.

dulux-oz
December 25th, 2016, 00:41
Hi Zeal, and Welcome! to the Community,

Let me add the following (which may help you decide to "take the plunge":) ) - If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

seycyrus
May 3rd, 2017, 11:46
Hi, I am new to fantasy grounds can you please explain me about license. I have a good collection of games like division and recently my uncle gifted me new game World of Warcraft 60 tage which he bought from Instant-gaming. I never face any problem in other games. Can you please help me?

albertanderson,

Greetings and welcome to the community. From your post it isn't clear what problems you are having. You realize that Fantasy Grounds is virtual table-top that lets you play DnD and other role playing games with other people over the internet, right? Sort of like you are sitting around a table, chatting and rolling dice ... The reason I ask is that I'm not sure why you are mentioning World of Warcraft.