PDA

View Full Version : Level 20 one-shot

Diomitus
December 24th, 2016, 06:27
How come they're are no level 20 oneshots?
Isn't that why we all play? To get up to level 20 and get that capstone ability?

I'd love to see a one shot of 8 wizards (one from each school of magic) going up against something crazy like the demons in the OotA mod, or a strike team of all the different Rogue archetypes, it even just getting those 4 attacks, action surge, 4 attacks as a fighter.

What are your thoughts on this lack of high level one shots?
Are there so few to prevent the game from slowing down? Or is it just too time consuming to get a 20th level character rolled up? Or is it that some players want to grow through the levels?

j624
December 24th, 2016, 19:58
I'm not sure this is the right place for a discussion thread, but I will say the first time I played a cleric was when I joined a 4e campaign at 7th level. It's difficult to fully comprehend all the abilities you have when you get them all at once, not to mention all the bonuses you may have from magic items. There was a thread a while ago for a level 20 one-shot, but that game hasn't happened yet. I would like to try a level 20 one-shot, but it would take a lot of work for each character to get them up to level 20, especially if you're going to try to add any magic items they may have come across, which is part of the fun of being level 20 as well. Also, the DM has to find a good way to challenge the characters who are technically level 20, but don't know all of their abilities, don't know how to use their abilities most effectively, and don't know how to work together, all of which a "natural" level 20 character/player would know how to do. It's a lot of work for the players and a difficult challenge for a DM.

Diomitus
December 25th, 2016, 01:48
I definitely agree that coming up through the levels really let's you learn your character and their capabilities.
I've built so many level 20 characters in my free time that I've learned a good amount of what they could do. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do that.
Even if it's just for fun, like a "danger room" scenario where the DM says "bring your character ready to fight an unknown threat" and you build your best character. If I were the DM I'd give out a few 17+ treasure hoards so the players have some good stuff to work with in the session.
I think it can be done.

ArteF
December 25th, 2016, 02:00
Eh, a lot of games tend to get stuck between 1 shot and campaigns. FGCon has a lot of really interesting stuff if you're going to give it a go. However level 20 1 shots are weird to go at... typically it's possible but it wouldn't be like a 6th or 10th level 1 shot...

What I mean is that by 20th level the adventure is pretty much over technically, in campaigns at that level most players are spending more time doing social, master minding, research and/or preparation.

Events that do happen that pull a 20th level "adventure" would be something that puts the planes themselves at risk and they act as champions of some great power.

So what this means is that 20th level means more over a series of games than you would get out of a 1 shot... the 1 shot would be more like a Cr test of 20th level... just my 2 cents... I'm certain there is some entertainment to be had either way though.

Diomitus
December 25th, 2016, 02:03
I see what you're saying about it being a CR test.
Would it make more sense being a "micro-adventure"?

ArteF
December 25th, 2016, 02:42
I guess a rejoin session with off-screen progression described by the players may work I guess. It's just that a lot of things go wonky. For example a player wont really need any legendary gear, boons are nice I guess. There are loads of plots that could work though so I don't out right see why it wouldn't work.

keeperofsouls
January 4th, 2017, 19:22
So first off most character never make it to level 20. They generally retire die or just grow to old. Even so it would be interesting to see just how much I would need to create a TPK every time with such numbers with about 10% survival rate.

Anyways if you want it DO IT!! yea!
A lot of players out there just a small step to becoming a DM.

ArteF
January 4th, 2017, 21:41
Eh, DMing is always better when your not DMing other DMs imo.

The game flows a lot better, so some players should just enjoy being players, makes the games easier on DMs.

keeperofsouls
January 5th, 2017, 05:11
Eh, DMing is always better when your not DMing other DMs imo.

The game flows a lot better, so some players should just enjoy being players, makes the games easier on DMs.

My experience has been opposite. The best DM I know (besides me hahah (wink)(wink)(wink)) is also one the one of best players I know. Love DMing for him. The other dms I have DMed for never even thought about them in that way they where just another playing in my game and we had a great time.