PDA

View Full Version : Expected items

Jcmcgough
December 24th, 2016, 01:32
I'm looking to be a player for online games (also hoping to start running). As such, are there expected modules/packs to use/own?

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2016, 01:42
Only the GM needs to own the rulesets/modules that they want to share for their campaign, so you don't need any modules unless you plan to build characters without being connected to a GM.

Regards,
JPG

damned
December 24th, 2016, 02:00
Welcome Jcmcgough the world needs more GMs - be open to the possibilities!
Have a read of some of these posts:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

Kanbie
December 24th, 2016, 19:43
Playing DnD on FG? perhaps just the standard license; if your going to run Adventures League games? a Player's Hand Book (complete core classes) and any of the modules (weekly expeditions) that you wish to run. Adventurer's League has some useful resources on the wizards of the coast site. Also make sure any player's you host have DCI numbers, you need those when you log any player's progress.

LindseyFan
December 24th, 2016, 20:01
Welcome to the crazy world of FG! You' might as well call it Barovia, for how stuck you are here now!

There are so many tips on what to buy first as a newbie, so let me throw one more at you. If you love even one table top RPGs (D&D, PF, SW, etc) go ahead and get your standard license now while there is a sale. The great thing about FG is that you really don't need to buy anything to be just a player - everything else purchasable for players is convenience (very convenient!). The standard license is a keystone to most everything else from that convenience to more eligibility for games, and to even DMing some groups (if the other players have licenses). So get that standard license right now, because it is on sale and is the only thing you will kick yourself for not getting at a discount. I echo everyone else's tips on what to get started with (especially handbooks), but let your budget decide.

Jcmcgough
December 25th, 2016, 23:33
Thanks for the encouragement and info. Yeah I went ahead and bought a standard license...before it went on sale. BUT I got the Player part with the discount, so I'll take that. I enjoy PFS, too, but...wow does that look a LOT harder to get set up!

Hope to see you all in-game!

damned
December 25th, 2016, 23:40
Woohoo!