PDA

View Full Version : Subscription/License and GM Question

Narook
December 23rd, 2016, 19:31
Hello. My friends and I have been looking at Fantasy Grounds for over a year now, just none of us have really been in a position, cash wise, to actually pick it up. That is about to change for me, however I am not one of the GMs in the group, in fact I really suck at it if we are being brutally honest.

So my question is am I am able to pick up a Subscription or License and the modules we want, but have one of the other players GM it or does the person that pay for it have to be the one doing the GMing?

Thank you for taking your time in reading this. Unfortunately I am sure this question has been asked a few times, but I tried a couple of different google searches and did not find the answer. My wording probably off. So I figured it would just be easier to ask. Thanks.

ddavison
December 23rd, 2016, 20:00
The account would need to be set up for the DM. The DM can then share the assets to players when they connect. Since we use PayPal, you could gift the DM the money and they can check out from here. The downside, of course, is that it then belongs to them if the group were to disband.

Zacchaeus
December 23rd, 2016, 20:07
Hi Narook, welcome.

in order to run a game you either need an ultimate or standard license. If you have only a standard license then the other players also need a standard license. With an ultimate license players. An join with only a demo license. So, if you buy the license you will need to run the game since the license cannot be transferred.

There is a subscription option which allows for the purchase of an ultimate license for a small monthly cost rather than a larger up front fee.

Another consideration is the purchase of game material such as player's handbook, monster manuals and adventures. These need to be owned by who is DMing the game. You cannot share these resources either unless you are the DM.

Narook
December 23rd, 2016, 20:19
The account would need to be set up for the DM. The DM can then share the assets to players when they connect. Since we use PayPal, you could gift the DM the money and they can check out from here. The downside, of course, is that it then belongs to them if the group were to disband.

Thanks for the quick reply. That is a pretty big downside, given the fact that I'd be the one paying for it all. Plus we don't just have just one DM in the group, 2 of the players swap back and forth to help keep it fresh. I have not finished going through the TOS just yet, slowly getting there, but I am getting a community DM account shared between our DMs is against the TOS as well?

Zacchaeus
December 23rd, 2016, 20:32
Thanks for the quick reply. That is a pretty big downside, given the fact that I'd be the one paying for it all. Plus we don't just have just one DM in the group, 2 of the players swap back and forth to help keep it fresh. I have not finished going through the TOS just yet, slowly getting there, but I am getting a community DM account shared between our DMs is against the TOS as well?

You can take out a subscription, and after you have finished DMing the other guy takes out a subscription and you cancel yours. But no you can't share a license.

Nylanfs
December 23rd, 2016, 20:38
You can swap the campaign between them, that is stored on your local gm's machine. But the seperate GM'S would probably want to have the phb, and mm at least.

Note though you don't NEED the books, each license comes with the info in the SRD which is a large portion of the books.

Nylanfs
December 23rd, 2016, 20:54
Double poat

Narook
December 23rd, 2016, 21:04
I know some of our players will want some of the extra books, anything to make my life difficulty, heh. Maybe I can talk them out of it or I will have to find another option. Thank you all for the quick replies and help answers, I appreciate it.

damned
December 23rd, 2016, 21:58
Hi Narook read this excellent post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e
And these too when you get time - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

To keep costs down this is what I would do -

Either buy a $10/month Sub for the GM and cancel it and switch to the new GM when its time to switch GMs.
Start with just the SRD material.
If you go with something like the Lost Mines of Phandelver have all the other players tip in the $5 to buy it for the GM. It has pre-gens in it. Use them.
That will give you a couple of months of gaming straight away - a good adventure prepped well for both Players and GMs.

damned
December 23rd, 2016, 22:00
I know some of our players will want some of the extra books, anything to make my life difficulty, heh. Maybe I can talk them out of it or I will have to find another option. Thank you all for the quick replies and help answers, I appreciate it.

Lots of people want things they cant pay for. Tell them the way it is - if they want to add the extras in they can 100% add them in manually. Its just a little more bookkeeping - for them. :)
Give the $10 sub a try and get started. And honestly they should be able to give up a single beer or coffer once a month to help cover costs. Have fun!

Asterionaisien
December 23rd, 2016, 22:01
On steam you can get four standard licenses at a discount price
https://store.steampowered.com/app/252690/

That way everyone can bč a DM without problems