PDA

View Full Version : LFG 1 Player evening, Fri, Sat, Sun, PST D&D 3.5 Gestalt or Rifts

MeKonopa
December 23rd, 2016, 05:58
FG License: I have the paid version
Time Zone: PST
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: I'd like a weekly game on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. On Friday and Saturday I'd only be available in the evenings, around 6pm and after, but on Sunday pretty much all day would work for me.
Term: Long term is preferable, but I'll take any game.
Voice: Preferably voice chat. I've got skype, but can download others if necessary.

Game System Preferred: A 3.5 gestalt game would be awesome, and I'd love to play a Rifts game.
Game System Experience: I've played a lot of 3.5 a while ago, a lot of 5e lately, but I've played only a bare couple of sessions (where not much happened) of Rifts, and GMed a few.
Fantasy Grounds Experience: A couple of hours, really.
Character Type Preferred: For 3.5 gestalt, I've been dying to play an uber Jack of All Trades. For Rifts, I tend to come up with interesting ideas that will need GM approval.
About me: I prefer games with an even balance between combat and role-playing, and typically design characters as such. For the combat, I do like to aim for power gaming, but I keep it within the character concept first. If there's a super powerful move and I can't come up with a reason for the character to take it, within character, then I don't take it.

Please? I've been trying to get into a gestalt or a Rifts game, and they never get off the ground. It's almost like I'm cursed.

High Pitch
December 23rd, 2016, 17:09
Hi MeK. I have experience DMing Rifts and 1eDnD. What kind of gestalt character would you like to play?

MeKonopa
December 23rd, 2016, 22:04
I'm afraid I've never played 1eD&D, so I have no idea if what classes I want to put into the character are available. But, as for the uber jack of all trades, it'd start with ranger/dragon shaman, and prestige into stalwart defender(non wizards of the coast supplement)/chameleon. Once the character hits epic levels, there are more classes but for the first twenty levels that's the basic layout.

High Pitch
December 23rd, 2016, 23:18
I see. Sounds like a build heavy on fighting capability, but the chameleon and dragon shaman give you some special abilities and spells.
Is the stalwart defender more Pathfinder than WOTC 3.5?
I like the modules of 1E D&D, I don't think converting to 3.5E will be TOO difficult, there might even be resources out there to make it easier.
What about Rifts? I remember there being hundreds of classes in that game, new ones with every book...

damned
December 23rd, 2016, 23:53
maybe a one shot in the meantime? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35703-D-amp-D-5e-One-Shot-Mini-Dungeon-9-pm-EST

MeKonopa
December 23rd, 2016, 23:59
Stalwart Defender is a prestige class I found in the 3e suppliment Mercenaries from AEG. It's pretty much the tankiest class I've ever found (add wis mod to HP alongside con, hd will always be a d12, and later on always maxed upon level up, a few other things).

As for Rifts, whoo boy. While hundreds of classes may be a bit of an exaggeration, if you include combinations (R.C.C.'s and O.C.C.'s) then you're pretty damn close, especially if you bend some of the rules that I've found actual contradictions of in other books. Still, straight from the books I've drawn up a demi-god with the zapper (lightning psychic) who's got the temporal warrior O.C.C, there's a neo-human tattooed man... Basically, still heavy combatants but with more options. Still, I do love the idea of the cyber-knight.

High Pitch
December 24th, 2016, 01:50
All right. I guess 3/3.5E is basically the same as d20 (mercenaries is a d20 supplement?). Even if stalwart defender is unbalanced, gestalt characters in general are unbalanced, but that's probably not such a bad thing if you're playing solo.
The cyber-knight is always a good standby, and tattooed men are cool. Rifts has a lot of interesting classes. I think it was the abundance of OCC's that I found repetitive, there were like ten new OCC's with every new book, most of them seemed to differ only in skills.

PM'ed you damned...

MeKonopa
December 24th, 2016, 02:12
??? Playing solo? I'm looking for a group though...

High Pitch
December 24th, 2016, 03:15
Yes, of course a group is best, but in those cases when players drop out or don't show up, you might have to go solo. Not sure how that would work out in a campaign: do the other party members become npc's or henchmen, or is there some in game storyline to explain their absence? Etc.

MeKonopa
December 24th, 2016, 03:23
Ah.

MeKonopa
December 24th, 2016, 22:26
Out of curiosity, what O.C.C.'s, R.C.C.'s, and converted games (Hero's Unlimited & Nightbane, for instance) would you allow (or since it'd probably be a shorter list, disallow)?

High Pitch
December 26th, 2016, 18:08
I think everything's negotiable, within reason. I'm not opposed to power gaming or munchkin gaming, whatever you call it. Plus there's plenty of high powered opponents in Rifts to make a challenge for even the most powerful character.

MeKonopa
December 27th, 2016, 00:14
...What're your thoughts on a Achilles Neo-Human (South America 2) with an O.C.C. of the Knight of Kamnos, order of the blade (Rifter 1)? Basically, insane psionic powers with a side order of super powers. Doesn't get much more power gaming (unless you're open to the immortal human mega-hero template and some multiclassing into a tatooed human/undead hunter). I can even come up with a pretty good background for him, if you want.

High Pitch
December 27th, 2016, 15:58
I had to look up those classes; even though I have the books, it's been a while since I went through them.
Back when I played these games, the characters just chose one RCC or OCC as their class, not both. But I guess having an RCC and an OCC is like having a gestalt character in DnD, so we can work with that.
I guess having an Achilles Neo Human (a psionic who can convert their SDC to MDC through expenditure of ISP) and a Knight of Kamnos (2 super powers from the heroes unlimited book) is a pretty powerful character. Is it over-powered? Not compared to some of the opponents that character might face.
I guess it's all relative; if you had a 15th level character in DnD, it's not like you're going to fight a few 8 HP orcs as your biggest challenge. I mean, you could, but it wouldn't be much of a challenge, and you wouldn't get much experience or loot from such a fight.

MeKonopa
December 27th, 2016, 17:41
Yeah, I've looked through the books and found that some of the enemies you can run across, both in the 'main' story as well as via random encounters can take on a good twenty OP'd characters and curb stomp them into the dust. The four horseman from Africa is a perfect example: equal to any god from pantheons of the megaverse, and you encounter them in the 'second' main campaign? Yeah, let's throw a couple of juicers, a cyber-knight, and a vagabond at them. I can just imagine death going 'mmm, hero butter for my innocent victim toast...' Backup or not, such encounters will end badly.

Don't get me wrong, I love that Palladium games in general and Rifts in particular forces the players to play smart, but damn. That's Dark Souls level difficulty right there.

High Pitch
December 28th, 2016, 15:24
The BBG's in Rifts tend to be alien intelligences, which have MDC in the thousands or tens of thousands. Obviously, creatures like that are far beyond the ability of most normal parties to challenge, not unless you get a few hundred (or a few thousand) mercs or Glitter Boys or armored vehicles to surround one and concentrate their fire. Then again, most such intelligences have hundreds if not thousands of their own minions surrounding them at all times.
I'm not sure if Palladium ever developed mass combat rules for situations like that...

MeKonopa
January 14th, 2017, 01:49
Don't suppose you'd still be interested in running a game?