PDA

View Full Version : Flying Characters

allencoded
December 23rd, 2016, 01:21
How do you guys handle showing flying NPC and PCs on the maps I have been using a status but wondering some other input.

Ken L
December 23rd, 2016, 01:28
I just edit an effect 'flying 50ft' etc. Would be cool if the rule set had a way to illustrate height. It's definitely extensible, but I found it easier to just edit an effect name given how rare it comes up (tactically).

Hurske
December 23rd, 2016, 02:39
I made custom tokens of height, they just drag their own token and different elevation token around.

LordEntrails
December 23rd, 2016, 02:59
I made custom tokens of height, they just drag their own token and different elevation token around.
Care to share some screenshots? Would be interesting to see.

Nickademus
December 23rd, 2016, 03:18
I put letter tokens next to the creature to note altitude.

Hurske
December 23rd, 2016, 05:02
Care to share some screenshots? Would be interesting to see.

I'm at work right now Lord, I'll post the Tokens when I get home.

Answulf
December 23rd, 2016, 06:15
I put letter tokens next to the creature to note altitude.

That's what I do too - usually it's just the F for "flying". Boring but easy.

Hurske
December 23rd, 2016, 08:39
Ok, here is a link to the dropbox if you want to use em, goes from 10ft to 100, in 10 foot increments.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yejfbmmgboyoof6/Height%20Numbers.zip?dl=0

https://i63.tinypic.com/qoj1xj.png

turelus
December 23rd, 2016, 10:27
Normally my group adds the arrow template pointing up/down at the number of ft. next to the tokens.

For my new campaign I have actually made a map which is just a large graph where we will place tokens for their heights and calculating 3d aspects of spells. These will just be place holder tokens as well, not ones linked to the combat tracker.

LordEntrails
December 24th, 2016, 04:43
@Hurske,
Thanks for sharing :)

Hurske
December 24th, 2016, 16:21
@Hurske,
Thanks for sharing :)

You're welcome, they might not be the best looking things in the world, but they get the job done.

Mavrik6666
March 5th, 2017, 15:52
how do you guys handle showing flying npc and pcs on the maps i have been using a status but wondering some other input.

bump

LordEntrails
March 5th, 2017, 16:46
bump
I don't think anyone has anything else to add. Either put a second token near it (either a letter, number or custom token) indicating height or put an effect in the combat tracker.

My group, we just stated it out loud and remember.

Griogre
March 5th, 2017, 18:08
I'm like LordEntrails, I just state heights and they remember or ask. My players know most flyers stay out of melee if they have a range attack and I remind them at the start their round if something's changed. If its really complicated I'll tilt tokens 45 degrees to differentiate flyers, burrowers or whatever.

Edit: for PCs just have them type in chat their final height and if they don't type anything they are at the same height.