PDA

View Full Version : PC Automaton in Deadlands

GoddTodd
December 22nd, 2016, 08:27
I have a player that want's to play a sentient automaton.
My gut reaction was Mary Sue, but after talking with her, I think she'd be way into playing to it's hindrances.
We just finished Feast of Famine, and the party took a bunch of Ghost Rock from the Generous Salesman's wagon and didn't destroy it.
That means the Salesman can come back from time to time.

We're about to start on Hellstromme Express, and I'm thinking the Mad Scientist of the posse, could build a robot that comes to life for one of two reasons or both.

1. The Generous Salesman's Ghost Rock is what makes her alive, if you fuel her with regular ghost rock, she loses her sense of self.
That forces the posse to face a moral dilemma of letting the Salesman live when he shows up from time to time to hell them his special Ghost Rock and in his words, "Stay out of my other business affairs."
That puts a lot of karmic luggage on the posse for keeping their robot alive.

2. What if there's a brain somewhere in the robot and she's Harrowed? In a lot of ways I could see a Harrowed character and a robot being kind of the same. They are tough to kill, they are outsiders, the manitou taking over could be explained away as a short circuit until the posse figures out what's going on. She also suggested the idea that the robot might have to eat gross stuff like eyeballs or something, so I think that would line up with the eating meat and roadkill for healing.

I also explained to her that the robot has to have personality. Even if it doesn't speak she's going to have to make it expressive through pantomime and noises.
I kind of like the idea of her being a Calamity Jane type personality, but she has to talk though some cheap robot voice modulator toy. But ultimately it's her decision what personality she's going to put into it.

As a suggestion, I recommended going with the Half Orc race and trapping it as a Robot. Repairs and upgrades will take time and will come in the form of whatever skills or edges she chooses with the points she earns as she plays the game. NO Inspector Gadget/Swiss Army plot solution attachment system.

What do you folks think?

BDaniel
December 25th, 2016, 16:59
I think the concept is really cool. I have only played a little Deadlands but I think you could barrow from the SciFi companion on upkeep and mods rules but keeping with the trapping of DLR. Using Ghost rock as a power source is ideal IMO. In my Last Parsec game I have a PC who plays an Android that passes itself off as human.