PDA

View Full Version : Hellfrost Provlems

goodmanje
December 21st, 2016, 04:16
I've come across a problem with the Hellfrost tables. When I click on them the console window and an empty table open up. Also noticed there is no table for spell backlash caused by the siphoning...

ddavison
December 21st, 2016, 14:21
We will look into it and get back with you.

Mask_of_winter
December 21st, 2016, 14:25
It's a html table, this module was created before there were actual tables on FG. It's in the library. See screenshot.
https://i.imgur.com/1RxEgy5.jpg

goodmanje
December 21st, 2016, 22:44
Understood, thanks! Let me ask one more thing... According to the Hellfrost Players guide each type of magic has an associated skill (Hrimwisardry, Song Magic, Cut-Rune, etc...). None of those are in the skill list. So when I create a power for a character it rolls as unskilled every time. If I just create a skill entry called "cut-rune d8" can I somehow tell the power to use that for rolls?

Ikael
December 21st, 2016, 23:02
SmiteWorks/Doswelk should add those arcane skills into Hellfrost module. However the skill should auto-link to your arcane rolls if you have name the skill correctly

Hendell
December 21st, 2016, 23:06
for example if you make a druid and take that arcane background go to your skills tab and make a new skill and name it druidism and you will be set.

If your unsure what to call it put a power in and let it roll unskilled and you will get the spelling you need for the skill in chat.

It would be handy if they were included though.

goodmanje
December 21st, 2016, 23:49
That worked perfect for Hrimwisardry Hendell. Thanks! Now I'm trying to do the same thing for Rune Magic and having problems. Looking at a character in the Hellfrost Heroes & Villians Compendium, he has Arcane Background (Rune Magic) and a skill called Cut-Rune. There are 21 different runes and each has three powers associated with it. If I add a power the chat window just shows the power name and unskilled. I tried creating a skill called Cut-Rune and it doesn't get used. Not sure how to make this one work. Seems like the Hellfrost setting could use some TLC.

Hendell
December 22nd, 2016, 00:09
OK from what I can tell the rune mage would need its own skill or rune to call on.

The powers seem to be referencing itself on each casting, bolt referencing bolt, aim referencing aim ect.

Note sure there is a work around for that one that I know of and I could be completely wrong on this.

goodmanje
December 22nd, 2016, 01:03
Ok, I'm seeing the same. Hopefully a developer will be able to correct this.

lokiare
December 22nd, 2016, 20:34
I've come across a problem with the Hellfrost tables. When I click on them the console window and an empty table open up. Also noticed there is no table for spell backlash caused by the siphoning...

Can you explain in more detail please? Which table were you trying to open? What did you click to get to the table that threw the console window? If you can give us more details, then we can quickly pinpoint the problem and help you out.

I've looked at the module and there are no tables in the table window because this is an older module that didn't create tables. All tables in this module are likely to be within a reference page.

goodmanje
December 23rd, 2016, 03:06
The tables are listed under the table window but they don't work.

Another issue I was discussing with Hendell above.... There are no skills defined for the different types of magic. There is also no way to implement powers for characters with the Rune-magic Arcane Background. The spells always roll as untrained.

Thanks!!!

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2016, 01:17
I can add the skills and fix the tables, but I'm not sure how the Savage Worlds code handles the Rune Magic background where each set of powers has it's own skill. Perhaps Ikael knows how this is done.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2016, 01:28
I pushed an update into the beta channel that removes the invalid table links (they are still visible in the module text where referenced, but not in the list of rollable tables), and adds the various arcane skills to the campaign skills list.

Cheers,
JPG

Ikael
December 24th, 2016, 16:24
That worked perfect for Hrimwisardry Hendell. Thanks! Now I'm trying to do the same thing for Rune Magic and having problems. Looking at a character in the Hellfrost Heroes & Villians Compendium, he has Arcane Background (Rune Magic) and a skill called Cut-Rune. There are 21 different runes and each has three powers associated with it. If I add a power the chat window just shows the power name and unskilled. I tried creating a skill called Cut-Rune and it doesn't get used. Not sure how to make this one work. Seems like the Hellfrost setting could use some TLC.

After reading Rune Magic arcane background I must say that's tricky one. Current ruleset/extension is not able to handle situation where one skill would be used for three powers. Simply said you cannot setup/roll that from powers section atm. You must make the rolls from skills section. This will probably prevent targeting features as well from Rune Magic powers.

Developer might have to update the SavageWorlds ruleset to support this kind of setup...

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2016, 21:25
Thanks for your thoughts, Ikael.

For the time being, those rolls will have to be made from the skill section as Ikael stated. We'll add per-power skill support to the wish list for SW.

Regards,
JPG

Ikael
December 24th, 2016, 21:43
Thanks for your thoughts, Ikael.

For the time being, those rolls will have to be made from the skill section as Ikael stated. We'll add per-power skill support to the wish list for SW.

Regards,
JPG

Super Power arcane background approach is already supported by the ruleset, ie. You must have corresponding skill for each power. However in Rune Magic case one skill should be able cover three powers

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2016, 21:53
I wasn't familiar with that option, but that's another approach that would allow aiming to continue to work.

You would need to maintain a skill for each power, and upgrade them together as your Rune skill increased. (i.e. Aim skill for Aim power) You can even name the skill "Aim (Arrow-Rune)" to identify them more easily.

Cheers,
JPG