PDA

View Full Version : Wiki Update Needed

Nickademus
December 20th, 2016, 22:36
With the new functionality of the index windows, the wiki entry for tables (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tables) (specifically making a random encounter table) should be updated with the information for utilizing the Random button on encounters described in the wiki entry for encounters (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters). Or rather, the example should be changed to something else. It is currently a bit misleading to show an obsolete way to do random encounters.

Bidmaron
December 20th, 2016, 22:52
Nickademus, why is it obsolete? The random button in encounters only lets you select from a list of random encounters you have populated. The table method lets you randomly select the encounter akin to the old 'wandering monster' encounter tables. I agree it probably should mention that you can generate a specific random encounter from the encounter window, but the example is not necessarily obsolete (if it stated that you would then need to build similar random encounters and place them in a parent random table to randomly select the encounter).

Nickademus
December 20th, 2016, 22:55
Read the last section of the second link I posted. Random encounters are now a function of encounters, not tables.

Bidmaron
December 20th, 2016, 22:59
Nickademus, I know that. But you cannot with the encounters random capability have it randomly roll from a list of random encounters. You can manually select one and generate an encounter from that with random numbers of individual monsters, but you cannot use that facility to randomly select from a list of random encounters. That is why I say the example would be correct if you point out that you then need to make additional encounter tables and a master table that rolls to select which encounter to use.

Zacchaeus
December 20th, 2016, 23:36
I have to agree with Bidmaron. The example in the tables Wiki is designed to show how to create linked tables to create a set of random encounters. This is not what the random encounter functionality does. The latter creates a single encounter with a random number of NPCs.

I could add something pointing out the random encounter functionality but I think the tables entry is still valid.

Bidmaron
December 20th, 2016, 23:46
I would also argue that even if it were obsolete, it is trying to show table use concepts. Sure, you could dream up something different (although nothing pops to mind), but most are familiar with the concept of a random encounter table and the example thus doesn't suffer from the 'well, why in the world would you ever do that' syndrome that examples often suffer.

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2016, 19:21
I updated the Wiki to alert the user to the random encounters function.